Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

Proof that Jane is a Yogurt Bitch: she buys, crumbles, then doesn't eat the rice cake she has!  Why buy the damn things ( because they come in packs) if you don't like them anyway?

As for why that melatonin lady has that hair and not sexy bedhead? Because she isn't Katherine Heigl and it's funny when mom-types dance to dance music.

• Love 1

I just LOVE the ad where the guy just gets out of the hospital for a blood clot (treated successfully with Warfarin, costing about 15 cents a dose)  And he wonders aloud "Maybe I could find something BETTER than Warfarin?"  So, he decides to ask his doctor for Eliquis (treats the same thing, but... it costs about 20 bucks a dose AND there is no antidote for it!  If you accidentally take an overdose. you will bleed to death internally.

Yeah, "Nomattah" that they cured you in the hospital with cheap ol' reliable Warfarin, huh?  There IS a class action suit for Eliquis now, btw.

Warfarin is hard to use and manage for many people. My mom tried it for several weeks or months and never could get n an appropriate effective dose. And people bleed to death on warfarin and are hospitalized for warfarin overdose all the time, even when it's followed closely and has an antidote. There would be warfarin lawsuits today too if it was still a brand name drug and one company made all the money off it.

Plavix has no antidote, still widely used in vascular disease.

Not saying I agree with the commercial for it, whole different issue, but there are good reasons why it's nice to have options other than Coumadin.

• Love 2

Why is there a drag king lip-syncing old songs for Pepsi, and for that matter, if it's taking place within a structure shaped like the Pepsi logo, why are there only two chambers?

There is/was a longer version of the ad with a second transition to a new chamber. I've only seen the shorter ad lately.

• Love 2

I think the commercial that runs for Hong Kong tourism at the beginning of BBC News on PBS has reached new heights of truth in advertising. Just before the spokesperson starts talking, the background music starts in with these lyrics:

Tell me sweet little lies...

So basically, they're saying that their spokesperson is a liar?

• Love 3

Just saw a commercial for quilted Northern toilet paper that I do not understand. It features a bathroom and a toy (I forget, police officer?) under the radiator. The voice over says something like new Quilted Northern works so well you can forget your bathroom experience, unlike Officer Bob. At least he's not Constable Hank (on the toilet behind the seat). OK, the action figure thing is funny. But what's up with the "forget your bathroom experience"? Are people having bathroom PTSD? And how does toilet paper help?

• Love 2

Just saw a commercial for quilted Northern toilet paper that I do not understand. It features a bathroom and a toy (I forget, police officer?) under the radiator. The voice over says something like new Quilted Northern works so well you can forget your bathroom experience, unlike Officer Bob. At least he's not Constable Hank (on the toilet behind the seat). OK, the action figure thing is funny. But what's up with the "forget your bathroom experience"? Are people having bathroom PTSD? And how does toilet paper help?

Would you want to be forced to watch people use the toilet?

There's an ad for some 3rd world children's charity with a line I find bemusing. "Little Rosario has to apply poisonous pesticide to the sugar cane plants with her bare hands!". Isn't pesticide poisonous by definition?

• Love 1

There's an ad for some 3rd world children's charity with a line I find bemusing. "Little Rosario has to apply poisonous pesticide to the sugar cane plants with her bare hands!". Isn't pesticide poisonous by definition?

You could loosely apply the term "pesticide" to beer if you're trying to get rid of snails but it's not that poisonous to other critters. There are probably other things like diatomaceous earth that fall into that category, also for snails. I'll bet there are more substances that are safe for humans to handle or consume that would give pests a really bad day.

Still, making children apply actual poison to plants barehanded is heinous. The palms of the hands are a prime site for absorbing foreign substances.

• Love 2

Did no one notice that the Texas logo is next to a huge black eye that flashes past so fast it is almost a subliminal message?

Are you talking about the pictures of people's eyes?  I don't think those are black eyes.  It looks like makeup to me.  It's iridescent green.

I love the Quilted Northern commercials. First of all, because they are so twisted and dark and funny. But second of all, because they're right! Toilet paper manufacturers spend millions of dollars every year trying to make us wallow in the bathroom experience ("Enjoy the go..." Ewwww!) Northern has it right. You want to get in and get out and not think about it anymore.

I've switched brands to Northern in support of this ad campaign!

• Love 4

You could loosely apply the term "pesticide" to beer if you're trying to get rid of snails but it's not that poisonous to other critters. There are probably other things like diatomaceous earth that fall into that category, also for snails. I'll bet there are more substances that are safe for humans to handle or consume that would give pests a really bad day.

So, the ad is a ploy to get more money by letting viewers infer that "Little Rosario" is being put in danger without actually saying so?

