Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I've been seeing this commercial for some brand of taco shells which features people slamming their hands against tables with so much force that it causes things to "jump" off the table. Who the hell slams the table while they're eating or watching TV? 🤔

• Mind Blown 1

Just saw this ad on TV earlier...so, if I were thinking of songs to help advertise my cruise ship line, I'm not sure Culture Club's "Karma Chameleon" would be my pick. I like that song, but what a weird choice. 

Given the fact that illnesses spread like wild fire on cruise ships, every day is like survival while you're onboard. 

• Like 4
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I've been seeing this commercial for some brand of taco shells which features people slamming their hands against tables with so much force that it causes things to "jump" off the table. Who the hell slams the table while they're eating or watching TV? 🤔

Aemond Targaryen?

• LOL 1
On 2/3/2023 at 2:06 PM, Gramto6 said:

Sounds like you do in order to receive "full" benefits. I take that to mean you get a partial payment if you die under the 2 year period. I never noticed that caveat before...  

That's not unusual.  I think most Life Insurance policies work that way, otherwise everyone getting a bad medical prognosis would be buying million dollar policies. You'd pay next to nothing and your family gets a million.

• Like 2

I'm in a professional association that has partnered with one of the big insurance companies to offer term life insurance. I had it for some years when I would have needed it. You sign up and die the next day - it pays.

• Useful 3
13 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Me, if I'm watching hockey.  Usually scares the bejabbers out of the cat.

• Sad 2
  • LOL 4
13 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Me, if I'm watching hockey.  Usually scares the bejabbers out of the cat.

That's me during Arsenal matches.  My cats have decided that if they see little men running around my tv screen, they should avoid my lap.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
On 2/9/2023 at 4:52 PM, chessiegal said:

I'm in a professional association that has partnered with one of the big insurance companies to offer term life insurance. I had it for some years when I would have needed it. You sign up and die the next day - it pays.

I think there might be a difference between how this is handle with group life insurance and personal life insurance.  With group insurance the risk is spread out through the group,, unlike personal insurance.  But I'm not an insurance agent, I just play one on TV.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Like 1

The Turbo Tax commercial that encourages people to have Turbo Tax do their taxes for them so they can concentrate on doing what they love. 

1) Isn't Turbo Tax a program you buy to assist you in completing your own taxes?  Or is there a version where someone does the entire return for you.  If so, is it cheaper than going to a traditional accountant?

2) The guy who apparently is having Turbo Tax do his taxes runs a Fern store.  A store that ONLY sells ferns.  Yeah, that's believable.  Why not a full blown florist instead of something so specific?  Or is it supposed to be part of the joke that Turbo Tax is so great that it allows someone to succeed with a business that doesn't seem like it has a very good business model?

• Useful 2
2 hours ago, blackwing said:

The guy who apparently is having Turbo Tax do his taxes runs a Fern store.  A store that ONLY sells ferns.  Yeah, that's believable.  Why not a full blown florist instead of something so specific?  Or is it supposed to be part of the joke that Turbo Tax is so great that it allows someone to succeed with a business that doesn't seem like it has a very good business model?

The first time I saw that commercial, I thought it was a commercial about a serial killer.

• LOL 4

I found that Turbo Tax doesn't do my taxes any faster than I could myself - the time you spend answering "no" to questions that don't apply is far too much.

But... I don't withdraw that much out of my IRA each year, and I live mostly on Social Security, so I don't even have to FILE a tax return anymore. There are some advantages to being poor.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, blackwing said:

1) Isn't Turbo Tax a program you buy to assist you in completing your own taxes?  Or is there a version where someone does the entire return for you.  If so, is it cheaper than going to a traditional accountant?

Yes, yes (it's new), and probably.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1

I've been seeing this Comcast commercial that takes place on the moon with a pair of astronaughts who land, only to discover some young adults already there. Said youngsters tell him about Comcast's new high speed internet service and an alien craft lands nearby. One astronaught asks who that is and a kid answers, "one of the bad guys", to which he asks, "Is it friendly?", followed by the other astronaught being zapped by a laser ray from the ship. Why is he asking that after being told it's a "bad guy"? Did someone speak their lines out of order and they just left it? 🤔

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Gharlane said:

I've been seeing this Comcast commercial that takes place on the moon with a pair of astronaughts who land, only to discover some young adults already there. Said youngsters tell him about Comcast's new high speed internet service and an alien craft lands nearby. One astronaught asks who that is and a kid answers, "one of the bad guys", to which he asks, "Is it friendly?", followed by the other astronaught being zapped by a laser ray from the ship. Why is he asking that after being told it's a "bad guy"? Did someone speak their lines out of order and they just left it? 🤔

I don't know but I hate that commercial.

• LOL 1
5 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Was it Billie Eilish?  To quote her song, she's a "bad guy. Duh!" 

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Why is this woman carrying a gallon bottle of cranberry juice around and drinking from it?

We've been trying to figure that out in another thread.  Best guess so far is a raging UTI. 🙂

• LOL 8
15 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

WTF did I just see/hear?  A woman whinnying and then trying to sell some natural deodorant while dressed up like a centaur??  Whose idea was this?  Can we have them committed?

