Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

On 7/24/2023 at 2:51 PM, millennium said:

Commercial for Boost:

"Age is just a number -- and mine's unlisted."

So her age is ... a phone number?

Regarding the bolded, she tries to act all coy and coquettish and my reaction is, "who gives a shit"?

• Like 5
  • LOL 4

yeah in this day and age, where even whitepages.com knows how old you are, and facebook knows what year you graduated from college, what would be the point of trying to hide your age?

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
13 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Christmas in July has been around since I was a kid. I'm 50 and I think the sales started in hobby shops. 

I'm 72 and I don't remember any Christmas in July until it started to annoy me. 😄

• Like 5
  • Fire 1
  • LOL 3
On 7/28/2023 at 6:11 PM, xls said:

I cant stand this chick! Cant even understand what she is saying, sounds like she has a mouth full of marbles! ugh!!!! go away!

What the hell is the girl in the tight blue and white dress saying? "It gets stuck in your mind and the only way to get it out is to [dramatic sting]!". A friend who saw a shorter version didn't understand why she was suddenly lusting after a random dude she saw pulling a phone out of his pocket and then telling her friends to scram. 

4 hours ago, Gharlane said:

What the hell is the girl in the tight blue and white dress saying? "It gets stuck in your mind and the only way to get it out is to [dramatic sting]!". A friend who saw a shorter version didn't understand why she was suddenly lusting after a random dude she saw pulling a phone out of his pocket and then telling her friends to scram. 

She "...train[ed] professionally at the New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts, graduating in 2015, and becoming the school's youngest student ever."

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm4768856/

On 8/1/2023 at 7:01 AM, Gharlane said:

I saw the longer version and didn't understand it.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1

You know the movie/tv scene where someone on a health kick blends up a gross looking green drink and tries to force the spouse/best friend to try it?  It's supposed to be funny but by now it's such a tired trope, it's generally just boring.

Whoever makes the AG1 health drink has made a commercial with someone in their kitchen making an equally unappetizing drink, but this time not for laughs but in all seriousness.  The only (presumably unintentional) funny thing about it is that they mention "functional" mushrooms, because the only function I can think of a mushroom having is taking you on a trip, and not the kind of trip when it's mum or dad driving.

And calling it Athletic Greens just makes me think of another two word phrase that starts with Athletic.

• LOL 6
6 hours ago, Leeds said:

You know the movie/tv scene where someone on a health kick blends up a gross looking green drink and tries to force the spouse/best friend to try it?  It's supposed to be funny but by now it's such a tired trope, it's generally just boring.

Whoever makes the AG1 health drink has made a commercial with someone in their kitchen making an equally unappetizing drink, but this time not for laughs but in all seriousness.  The only (presumably unintentional) funny thing about it is that they mention "functional" mushrooms, because the only function I can think of a mushroom having is taking you on a trip, and not the kind of trip when it's mum or dad driving.

And calling it Athletic Greens just makes me think of another two word phrase that starts with Athletic.

Hoda and Jenna mixed it up one day on their show.  Jenna liked it for its nutrients but it was pretty clear it tasted terrible.  Functional mushrooms?  The only other function I can think of is breaking down dead things.

• Like 4

This isn't about any commercial in particular. Other than commercials that feature people who are known for one reason or another, the majority of actors in commercials look like anyone you could meet in the general population. Do these people make enough money from the commercials to pay the bills, or do they have day jobs and this is a side gig that gives them extra cash?

3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

This isn't about any commercial in particular. Other than commercials that feature people who are known for one reason or another, the majority of actors in commercials look like anyone you could meet in the general population. Do these people make enough money from the commercials to pay the bills, or do they have day jobs and this is a side gig that gives them extra cash?

A lot of the recurring characters, like Flo or Mr. Whipple, make damn fine money. The guy that played Mr. Whipple (Dont' squeeze the Charmin) said he built his dream house and called it the TeePee.

