Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

Just now, WendyCR72 said:

Bo and Carly V1.0 were great. But V2.0 was a hot mess.

It really was. I’m still uncertain if Bo cheated on Hope with Carly since Hope moved out, took their daughter, and was starting divorce proceedings. I tend to think Hope dumped Bo, so I give Bo a pass. But it was a murky situation.

8 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Which shows how important writing is to selling a pairing(not just chemistry). Sometimes you can't go back again. It would've been better if Carly messed with Justin/Adrienne instead of Bo/Hope(despite that being the obvious choice)

• Love 2
(edited)
35 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

Which shows how important writing is to selling a pairing(not just chemistry). Sometimes you can't go back again. It would've been better if Carly messed with Justin/Adrienne instead of Bo/Hope(despite that being the obvious choice)

Carly in character would have never messed with any couple in my opinion. It was heartbreaking for me to see the town revile her as a homewrecker.  They loved her so much in her original run. The Carly/Bo/Hope triangle should have happened when Hope came back from the dead.  Instead of Billie dealing with an amnesiac Hope, it should have been Carly, since Hope's ghost haunted her and Bo in their love story.  I also adored Carly's bond with Sean-Douglas. Bo/Carly had more depth than Bo/Billie. Due to backstage issues with the depraved Bo Brady recast Crystal Chappel left the show, taking Carly with her.  She had gone on record that if Peter had remained as Bo, she never would have quit the show. 

I hated Bo/Billie together.  Billie should have been paired of with Frankie Brady.  Original recipe Billie written by Sherry Anderson would have been awesome with him. Both came from broken homes and Billie's tragic childhood and addiction issues as a complex heroine reminded me so much of Kim Brady. However, the show took her down a villainess route that ruined the character for me.  When you desecrate your own baby's grave and have it's remains shipped to you via the UPS just to hurt Hope is too much for me as a soap viewer to get over.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 4

I do think Carly would've been a better option in that triangle than Billie now that you mention it. She was more of a viable threat than Billie because she was close to Shawn D. and others in Hope's family(besides Jennifer of course) and Hope's ghost was more of a threat to Carly than it was to Billie who was a relationship removed at that point.  Billie/Frankie might've worked too I actually didn't mind the character away from Bo's orbit.  However I tend to block out the baby remains(which ended up being pointless because of Chelsea's existence)

• Love 3
20 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I do think Carly would've been a better option in that triangle than Billie now that you mention it. She was more of a viable threat than Billie because she was close to Shawn D. and others in Hope's family(besides Jennifer of course) and Hope's ghost was more of a threat to Carly than it was to Billie who was a relationship removed at that point.  Billie/Frankie might've worked too I actually didn't mind the character away from Bo's orbit.  However I tend to block out the baby remains(which ended up being pointless because of Chelsea's existence)

A character I always despised. My unpopular opinion is that I wanted Hope to never forgive Chelsea, and I truly despised the moment when Hope presented Chelsea a Horton ornament as a symbol of her finally forgiving Chelsea. 

Regarding Carly, the Chelsea/Zack storyline would have been the perfect moment to reintroduce Carly. Hope/Patrick/Bo/Carly could have been a great quad, and I still wish Ciara was Patrick's daughter.

• Love 2
29 minutes ago, 4evaQuez said:

A character I always despised. My unpopular opinion is that I wanted Hope to never forgive Chelsea, and I truly despised the moment when Hope presented Chelsea a Horton ornament as a symbol of her finally forgiving Chelsea. 

Regarding Carly, the Chelsea/Zack storyline would have been the perfect moment to reintroduce Carly. Hope/Patrick/Bo/Carly could have been a great quad, and I still wish Ciara was Patrick's daughter.

Same and I think it would've been justified tbh. I also found it unrealistic that Bo/Hope ever got past that I think for Hope that would've been the point of no return. I was disappointed Hope never set Chelsea on fire.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I think the actors still had plenty of chemistry. The biggest issue I had with V2.0 is that the writers didn't have the balls to really write a triangle. Hope left Bo and then Bo took up with Carly. Then Bo went  back to Hope for reasons. At no point did we really have scenes of torn Bo or confused Bo and the writers never explored the history there. Plus, the entire town hating Carly was ridiculous.

Carly in character would have never messed with any couple in my opinion.

And this.

• Love 1

I think Jennifer and Adrienne didn't hate Carly but yeah I expected more conflict considering. 

If there was a time for the town to hate Carly it was when she knew about Lawrence and didn't tell anyone during the Alamania storyline. Jennifer pretended to be her for nothing only to get raped.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/6/2021 at 8:04 PM, hypnotoad said:

I think the actors still had plenty of chemistry. The biggest issue I had with V2.0 is that the writers didn't have the balls to really write a triangle. Hope left Bo and then Bo took up with Carly. Then Bo went  back to Hope for reasons. At no point did we really have scenes of torn Bo or confused Bo and the writers never explored the history there. Plus, the entire town hating Carly was ridiculous.

