Type keyword(s) to search

Unpopular Opinions

• Start Topic

I wish Maggie and Victor would break up.

THIS.  Victor needs to get back with Kate.  I don't think Kate and Stefano make as good a match as Kate and Victor did back in the 90's.  I'll always say that Will and Sonny should have met because of Victor and Kate.  This Nick storyline was the perfect opportunity for Maggie and Vic to have some conflict.  Phillip needs to come back.  I'm tired of Vic acting like Dan's surrogate father because he's Maggie's eggbaby.  It was much less obvious when Dan was just his godson.

• Love 1
Phillip needs to come back.

Would love to see JKJ come back as Phillip but not to be hooked up with the likes of Chloe or that god awful Melanie. I really thought he had good chemistry with the last actress that played Belle.  As the son of Victor and Kate (and kinda Viv) he could be a great legacy character if they wrote it right. (Which this current batch of writers no doubt wouldn't.)

(edited)

While I hold the fairly popular opinion of disliking (okay, loathing) Daniel, Jennifer and Daniel/Jennifer, my UO is that Eric and Brady are both every bit as dull, lifeless and irksome.

I don't like Sami/EJ much as a couple, but I actually liked Sami even less with the boring and unappealing (IMUO!) Lucas. Keep in mind that I'm a relative newbie, so I didn't see much of Sami/Lucas back when they supposed had the most chemistry and compatibility. 

Everyone whose sole role is to prop Daniel/Jennifer to a bizarre degree should be killed off. This would leave us with maybe 5-6 characters and the chance to start over with an almost entirely new canvas, but I'm totally good with that! 

Speaking of killing off, I'd be so delighted with constant murder mysteries and deliciously over-the-top intrigue and, hell, even another possession or two ;) I don't mind cheesy, campy and unrealistic storylines on soaps---in fact, I kind of prefer them. The endless breakups and "romantic" makeups between couples I pretty much never care about anyway just bores me. 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 1
(edited)
Salem is in desperate need of a serial killer.

Abigail, Jennifer, Daniel, Nicole, Maxine, John, Eric--they'd top my list of victims. Once they aren't eating up the budget and/or boring me to tears then maybe TPTB could bring on or bring back some more interesting characters. 

Edited by Peanut6711
  • Love 2
(edited)
I don't mind cheesy, campy and unrealistic storylines on soaps---in fact, I kind of prefer them.

OMG, mstaken!  Me too!  I LOVED those cheeseball adventure stories in the 80s when the soaps had big budgets.  I'm with you about the love story stuff - maybe it's because I am such a cynical old gal, but there's nothing duller than a couple endlessly cooing over each other unless it's the entire town propping that couple.  I don't even think the soaps need big budgets, just some clever writing and set ingenuity and they could do it.  I'm not looking for realism in a soap - I got enough of that in real life - what I want is snappy dialogue and clever retorts and storylines that haven't been beaten into the ground.

Salem is in desperate need of a serial killer.

If someone would kill off Jennifer and Nicole, I would forgive everything.  And they need to make Abigail full-out crazy.  I think she would be a great crazy person seeing as how she's already pretty nuts.

Edited by sunnyheart
  • Love 1

Abigail, Jennifer, Daniel, Nicole, Maxine, John, Eric--they'd top my list of victims.

I would spare Maxine in the hops that they give her something to do if Dannifer aren't around for her to prop. Eric just needs to develop a new personality. They could give him DID. Abby and Jen need to be killed, revived, and then killed again. In addition to those people I would add - Julie, EJ, and Stefano. Ben, Jordan, Adrienne and Marlena can just leave town. 

• Love 2
Eric just needs to develop a new personality.

I'm kinda hoping this latest betrayal sends him over the edge and he becomes completely unhinged.  Sleeping around, drinking with Brady, snarling at the "helpful" folks of Salem and just being a complete shit to everyone.  I really would like to see that.

• Love 3
Eric just needs to develop a new personality.

Wait..doesn't that falsely imply that he possesses an existing one? Yeah, I'd love to see a radically different version of the character played by a different actor...so, in other words, kind of not Eric at all :) How can he be Sami's twin? Have they done a DNA test?!

