Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Where My Dreidel At

• Start Topic

I did NOT see Leanne being Amish coming, but I LOVED the twist.

Me either! I knew she spoke German but actual Penn-Dutch Amish, actually getting baptized no way. It was heartbreaking that she really seemed like she was going to give up the 'bad' life, to be happy and whatnot, and the law actually pushed her into doing ... the right thing, which cost her everything she wanted, which caused her to do bad things and end up in jail

that's twisted. 

• Love 6

Her being Amish and the whole Lorna cult makes me want to go back and watch some Season One episodes, when she was following Pennsatucky. I remember her being really unlikeable and sycophantic, but not sure if she was as pushy then with her need for following the rules.

• Love 2

Her being Amish and the whole Lorna cult makes me want to go back and watch some Season One episodes, when she was following Pennsatucky. I remember her being really unlikeable and sycophantic, but not sure if she was as pushy then with her need for following the rules.

I kind of wonder if they didn't really have a plan for backstories for minor characters like Leanne originally (Leanne isn't really the most Amish of names) and they just picked bits and pieces of their character traits to flesh out.

• Love 4
(edited)

Since Piper and Alex were so neatly wrapped up by E4, I figured they would be unwrapped by the end of the season. Valid reason for kissing another girl, Piper. (eye roll). I'm sure she will lie to Alex about it next episode.

That was a great Amish twist for Leanne. Some of these backstories are really sad.

In fact, most of them are.  Were there any unsympathetic backstories besides Black Cindy's?

Which brings me to this...Black Cindy is my favorite character..just as is...hysterical backgound comments.

She does not need her own story.

Edited by SaabStory
  • Love 4

Yeah, I'm disappointed that the donut dude storyline got creepy so fast. I actually expected worse when he yelled at her to get in the mud, and I'm still uneasy about him. Also, I know that Nicky got "corrections officer" suggested on her job aptitude test, but with the right training, I actually think Pennsatucky would be good at that job. Never would've thunk it from season 1!

After the disappointingly predictable backstory for big Boo, I've been quite pleased with the surprising looks into Flaca, Norma, and Leanne's pasts. I love how this show plants little hints to bigger storylines along the way like Leanne randomly speaking German and Piper making an off-hand comment to the sewing room supervisor about being able to fit an extra pair of panties on the fabric. It makes my inevitable re-watches all the more satisfying.

Another Black Cindy fan here, SaabStory. She always cracks me up, and her line delivery is the best. I'd have to say that Caputo is my favorite character, but she is definitely in the top 5.

Has it been established exactly why Piper is spending all this time and energy with the panty girls scheme? She made a random comment earlier in the season about being homeless and jobless when she gets out, so I assume she's building some kind of nest egg, but that doesn't seem to be her prime motivator now. Is it out of boredom? Just for fun? After what she's been through in the SHU and experiencing max in Chicago, I wouldn't think she'd take this kind of risk. But even if it doesn't make sense, it gives me more Cal screen time, so I'm happy. I don't have a brother, but seeing the two of them discuss the various details of this enterprise together is equal parts cringeworthy and hilarious.

• Love 1

what i don't understand - is that Piper isn't stupid. okay. back up

Piper isn't without options. Yes she'll have a record, but she was planning Poppy or whatever that scented thing was going to be. she obviously has some business acumen that allowed her to be the face of Poppy and have business people talk to her. So why couldn't she do that when she comes out? Her parents weren't going to boot her out. it makes no sense

and out of everything to do? funky smelling underwear? 

• Love 2

Loved the Amish twist! 

Piper gets the most boring storylines. A threesome? Really? Ugh.

Sophia's son is a piece of work. And she should have apologized to Gloria after that phone call.

I'm starting to be worried about Soso, she's very depressed and I don't want her to kill herself.

The donut guy got creepy soon. But Dogget isn't an easy prey. She just has to tell what happened to her religious friends and the press will be there in a minute. I trust  her to get rid of him one way or another.