• Love 2

IMO, yes. It's like those ads for UNICEF and such where they talk about starving children, usually with a celebrity spokesperson looking very serious about the matter, but it just leaves me thinking that if they didn't hire a famous person for the ad, they would have more money to actually help the starving children.

• Love 6

Even though this is a political ad, I'm not making any political statement.  I think it earns a spot on this headscratcher page because Kevin never blinks. It's a 60-second spot, and the man never blinks. He looks down at something a few times, but that's it. Too bad he wasted all of his money, because he's going to need a prescription for Restasis, no doubt.  (And he already can't afford a decent shirt...or an iron.)

• Love 1

I think the product is Dentastix. The woman is doing sit-ups, and after a few up and downs and silly grins, we see that she's kissing the dog on each up. It's kind of icky.

• Love 1

So, the ad is a ploy to get more money by letting viewers infer that "Little Rosario" is being put in danger without actually saying so?

Yeah, the narrator also frets about "Little Pablo" using a "dangerous machete" to cut the sugar cane. I'm a believer in keeping big sharp things way from kids, but the footage isn't like SLop nearly cutting her fingertips off while trying to chop parsley.

• Love 2

The Metro PCS commercial where the guy wearing a plaid shirt does some kind of weird robot dance, and everyone is fascinated.

They don't still DANCE like that, do they??

So people still dance anymore? I thought it was all twerking, and dry humping and jumping up and down anymore. Now if you'll excuse me, there are some kids on my lawn.

• Love 13

The Metro PCS commercial where the guy wearing a plaid shirt does some kind of weird robot dance, and everyone is fascinated.

They don't still DANCE like that, do they??

Ha!

I took a cruise to the Panama Canal a couple years ago and while in Cartagia, Columbia, saw a crowd of locals gathered around some kids who were break-dancing. It seemed like something new to them.

• Love 2

Why is there a drag king lip-syncing old songs for Pepsi, and for that matter, if it's taking place within a structure shaped like the Pepsi logo, why are there only two chambers?

There is/was a longer version of the ad with a second transition to a new chamber. I've only seen the shorter ad lately.

The dancer/singer is Janelle Monae.  It is her version of "Joy of Pepsi" we hear in the last bit.

I just randomly caught the "PULL THAT PEACH!" ad, and I have a question. Why the hell does she look so mad when she tells the guy on the ladder to pick the stupid peach? It's an annoying enough commercial without wondering why she looks so pissed off.

• Love 4

Your kitchen is stocked with appliances that cost two/three thousand dollars each. What the hell do you consider "too pricey"?

I was just coming here to bitch about that commercial. They have an easily $80,000 kitchen and the lazy ass wife wants to go out to eat? At some place cheap? Douche. Lucky for her, her hubby knows how to cook.
  • Love 3

I was just coming here to bitch about that commercial. They have an easily $80,000 kitchen and the lazy ass wife wants to go out to eat? At some place cheap? Douche. Lucky for her, her hubby knows how to cook.

I told my dh that I wanted that kitchen, he said  "why ? you hate to cook" I said because it's pretty.  ;-p

• Love 3

I don't get why Cricket Wireless uses animated candy for their commercials.  Whenever it is on, I have a sudden craving for Chiclets.

Wow is THAT what they are?  I just thought the artists/animators were lazy.

• Love 1

It's a street-legal golf cart.

I've heard that an uncle used to drive a small foreign car, not unlike the Smart, many years ago, that the family referred to as a "coffin on wheels".

An Isetta, by any chance?  I remember those from the mid-fifties - they made quite an impression on suburban KC dwellers!

I always hear the original opening lyrics when this ad airs. Which makes an ad featuring kids unintentionally strange.

Can  I say how disappointed in the Tom Tom Club I am for allowing this to happen?  When I first heard the music on the commercial I was WTF?  How are they going to make those lyrics kid friendly?  

I'm with you - my mind overlays the original lyrics which in no way I would want my kids to aspire to.

I keep seeing the VW ads where they are emphasizing the 7 safety aspects (or whatever) to the people shopping at one of their dealerships.  Given the emissions testing problem, I'm thinking it is a bad idea to emphasize numbers.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 1

I just started seeing a Sonic ad about their creamy shakes or something. He's the doofus is the expert on shakes. What is causing me to scratch my head, is when the image of the shakes are being shown, what looks like vanilla is getting sprinkled with what looks like pepper. I....don't understand. Unless that's supposed to be vanilla specks? for the shake. Either way, it looks super gross.

Shockingly, I found it!

• Love 1

So is the use of "We are the Champions" supposed to be ironic? Does all of this take place as they are watching the eventual champions celebrate?

Because none of those guys have won a title as a pro.

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 2