I volunteer to take one for the team, and be the serial killer.

Ha! Please tell me you're willing to take out at least 90% of Salem. Any sensible jury who's seen even a handful of episodes would totally let you off. I just wouldn't recommend retaining EJ as your lawyer. ;) 

• Love 1

My UO is that I like Ben.  I didn't before, but I do now with the new actor.  I had seen him on the AMC reboot and while he was pretty he was...well, not so good, at first.  He got better, though, and by the time the show was ending he had definitely improved.  While he's no John Aniston yet (who is??), IMO he's given the role some life.  Those distracting eyebrows aside, I don't think the guy is half bad. 

I'm already more interested in him than I am in his sister.  Though to be fair to her, she's paired with Rafe, NOT something guaranteed to inject energy into a scene.

I hope they fiind something else to do witih him other than put him with Abigail, though.  No matter how much I like him now, having him get attached to that human Bride of Chucky might well be the kiss of death.

• Love 3

I kind of like Ben as well, boes. I certainly don't DISlike him or groan when he comes onscreen, which in and of itself puts him about half of his fellow Salem-ites :) 

And [*whispers*} I actually like Rafe as well. 

I hate Brady, and my UO is that, sadly, his becoming a druggie lush hasn't made him more interesting or amusing to me----it's just highlighted the relative deficiencies of the actor. I'd love Brady and Eric to be knocked off by Salem's wish-so-much-he-actually-existed serial killer almost as much as I want to see the last of Dannifer. And I really, really, REALLY want to see the last of Dannifer :) 

I'm not sure if this one is unpopular or just one that fans are fairly evenly divided on, but while I totally get why many are sick of Sami and Sami/EJ, I am going to miss her terribly and kind of dread the moment when Alison Sweeney leaves the show. 

I still like Nicole. I'm telling you, it's a sickness! Objectively, I know that she (and her godawful hair) have become utterly pathetic, but something about the actress and my first positive, "oh, good, a character who's actually lively and interesting!" impression of the character precludes me from ever disliking her. The show seems to be intent on testing that theory, though!   

• Love 1

I like Sami (She is the reason I watch), Kate (she owns it), and Nicole (when she was a scheming gold digger, not the way she is now).  They made the SLs move along, and the writers should have kept them as the three witches of Salem because they were more interesting as the bad girls/villains than any of the supposed good characters on the show.

• Love 3

I don't mind NuBen either. Old Ben did nothing for me, but NuBen isn't hard on the eyes and has brought more personality to the role. Bonus points to him for standing up to Julie yesterday. Now if he continues being stuck on Abby, I may lose respect for him fast. I'm hoping when her affair with EJ comes out and he learns her "true" reputation (that includes the Austin incident) he can't run away from her fast enough. 

I will miss Sami and EJ when they are gone because frankly most of the rest of the cast isn't all that interesting. I love Sami and EJ when they are partners in crime together. I like when they embrace their "badness" and plot together. I think the writers have missed so many opportunities with them.  I don't understand why they have to keep pitting Sami and Kate against each other when it's clear they have great chemistry working together. It made sense when Sami was after Kate's sons but now that she's with EJ it's frankly stupid that Kate doesn't sanction it. There really should be no conflict between them at this point--they both like bad men--they finally have something to bond over. I feel like the writers continue to insist upon their rivalry because they have no imagination to create anything else. I liked how they (Sami, EJ, Kate) were all on the same side during the "Throw Nick in the River" SL.  If they waste Sami's last few months on this "There can only be one Mrs. Dimera" crap then I'm not sure I'll make it to the end.  Why can't these people quit fighting with each other and join forces to rid Salem of the Hortons? 

• Love 3

My latest unpopular opinion is that I want the Hortons back. Before the Bradys and Dimeras ate this show, they were a great family. Marie coming back as a nun and her multiple personalities were the first stories I remember, even if I was only 10 or so. I'd love to see a multi-generational return of more Hortons, maybe Mike and a less psycho Jeremy.

• Love 1
Before the Bradys and Dimeras ate this show, they were a great family.