• Like 3
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

For the most part they are all working actors.  They may appear in the occasional play, film or TV show.  Commercials are a good way to get your face in front of a lot of people who might hire you for a real job in the future.  Also a good way to get points to get into the union.

It's hard enough to get acting jobs, even commercials, that most working actors have other jobs to pay the rent.  Most of them would prefer not to.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I'm guessing the strike prevents actors from performing in commercials too, right?  Not just tv and movies?  It has to be a financial burden on these folks who don't make a lot from commercials anyway. ☹️

• Useful 2

I get why TV and movie actors would do a commercial for the most part but some are just WTF.   I had previously mentioned Ben Affleck doing one for Dunkin Donuts (apparently he really like Dunkin and did it as a lark).   The one currently running I don't get is Jordana Brewster doing a commercial....The General insurance of all things.  She's filming a car chase and is worried her car insurance is late.  But don't fear, Shaq tells her The General lets her change her due date, which is great because she's climbing on a rope ladder being hauled off by a helicopter so it'll be a while before she can pay it.  Like, really?  You have Fast and Furious money so do you really need to do a commercial.  And if you're are going to do commercials you pick the low rent insurance company that mainly advertises during afternoon court shows.  And agree to do a lame riff on the franchise that made you famous?   I can't believe doing a The General commercial makes you more attractive when someone is casting a major film. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'm guessing the strike prevents actors from performing in commercials too, right? 

No, that work is covered under a separate contract than the one they're striking over, so they're able to act in commercials if they want.  (Same with game shows, soap operas, and a few other things.)

• Useful 6
On 8/3/2023 at 11:03 AM, mmecorday said:

In the commercial for Neutrogena Hydro Boost, the folks using the product do not have a "glow." They look waxy.  

Hi, I'm looking for a cream that will make me look like a reanimated corpse.  Do you have something? 

Have you tried Hydro Boost?  We can achieve that look! 

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
On 8/3/2023 at 11:16 AM, chessiegal said:

I tell myself that actors who I admire do commercials in order to have more money to donate to the endless good causes they're asked to or choose to support.  For example, I don't mind George Clooney selling whatever coffee that is because he's known to be a generous donor and the ads are innocuous.  I lose respect for actors who make themselves look stupid or who endorse shady stuff or are selfish bastards running through fortunes on gold bathroom fixtures. 

• Like 3
On 8/3/2023 at 11:16 AM, chessiegal said:

Quite a few well-known actors started in commercials in order to pay the bills and get their faces out there.  

https://bestlifeonline.com/celebrities-old-commercials/

Courtney Cox kills this Tampax ad:

Here's Not Your Regular Stanley Tucci.

And did you know Bryan Cranston had piles?

• Like 6
  • Useful 1

every year we go to Hudson Valley Shakespeare and there are lots of actors there with long bios but performed in small (as in this) venues. One actress we saw this year in Henry V is in this current ad for Crest White Strips. I imagine it's pretty tough to put together an income to live on, whether in commercials or in off-off-off Broadway.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 8/4/2023 at 4:14 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

Hasn't seemed to hurt Shaq.

What could possibly hurt his chances with movie casting agents more than the movies he's already starred in? Kazaam, anyone?

• Like 1
  • LOL 5
On 8/4/2023 at 11:22 AM, Maverick said:

I get why TV and movie actors would do a commercial for the most part but some are just WTF.   I had previously mentioned Ben Affleck doing one for Dunkin Donuts (apparently he really like Dunkin and did it as a lark).   The one currently running I don't get is Jordana Brewster doing a commercial....The General insurance of all things.  

I had no idea she was a famous actress!

• Like 1
On 8/2/2023 at 8:21 PM, Leeds said:
On 8/1/2023 at 7:01 AM, Gharlane said:

I saw the longer version and didn't understand it.

"The only way to stop it is to switch."

