Type keyword(s) to search

The Bachelor in the Media

• Start Topic

(edited)
5 hours ago, ByTor said:

Yeah, I agree with you there, but I thought you were talking about people being that way currently in relation to social media.

Sorry if I wasn't clear but it was more along the lines of extrapolating what can happen when certain points of view are exposed to more people/diversity.   It can challenge previous assumptions of how people see things they may have previously seen as harmless.  That phenomena isn't new; social media just have it a new form.

Not that everyone changes their minds but there consideration can be a good thing.  Maybe this will lead to better pranks at least. 

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1

If they really wanted to prank us they should have said they broke up and Lauren is going to be co-bachelorette with Becca. It would be the Arie's Rejects Edition. Or they could have said Arie changed his mind again and he is now with the other Bekah. haha

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

Maybe this will lead to better pranks at least.

LOL maybe I'm just crabby, I never found April Fools jokes particularly funny anyway :)

5 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

If they really wanted to prank us they should have said they broke up and Lauren is going to be co-bachelorette with Becca. It would be the Arie's Rejects Edition. Or they could have said Arie changed his mind again and he is now with the other Bekah. haha

Just when I said I don't like April Fools jokes, you have to embarrass me by coming up with a good one :)

• Love 4

I just think that Arie and Lauren think they are far funnier than others think.  I also think that they will be beloved and will become celebrities with a celebrity lifestyle hence Lauren's "too glam to give a damn."

19 hours ago, ByTor said:

LOL maybe I'm just crabby, I never found April Fools jokes particularly funny anyway :)

This conversation has definitely waded into much broader territory on humour and offense and opinions, etc. but this kind of sums it up. The kind of jokes that April Fools jokes usually are tend to be the sort designed to at best embarass the one getting fooled, and are usually much funnier to the fooler. Most such things are more on the harmless end of the spectrum, but they can definitely cross a line, and it's very hard to know exactly where the line is, because it's in a different place for everyone, and who gets to decide when something is "just a joke" and anyone upset by it is being too sensitive, and when something is "genuinely offensive" and the perpetrator is a straight-up jerk?

I guess, if one is in the public eye, someone's going to object to pretty much everything you ever say, so you might as well just do you, and expect/ignore the inevitable backlash.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, kingshearte said:

I guess, if one is in the public eye, someone's going to object to pretty much everything you ever say, so you might as well just do you, and expect/ignore the inevitable backlash.

This. 

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, ByTor said:
34 minutes ago, kingshearte said:

This. 

Yes, This! They say "you, can't please everyone so you, have to please yourself."

So if pretending to be pregnant for a hot minute made those two morons happy, good for them.

• Love 2
(edited)
On 4/4/2018 at 7:20 AM, Irlandesa said:

Now?  No.  But in the past? Yes.

I don't know. I'd say there's still a lot of unexpected socially accepted 'casual' racism floating around both the internet and communities even today.

I returned to my fairly rural home county on the other side of the country last year, for my fathers funeral and I saw relatives (biologically close ones too) that I hadn't even thought of in years. The way that they casually wove racism and homeophobia throughout their conversations was shocking and confusing. One second we were talking about Dad and the next second the conversation would veer to include sentences containing such gems as "....they're probably not all bad but...'.

I wish I could say I was together enough to tell them that that wasn't cool to talk that way (more than I did-which was just a little bit), but I was really just so broken at the time. Still bothers me.

Anyway, I can totally see any of my relatives from that corner of the world happily having the same conversations today, on social media, for all to see, and being surprised if anyone thought they sucked for it.  

Edited by nicgwatchingtv
  • Love 7
(edited)
On 4/2/2018 at 8:33 AM, valen said:

The tagline "too glam to give a damn" is gross. 

Is she really even that glam? I mean, I know she's got nice hair and some good clothes but she's so basic that it's hard for me to really see her as 'glam'. If she's trying for glam and this tired, predictable fluffy coat and champagne crap is the best she can come up with (especially when it's clear that's she's not working without money), than she might want to ask Marikh for some pointers or set another goal for herself.

Maybe she can design gift baskets to be given to Arie's buyers or something instead

Edited by nicgwatchingtv
  • Love 7
On 4/3/2018 at 6:07 PM, dleighg said:

I agreed with you up until this line. I am so tired of "special snowflakes" and "millennials" being blamed for everything that's wrong in this world. I read the comments lots of places, and old geezers are plenty capable of stupid statements, flat out falsehoods, and spreading urban legends and conspiracy theories. There's plenty of stupid to go around.