Oh I agree they were once a reputable nice family. I have to wonder what exec had the "brilliant" (eye roll) idea to tarnish and trash them.  It would be nice if they'd all get some self-awareness and realize how much Alice and Tom are probably rolling over in their graves right now. A scene where they all sit around the Horton living room and even say "How did we lose our way after Gran died?" would be start. 

• Love 1

Me too.  He's such a big dumb doofus.  I didn't like him with Sami and I'm not crazy about Jordan, but I like the twinkle in his eye when he's charming the ladies.  I would love for him to be paired off with Hope.  I think they have major sparks.  But Rafe is at his best in lighter scenes.  He doesn't need to do a lot of thinking - it makes his brow knit up something fierce.

Nicole (when she was a scheming gold digger, not the way she is now)

Nicole the gold digger was the best.  She's too bright and witty to be playing this needy, pathetic creature.  I'm hanging on to hope that this latest catastrophe will boomerang her back into her old ways. 

• Love 1

I actually quite like Rafe. He strikes me as a truly decent guy and he's not at all hard to look at. There's a sincerity about him. Soaps have such a hard time writing good guys anymore, it's a real shame because they are very very necessary to the canvas at large. Truly good guys are, apparently, hard to write and hard to play but they are just so needed.

• Love 2
I would love for him to be paired off with Hope.  I think they have major sparks.  But Rafe is at his best in lighter scenes.

Oh, great, ever since you mentioned this, I can't NOT entertain the idea of Hope and Rafe together. And just to make this even more unpopular, they might be the only two people I currently semi-ship on the entire show :) 

• Love 1

Interesting to see how many like Rafe.   I've only liked him occasionally, and I've liked him more with Jordan than I did with Kate and WAY more than I did with Sami.  He and Sami were not a good pairing IMO.

What I don't like about Rafe is what I often don't like about how they write "good guys" these days, particularly good guys who have some power.  They so often can seem smug and sneering, and that's how I see Rafe far too often.  Not a good look IMO.

But he is pretty.

This one seems really unpopular here, but I enjoy EJ. I totally get that he's awful and don't "ship" him with anyone, but he's also one of the few characters who I find interesting, charismatic and amusing, and, lord help me, I'll miss the snarky scumbag when he's gone. And, on an embarrassingly superficial note, he's the male cast member who I find most attractive by a wide margin. 

And as long as we're talking about Sami's partners...I just don't at all get the appeal of Lucas, and I swear that I've tried! I think maybe the problem is that I started watching the show long after Lucas (and Lucas/Sami) was supposedly at his/their most interesting. I just found Lucas really boring, unlikable and (here comes the shallowness again!) unattractive. 

• Love 3

I love Sami and don't support the Ejami relationship at all so maybe if Sami hadn't gotten stuck with him so many times I wouldn't dislike him so much. He has his moments when I like him but at this point I'm ready for him to go. He's also become incredibly incompetent over the years - see his handling of Abby and Nick for further proof.

• Love 1

I love Sami as well, LP! (May I call you LP?!) She's easily one of my top five characters. And while I see why some think Alison Sweeney chomps on the scenery occasionally, I actually enjoy her acting a lot. 

• Love 3

This one seems really unpopular here, but I enjoy EJ. I totally get that he's awful and don't "ship" him with anyone, but he's also one of the few characters who I find interesting, charismatic and amusing, and, lord help me, I'll miss the snarky scumbag when he's gone. And, on an embarrassingly superficial note, he's the male cast member who I find most attractive by a wide margin. 

And as long as we're talking about Sami's partners...I just don't at all get the appeal of Lucas, and I swear that I've tried! I think maybe the problem is that I started watching the show long after Lucas (and Lucas/Sami) was supposedly at his/their most interesting. I just found Lucas really boring, unlikable and (here comes the shallowness again!) unattractive. 

Wow, Mstaken, if it weren't for the last part about not being around for the original Lumi SL, I could've written your post!!

