Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

My Unpopular Opinions:

I preferred Bo/Carly to Bo/Hope

I prefer Philip/Belle (JKJ and MM) to Shawn/Belle. 

I prefer Sami/Lucas to Sami/anyone else

I liked Daniel and liked him with Chloe. That was my favorite Daniel pairing, and I didn’t mind him with Jennifer either.

BF’s Chad is too hot to be paired with  MM’s Abby. I liked him with Gabi.

Marlena should have been allowed to move on with a hot new guy while John was chasing Kristen instead of wait around, celibate, for 4 years. John should have had to fight for her. She made it too easy for him.

• Love 3
41 minutes ago, tribeca said:

UO

I don’t mind Rafe. 
do wonder how a relationship with Ava would work.   Besides her being nuts I mean.  Rafe has always wanted a child.  Ava could not even love her own child. 

I'll never understand why the show didn't make Rafe sterile. It would give him more motive to constantly try to steal men's children; it would make his relationships with his "surrogate children" more meaningful; it would have given him a reason to resent E.J. beyond Sami; and it would have given the actor a chance to at some meaty emotional material. Also, while women are constantly discovering they can't have children for whatever reason, it would be great to see a man also have his need for children be a motivating factor and to juxtapose how that motivates his actions versus female characters. I think this is a huge missed opportunity for the show.

I know Mickey was never able to have biological children - for whatever reason - and that was a motivating factor in his story for literal decades. Sadly, I wasn't alive to see those storylines, but the Wiki entries make the Mickey/Laura/Bill/Mike and the Mickey/Maggie/Linda/Melissa storylines sound quite exciting. I also know there was some drama with Mickey/Maggie/Neil/Sarah. There's no reason they couldn't have done the same with Rafe and developed his character more. Quite frankly, he needed it.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I'll never understand why the show didn't make Rafe sterile. It would give him more motive to constantly try to steal men's children; it would make his relationships with his "surrogate children" more meaningful; it would have given him a reason to resent E.J. beyond Sami; and it would have given the actor a chance to at some meaty emotional material. Also, while women are constantly discovering they can't have children for whatever reason, it would be great to see a man also have his need for children be a motivating factor and to juxtapose how that motivates his actions versus female characters. I think this is a huge missed opportunity for the show.

I know Mickey was never able to have biological children - for whatever reason - and that was a motivating factor in his story for literal decades. Sadly, I wasn't alive to see those storylines, but the Wiki entries make the Mickey/Laura/Bill/Mike and the Mickey/Maggie/Linda/Melissa storylines sound quite exciting. I also know there was some drama with Mickey/Maggie/Neil/Sarah. There's no reason they couldn't have done the same with Rafe and developed his character more. Quite frankly, he needed it.

Mickey was sterile he got himself tested because he was wondering why he couldn't conceive a child with his then wife Laura at the time. Tom knew that Mickey was sterile and kept it to himself because he found out that Laura got pregnant with Mike via rape from Bill. Mickey didn't find out until years later that Mike wasn't his and ended up being committed at one point. Mike used to always call Mickey dad despite that(until recently then it was just Uncle Mickey but its not surprising JER wouldn't care about such a thing)

I wish I was around to watch it but when I read about it this storyline sounded way more interesting than what we've seen in years.

I agree this would've been something they could've done with Rafe as the show surprisingly hasn't given him any kids and I don't get why they didn't go this route with him.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

My Unpopular Opinions:

Marlena should have been allowed to move on with a hot new guy while John was chasing Kristen instead of wait around, celibate, for 4 years. John should have had to fight for her. She made it too easy for him.

I think this version of Phillip/Belle fit better than Shelle do.

I do agree that Marlena made it too easy for John back then. However its what I pointed out in a different thread how the men tend to be allowed to move on with other women and have kids elsewhere than the women of the show(except Nicole/Sami).

I also think at the time they wanted to move John onto a younger female instead of Marlena but JER I think insisted on Marlena which I guess is surprising as the aged woman tends to be tossed aside for the younger one. Plus this is what happened with Marlena and her love interested. They tossed Don aside for Roman and Roman aside for John.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

My Unpopular Opinions:

I preferred Bo/Carly to Bo/Hope

I prefer Sami/Lucas to Sami/anyone else

I liked Daniel and liked him with Chloe. That was my favorite Daniel pairing, and I didn’t mind him with Jennifer either.