I love Kayla but the way that she treated Carly was horrible.  The whole town all blamed Carly for Bo and Hope being apart.  It was unfair and so typical to blame a woman for a man's actions.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
16 minutes ago, Pearson80 said:

I love Kayla but the way that she treated Carly was horrible.  The whole town all blamed Carly for Bo and Hope being apart.  It was unfair and so typical to blame a woman for a man's actions.

I do think it was OTT on her part given their past history of getting along. I think it would've been a lot more understandable had they delved into Carly knowing about Lawrence and Jencon which led to Steve's "death". Thus Steve/Kayla ending up apart for years because of it. Kayla disliking Carly would at least have a nuance to it but that's too much for soaps to write these days. However they rewrote it as Stefano doing it so that option is out.

This brings me to my UO:  I hate that Stefano was the villain for everything wrong in Salem which I think damaged the show in a lot of ways. They've been trying to recreate Stefano ever since with the essence and not letting him actually die.  They could've had other villains I mean Orpheus is the closest we have to a pop up villain at this point(although there's Jan I guess). 

• Love 3
44 minutes ago, CanaryFan98 said:

I do think it was OTT on her part given their past history of getting along. I think it would've been a lot more understandable had they delved into Carly knowing about Lawrence and Jencon which led to Steve's "death". Thus Steve/Kayla ending up apart for years because of it. Kayla disliking Carly would at least have a nuance to it but that's too much for soaps to write these days. However they rewrote it as Stefano doing it so that option is out.

This brings me to my UO:  I hate that Stefano was the villain for everything wrong in Salem which I think damaged the show in a lot of ways. They've been trying to recreate Stefano ever since with the essence and not letting him actually die.  They could've had other villains I mean Orpheus is the closest we have to a pop up villain at this point(although there's Jan I guess). 

Kayla disliking Carly over Lawrence "killing" Steve would have been a better reason.

Stefano becoming a supervillain ruined him in my opinion.   An acolyte of Orpheus should have been the one to have had Marlena all of those years, not Stefano.  Orpheus should have remained dead cause his story was over in 1986 and his children as adults  should have been the one to terrorize Jarlena and Roman via their kids.. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

I'm not sure if I watched during that time, but this is very disappointing. Kayla is probably the sweetest character on Days. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Kayla disliking Carly over Lawrence "killing" Steve would have been a better reason.

Stefano becoming a supervillain ruined him in my opinion.   An acolyte of Orpheus should have been the one to have had Marlena all of those years, not Stefano.  Orpheus should have remained dead cause his story was over in 1986 and his children as adults  should have been the one to terrorize Jarlena and Roman via their kids.. 

That would've been better and while I like GDLH the past few returns of Orpheus have been diminishing ones. Although I would've preferred he mess with Steve/Kayla over Ava tbh.

(edited)
2 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

That would've been better and while I like GDLH the past few returns of Orpheus have been diminishing ones. Although I would've preferred he mess with Steve/Kayla over Ava tbh.

Lawrence should have been the one to mess with Steve/Kayla, Bo/Hope and Jack/Jennifer.  Imagine we find out that the real reason that Carly stayed with him was to protect Steve who was being held captive by him and to protect her child with Bo.. It could have been revealed that Carly left town pregnant by Bo. 

Stayla never interacted with Stefano during their glory days.  They had Victor who was always a threat to them in so many ways. It is why Stefano having had Steve made no damn sense unimaginative and very lazy.  The same goes for Hope.. Stayla's Stefano was Harper Devereaux and Jack Devereaux before his redemption. Even Orpheus messed more with them than Stefano.

Stefano should have remained a villain for Roman and Marlena.  I say Roman because his  original beef was with Roman but that has been forgotten over the years in favor of John due to the retcon of Drake's Roman.  Roman became obsolete due to John. 

Even Orpheus forgot about him and Roman killed his wife. Orpheus should have killed him and continued with his vendetta against Jarlena. To not say anything about him shows you the depth of the marginalization of the character of Roman. A damn shame since Roman was such an awesome hero.

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5

Lawrence and Carly were 1000x more interesting than Bo and Carly to me. 

So it's interesting to read these opinions given my own feelings.  They're my Number 2 couple after Jack/Jenn.  I hated what they did to them while they were gone.  I hated that it was all in sacrifice to bring Carly back and that return sucked.  I hated what they did in order to give Dan a love child.

Carly should have stayed away.

I know it seems silly to say that they ruined a rapist but they ruined a rapist!