I think it's absolutely hilarious that the nun is the only one to be "officially" Jew. 

• Love 5

Taylor Schilling's performance in the seduction scene with the new girl was some of her worst work ever.  She was so goofy.

Her acting has been off and weird all season. I don't know if the perpetual "goofy" look in Piper's eyes is intentional or not, but it's ruining her character. 

• Love 6

I was rewatching season one and Leanne says she was a girl scout and they learned about tampons in their troupe. So much for her being Amish from the beginning for the writers! haha

Not necessarily. She could have lied. (shrug). it sounded like she was v. embarrassed about being Amish (in prison). she only felt comfortable about it with the whole NormaFaith started. she was so pissed when she let it slip about the buggy & bonnet and Soso & Chang teased her. 

• Love 2

Not necessarily. She could have lied. (shrug). it sounded like she was v. embarrassed about being Amish (in prison). she only felt comfortable about it with the whole NormaFaith started. she was so pissed when she let it slip about the buggy & bonnet and Soso & Chang teased her. 

Possibly, but having Amish relatives, I know most of them wouldn't know that Girl Scouts have troops and the troops have numbers. They honestly may not even know what Girl Scouts are. Yes, Leanne did get into drugs, but that is not uncommon with Amish kids in rumpsringa, which is different than knowing about things like Girl Scouts and troops and troop numbers. Unless Leanne spent A LOT of time outside of the faith, which it doesn't seem like she did. Plus the name Leanne in itself isn't very Amish.

But I do think they did a good job with the storyline and portraying it accurately once they decided that's where they were going.

• Love 5

Possibly, but having Amish relatives, I know most of them wouldn't know that Girl Scouts have troops and the troops have numbers. They honestly may not even know what Girl Scouts are. Yes, Leanne did get into drugs, but that is not uncommon with Amish kids in rumpsringa, which is different than knowing about things like Girl Scouts and troops and troop numbers. Unless Leanne spent A LOT of time outside of the faith, which it doesn't seem like she did. Plus the name Leanne in itself isn't very Amish.

But I do think they did a good job with the storyline and portraying it accurately once they decided that's where they were going.

I agree, I think they came up with this story-line recently. She's been portrayed all along as a sort of white trash, uneducated meth-head. I'm not buying at all that she grew up with respectability and a decent family.

It just doesn't ring true.

• Love 14

Piper was starting to work for me as more of just a part of the ensemble than the main focus of the show.  Her story has always been one of the least interesting, but the comedy stuff works pretty well.  I don't really get any chemistry between her and the new girl, and it doesn't help that she isn't even interesting enough on her own for me to have bothered to learn her name.

Pennsatucky has terrible luck.

• Love 1

I agree, I think they came up with this story-line recently. She's been portrayed all along as a sort of white trash, uneducated meth-head. I'm not buying at all that she grew up with respectability and a decent family.

It just doesn't ring true.

Yes indeed. She has been a complete idiot for most of the whole series and suddenly in this episode she grows a slightly larger brain. This does not jive with last season where she was a complete dunce with the whole hunger strike situation.

• Love 5

I'm going with Leanne had to make friends with people in the world after she left her family, she wasn't able to return to her Amish friends that she helped bust.  She must have gotten in with a group and done things to land herself in jail - It's possible Leanne heard someone else talking about girl scouts troops - and she doesn't want to seem like an outcast so she may have been repeated a story she had heard.

Leanne's story made me feel bad for her, well until she started being Leanne to Soso. 

I wonder if the brief German exchange with Poussey will bring them to a common ground - and at least have convos in German- I think that would make them both happy.

• Love 3

what i don't understand - is that Piper isn't stupid. okay. back up

Piper isn't without options. Yes she'll have a record, but she was planning Poppy or whatever that scented thing was going to be. she obviously has some business acumen that allowed her to be the face of Poppy and have business people talk to her. So why couldn't she do that when she comes out? Her parents weren't going to boot her out. it makes no sense

and out of everything to do? funky smelling underwear? 