I absolutely just lurve EJ!  I don't care if he's good, he's bad, he's got bad hair, he's got good hair, I don't care, I just L-O-V-E him!  As much as I'll miss Sami, I think I'll miss EJ most of all.  I know that's a pretty unpopular opinion but I'm good with it, more for me! ;)

I was around for the original Lumi stuff and IMO, it was just okay.  I've never seen the chemistry between them truthfully.  What I see between them now is a familiarity with each other since they have such a long history together.  I don't mind Lucas too much but he does tend to annoy me with the way he shouts everything.  He always seems so angry, even when he's not! :)

• Love 3

I also like EJ. Agree that he is charismatic, amusing, and the sexiest “bad man” in a long time on this show.   (For long time viewers who might remember him, I also loved Orpheus back in the ‘80’s and rooted for him against Mr. Smell the Farts.) I don’t think the show will be as interesting when EJ is gone. There just aren’t many other characters that have the complexities and potential that EJ’s character has. I hated the whole affair crap with Abby but at this point I’ll chalk it up to bad writing by writers that can’t write for most of the show’s characters. 

I watched when Sami was with Lucas and at one time I thought they had chemistry together, but I think she has more with EJ. At this point I prefer Sami and Lucus as good friends. I’m sure there is someone out there that Lucas could have outstanding chemistry with (not Sheryl though) where he could be a part of a more front and center couple.

• Love 2

My problem with EJ is mostly Sami related.  I'm tired of the EJ loves Sami so much, he has to destroy her life over and over again crap.  And I really hate that these idiot writers want me to believe that Sami who has been scheming since she was a teenager, who Vivian once said about, "She is so much more advanced than I was at her age," who Stefano once told Kristen about Sami "I wish my children were as good as going after what they want and getting it as Sami Brady is.  You could learn something from her." - would need EJ to help her cover up a crime.

• Love 3

Plus, the first time Sami was raped and her rapist got away with it, she shot him in the groin. Why she now has to be in love with him and bear his children is beyond me. EJ should have gone the way of Sami when she was obsessed with, and raped, Austin: mistakingly believe that they share a child who turns out to be Lucas' and ultimately fails to convince her that she returns his obsession.

• Love 3

Sami is the heart and soul of this show and when she leaves the show will decline.  There is nobody to take her place as leading lady other than Kate. 

I love EJ even if it shows he is unhappy with the writing 1,000  personalities for him to play.  Most handsome, definitely. I don't blame him for wanting to try something new.  I can't think of anyone else on the show to take his place either.  I love JJ but he's too young.  WilSon maybe, but they need better storylines. 

I guess I'm saying I'm worried about the show after Sami and EJ leave.

I was watching during during Lumi and they are still my favorite pairing.  Yes, they have taken on a brother/sister feeling now, because they were friends to start with, and are very good at coparenting.  I find Lucas very cute, and shorter man have a lot of advantages in many situations. Rafe with Sami in the plaid housewife shirts was the worst. 

I just saw a live NBC promo of NuEve hugging TruePaige.  My unpopular opinion is that they don't look remotely related to be mother/daughter, which is where this seems to be heading.  I think that accounts for some of the confusion over how Eve would fit in. I understand talent over looks (made myself laugh a little bit there, thinking of the pretty boys/girls on the show), but even given possible family resemblances, Paige is strange looking, has a huge head and speaks very slowly.  She reminds me of Ghoul Girl weirdness back in the day.  But I'll admit she's a better actress than Chloe ever was.

Speaking of resemblance, it has bothered me for a long time that Ari looks exactly like NuWill.  No casting for talent excuse there (she's not even a very smiley baby) but don't tell me they couldn't find a little hispanic girl who would be a plausible child for Gabi's huge brown eyes and smooth dark hair. It's awfully disappointing because their real child would be gorgeous. But hey, that's what the Unpopular Opinions section is for.

• Love 3

I love EJ even if it shows he is unhappy with the writing 1,000  personalities for him to play.  Most handsome, definitely. I don't blame him for wanting to try something new.

I think EJ could have been a viable character if the writers had done things differently.  Instead, as you say, EJ has 1,000 different personalities.  The writers want EJ to be a villain and a romantic leading man.  They want him to be in love with Sami, and constantly trying to destroy her life (including raping her and having Fake Rafe rape her).  They have EJ alternate between being at war with Stefano, always losing to him, and EJ having to go to Stefano to save his ass over and over again.