BF’s Chad is too hot to be paired with  MM’s Abby. I liked him with Gabi.

I loved everything in your post except for the Daniel love, we like what we like and it is what it is..

16 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I also think at the time they wanted to move John onto a younger female instead of Marlena but JER I think insisted on Marlena which I guess is surprising as the aged woman tends to be tossed aside for the younger one. Plus this is what happened with Marlena and her love interested. They tossed Don aside for Roman and Roman aside for John.

I think Marlena and Don breaking up was about the slow deterioration of a couple that grew apart stemming from the death of a child.  That  type of grief often breaks up couples because it is such an overwhelming grief and at times the parents will blame each other for the death. I think Don blamed Marlena for DJ's death, it was unspoken and it tore them apart. Marlena also blamed herself as his mom she felt that she should have done something to save him.  Don cheated on Marlena and Marlena got raped. The trust and love was no longer there. So I never saw Don being thrown under the bus for Roman.  I love that bittersweet scene when Marlena had the twins and he came to see her.  You could tell they were both thinking about their son DJ who died of SIDS. Not to mention that Eric had issues with his lungs that were not as developed as Sami's due to his position in the womb. 

Roman came into her life when she was concentrating on her work that led to a crazy stalker to terrorize her.  It was organic and I think their chemistry took the show by surprise.  One of the reasons that Marlena is with John is due to the retcon of him not being Roman. The show's biggest mistake in my opinion but I digress.  The show's audience had already moved on from Wayne's Roman/Marlena to Drake's Roman/Marlena so him not being Roman did not change how the audience feel. Plus, Drake's Roman was on the show for 5 years and had his own stories. I think the retcon deepened the bond and love that the they felt for him after losing everything and wanted Marlena to be with him no matter what he called himself.  The writing also did Roman no favors.  He acted like a controlling jerk and I did sympathize with him but he never once considered Marlena's feelings about anything.  It was all about him. He did the same thing to Carrie, expecting her to forget John. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 2
  • Love 2

Unless they're going to recast Eric or something I don't get why the show kept Nicole. I'm usually against dumping an actress/character if they want to stay while the other half of there. However they have no idea what to do with her now.

The irony is Nicole never needed a pairing to be relevant on this show but that's not the case anymore.

They should've just written off Eric/Nicole as a HEA then bring them back when needed.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Unless they're going to recast Eric or something I don't get why the show kept Nicole. I'm usually against dumping an actress/character if they want to stay while the other half of there. However they have no idea what to do with her now.

The irony is Nicole never needed a pairing to be relevant on this show but that's not the case anymore.

They should've just written off Eric/Nicole as a HEA then bring them back when needed.

I also think that Nicole's miracle baby should have been Eric's and not Daniel.  We should have seen the highs and lows when it comes to surrogacy.  Nicole has always been very jealous and it would have been interesting to see her reaction to another woman carrying her baby and her growing bond with Eric and the unborn child..

Would she succumb to her dark side and do something erratic that could potentially destroy her dreams of having a baby or would she learn to trust Eric and be mature.  It could have  been a great character arch for Nicole. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

I was expecting Nicole to hook up with Rafe, but it looks now like it's going to be Ava, which bugs me. How can the whole town live and let live with the woman responsible for Shawn Brady's death?

• Love 6

Yup.  YUUUUUPPPP!

But now she never will be.

And after all thd build-up for her and Theo as a couple, he's being turned into an obstacle for Cin. It's just insulting. Ciara should be into Theo because he's a great guy. Not purely because he's an exit storyline.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Rafael said:

axe Nicole, which actually may be the best option at this point.

Either that, or bring AZ back as another character. It worked for Josh Taylor, so it could work for her...plus her fans would be thrilled.

• Love 1
On 5/3/2021 at 6:56 AM, Rafael said:

Time to recast the role of Eric Brady .

Perhaps they should Re-cast the role with Jason Lewis 

OIP-3.jpeg

Yesss please!! If he played Eric..I’m on board 

never liked Non original Eric.