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

Lawrence and Carly were 1000x more interesting than Bo and Carly to me. 

So it's interesting to read these opinions given my own feelings.  They're my Number 2 couple after Jack/Jenn.  I hated what they did to them while they were gone.  I hated that it was all in sacrifice to bring Carly back and that return sucked.  I hated what they did in order to give Dan a love child.

Carly should have stayed away.

I know it seems silly to say that they ruined a rapist but they ruined a rapist!

I also preferred Lawrence/Carly and while I don't think Lawrence would be abusive to Carly (Manipulative yes but not physically abusive) I'm not bothered by him being killed off. 

He was a bad guy(who I adored and was my fave Days character of all time) so him being murdered was his deserved ending but it should've been at the hands of Jennifer not Carly. 

If he were alive I shudder to think what would've become of the character, I mean Carly returned and that was a total disaster. They would've had him outsmarted by the likes of Rafe or something.  Lawrence at least retained his original glory which was the town villain while the Dimeras were not on the show(yes there was a time when there wasn't a Dimera in sight on the show and managed to still be entertaining and go on).

16 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Lawrence should have been the one to mess with Steve/Kayla, Bo/Hope and Jack/Jennifer.  Imagine we find out that the real reason that Carly stayed with him was to protect Steve who was being held captive by him and to protect her child with Bo.. It could have been revealed that Carly left town pregnant by Bo. 

Stayla never interacted with Stefano during their glory days.  They had Victor who was always a threat to them in so many ways. It is why Stefano having had Steve made no damn sense unimaginative and very lazy.  The same goes for Hope.. Stayla's Stefano was Harper Devereaux and Jack Devereaux before his redemption. Even Orpheus messed more with them than Stefano.

Stefano should have remained a villain for Roman and Marlena.  I say Roman because his  original beef was with Roman but that has been forgotten over the years in favor of John due to the retcon of Drake's Roman.  Roman became obsolete due to John. 

Even Orpheus forgot about him and Roman killed his wife. Orpheus should have killed him and continued with his vendetta against Jarlena. To not say anything about him shows you the depth of the marginalization of the character of Roman. A damn shame since Roman was such an awesome hero.

I remembered reading on the soap boards years ago that Days wanted to bring back Lawrence/Carly for this reason but it didn't work out(this was when Crystal was still on GL which was near the end but not cancelled).  I think that was the right time to bring them back when all those couples were on the show at the same time. There was a lot of story to be told there. Lawrence holding Steve captive and Carly having Bo's kid after she left town with Lawrence would've been great soap (which makes more sense than swamp thing's resurrection)

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 5
(edited)
7 hours ago, CanaryFan98 said:

He was a bad guy(who I adored and was my fave Days character of all time) so him being murdered was his deserved ending but it should've been at the hands of Jennifer not Carly. 

Carly killing Lawrence was poetic justice in my opinion.  It had more gravitas for me as a Bo/Carly fan version 1 of course.  Lawrence was obsessed with Carly while I do think he loved her, it was an unhealthy one that can lead to abuse.  Lawrence is a violent man and him raping Jennifer was proof of that and rape is an act of violence.  Jennifer killing him would have been pure vengeance and would have tarnished her as a heroine. Had she done it when he raped her then she would have been justified. Carly stabbing Lawrence was personal and proof of her psychological torture by him.

I also preferred Lawrence/Carly and while I don't think Lawrence would be abusive to Carly (Manipulative yes but not physically abusive) I'm not bothered by him being killed off. 

I would have been down with Lawrence/Carly had Carly been bad.  Bo/Carly was just too awesome for words and I wanted them to be happy. Bo came alive with her. Looking back Carly was a Mary Sue so I understand why her detractors despised her but I loved her anyway.. 

I remembered reading on the soap boards years ago that Days wanted to bring back Lawrence/Carly for this reason but it didn't work out(this was when Crystal was still on GL which was near the end but not cancelled).  I think that was the right time to bring them back when all those couples were on the show at the same time. There was a lot of story to be told there. Lawrence holding Steve captive and Carly having Bo's kid after she left town with Lawrence would've been great soap (which makes more sense than swamp thing's resurrection)

That would have been awesome especially if Jack rescued an amnesiac Steve from Lawrence's clutches.  I would not have minded if Lawrence was behind Jack's numerous disappearances over the years.  Also, I wished that the show had pursued how alike Jack and Lawrence were and how that scared Jack. Looing at Lawrence was like Jack looking at himself in the mirror because  Evil Jack and Lawrence were the same.  The difference was that Lawrence was a sociopath who was devoid of a conscience whereas Jack had one. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Sidney said:

Between Rafe and Abe, I don't know which one is the most boring. Oh boy, I forgot about Nicole's husband.🙄

Rafe. Abe and Eric - the Holy Trinity of Tedium.