I don't like what they did to Sami's character to put her with EJ either.  There is no way Sami would have left Rafe or Lucas to be with EJ.  While I don't like Rafe and Lucas constantly lecturing Sami and shrieking at her, Sami was in love with and always chose Rafe or Lucas over EJ.  Whatever feelings she might have had for EJ, she loved Rafe and Lucas more, and wanted a life with them.

• Love 4
I don't have any interest in seeing Eve. I don't know anything about her and I would be fine with keeping it that way.

I liked Eve during her original run—she was a great tormentor to Kimberly Brady. But I fail to see her place in Salem now, and I can’t get on board with the recast.  And since the writers are terrible with staying true to character history, I almost expect them to butcher this one too.

I think EJ could have been a viable character if the writers had done things differently.  Instead, as you say, EJ has 1,000 different personalities.  The writers want EJ to be a villain and a romantic leading man.  They want him to be in love with Sami, and constantly trying to destroy her life (including raping her and having Fake Rafe rape her).  They have EJ alternate between being at war with Stefano, always losing to him, and EJ having to go to Stefano to save his ass over and over again.

Agree they have blown so much potential and possibility with EJ’s flip-flopping. Showing him struggle to some degree gives him a nice degree of grayness but the writers haven’t executed it well the majority of the time. I’ll miss JS but I can’t blame him, as an actor, for wanting to get out. One of the biggest current problems with this show is that the writers don’t seem to understand the characters that they write for.

If the show fails because of Sami leaving, it will only be because the show chose to put her front and center for the past decade and they're failing at transitioning her out (and bringing interesting characters to the forefront) and/or because the genre as a whole is declining. I'm looking forward to it because AS is a subpar actress and I've long been tired of the Brady Who Ate Salem Show. If done right, I think she's easily replaceable, both as a leading character and an actress. I could easily see Theresa as someone who can eventually fill her shoes. 

Outside of giving Theresa some non-Brady relatives, I'm not looking forward to Eve anymore. That they're shoehorning her in w/Paige, who is beyond dull, is not a good sign. And on a purely shallow note, KDP looks haggard as hell in the previews. 

I don’t believe any one character/actress/actor/couple makes or breaks a soap.  Days’ ratings are declining for the same reason so many other soaps are – lousy writing.  Soaps were meant to be ensemble shows.  Characters coming and going is a natural part of soaps.  Corday and the writers have failed at their jobs, and there is only so much the actresses/actors can do with the lousy writing they are given.

The producers and writers of soaps in general need to stop trying to force the fans to like or dislike certain characters or couples.  The propping of characters, and jerking around of the fan bases is another reason people stop watching.

If they wrote interesting/entertaining characters with good SLs, people would watch.

• Love 4

I don’t believe any one character/actress/actor/couple makes or breaks a soap.  Days’ ratings are declining for the same reason so many other soaps are – lousy writing.  Soaps were meant to be ensemble shows.  Characters coming and going is a natural part of soaps.  Corday and the writers have failed at their jobs, and there is only so much the actresses/actors can do with the lousy writing they are given.

ITA with this.  If Days fails it won't be because of EJ and Sami leaving, it's because of the lazy, mind-numbing writing and storylines. It's a shame too because there are a lot of unexplored avenues they could go with these characters.

My unpopular opinion is that I like Paige.  She seems smart and together and we could use more of that on Days.  She seems like a real teen and I think she and JJ click.  Not sure how I feel about all the mom drama coming up but I'll wait to see how that goes. 

• Love 2

Every time someone mentions they don't like Sami, a huge debate ensues all about why she's AMAZING, THE ENTIRE SHOW, A WONDERFUL ACTRESS AND CHARACTER vs. why she SUCKS, SCENE CHEWS, IS A HEINOUS CHARACTER!

No one character leaving will make or break a show.  The roads in Hollywood are littered with characters and actors/actresses that left their respective shows and the show went on to do just fine.  

And contrary to belief, the sun does not rise and set on Sami's imperfect, annoying ass.  The show does not need another woman to come in and take her place.  Why don't we do something new and exciting like writing for ALL the characters on the show and not just one?