• Love 3
On 5/9/2021 at 8:59 PM, Chellfairy said:

Yesss please!! If he played Eric..I’m on board 

never liked Non original Eric.

Is Jensen Ackles considered original Eric?  I never watched Supernatural, but I still love him.  His band, radio company, is really good too.  Maybe when he's done with his show on Amazon he could come back.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

Is Jensen Ackles considered original Eric?  I never watched Supernatural, but I still love him.  His band, radio company, is really good too.  Maybe when he's done with his show on Amazon he could come back.

Well as far as memorable Eric's yes as there were child actors who were Eric but none of them really stood out (course I felt Eric was a red headed stepchild compared to Carrie and later on Sami and Belle he got lost in the shuffle)

• Love 2
(edited)
33 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Well as far as memorable Eric's yes as there were child actors who were Eric but none of them really stood out (course I felt Eric was a red headed stepchild compared to Carrie and later on Sami and Belle he got lost in the shuffle)

I never saw  Eric as a being a stepchild in comparison to Carrie as a kid. He was when it came to Sami as a young adult and beyond though.  The show has never been interested in the other legacy children other than Sami.  Even Carrie was sidelined in her favor and she had better stories as a kid than as an adult.  

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 2
(edited)
6 hours ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I believe he was! I don’t remember young, young Sami and Eric....so when I started watching, (again) he was the one!  I’ve never watched Supernatural either..I tried..just couldn’t get into it.

I knew he was in a band..but haven’t listened to any music..and did NOT even know  he had a podcast/radio station. I’ll have to check it out!

Really wish he’d come back..but can’t see why he would. 😖😩. Also..hated him and Nicole together then.. wonder how the chem would be now?

Edited by Chellfairy
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I never saw  Eric as a being a stepchild in comparison to Carrie as a kid. He was when it came to Sami as a young adult and beyond though.  The show has never been interested in the other legacy children other than Sami.  Even Carrie was sidelined in her favor and she had better stories as a kid than as an adult.  

I never understood it. Could not stand Sami for a loooong time. Her crying (the way she cries..the whiny crying/fake tears , the noise) was-is like nails on a chalkboard.

And it always pissed me off how Carrie was just tooooo nice. And how Sami, despite her scheming ALWAYS seems to get the guys..but hey, 🤷‍♀️

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Chellfairy said:

I never understood it. Could not stand Sami for a loooong time. Her crying (the way she cries..the whiny crying/fake tears , the noise) was-is like nails on a chalkboard.

And it always pissed me off how Carrie was just tooooo nice. And how Sami, despite her scheming ALWAYS seems to get the guys..but hey, 🤷‍♀️

The show does not know how to write for heroines anymore.  They can only write for the bad girls and then give her a sob story to justify her heinous behavior..

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, Chellfairy said:

Sami has only gotten 5 guys in her 20+ years as a adult on the show. One guy was Austin who chose Carrie over her every time. Another was Rafe, so blech. Another was Lucas whom I personally hate. 

Sami got Brandon and EJ and even they slept with other women despite them being in love/involved with Sami.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, nilyank said:

Sami has only gotten 5 guys in her 20+ years as a adult on the show. One guy was Austin who chose Carrie over her every time. Another was Rafe, so blech. Another was Lucas whom I personally hate. 

Sami got Brandon and EJ and even they slept with other women despite them being in love/involved with Sami.

Karma??

Agreed..Rafe...sooo boring

EJ..why?

I forgot about Brandon.

Sami never seems to be able to be faithful to a guy either..emotionally-physically, no matter how hard she tried/tries.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

The show does not know how to write for heroines anymore.  They can only write for the bad girls and then give her a sob story to justify her heinous behavior..

Where its not so sob worthy. The only ones I found sob worthy were Nicole and CR's Eve but they were always outsiders so it also helped.

Others? I ended up rolling my eyes over it and tend to root for the good girls on this show.

• Love 3

I always preferred Claire to Ciara.  Ciara did some crappy things and never got called out on them.  
  Claire needs to get her passion for music back.  Step out of Ciaras shadow and mark her own way. 

