Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

A friend of mine who was a long-time Days viewer persuaded me to watch the show for the great John/Marlena in the late 90s. I became a casual viewer ever since, but the couple never really impressed me. It wasn't until when I saw both characters outside of Jarlena which made me see them in a different light. Deidre appeared to be a lovely person offscreen but Marlena somehow resembled an ice-cold that de-energized John. Drake, like Vanessa Marcil and Michael Easton, was sex on a stick who could have hot chemistry with an inanimate object. He looked young, sexy, funny and just comfortable around other female co-stars. Deidre was like that with the original Roman too. John and Marlena however struke me more as two companions who stuck together all these years because of familiarity and family moreso than love and passion and similar interests. 

Edited by spookyseason
spelling check
  • Like 1

My UO is that I don’t understand the animosity between Marlena fans and Isabella fans. Isabella told Marlena to take care of John when she died and Marlena named her daughter after Isabella. They weren’t besties, but they weren’t rivals for John’s affections, for long actually. I’m probably the only person in the world who liked both women. I liked early Kristen too.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
9 hours ago, SouthernChick said:

My UO is that I don’t understand the animosity between Marlena fans and Isabella fans. Isabella told Marlena to take care of John when she died and Marlena named her daughter after Isabella. They weren’t besties, but they weren’t rivals for John’s affections, for long actually. I’m probably the only person in the world who liked both women. I liked early Kristen too.

Marlena was there for Isabella at her wedding to John and a great support for her during her cancer diagnosis. I don't dislike Marlena just don't like her with John. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, brisbydog said:

Marlena was there for Isabella at her wedding to John and a great support for her during her cancer diagnosis. I don't dislike Marlena just don't like her with John. 

That makes sense. I am John and Marlena fan, but I also liked John and Isabella and John and Kristen, pre-craziness. 

I didn’t like John with Kate, Rebecca, Hope/Gina, Diana, or Ava.

Edited by SouthernChick
  • Like 1
On 9/2/2023 at 1:50 PM, DisneyBoy said:

Yeah it did make Shane look inept as hell...

Brady didn't hear Theresa out or forgive her for putting him and Tate first, which was the point of her leaving like that. Then, he blamed her for leaving Chloe behind even though they were both hostages and Theresa was barely able to get Xander to help her outta there - and he loathes her to begin with!

And in top of that, he stayed involved with Eve and fought to have custody of Tate. He allowed these two sisters to go to battle over him, essentially, since both wanted to marry him.

I don't remember all the details of the court case - it's been a while - but he was his usual condemning, venom-spewing self. He inevitably treats all women who get involved with him like garbage. And didn't someone try to plant drugs at JJ's apartment where Theresa was staying just to make her seem unfit or something?

A real man would have said "Okay. I still hate what you did and how it hurt us, but you made a brave sacrifice and suffered for months, and I appreciate that and feel bad for you. It's not cool for me to try and marry your sister and drive a wedge between you two in the process. I can't see the two of you hating each other because of me as being good for Tate...so I'm calling off the engagement and agreeing to splitting custody. We all need time to process and heal. Fair?"

That's where things kinda ended up anyway right? But because this is a soap, everyone had to be terrible first and create drama.

And let's get real, he never loved Eve. 

Eve was the one that planted drugs in JJ's apartment to help Brady's custody case. 

Brady blamed Theresa because she never told them that Chloe was being held hostage he found that out from John/Paul. Theresa only thought of herself as usual.

I think Brady cared for Eve but the only women I believe he was truly taken by are Chloe and Kristen every one else was a placeholder.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Theresa only thought of herself as usual.

Um, so would I if I was a sex slave to a psycho, with a child back home who needed me and only one chance to get the heck out... 

I mean, how dumb was Chloe to not thoroughly look into this great "job" she was hired for? Do your research before you board a plane with total strangers!

Eve was the one that planted drugs in JJ's apartment to help Brady's custody case. 

Ugh. Yikes. So gross. I'd forgotten who did it. Oh Eve. Sad.

I think Brady cared for Eve but the only women I believe he was truly taken by are Chloe and Kristen every one else was a placeholder.

I missed his first round with Chloe back in the day, so I'd say Kristen and Theresa were his two big loves. He and Theresa were in really good place for a while there.

• Like 3
5 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Um, so would I if I was a sex slave to a psycho, with a child back home who needed me and only one chance to get the heck out... 

I mean, how dumb was Chloe to not thoroughly look into this great "job" she was hired for? Do your research before you board a plane with total strangers!

Ugh. Yikes. So gross. I'd forgotten who did it. Oh Eve. Sad.

I missed his first round with Chloe back in the day, so I'd say Kristen and Theresa were his two big loves. He and Theresa were in really good place for a while there.

Theresa could have told Brady about Chloe if she really cared but she didn’t want to because Chloe  was his ex wife. 

She does this with every person Brady cares about she claims to love him but only on her terms which isn’t love. It’s just a less psychotic version of Kristen. 

• Applause 2
On 9/4/2023 at 11:32 PM, DisneyBoy said:

I think the poster was referring to when she landed in Salem and kept quiet. In the midst of her being rescued no one blames her for getting her freedom,  but intentionally keeping it a secret that Chloe was there as well is pretty evil. Although Theresa was always a little insecure about Chloe even though Brady and Chloe weren't interested in each other then. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
1 minute ago, DisneyBoy said:

Did she really keep it a secret though? I seem to recall Chloe returning on the heels of Theresa practically...