• Love 1

Well, I've been soundly whomped for giving an Unpopular Opinion in the Unpopular Opinions section. 

Well I'll take my whoopin' along with you then, because I also like Sami and EJ and think she's a character who always give energy to the scene.  And Sami and EJ as a couple work better than any current couples do IMO. 

It probably helps that I wasn't watching when during the rape storyline, or when Sami shot EJ in the head.  Hence the difference, I think, between how long term and newish viewers see characters.

• Love 3

It probably helps that I wasn't watching when during the rape storyline, or when Sami shot EJ in the head.  Hence the difference, I think, between how long term and newish viewers see characters.

I watched both of those storylines when they played out, & I'm still a Sami/Ejami fan.

• Love 2

Well, I've been soundly whomped for giving an Unpopular Opinion in the Unpopular Opinions section. 

Oh no, QuelleC!  Don't feel like that!  It's all good and we all have different opinions.  Most everyone here hates Nick and I just loved him to pieces, even when he was strutting around town with his hipster scarf and chai latte, annoying everyone with his cryptic comments and juicy lip smacking.  I hated that they killed him off. 

I do think there are a lot of people who will be extremely upset/stop watching when Sami is gone - the problem with building a show around a single character is that when that person leaves, you have a huge hole in the show.  And someone like KM/Abby can't even begin to fill that hole.  BUT I do think if handled properly by the writers, the show can grow into more of an ensemble again.  Unfortunately, i don't think the writers are up for the task.  It's very disappointing to me that we have the opportunity to create a larger scope for the show, but the writers will probably insist on bringing in a new leading lady to fill the hole left by AS and the show will continue to limp along, struggling to make it on the shoulders of one person.

And lastly, I will miss the cute, funny Sami that we saw today and I would have enjoyed watching more of her with Kate.  There was a lot of wasted potential with those two and I loved their scenes together.  How great would it have been if we had a storyline where Marlena realized that Sami had more feelings and respect towards Kate then she did for her own mother?

• Love 2

Not trying to be rude, but making such sweeping statements as the show is going to suffer without Sami will illicit extreme comments in response to that.  Maybe prepare yourself to hear people refuting that kind of statement next time?  Sami is a character who, for the most part, has no black and white area when it comes to fans of the show.  You either love her or hate her.  As many people who don't want to see her go, there are that many more who won't be sorry she's gone.  

I think one thing can probably be said for Sami is that she's been on the front burner far too long and has been stifled as a character who has had virtually NO growth whatsoever.  And they've turned her into an idiot in order to force with EJ.  While I don't like Sami, I never thought she was stupid when she was with Lucas.  

(edited)

None of the characters have gotten any growth.  It's not just Sami.

I think Sami will leave a hole in the canvas like Bo, Steve, etc., did because the writers haven’t developed characters to fill the voids.

It’s not that characters can’t be replaced.  It’s that the writers haven’t bothered to do so.  They continue to limp along with the same boring repetitive SLs, and when someone’s favorite character/actress leaves, they stop watching because they don’t have a reason to continue to do so.

Edited by TigerLynx
  • Love 3
And Sami and EJ as a couple work better than any current couples do IMO.

I too think they work better than any current couples do, but I can’t say it’s because I missed their more unsavory scenes. I saw the car rape when it aired; I didn’t find it particularly shocking. Perhaps because in comparison to so many of the other rapes in Salem it was implied more than it was detailed; it was coerced rather than violent. In the end it felt more like a hokey plot twist to get Sami pregnant with twins by two different men, another poor (and ill thought out) writing decision on the part of the writers in a long line of ones to come.  So it should be a testament to the chemistry between JS and AS that the couple has a strong fan following and are still one of the more intriguing characters on the show despite all the bad writing they’ve endured.

While I agree that no one character can make or break a show, I also agree that AS and JS’s simultaneous departures could cause the show to take a hit for two factors that should concern TPTB but I suspect only one of them does.  First, daytime ratings have been struggling for years and soaps have died off left and right. Second, because of this it’s imperative that the writers spin some more interesting/engaging stories and create more pairing between actors that actually have chemistry together. That’s not happening. and that could be a big problem next time they are up for renewal.