• Love 7
20 minutes ago, tribeca said:

I always preferred Claire to Ciara.  Ciara did some crappy things and never got called out on them.  
  Claire needs to get her passion for music back.  Step out of Ciaras shadow and mark her own way. 

I agree about Claire. Ciara always came across as prideful and arrogant. I’d like to see Claire get a job at Basic Black. 
Also? Ben and Claire’s make out session was hotter than any Cin love scene.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, tribeca said:

Except Olivia was a singer and ID is a dancer not singer so it will be harder to do. But the April Fool Day episode reminded that both Chloe and Claire were working with a Philip and his record company. Not Basic Black or unemployed as they both are now.

• Love 4

During ORK's stint on the show she and Chloe worked together at Phillip's record company(when JPL was in the role) I think they should've kept that storyline for them but Phillip was written out of the show shortly after I think.

• Love 3
(edited)
2 hours ago, nilyank said:

Except Olivia was a singer and ID is a dancer not singer so it will be harder to do. But the April Fool Day episode reminded that both Chloe and Claire were working with a Philip and his record company. Not Basic Black or unemployed as they both are now.

Chloe works with Brady and Nicole, and Philip works with Gabi. However, I do agree that Claire needs something outside of Ciara to justify her existence.

Actually, I think I misread what you said. My bad.

Edited by 4evaQuez
  • Love 2
(edited)

I prefer the original Claire over this horrendous recast.  She ages Shelle too much. It was bad enough when Olivia's Claire came to be but it is even worst with this recast.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 10
29 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

I loved Shawn and Mimi, too! Can you link to where you found the clips, please?

Yea, please!

11 hours ago, TenaciousWarrior said:

I was just watching some old YouTube clips and I had forgotten how much I liked Shawn and Mimi together!

Yessssss!!!! ❣️

• Love 1

My unpopular opinion is that I actually think Ben is one of the best integrated new characters post 2000s this show has had, and I think he can stand as a character even without Ciara. I also don't hold being a serial killer against him - he didn't kill anyone I cared about - and it's given him a ton of material that the show still uses in his relationship with Ciara. I think the only thing holding Ben back is the limitation of the actor, but he still does a serviceable job.

He has friends, Jake and Claire. Rivalries - most of the men in his age range, Evan, Sami, Vincent, Eve, Abby, Chad. A maternal figure, Marlena. A villainous father, Clyde. A soul mate, Ciara. And the show even wanted to build some type of gothic connection between him and Will.  There's also potential in a Ben/Allie pairing considering the Will, Sami, and Ciara histories. 

I can't think of any other new character - especially male characters - that are as well integrated as Ben currently is on canvas.

6 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

There's also potential in a Ben/Allie pairing considering the Will, Sami, and Ciara histories. 

I would absolutely love to see the Ben and Allie actors try to sell a romance. I kinda need this to happen now lol.

I can't think of any other new character - especially male characters - that are as well integrated as Ben currently is on canvas.

Yea, that's the problem for me lol.

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

I loved Shawn and Mimi, too! Can you link to where you found the clips, please?

I wish I could link. I don’t know how to link to YouTube. I just put in “Shawn and Mimi Days of our Lives” and got a lot of good clips!

• Useful 1

I think Ben is centralized but not necessarily integrated.  And yes, I'm probably making up a distinction but people tend to circle around Ben just for the sake of it.  When Ciara came back, the concern was about getting Ciara's memory back for Ben.  When Ciara was kidnapped, it was Ben trying to fight his past.  When Ben was kidnapped, people were worried for Ben. When people hate Ben, it's wrong and it's meant for Ben Pain.

When I think of integration, I think of relationships people have with other characters.  I think of being supporting and lead and even background. 

Or at least that's my story and I'm sticking to it!

• Love 7
On 5/27/2021 at 6:32 PM, peachmangosteen said:

I would absolutely love to see the Ben and Allie actors try to sell a romance. I kinda need this to happen now lol.