This is my biggest problem with this underwear business as well.  Piper, as much as she hates to admit it, is not like the others.  She is supposed to be in for a short time and she has options when she gets out, she is not going to be poor or destitute or desperate.  I don't know why she is risking all that by running a business like this in prison. 

• Love 5

Loved the Amish twist! 

Piper gets the most boring storylines. A threesome? Really? Ugh.

Sophia's son is a piece of work. And she should have apologized to Gloria after that phone call.

I'm starting to be worried about Soso, she's very depressed and I don't want her to kill herself.

The donut guy got creepy soon. But Dogget isn't an easy prey. She just has to tell what happened to her religious friends and the press will be there in a minute. I trust  her to get rid of him one way or another.

I think it's absolutely hilarious that the nun is the only one to be "officially" Jew. 

I have had the vibe for the last few seasons that Soso may kill herself, but hasn't happened yet.  ANd no attempts. 

I also don't know how long she is supposed to be in for.  Sadly maybe Healy is right when he told her basically she may be better off just being mostly alone and making it through the best she can day by day.  While it may be better for the women while in prison to have someone to turn to, its not like any of them are getting any happy endings so far out of it all, even when they have made it of jail. 

The twist I did not expect out of the Amish story was her being shunned by the whole society and ostracized for snitching on the other Amish kids.  Sure its not a great thing to do to your friends, but she had no options and you would think adults would understand that, place the blame and understand the problem better than blaming the snitch.  Not exactly a pleasant reflection on AMish society

• Love 2

I'm going with Leanne had to make friends with people in the world after she left her family, she wasn't able to return to her Amish friends that she helped bust.  She must have gotten in with a group and done things to land herself in jail - It's possible Leanne heard someone else talking about girl scouts troops - and she doesn't want to seem like an outcast so she may have been repeated a story she had heard.

She must have been on her own for awhile, since in her Amish flashbacks, her teeth looked ok, but in prison she her teeth are fairly messed up. 

That was a great Amish twist for Leanne. Some of these backstories are really sad.

In fact, most of them are.  Were there any unsympathetic backstories besides Black Cindy's?

Which brings me to this...Black Cindy is my favorite character..just as is...hysterical backgound comments.

She does not need her own story.

This is starting to annoy me a little. It seems like everyone is prison has a sad backstory or is a victim of circumstance. The only real straight up criminals seem to have been Vee, Rosa, Alex and Black Cindy. It is starting to remind me of the show Flashpoint, the Canadian cop drama (that was on CBS for awhile) about a SWAT team type of group. They would show the flashbacks of criminals there and it was kind of the same thing with the super sympathetic back stories. 

Also, Black Cindy is my favourite character as well.

• Love 3

I think it's less sympathetic backstories and more human ones. Piper isn't especially sympathetic, IMHO, and Morello is, but her backstory was terrifying and shows that she is extremely mentally ill. Black Cindy isn't very sympathetic, but you do see depth in her interactions with her daughter/sister. Poussey is sympathetic, but also shows how bad her judgement is, as is Nicki being caught up in her addiction. Few people are outright villainous or heroic, even the much hated Vee was charismatic and gave Taystee stability, however fucked six ways to Sunday she did it.

• Love 23
(edited)

The only real straight up criminals seem to have been Vee, Rosa, Alex and Black Cindy.

And Chang and Miss Claudette. (Chang does have a sad story but it's hard to deny that by the end she is a straight-up criminal.)

I don't think Aleida's backstory does her any favors, and I thought Nicki's flashback this season made her less sympathetic rather than more so. Even Sophia -- I have some sympathy for her, but there's no question that she made the choice to steal all on her own. I don't really see her as a victim of circumstance so much.

Edited by Sophronisba
  • Love 2

The donut guy got creepy soon.

The scene at the lake creeped me out big time, possibly bc I recently watched the Cleveland Abduction Lifetime movie and Taryn Manning played one of the victims.  Seemed way too close for home.