• LOL 8
  • Love 1
On 6/2/2021 at 1:37 AM, Pearson80 said:

Eric needs a feisty heroine by his side.  I have never understood Eric and Nicole, they were okay 20 years ago but that ship has sailed, sometimes you cannot go home again. I could see them having a one night stand for old times sakes. Plus, she does not love Eric like that. 

Xander should have been Alexander Neil Kiriakis and should have been paired up with Nicole who loves bad boys.  I can already see an appalled Anjelica played by the divine Jane Elliot joining forces with Victor to break them up... She may even convince Adrienne to come along to protect their boy causing a rift between Justin and Adrienne.  This story could have ushered in the Kiriakis twins.

Exactly. Xander should have been Alex . Plus when Theresa Accused Xander of attempted  rape , that storyline would have had a ripple effect in salem and caused the Bradys and Kiriakis clan to feud which would have been somewhat refreshing since wev been subjected to the Bradys vs DiMeras feud for so long. If only Xander was Alex. 

Hope ,Brady and Ciara could have been caught in the middle and not taking sides  between the two families. 

Victor ,Adrienne and Justin  fighting to clear Alex's name and feuding with Shane ,Kim ,Caroline ,Kayla ,Steve and Roman who all believe Theresa to be this innocent delicate flower incapable of being vindictive. Team Kiriakis would go as far as enlisting Anjelica 's help to catch Theresa out  .it would have been refreshing to see two super couples feuding with each other to protect their kids. Plus when Victor was mortified that Brady got Theresa pregnant ,he even accused her of being a hussy like Kim and even fleshed back to the time Kim slept with him to save Shane. I thoight that was a fantastic use of the character's respective  histories and explained Victor loathing Theresa because she reminds him of Kim. 

But nah ,Theresa accused Xander of attempted rape and he got quickly arrested and hauled off to jail never to be seen or heard from again until the prison break storyline . Both Justin and Victor didnt even give a damn about him . Made one wonder why they even bothered to create this Alexandros Kiriakis instead of actually bringing in an adult Alexander Kiriakis.

• Love 2
On 6/5/2021 at 7:31 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

Billie should have simply settled down with Patrick who was needlessly ruined when he exited the show. He sorta grew on me. And they both should have walked down the aisle. Billie (when played by Julie Pinson ) and Patrick were reasonably hot together.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 6/9/2021 at 8:21 AM, Pearson80 said:

. Even Orpheus messed more with them than Stefano.

It was seriously mega dumb for Orpheus,during his 2015 return , to ignore thee actual Roman who shot his wife accidentally many  years ago . Instead he became an idiot and decided to   gun  for John /Marlena and Steve /Kayla and ignoring Roman. 

Edited by Rafael
  • Love 2
(edited)
46 minutes ago, Rafael said:

Exactly. Xander should have been Alex . Plus when Theresa Accused Xander of attempted  rape , that storyline would have had a ripple effect in salem and caused the Bradys and Kiriakis clan to feud which would have been somewhat refreshing since wev been subjected to the Bradys vs DiMeras feud for so long. If only Xander was Alex. 

Hope ,Brady and Ciara could have been caught in the middle and not taking sides  between the two families. 

Victor ,Adrienne and Justin  fighting to clear Alex's name and feuding with Shane ,Kim ,Caroline ,Kayla ,Steve and Roman who all believe Theresa to be this innocent delicate flower incapable of being vindictive. Team Kiriakis would go as far as enlisting Anjelica 's help to catch Theresa out  .it would have been refreshing to see two super couples feuding with each other to protect their kids. Plus when Victor was mortified that Brady got Theresa pregnant ,he even accused her of being a hussy like Kim and even fleshed back to the time Kim slept with him to save Shane. I thoight that was a fantastic use of the character's respective  histories and explained Victor loathing Theresa because she reminds him of Kim. 

But nah ,Theresa accused Xander of attempted rape and he got quickly arrested and hauled off to jail never to be seen or heard from again until the prison break storyline . Both Justin and Victor didnt even give a damn about him . Made one wonder why they even bothered to create this Alexandros Kiriakis instead of actually bringing in an adult Alexander Kiriakis.

I love your story ideas but that would require the show having a writer who cares about writing for the characters and using their respective histories to drive stories for them. However, that is a tall order for an idiot like Ron who likes to write women as helpless damsels of distress or campy villainesses whose only preoccupation is a man. He also cherry picks history to push his agenda.. I will never forgive him for what he did to Anjelica, Adrienne, and Diana.  Three fantastic characters that did not deserve the awful writing that they got. I did not care for Laura due to the awful actress that plays her.  Her death was such a travesty due to her history on the show. He did that all to push his pet Gwen.  Dr. Laura Horton was the inspiration for the creation of Doctor Marlena Evans.  She deserves respect even if you don't like her..