You and me both.  I’m pro millennial.  I better be, they’ll be footing the bill for me in 21 years.  

I mostly see hyper political older gen xers and boomers being offended.  Especially the ones I’ve known to be very bigoted in their younger days.  Maybe they’re doing penance.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, ApprenticeFan said:

Clare and Benoit broke up as well

Usually I just roll my eyes at these breakups but that one makes me sad, I was hoping Clare finally found the one. At this point I am thinking she has mental issues because she is an attractive woman.

• Love 1
On 2018-04-03 at 8:36 PM, Irlandesa said:

I'm not offended by the joke.  I would be if I thought they were clever people because that prank is so not intriguing or inventive but I don't expect better from them.

I Heck, I don't even think a lot of older generations can even define who milennials are.  And milennials?  They'll likely do the same as generations younger than they are get older. And so it goes...and so it goes. 

I'm not offended either, it's just lame. And.....a Kurt Vonnegut reference? I think I love you!

On 2018-04-05 at 12:52 PM, Mabinogia said:

Yes, This! They say "you, can't please everyone so you, have to please yourself."

So if pretending to be pregnant for a hot minute made those two morons happy, good for them.

And now, a Jim Croce reference!

On 2018-04-08 at 5:15 PM, Mu Shu said:

You and me both.  I’m pro millennial.  I better be, they’ll be footing the bill for me in 21 years.  

I mostly see hyper political older gen xers and boomers being offended.  Especially the ones I’ve known to be very bigoted in their younger days.  Maybe they’re doing penance.

Eeek, I think I'm a Boomer. The tail end of it anyway, they used to debate where it ended. I tend to dismiss a lot of racist & homophobic commenters as coming from old white folk, soon to be dead anyway, and then realize I am getting a lot closer to that demographic myself. :(

• Love 1

I really don’t think millennials are better that the “racist soon to be dead old white folk”.  I can tell you those white folk are no more racist or homophobic than anyone else.

stop whipping yourself, you’re fine.

• Love 3

I don't think it's replacing BIP. Summer is when most of ABC's scripted shows are on hiatus, so they have many hours to fill every week. My guess is they're packing in *more* of the trash, not replacing one kind of trash with another.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, DEL901 said:
8 hours ago, ByTor said:

Do you mean Bachelor in Paradise?

LOL - yes.  

(I still miss Bachelor Pad, though!)

Oh ok, I thought maybe you really did mean it was replacing Bachelor Pad in the sense that the new show might be Bachelor Pad-ish.  Kind of like how Winter Games more or less replaced Bachelor Pad.

4 hours ago, chocolatine said:

I don't think it's replacing BIP.

I don't think so either.  Wasn't at least one from the Arie season offered a stint in Paradise during the Women Tell All episode?  IIRC, the one who knows Raven?

• Love 1

An interesting piece from Glamour Magazine about the financial costs and expenses of being on the show.

https://www.glamour.com/story/bekah-martinez-on-the-real-cost-of-the-bachelor/amp

The job titles of contestants on The Bachelorand The Bachelorette is one of the franchise's longest-running jokes. There are the usual suspects—real estate agent was especially popular during Arie Luyendyk Jr.'s season—but it's the more questionable careers that get people talking, like "twin" and "sport fishing enthusiast." It's a funny concept, to be sure, but the silliness distracts from something that's rarely discussed on the show: A lot of men and women give up their jobs and financial security to be a part of this franchise. We wanted to know more, so we asked Bekah Martinez—a fan favorite and former nanny from Luyendyk Jr.'s season—to fill us in for Glamour's Money Issue.

I kept thinking, "Who would want to do this show?", as I'm reading. 

• Love 1

I wonder who he interviewed and what they said??

RealitySteve  @RealitySteve 8h8 hours ago

Just recorded NEXT week's podcast. My jaw is on the floor. Speechless. I honestly don't know what to say or how to respond. You will hear some major truth bombs next week. I will let you know who it is as we get closer bc I have a feeling this is going to be news.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, nutty1 said:

Just recorded NEXT week's podcast. My jaw is on the floor. Speechless. I honestly don't know what to say or how to respond. You will hear some major truth bombs next week. I will let you know who it is as we get closer bc I have a feeling this is going to be news.