The scene with the rabbi and the ladies was maybe my favorite of the whole series.  Angie trying to pronounce Rosh Hashana was gold!

• Love 1
(edited)

I like the new girl, but I don't know if they've ever said her name on camera, either.  She's captivating.  I didn't really like her line delivery at first, but maybe it's growing on me.

Piper is just an asshole, like I don't really get it.  Was she always this way?  I didn't mind her so much before, did I?  Or did I just forget... because it's LITERALLY a year between shows and I binge watch them in a week.

I have zero interest in the meth-heads that aren't Pennsatucky; they gross me out way too much and their acting sucks, and I have zero interest in Gina who I find not compelling in the least.  I'm dreading that that's where the next backstories are coming from.

I feel bad that veteran actor Lori Petty is just relegated to being Alex's stalker.  It would have been cooler if she had a part similar to Vee's or something.  I guess there was such a backlash to the overarching Vee story last season that they made this one super light and boring.  But that's what it is to me... boring.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 3

I loved Vee's story last season. It allowed so many of the actresses to show their range.

I really don't care about Piper. She's so boring and lifeless. I hate that Ruby Rose is being wasted on her. I even think I could tolerate Alex if she was Piper-free.

I could watch the scene of the ladies trying to convince the Rabi they're Jewish all day. Black Cindy is the MVP of the show.

• Love 4
(edited)

Has it been established exactly why Piper is spending all this time and energy with the panty girls scheme? She made a random comment earlier in the season about being homeless and jobless when she gets out, so I assume she's building some kind of nest egg, but that doesn't seem to be her prime motivator now. Is it out of boredom? Just for fun? After what she's been through in the SHU and experiencing max in Chicago, I wouldn't think she'd take this kind of risk.

Yeah, I gotta say I'm not enjoying this story line at all.  Piper does not have a long sentence IIRC so it makes NO sense to start an operation that is part smuggling part embezzlement.  She is stealing materials and time from her employer (she's paid for the time she spends making the extra panties.)  This is going to prolong her sentence.  The whole scheme strikes me as so ill-considered that I can't stand watching it.  Though I guess it rings true -- she landed in prison in the first place due to some epically bad decisions.

As a wanna-be writer and outspoken fan of Diana Gabaldon on the internet, I am thoroughly enjoying Crazy Eye's new position as emerging literary genius and her dislike of fan fiction. And after sitting through the dreck that is the movie "50 Shades of Grey" last night, and knowing what I do about the source material, Suzanne's success at a prison-house novelist is completely credible.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 2

I was rewatching season one and Leanne says she was a girl scout and they learned about tampons in their troupe. So much for her being Amish from the beginning for the writers! haha

That's what annoyed me most about this season. Back stories changed and even personalities were transplanted all in an effort by the writers to tell the story they wanted to tell. The Dogget of season one is a completely different character than season 3 Dogget, and it has nothing do with growth or change.

It really is quite evident they make it all up as they go along.

• Love 6

Piper has what, 3-5 months to go on her sentence at this point? She had a 15 month sentence, went to Litchfield in and around September and 'celebrated' her June birthday early this season. Not only is the panty scheme nonsensical but Alex would never have forgiven her for ensuring she was sent back to complete her multiple years sentence just so Piper can hang out with her for her last 6 months inside.

• Love 1

I thought Piper had 12 months. You can track the passage of time by the growth of Daya's baby - remember, Piper and Daya were admitted on the same day. (The minute they entered the prison together, Aleida popped up out of nowhere and cold-cocked Daya)

(I mean, 12 months total. Not 12 months left.)

Piper has what, 3-5 months to go on her sentence at this point? She had a 15 month sentence, went to Litchfield in and around September and 'celebrated' her June birthday early this season. Not only is the panty scheme nonsensical but Alex would never have forgiven her for ensuring she was sent back to complete her multiple years sentence just so Piper can hang out with her for her last 6 months inside.