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 5
(edited)
8 hours ago, boes said:

Rafe. Abe and Eric - the Holy Trinity of Tedium.

Of the three I like Abe the best and in his case the show doesn't go out of their way to make him a leading man or tell me how great he is when they actually show us what a good man he is. He's the beacon of sanity in the insane asylum called Salem.

Eric is just meh and Rafe is useless.

18 hours ago, Pearson80 said:

Carly killing Lawrence was poetic justice in my opinion.  It had more gravitas for me as a Bo/Carly fan version 1 of course.  Lawrence was obsessed with Carly while I do think he loved her, it was an unhealthy one that can lead to abuse.  Lawrence is a violent man and him raping Jennifer was proof of that and rape is an act of violence.  Jennifer killing him would have been pure vengeance and would have tarnished her as a heroine. Had she done it when he raped her then she would have been justified. Carly stabbing Lawrence was personal and proof of her psychological torture by him.

I would have been down with Lawrence/Carly had Carly been bad.  Bo/Carly was just too awesome for words and I wanted them to be happy. Bo came alive with her. Looking back Carly was a Mary Sue so I understand why her detractors despised her but I loved her anyway.. 

That would have been awesome especially if Jack rescued an amnesiac Steve from Lawrence's clutches.  I would not have minded if Lawrence was behind Jack's numerous disappearances over the years.  Also, I wished that the show had pursued how alike Jack and Lawrence were and how that scared Jack. Looing at Lawrence was like Jack looking at himself in the mirror because  Evil Jack and Lawrence were the same.  The difference was that Lawrence was a sociopath who was devoid of a conscience whereas Jack had one. 

I think Lawrence had a conscious where Nicky was concerned but others? Yeah I agree and while he was fixated on Carly he wasn't above manipulating her to get what he wanted either.

I agree Carly was a Mary Sue she should've been more of a morally grey character tbh. I guess I don't buy that she was tortured by Lawrence because he did worship the ground she walked on for most of his run.  Plus I think she secretly regretted leaving Bo for him and wanted a way out(it would've been more interesting if she did kill him because she wanted to not because she was some battered wife). 

I suggested Jennifer because she was flat out his victim. While he has hurt Carly in a lot of ways she also hurt him too with keeping Nicky from him for starters. Jennifer never did anything to Lawrence and if by self defense she were to kill him I would think it would've been a fitting end. Regardless I'm glad he's killed off because this show has a way of making me regret characters I like coming back to this show.

Edited by CanaryFan98
  • Love 2

Here are mine 

I like Eric and Rafe.  
Would like to see Belle and Shaun in more stories.   Use to really like Claire. Right now I don’t really like or dislike her.  When she is not on I forget about her. She needs a career or at least some direction in life.  It would be nice if she had a story of her own not Ciara leftovers.  

• Love 3

That's why I liked the Claire/Charlie story in the beginning it was old school soap at first where there's an awkward meeting and went from there.  Ben/Ciara weren't involved.

Course they ruined it by making Charlie a rapist of her cousin. They could've just kept Charlie shady spying on Titan for Ava but falling for Claire thus feeling conflicted. They could've bonded over being neglected in their childhoods and their less than stellar pasts. Claire by her parents with their off and on relationship and Charlie always being cast aside by Ava. 

That's too character driven for this show though.

• Love 3
On 6/10/2021 at 7:18 PM, CanaryFan98 said:

I think Lawrence had a conscious where Nicky was concerned but others? Yeah I agree and while he was fixated on Carly he wasn't above manipulating her to get what he wanted either.

Eh, he had no conscious when Nicky was doing things like ruining the clam chowder that Bo made for some Brady celebration, framing Shawn D. for actions he didn't commit, lying on Shawn D, or when Nicky was purposely trying to come between Bo and Carly. Lawrence seemed proud of his little Hellraiser in the making.

I wish the show had brought Nicky back as a contemporary of the Last Blast Crew - I'm ignoring the Victor Webster interpretation of the character. His ties to the Alamains, Bradys, Blacks, etc. could have been great as he would have been a perfect villain for the group - I mean this boy was killing maids before he was 10, afterall.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

Eh, he had no conscious when Nicky was doing things like ruining the clam chowder that Bo made for some Brady celebration, framing Shawn D. for actions he didn't commit, lying on Shawn D, or when Nicky was purposely trying to come between Bo and Carly. Lawrence seemed proud of his little Hellraiser in the making.