Speaking personally, right now EJ/Sami are largely why I tune in because no one else is all that interesting.  Kayla is rarely seen and without Steve anyway; Belle/Shawn/Philip are out of town; Bo is gone and Hope’s pairing with Aiden is a dud; Theresa and Brady started out with potential but the writers don’t seem to have much vision with them.

The fact that they tried to force KM as a lead actress onto the viewers worse than EJ forced himself onto Sami either displays the stupidity of TPTB or the desperateness of them.  Did they really think Abby would fly as a fan favorite? Even if she hadn’t come between EJ and Sami, annoying a certain percentage of the viewers, she’s been on the show for years and hadn’t shined in any other SL they’d given her.  All of the fan favorites that I can recall were favorites pretty much off the bat, their potential evident in their early months on the show.

• Love 4

I'm guessing this is going to be a pretty unpopular opinion.  :) 

I don't want to see Sami go all scorched earth with EJ.  I realize he cheated on her, and I certainly don't condone cheating.  That being said, I don't want to see her steal his business or kill him over such a small thing.  Small, meaning comparatively to all the other horrible things EJ and Sami have done to each other over the years. 

I think having a 2-night stand with Abby is probably as minor a misdeed as either Sami or EJ has committed over the years.  Unlike say, hiding kids from each other (or pretending said kid was dead), EJ hiring a FakeRafe to sexually assault Sami, Sami shooting EJ in the head or attempting to set him on fire.  And so on, ad naseum. 

It seems like EJ's affair could've just led to Sami dumping EJ.  She could expose EJ and Abby at the wedding with a lifesize portrait of them making out, or something of that sort; then tell both EJ and Abby to go eff themselves and move out and on with her life. 

Don't get me wrong, I don't mind seeing Sami playing mind games with them both at this point.  I just think it would be out of proportion to launch a corporate takeover or murder EJ as retaliation for cheap affair. 

Sami certainly doesn't owe Abby anything.  She has been nice to Abby and sincerely tried to be her friend while Abby was trying to boink Sami's fiance.  Sami has every right to want to expose Abby and EJ for the whole town to see. 

I'm not saying that Sami necessarily owes EJ anything either; as far as letting him slide with the affair or anything.  But, in just the last year alone, EJ has given up everything, as well as bent over backwards to try and cover-up a potential murder, in order to save Sami. 

Obviously Stefano framed Sami for the Bernardi shooting, but, she still faced a very real chance of going away for a long time.  And EJ did give up everything, as well as grovel to Stefano like a little bitch, in order to save Sami.  It wasn't something he hesitated about for a minute. 

The whole Nick thing?  Sami knew he was alive when she shoved him into the river.  She was essentially fully committed to second degree murder even when, though they presumed he was dead when he went into the river, her turned out to be very much alive.  She was willing to kill him and cover it up.  Not saying Nick didn't deserve it, but, still a crime.  And yet, EJ ran around cleaning up the crime scene, threatening Nick and Percy to keep quiet, and basically putting himself under Nick's thumb.  I know Sami said she didn't need EJ's help, but it wasn't looking very likely that Kate/Sami/Gabi was going to pull things off. 

So, when I look at the long history of Sami and EJ, they have done a lot worse things to each other over the years.  And when I look at recent history -- minus the cheating -- EJ bent over backwards to get Sami out of trouble.  Does that mean he should get a pass on cheating?  Definitely not.  But, like I said, it should just be a matter of expose the cheating to the town and walk -- leave EJ at the altar if necessary -- and be done with it. 

Although it might be more exciting to see Sami engage in a corporate takeover -- or hatching another murder plan (that wouldn't be exciting to me) -- it would just seem like a huge overreaction to me.  As they say, let the punishment fit the crime.  Public humiliation, even a catfight/smackdown?  Sure, why not?  Corporate takeover or murder?  Seems like overkill to me.

Of course, this is a soap, and it's more drama to have Sami kill EJ or steal his company, I guess.  It just doesn't appeal to me,  because of the fact that it seems like an extreme reaction. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I think the corporate takeover might be a cumulative reaction to the stuff Sami has been through with EJ, not necessarily just the cheating. I think she may also be reacting to the Kristen lie. I think the corporate takeover also helps to get back at Stephano, both on Kate's behalf and also on behalf of Sami for having to deal with him telling her she should stay in the mansion no matter what (I forgot the reasons).  I hate Stephano, so, yeah, sounds fine to me.