She got more time in Season 2 for not giving testimony and "lying under oath" when Alex told her to. The whole point of her short sentence what's her agreement to testify against the guy Alex was working for. When Alex gave a statement and Poper didn't they probably added more time to Pipers sentence.

I know Piper and Larry talked a lot about her being gone for 'a year' in S1 but I was basing the 15 months on Kerman's RL sentence, 15mo of which she served 13. Piper's sentence has never changed in length in OITNB. She was offered her immediate freedom at the start of S2 if she testified against Cubra. When she didn't the penalty was having to complete her sentence. At this point it is at least July and she'll be out in time to do her Christmas shopping. The panty business storyline makes no sense, she's on the home stretch of her sentence.

Maybe Piper is just self-destructive and makes bad choices? That's enough of a reason for me. Is the soap making business still available for her when she gets out? I thought Polly basically let the business die when she ended up with Larry. She could be panicking about not having anything when she gets out. I guess she can stay with her parents, but after the last visit, it might not be an option either. 

Suzanne's literary popularity is hilarious. Good for her though. 

• Love 1
(edited)

The panty scheme makes sense to me because Piper is self-destructive and can't make a wise decision to save her damn life.  I wasn't in disbelief for a second on that one (I may have even muttered "of course you are" when she started making out with that new chick after manipulating the system to get Alex back there so she wouldn't be alone for a whole 2 months.  Piper is THE WORST.)

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 7

I know I'm way behind everyone else -I'm only on episode 9 - but I'm calling hot Aussie girl as the hitman - Lolly seems to obvious.  I like Piper's underwear storyline, but not much else.  I hate her dismissiveness of Alex. Seriously, who hasn't heard of an inmate being hired out to take care of another prisoner?

• Love 3

I also think Aussie model is the hitman.  What else is that character doing there?   Now that they've shown Lolly apparently tracking Alex's movements and possibly stealing a big chunk of broken glass, she has to be a red herring.  

I also agree that Leanne was never meant to be Amish from day 1, but I enjoyed the story anyway.  I certainly don't think that every flashback portrays the characters as victims of circumstance.  Cindy, Morello, Rosa, Gloria, Piper, Alex, Nicki, Red, and Chang (to name a few) all clearly chose to do what they did.  The back stories allow us to get to know them better.  On the other hand, I do think Taystee and Daya didn't have much of a chance at a crime-free life…they were brought up by parental figures in the drug business.  But they are the only two I think about that way.

Love that Chang's movie references are all from the 80s.  Sure, "Witness" was an obvious choice, but it had to be Chang who said it.  She's been in a looong time.

• Love 1

Piper's sentence has never changed in length in OITNB. She was offered her immediate freedom at the start of S2 if she testified against Cubra.

They offered her immediate release? I don't recall that. They made her decision out to be, "Do I do the right thing and help put Kubra away, or do I preserve my safety by lying?"

I know Piper and Larry talked a lot about her being gone for 'a year' in S1 but I was basing the 15 months on Kerman's RL sentence, 15mo of which she served 13. Piper's sentence has never changed in length in OITNB. She was offered her immediate freedom at the start of S2 if she testified against Cubra. When she didn't the penalty was having to complete her sentence. At this point it is at least July and she'll be out in time to do her Christmas shopping. The panty business storyline makes no sense, she's on the home stretch of her sentence.

I remember Piper telling Healy, when she first met him shortly after arriving at Litchfield, that she was sentenced to 15 months.

When Alex gave a statement and Poper didn't they probably added more time to Pipers sentence.

If memory serves, Piper's lawyer (Larry's dad) told her she'd ruined her shot at early release. Not that she'd have time added.

Has the other laundry room white trash meth head inmate (forgot her name but she is brunette and best friends with Leanne) had a flashback yet? I would like to see her backstory most. Also the burn victim from Red's kitchen, and the butch looking Golden Girl.