I wish the show had brought Nicky back as a contemporary of the Last Blast Crew - I'm ignoring the Victor Webster interpretation of the character. His ties to the Alamains, Bradys, Blacks, etc. could have been great as he would have been a perfect villain for the group - I mean this boy was killing maids before he was 10, afterall.

Of course he was but that wasn't what I meant. I meant that Lawrence would sacrifice himself for Nicky if needed like when he took the fall for Lisanne's death(that was who Nicky killed not a maid she was Lawrence's lawyer/lover). I think he's like Vivian to him someone he loves and wouldn't manipulate because they were equals to him. If anything I could see Nicky manipulating Lawrence tbh.

I also strangely liked Nicky/Sami's brief friendship when he was doing these things. I do think he would've made a great foil maybe team up with Jan in certain schemes, llock horns with Shawn D and Phillip,  I agree that was a missed opportunity.

• Love 2

I was on social media looking at photos of Days, which reminded me of this unpopular opinion: Marlena/John/Carrie is a much greater familial pairing than Malena/John/Belle. I know Belle is their only biological child, but just seeing the former unit in photos together genuinely makes me smile. I think it's obvious the decades long history and affection the actors have for each other is palpable on screen, and the way Marlena/John look at Carrie feels like the endless affection you see parents look at their children.

Also, Marlena/John/Carrie had much better writing and got a chance to have their relationship dynamic explored at a time when character motivations and growth  was the goal and not just shocking twists or plot developments. 

I'll always be bitter that the show wasted Carrie who should have been the ultimate heroine in the vein of a Jennifer/Hope/ and yes a Marlena. It's truly appalling that she has no place on canvas.

• Love 6
On 6/13/2021 at 10:36 AM, tribeca said:

Here are mine 

I like Eric and Rafe.  
Would like to see Belle and Shaun in more stories.   Use to really like Claire. Right now I don’t really like or dislike her.  When she is not on I forget about her. She needs a career or at least some direction in life.  It would be nice if she had a story of her own not Ciara leftovers.  

I like Rafe too.  I don't really understand all the hate, but to each their own.  Sure, he's boring a lot of the time (and right now I hate him with Ava), but sometimes a show needs people who are a little boring to do the mundane tasks.  

That said, it's Eli who I find to be "too boring" right now.  Yeesh, can they give him a storyline where he doesn't play second fiddle to everyone else, or just drop his towel at inopportune times?  Yes, he's hot.  But twice in a row?  Bad writing.  He needs to be the great detective that he is and not just Lani's husband.

• Love 5
27 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I like Rafe too.  I don't really understand all the hate, but to each their own.  Sure, he's boring a lot of the time (and right now I hate him with Ava), but sometimes a show needs people who are a little boring to do the mundane tasks.  

That said, it's Eli who I find to be "too boring" right now.  Yeesh, can they give him a storyline where he doesn't play second fiddle to everyone else, or just drop his towel at inopportune times?  Yes, he's hot.  But twice in a row?  Bad writing.  He needs to be the great detective that he is and not just Lani's husband.

My Rafe hate comes from his earlier years when the show wrote him as a villain but presented him as a hero. Having someone constantly trying to steal other men's children and covering up horrific crimes and even throwing his own sister under the proverbial bus, Arianna, is where my hatred stems. Also, in his earlier years, Rafe got a lot of unearned screen time. I think he's more bearable now because the show treats him more like a B list or even C+ list character, but he's still not instrumental to the show, even after being on it for more than a decade.

I don't find Eli hot. I don't find him interesting. I don't like him with Lani. The show does nothing to better link him to the Hortons. And he's not a good cop. He doesn't even have a particularly compelling relationship with Julie. He's a character that's there. And it seems the show has no more investment in him than simply being there.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, tribeca said:

How to Rafe try to steal children?

When Sami was pregnant with Sydney and in witness protection, Rafe eventually got assigned to watch over her, although that is something that I don't think the FBI has ever done at least not with its best agents. Which the show kept saying Rafe was.

Sami grew close to Rafe and she came up with this story that she was going to adopt a baby from someone she met while in witness protection who could no longer raise her baby. The said baby would have been Sydney but Nicole switched her with Grace. Rafe decided to get some false adoption papers with stated that Grace was adtopted by him and Sami. Rafe believed Grace was EJ's.

Rafe would then spend the next year or two trying to make decisions and offer his input on what happened with Johnny and Sydney. And he thought he knew better than Sami or EJ. Allie had less of his focus because she was sometimes shipped out to Lucas (and frankly because she was not a Dimera). So this nonsense of Allie thinking that Rafe was this great father figure and they had a special relationship was and will always be nonsense. I hated it but Rafe had that type of relationship with Johnny. Not Allie.