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Don't know if this ad's been discussed already, just saw it on TV here:

"Subway's now slicing their meats fresh."

As opposed to...? 

Having them arrive at Subway already sliced. I've seen them open packets of already sliced meat to make a sandwich.

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
13 hours ago, DXD526 said:

Yes, Subway always used pre-sliced meats (of questionable makeup). Actually putting slicers in all the stores is a big deal. I'm sure all the franchisees hate it 😁

They are trying to compete with Jersey Mike's who uses the fact that they slice the meat and cheese in front of you as a selling point over the other sandwich franchises.

• Like 5
  • Useful 1

There's this weird commercial back in play for an online credit or loan service that makes no sense. It begins with a young man sharing an apartment with several people and how they want to improve their credit score. The man leave and the narrator tells us about them improving their credit score, but why don't we see the others? Are they saying dieing improved it? 🤔

2 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

They are trying to compete with Jersey Mike's who uses the fact that they slice the meat and cheese in front of you as a selling point over the other sandwich franchises.

Yeah, but Frank Reynolds loiters at Jersey Mikes practically drooling over the sandwich meat! 

• LOL 3
3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

There's this weird commercial back in play for an online credit or loan service that makes no sense. It begins with a young man sharing an apartment with several people and how they want to improve their credit score. The man leave and the narrator tells us about them improving their credit score, but why don't we see the others? Are they saying dieing improved it? 🤔

Yeah, but Frank Reynolds loiters at Jersey Mikes practically drooling over the sandwich meat! 

He loves the juice! I love it too, Frank!

• Like 1
On 8/8/2023 at 9:00 AM, Gharlane said:

The commercial features a non-binary character named Morgan who uses they/them pronouns.  The story being relayed is solely about Morgan.  Morgan lives with many roommates and doesn't like it.  Morgan chooses to focus on improving their credit, so they move in with their parents.  At the end, Morgan can now afford a new place where their only roommate is  roomba.  The narrator is using them/them to refer to Morgan, as should we all. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 4
  • LOL 1

The new Golden Corral commercial with the Latino grandparents and their grandchildren  (I can't find it online).

The grandfather is telling his grandchildren how he didn't have Golden Corral's new menu items (the Garlic Parmesan chicken or whatever) when he was a kid.   And then in what seems like a total non-sequitur, the grandmother says "And he had to walk uphill both ways."  And the grandfather says,  "And it was snowing."

Huh?  Either grandma didn't take her Prevagen, or the part where she should have said, "He had to walk to school every day, and it was uphill both ways"  wound up on the cutting room floor.   If you're not familiar with the old cliche and you come upon this spot cold,  the grandparents must sound loco.

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
5 minutes ago, millennium said:

If you're not familiar with the old cliche and you come upon this spot cold,  the grandparents must sound loco.

It's funny, I've seen that ad many times, and never noticed the non-sequitur, probably because I just mentally inserted it since it's such a cliche! I'll have to pay more attention next time it's on :) 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, millennium said:

The grandfather is telling his grandchildren how he didn't have Golden Corral's new menu items (the Garlic Parmesan chicken or whatever) when he was a kid.   And then in what seems like a total non-sequitur, the grandmother says "And he had to walk uphill both ways."  And the grandfather says,  "And it was snowing."

Huh?  Either grandma didn't take her Prevagen, or the part where she should have said, "He had to walk to school every day, and it was uphill both ways"  wound up on the cutting room floor.   If you're not familiar with the old cliche and you come upon this spot cold,  the grandparents must sound loco.

Haha, I haven't seen that commercial, but among folks I know, "uphill both ways" is definitely shorthand for "shut up, whippersnapper, you don't know how easy you have it" (or "shut up dad, we 'know' how 'hard' you had it").  Someone else will probably chip in "in the snow!"

But obviously that phrase isn't as well known as I (or the ad makers) thought!  For the record, I'm in the Mid-Atlantic/Appalachian/Southern US.

• Like 5