I may be misremembering. 

Yes she kept its secret. When Chloe finally got released she confronted Theresa over it.

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Did she really keep it a secret though? I seem to recall Chloe returning on the heels of Theresa practically...

I may be misremembering. 

21 minutes ago, SouthernChick said:

Yes she kept its secret. When Chloe finally got released she confronted Theresa over it.

Yes to @SouthernChick. It was Lucas who convinced John and Paul to search for Chloe. Theresa didn't care.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

Yes to @SouthernChick. It was Lucas who convinced John and Paul to search for Chloe. Theresa didn't care.

After Chloe opened her mouth and started singing for The Noodle, I didn't care, either.

Show asks way tooooooo much of its viewers.

• LOL 3
On 9/8/2023 at 5:36 PM, JBC344 said:

I think the poster was referring to when she landed in Salem and kept quiet. In the midst of her being rescued no one blames her for getting her freedom,  but intentionally keeping it a secret that Chloe was there as well is pretty evil. Although Theresa was always a little insecure about Chloe even though Brady and Chloe weren't interested in each other then. 

Correct

• Like 1

I don't remember Theresa having any thoughts on Chloe at all during her last stint on the show. I never got the impression she "left" Chloe behind to keep her from stealing away Brady or something. It was more like every woman for herself...and then trying to put her life back together and discovering it wouldn't work.

Look, obviously Theresa's "bad girl" era left a bad taste in a lot of people's mouths, and I get that, but I always enjoyed JL's energy in the role and appreciated her chemistry with everyone. I *hate* what's happening with her right now.

Okay, so my current UO is that...while I do think Tinker is a decent actor and looks good on camera, I still don't completely buy him as Sonny. His delivery and energy never matched early-Freddie's calm, sensitive take on Sonny. Plus I think he's a bit shorter, right? And he definitely looks younger than Freddie...and that makes it also seem like he's younger than Will, changing their dynamics a bit. I don't like Will as the "older" partner there.

Tinker and Chandler never had compelling chemistry either. They're fine and that's about it.

It makes me sad because Wilson were one of the few couples from the last decade to really work, and now they can't use flashbacks now that Freddie is gone...and the replacement just feels like...a replacement.

I know they're not even really on the show anymore and that Freddie is no longer appropriate as Sonny (his last months were really weird and uncomfortable) but it feels like Wilson are gone now and all we have are Chandler's Will....and some guy who isn't offensive but isn't really Sonny either.

...just me?

• Like 4
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, DisneyBoy said:

Okay, so my current UO is that...while I do think Tinker is a decent actor and looks good on camera, I still don't completely buy him as Sonny. His delivery and energy never matched early-Freddie's calm, sensitive take on Sonny. Plus I think he's a bit shorter, right? And he definitely looks younger than Freddie...and that makes it also seem like he's younger than Will, changing their dynamics a bit. I don't like Will as the "older" partner there.

Tinker and Chandler never had compelling chemistry either. They're fine and that's about it.

It makes me sad because Wilson were one of the few couples from the last decade to really work, and now they can't use flashbacks now that Freddie is gone...and the replacement just feels like...a replacement.

I know they're not even really on the show anymore and that Freddie is no longer appropriate as Sonny (his last months were really weird and uncomfortable) but it feels like Wilson are gone now and all we have are Chandler's Will....and some guy who isn't offensive but isn't really Sonny either.

...just me?

Not just you.  I think Tinker is fine, would be fine, as a character but he's not Sonny.  I remember what a breath of fresh air Freddie Smith was, IMO, when he first came on Show and how layered and interesting a character I thought he was.  Frankly, at that time, I liked him far more than I did Chandler.  He deteriorated as time went by, maybe because his own life deteriorated, I dont know.  But, by the end of his run I was disenchanted and happy to see him leave.  

Tinker was, IMO, pretty wretched when he was on Y&R so I was very pleasantly surprised by how good he was when he came to DOOL.  I still think he's good but he's not Sonny.  Too loud, too fast on the draw, too rabbity in all ways for that character.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1

I seem to remember someone threatening to hurt Tate If Teresa talked about Chloe.  It was still very wrong.   Zander left Chloe there too and Chloe seems fine with that lol.   
my UO 

always like Will more then Sonny.   

• Like 1
3 hours ago, tribeca said:

I find Wendi and Tripp sweet not boring.  

I don’t dislike them like everyone else does either. I have seen worse couples on this show. I do wish they would delve into family drama with them though. Like her family not approving her being tied to a mob family etc. Or Tripp being torn by it etc 

I don’t get why this is so hard to write?

• Like 7
  • Applause 2
(edited)

Seriously. Generally-speaking, aren't Asian families particular about who their kids date and marry? Especially in the case of their daughters? Especially when they're from wealthy families?

It's pretty surprising that with Li dead, Wendy's managed to stay in Salem on her own, with no family around, even though her father ran DiMera for years and is loaded.

Edited by DisneyBoy
  • Like 6
13 hours ago, DisneyBoy said:

Seriously. Generally-speaking, aren't Asian families particular about who their kids date and marry? Especially in the case of their daughters? Especially when they're from wealthy families?

It's pretty surprising that with Li dead, Wendy's managed to stay in Salem on her own, with no family around, even though her father ran DiMera for years and is loaded.

As an Asian yes this is true. I wonder if he would approve of Tripp. Sure he’s a doctor but who his family is and him being white would be a concern of his

• Like 5