When Rafe left Sami because she slept with EJ, he decided that he longer hated Nicole and was friendly to her. When he found out that she was pregnant with EJ's child, he decided to tell the world that he was the father. And continued to claim to be the father when the baby was born stillborn until EJ played the recording where Nicole admitted that EJ was the father.

Finally, when Sami and Rafe broke for good, and Sami and EJ reunited, Rafe told anyone that would listen to him that he was done with Sami but that he felt sorry for Johnny and Sydney because he would no longer be there and they were stuck with Sami and EJ as parents. 

Seriously, his sense of entitlement when it came to other people's children especially EJ's made me want to punch Rafe in his smug face.

Edited by nilyank
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
(edited)

Sami gets on my nerves to the point I often fast forward through her scenes. Too much ranting and raving. While I know she's not the biggest villain of the show, I find her personality the most draining as a viewer. IDK how unpopular that is here, but she doesn't seem to annoy my family and friends. A part of me feels bad as I grew up watching Sami. I also think Alison is a beautiful and talented actress. There are times her work has moved me to tears, like when she thought she lost EJ. The way she flips out is just not my cup of tea. 

Edited by RealHousewife
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, nilyank said:

When Sami was pregnant with Sydney and in witness protection, Rafe eventually got assigned to watch over her, although that is something that I don't think the FBI has ever done at least not with its best agents. Which the show kept saying Rafe was.

Sami grew close to Rafe and she came up with this story that she was going to adopt a baby from someone she met while in witness protection who could no longer raise her baby. The said baby would have been Sydney but Nicole switched her with Grace. Rafe decided to get some false adoption papers with stated that Grace was adtopted by him and Sami. Rafe believed Grace was EJ's.

Rafe would then spend the next year or two trying to make decisions and offer his input on what happened with Johnny and Sydney. And he thought he knew better than Sami or EJ. Allie had less of his focus because she was sometimes shipped out to Lucas (and frankly because she was not a Dimera). So this nonsense of Allie thinking that Rafe was this great father figure and they had a special relationship was and will always be nonsense. I hated it but Rafe had that type of relationship with Johnny. Not Allie.

When Rafe left Sami because she slept with EJ, he decided that he longer hated Nicole and was friendly to her. When he found out that she was pregnant with EJ's child, he decided to tell the world that he was the father. And continued to claim to be the father when the baby was born stillborn until EJ played the recording where Nicole admitted that EJ was the father.

Finally, when Sami and Rafe broke for good, and Sami and EJ reunited, Rafe told anyone that would listen to him that he was done with Sami but that he felt sorry for Johnny and Sydney because he would no longer be there and they were stuck with Sami and EJ as parents. 

Seriously, his sense of entitlement when it came to other people's children especially EJ's made me want to punch Rafe in his smug face.

IIRC, Rafe didn't decide any of those things on his own.  Sami and Nicole wanted him to do those things.  He and Sami were married; he was those kids' stepfather.  And also IIRC, Nicole either asked him to pretend that he was the father or thought that it was a great idea when he suggested it and wanted to go along with it.  Unless I am totally forgetting both storylines, to "blame" Rafe alone for all of that is pretty off base, IMO.

I guess that's why it's my unpopular opinion to not hate him... he was trying to help out and the women in these scenarios accepted it.  I don't like either Sami or Nicole, so I guess I blamed them more than him.  Plus, I don't like EJ, so it's not like I thought Rafe was wrong...

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

IIRC, Rafe didn't decide any of those things on his own.  Sami and Nicole wanted him to do those things.  He and Sami were married; he was those kids' stepfather.  And also IIRC, Nicole either asked him to pretend that he was the father or thought that it was a great idea when he suggested it and wanted to go along with it.  Unless I am totally forgetting both storylines, to "blame" Rafe alone for all of that is pretty off base, IMO.

That's true but here is the thing, Sami and Nicole should have been the ones to drive those stories as ridiculous as they were, not Rafe. He should have been supporting at best, following the lead in what Sami and later Nicole were doing. He came up with the adoption/claiming Nicole's kid before every talking to them about it. So if they wanted to change their mind or have a different plan, they couldn't because Rafe already decided for them.

Rafe had decided to claim Grace as his own when he and Sami had not become an item yet. He claimed Nicole's kid after being friendly with a few weeks despite hating her for the previous few years.

I don't care about Rafe. None of these children were his. But the show would give him equal and sometimes more importance in the lives of the children over their mothers and father.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, FnkyChkn34 said:

I guess that's why it's my unpopular opinion to not hate him... he was trying to help out and the women in these scenarios accepted it.  I don't like either Sami or Nicole, so I guess I blamed them more than him.  Plus, I don't like EJ, so it's not like I thought Rafe was wrong...