Just as EJ has gone out on a limb for her at times, she's gone out on a limb and had to deal with her family sticking their noses down at her for being with EJ. Then he stupidly goes and sort of more or less proves them correct. In that sense, I can see why she's ticked. When you have to deal with your family telling you how lame you are for choosing a certain guy, and that same guy goes out and proves their assertions after claiming everything is going to be different this time and he'll never ever lie to you, it's got to grate. I would assume EJ's forgetting how to use birth control most likely hasn't helped matters. Not knowing how to use birth control while you're cheating on me would be very difficult for me to get past, although maybe I'm harsher than other women on this issue.

When Eric was telling her how crappy she was for being with EJ, she had to stand there and take it. Yeah, I can see why she feels EJ has made a fool of her and she wants to make him see how it feels to be the one looking like a fool.  I know he's looked like a fool in the past, like after he got shot in the head and yet strangely fell for her again, but that was by choice. No one was really begging him to be obsessed with Sami. He chose that path. This time she's going to let him know how it feels to be a fool by someone else's hand.

Nonetheless, I agree with everyone who says JS has a very handsome face. However, right now, I can see why Sami wants payback after having to look at Marlena's frozen face scrutinize her (I assume that's what she's doing because why else would her nose stick up in the air like that?) for picking EJ.

Edited by bantering
  • Love 5

I like seeing Sami and Kate working together because it is something new while the crap EJ has pulled in the same old same old.  It's eight years later, and EJ is still ruining Sami's life while claiming to love her.  I would rather see Sami and Kate interact.  At least they are interesting together.

• Love 4
(edited)

Admittedly, I'm not hugely familiar with their past, but what does Kate need payback against Stefano for? 

I know at one point she was a hooker, and I think that's how he met her.  Over the years, they've been adversarial, as well as romantically linked.  When they were married, didn't Kate cheat on Stefano?  Wasn't he then kidnapped by the man she cheated on him with, and his death faked?

I guess I basically had the idea that Kate and Stefano had a pretty equal power structure where they fought each other, used each other, and even loved each other at times. 

Again though, I'm not super familiar with older Days history, so maybe I'm missing something.  I don't particularly want to see Kate trying to steal Dimera Enterprises because she got booted out of Victor's company and that she thinks she deserves to be a woman of wealth and power.  Is there a plausible other reason? 

Sincerely asking, because I truly don't know. 

I could see Sami going after Stefano, what with him framing her for Bernardi's death, the Kristen/Eric stuff he helped Kristen with, plus a ton of other stuff he did to various Bradys.  I could see Sami going after him.  Much moreso than Sami going after EJ or Kate going after Stefano. 

It seems to me that Kate and Sami have done worse to each other in the past -- wasn't Sami almost executed because Kate framed her for murder? -- than EJ or Stefano did to either one of them?

Edited by Beach Blonde
(edited)

Yeah, I'm with you on not understanding how a quickie affair is the straw that broke the camel's back. If they are now going to tell us that she's doing this for Eric, I won't be biting, though, simply because I'm sick of this show telling me stuff after the fact as if it didn't play out entirely differently on screen. Sami was fine with dropping the Kristen bit with EJ once she realized she needed his help with Nick. If they try to say that once she got what she needed from EJ, she resumed her fight for Eric's honor, we didn't see it happening. This is the problem with the "tell, don't show" stuff this show pulls.

My latest unpopular opinion is that I don't agree that Kate is a better mother figure to Sami than Marlena is. Marlena may be dead inside, but she never tried to frame Sami for murder, use a Will doll to scare Sami, or verbally and mentally abuse her for two decades!

It seems to me that Kate and Sami have done worse to each other in the past -- wasn't Sami almost executed because Kate framed her for murder?  -- than EJ or Stefano did to either one of them?

Honestly, I think it's a draw when it comes to terrible stuff done to one other where all of these folks are concerned. 

Edited by shesajar