Yea, that's the problem for me lol.

agree, on both points . 100%

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 5/27/2021 at 6:04 PM, 4evaQuez said:

My unpopular opinion is that I actually think Ben is one of the best integrated new characters post 2000s this show has had, and I think he can stand as a character even without Ciara. I also don't hold being a serial killer against him - he didn't kill anyone I cared about - and it's given him a ton of material that the show still uses in his relationship with Ciara. I think the only thing holding Ben back is the limitation of the actor, but he still does a serviceable job.

He has friends, Jake and Claire. Rivalries - most of the men in his age range, Evan, Sami, Vincent, Eve, Abby, Chad. A maternal figure, Marlena. A villainous father, Clyde. A soul mate, Ciara. And the show even wanted to build some type of gothic connection between him and Will.  There's also potential in a Ben/Allie pairing considering the Will, Sami, and Ciara histories. 

Yes and thats why the ratings took a massive nosedive when he was being force fed down our throats by being constantly being depicted like he is a victim when he is a serial killer . Record low ratings is what he brought to the table because nobody wants to watch a serial killer being a leading character and being depicted like he is some sort of prontagonist. His integration was never organic as he hardly has chemistry with anybody on the show .

On top  that he was force fed because Carlivati wanted him to happen for obvious reasons. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I haven't cared about Ericole since the 90s maybe early 00s at best. 

Nicole works best with a guy that has an edge. That's not Eric.  Plus I always found it one sided. I believe she's the love of his life but not the other way around. They never had this grand love story the show likes to portray as Eric has been off screen most of the time Nicole has been on the show. 

I preferred her with Brady and EJ. I do think Xander/Nicole have chem too. 

They remind me why I don't care for the nice guy/bad girl dynamic on soaps especially this one. Nice guy wants bad girl, bad girl does bad things nice guy acts all shocked bad girl does bad things even though he knew she was bad in the first place.

• Love 4
(edited)
11 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I haven't cared about Ericole since the 90s maybe early 00s at best. 

Nicole works best with a guy that has an edge. That's not Eric.  Plus I always found it one sided. I believe she's the love of his life but not the other way around. They never had this grand love story the show likes to portray as Eric has been off screen most of the time Nicole has been on the show. 

I preferred her with Brady and EJ. I do think Xander/Nicole have chem too. 

They remind me why I don't care for the nice guy/bad girl dynamic on soaps especially this one. Nice guy wants bad girl, bad girl does bad things nice guy acts all shocked bad girl does bad things even though he knew she was bad in the first place.

Eric needs a feisty heroine by his side.  I have never understood Eric and Nicole, they were okay 20 years ago but that ship has sailed, sometimes you cannot go home again. I could see them having a one night stand for old times sakes. Plus, she does not love Eric like that. 

Xander should have been Alexander Neil Kiriakis and should have been paired up with Nicole who loves bad boys.  I can already see an appalled Anjelica played by the divine Jane Elliot joining forces with Victor to break them up... She may even convince Adrienne to come along to protect their boy causing a rift between Justin and Adrienne.  This story could have ushered in the Kiriakis twins.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 3
(edited)
23 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Eric needs a feisty heroine by his side.  I have never understood Eric and Nicole, they were okay 20 years ago but that ship has sailed, sometimes you cannot go home again. I could see them having a one night stand for old times sakes. Plus, she does not love Eric like that. 

Xander should have been Alexander Neil Kiriakis and should have been paired up with Nicole who loves bad boys.  I can already see an appalled Anjelica played by the divine Jane Elliot joining forces with Victor to break them up... She may even convince Adrienne to come along to protect their boy causing a rift between Justin and Adrienne.  This story could have ushered in the Kiriakis twins.

I agree about the feisty heroine I mean Sarah was feisty but I don't think Eric/Sarah really clicked chemistry wise (I did like their friendship).  However Eric has always been an afterthought/filler character beyond Nicole. I would've preferred this storyline than the ones Justin/Adrienne/Victor have had these last 5 years.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 5/19/2021 at 9:43 PM, Chellfairy said:

I like Alison Sweeney. I think she does her best for the kind of character Sami is, but the character is draining. The other characters have their drama, but they're not as whiny and Karenlike. 

@Rafael hell yes to Jason Lewis as Eric Brady. That man is BEAUTIFUL would be great as Eric. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4