I don't hate so much as find him insufferably pompous and judgemental and currently waaaaaaaaaaay too nosy.  He always seems to be turning his nose up at someone or something and considering his own and his family's shortcomings, that's too rich for me.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, RealHousewife said:

Sami gets on my nerves to the point I often fast forward through her scenes. Too much ranting and raving. While I know she's not the biggest villain of the show, I find her personality the most draining as a viewer. IDK how unpopular that is here, but she doesn't seem to annoy my family and friends. A part of me feels bad as I grew up watching Sami. I also think Alison is a beautiful and talented actress. There are times her work has moved me to tears, like when she thought she lost EJ. The way she flips out is just not my cup of tea. 

I have always loathed Sami. I hate that every other Brady gets shortchanged in the writing department over her. I mean there are other Brady's besides Sami show. Maybe if you developed the other characters they would've put the show in a better place creatively than they are now.

4 hours ago, tribeca said:

Rachel is better off never knowing her mom. 

They should've either killed her off(my first choice) or kept her as Eric/Sarah's. Not that I really want Eric tied to Sarah but I think that provided more drama than Brady/Kristen(where the show completely neutered the drama and the child added nothing to either character).

At least it would make Nicole/Xander more plausible to me fighting over Rachel despite neither being the natural parent.

• Love 4
(edited)
10 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

I was on social media looking at photos of Days, which reminded me of this unpopular opinion: Marlena/John/Carrie is a much greater familial pairing than Malena/John/Belle. I know Belle is their only biological child, but just seeing the former unit in photos together genuinely makes me smile. I think it's obvious the decades long history and affection the actors have for each other is palpable on screen, and the way Marlena/John look at Carrie feels like the endless affection you see parents look at their children.

Also, Marlena/John/Carrie had much better writing and got a chance to have their relationship dynamic explored at a time when character motivations and growth  was the goal and not just shocking twists or plot developments. 

I'll always be bitter that the show wasted Carrie who should have been the ultimate heroine in the vein of a Jennifer/Hope/ and yes a Marlena. It's truly appalling that she has no place on canvas.

I love your post and Carrie should have been the lead heroine of her generation but the show was only interested in Sami.. Carrie existed solely to react to Sami's latest scheme to get Austin and nothing more.. She became an idiotic self-righteous saccharine hypocrite. A damn shame since she was resourceful intelligent determined brave as a young kid.  Carrie facing off against Stefano on his island as a kid was a just a taste of what she would have been like as an adult with writers who cared about writing for her.  She was a mini Roman with a dash of  her stepmother Marlena's empathy and I adored her characterization.  The show failed to explore her mommy issues with Anna. 

The Rojohn/Marlena/Carrie dynamic was just awesome and it is a shame that John not being Roman ruined all of that.. When Carrie came back recently under Ron she had no scenes with Jarlena, a travesty. Yet, we get endless scenes of Sami attacking John like we were back in the 90's.. 

Edited by Pearson80
  • Love 7

It really strikes me how two different families on two different soaps had such a similar template:

Carrie Brady/Roman - later RoJohn/Marlena

Robin Scorpio/Robert/Holly

Both characters were dropped off at a young age by their mothers (both named Anna!) to live with their father, who never knew said child existed. Father is immediately smitten with newfound child and stepmother also grows to love them.

And both girls were kidnapped and everything in between as they grew up on screen.

I always thought it had to be that the same writer had to create both Carrie and Robin (as soap writers seem to write for almost every soap!), but nope. Pat Falken Smith (who, ironically, wrote for Days later!) created Robin. Margaret DePriest created Carrie.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
7 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

It really strikes me how two different families on two different soaps had such a similar template:

Carrie Brady/Roman - later RoJohn/Marlena

Robin Scorpio/Robert/Holly

Both characters were dropped off at a young age by their mothers (both named Anna!) to live with their father, who never knew said child existed. Father is immediately smitten with newfound child and stepmother also grows to love them.

And both girls were kidnapped and everything in between as they grew up on screen.

I always thought it had to be that the same writer had to create both Carrie and Robin (as soap writers seem to write for almost every soap!), but nope. Pat Falken Smith (who, ironically, wrote for Days later!) created Robin. Margaret DePriest created Carrie.

despised Robin as a kid. Still didn't like her as an adult. I rooted for Carly in their every confrontation. Carrie for the win.

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, 4evaQuez said:

despised Robin as a kid. Still didn't like her as an adult. I rooted for Carly in their every confrontation. Carrie for the win.

This is where we part ways. I LOVE Robin and wish Carly would be eaten by a Great White Shark - or killed in a mob war. Tomato, tomahto!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

This is where we part ways. I LOVE Robin and wish Carly would be eaten by a Great White Shark - or killed in a mob war. Tomato, tomahto!

Carly was the worst thing to have happened to General Hospital...

• Love 6