Please report back - I just cant with Reality Steve.  I enjoy the gossip, but not his writing style or podcast shenanigans. 

• Love 3
12 minutes ago, fib said:

Please report back - I just cant with Reality Steve.  I enjoy the gossip, but not his writing style or podcast shenanigans. 

He is actually much better on his podcasts than his blogs and how he used to be when he answered people's questions live. 

10 hours ago, nutty1 said:

Did he say if this bombshell concerns Ari, the last Bachelor?

He did not say what it was in reference to.

More from RS.....

RealitySteve

@RealitySteve
Following Following @RealitySteve

I know you’ve all been guessing on next week’s podcast guest. No one’s even close. It’s a contestant from farther back. But the story isn’t necessarily WHO said it, even though they’re a very recognizable name within the franchise, it’s more about WHAT they said.

RealitySteve

@RealitySteve
Following Following @RealitySteve

It’s important and I really hope I can give you this podcast next week. It’s going to be interesting and invoke quite a reaction, I’m sure. I still don’t know how to react to some of the things I heard. I need to talk to them again privately.

_m

1 hour ago, fib said:

I love the way he has backtracked: "I hope I can give you this podcast" *eyeroll*

haha, yeah, like, why wouldn't he be able to? Does he anticipate someone stealing it? The person he talked to showing up and killing him before he can upload it? Either you have the info to put in the podcast and broadcast or you don't.

It's probably going to be some shocking reveal that someone hooked up with someone.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, chocolatine said:

RS likes to oversell his scoops. If this information was truly jaw-dropping, I doubt he'd wait until next week to post it and risk another gossip site beating him to the punch.

I wish someone would “reality Steve” (why yes I am using this as a verb) Reality Steve.... 

• Love 1

RealitySteve

Verified account

@RealitySteve

GOOD NEWS: The podcast I recorded last week will be posted. 
BETTER NEWS: I'm releasing it a day early. You'll have it tomorrow. 

When I release it tomorrow, that's when you'll know who it is and you'll hear what they have to say. This person shared a lot. Get ready.

• Love 2
46 minutes ago, Lamb18 said:

Is this Reality Steve's big scoop?

It does fit with his: “recognizable name in the franchise”from “further back” than Arie. It also fits with “Im not sure I can publish my podcast” because that story might have been an exclusive and the info embargoed since they did a photoshoot for it.  

But Im not sure it fits with “Truth Bombs”. 

That said, I think it must be based on these tweets:

He just posted his podcast on his website.  It is Meredith Phillips and she addresses alleged sexual abuse when she was the Bachelorette.  I didn't listen to it so I don't have any more details.  I never watched her season so I also know nothing about her. 

• Love 2
(edited)

I feel terrible for Meredith and what happened to her. It was definitely wrong.
But first, I am surprised she did not ever tell anyone and went on with filming.
Second, she sounds like a very troubled woman. 
She sounds....slow. Not mentally slow, but her words are slow. I don't know....she sounds very much out of it.

Yikes....update....she said she is sober "for the most part" but will drink wine on her days off. She said she has gotten wasted since her rehab days.

I think she still has a drinking problem. She lives in Oregon, maybe smoking a little happy stuff. She is not right.

RS sounds like he does not know how to respond!

Edited by nutty1
(edited)

A masseuse was hired to give her body massages (she had a sore back, I think). She gave Meredith a roofy (Meredith did not even ask what it was, she thought it was Tylenol or Aspirin). The next thing she knew the masseuse was in hot tub with her, rubbing parts she shouldn't be rubbing. Meredith told no one.

She knew it was Ian from the beginning. The producers practically threatened him to propose. They lived together after the show but he broke it off. She was deeply saddened by that.

Her dad died and she started drinking heavily. Then her mom got sick and died. Throughout this period she had a boyfriend, who apparently left because of drinking. She then reached out to her HS sweetheart, but they didn't last long. He was a big drinker too.

She went to rehab. She admits to currently drinking on her days off and still getting wasted at times. She got testy when RS said he knew her brother paid for rehab.

She still loves Ian, part of her will always love him.

She seemed off....hard to explain. If I think of anything else I will add to this.

ETA....I will add that Steve handled it pretty well, considering he had no clue. He sounded a bit shell shocked.

Edited by nutty1
  • Love 7