She's a scent-aur. Which you might think is still dumb, but that seems to be the logic.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 2

What’s with all these people who wash their clothes but can’t get them to smell good.

one woman says no matter how much she washes her family’s clothes they still smell bad. Until she uses Downey new prewash. Then there’s the woman who’s boy band poster has to tell her to use Downey to get her tshirt smelling good.

and don’t get me started about the Gain ads. 

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Pepper the Cat said:

What’s with all these people who wash their clothes but can’t get them to smell good.

one woman says no matter how much she washes her family’s clothes they still smell bad. Until she uses Downey new prewash. Then there’s the woman who’s boy band poster has to tell her to use Downey to get her tshirt smelling good.

The laundry products manufacturers have invented a new problem to be solved with one of their new products.

They fail to realize that the actual laundry detergent they sell seems to be a failure if it can't make the laundry smell fresh and fragrant on it's own.

And then there's the whole fragrace-free, dye- and other additives-free market!

• Like 5

I guess according to the ads, I need to first use a Downey prewash. Then put scented beads in the washer, then use a special fabric softener. 
of course, I have an enormous laundry room where I can store a multitude of fabric softeners to use depending on what is going on in my home.

• Like 2
  • LOL 4

There's a new Taco Bell commercial where they are playing a song where the singer is counting and talking about going to the dance floor and things like that.  That's fine, but in one version of the ad, they say (as young people are shown jumping around eating the food), "Five, six, seven, eight:  pray the Lord my soul to take."  I know fast food isn't the healthiest thing, but I didn't realize that it was so risky that you have to worry about immediate death in most circumstances!  Not the best way to promote the meal box they're advertising.  (They should stick with the shorter version that doesn't have that line.)

• LOL 9
10 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

That one I totally get.  I personally know a few people (including me)  who react to some of the scents, dyes, and/or additives.  Plus, I want something that does NOT have those awful scents.  

They have to see the growth of products like Seventh Generation.

• Like 6
19 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

I have hard water, so it almost takes witchcraft for the towels not to smell terrible. And no, just the baking soda and vinegar method works for me.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
17 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

The laundry products manufacturers have invented a new problem to be solved with one of their new products.

They fail to realize that the actual laundry detergent they sell seems to be a failure if it can't make the laundry smell fresh and fragrant on it's own.

Johnson & Johnson simultaneously was the world's largest purveyor of baby products and birth control pills. Gotta get 'em coming and going.

• LOL 5
19 hours ago, CrystalBlue said:

Yes, please, on fragrance free.  I don't want my clothes smelling like anything.  (I don't care if detergent is lightly scented, since that will wash out, but I hate scented dryer sheets.)

• Like 4
21 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

It's a combination of product overload plus people not maintaining their washers.  Most Americans use way too much detergent, fabric softener, scent beads, and dryer sheets.  Those products leave a film on clothes over time resulting in still dirty and smelly clothes coming out of the dryer.  They also leave residue in your washer that needs to be cleaned on a regular basis.  If you are finding your clothes are coming out of the dryer smelling bad, you are better off throwing them back in the washer without any detergent or fabric softener or scent beads or whatever new product Downy is selling.  Just water and the machine's agitation will go to work breaking down that build up.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Most Americans use way too much detergent,

I learned that when I first moved into this house, which was plumbed before modern washing machines existed, so the washer drained not directly into the pipes, but into a utility sink next to it -- meaning I could see the water being drained.  I was shocked to see how soapy my rinse cycle water was.  I reduced the amount of detergent the next time, and the rinse cycle water looked clear when it drained.  I've long since re-plumbed everything, but I'm glad it was set up that way at first, as otherwise I would not have known I had been using too much detergent my entire adult life.

As I said above, I don't want my clothes to emerge from the laundry cycle smelling like any fragrance, so none of these "smells great!" commercials do anything for me, but whatever floats someone's boat.  But the Gain ones are just plain obnoxious.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
On 2/24/2023 at 7:09 PM, CrystalBlue said:

For those of us with sensitive skin, these products are a godsend.  But they do sort of put to the lie the advertising for the scented products being so necessary to keep your laundry from smelling bad.

On 2/25/2023 at 6:02 PM, Bastet said:

But the Gain ones are just plain obnoxious.

Oh god, they are!

• Like 4

Saw an ad for the Nuzzle Pillow (the NASA inspired pillow- yeah sure), where they claim the pillow normally sells for $100, but buy now and its only $50.  It's a pillow for God's sake! It shouldn't even cost $50- even if NASA sent everyone of them to the moon and back.

• LOL 8
2 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Saw an ad for the Nuzzle Pillow (the NASA inspired pillow- yeah sure), where they claim the pillow normally sells for $100, but buy now and its only $50.  It's a pillow for God's sake! It shouldn't even cost $50- even if NASA sent everyone of them to the moon and back.

I have a pillow that cost over $100 and I worked my way up to that cost as I have neck issues from my bad back & I tried pillows from $5 all the way up and the one I have now will need to be dragged from my cold dead hands. My wife on the other hand is more than happy with her $20 pillow.

It's a Pluto pillow if anyone is interested & they were very helpful with finding the right pillow that worked for me.

• Like 1
  • Useful 6
8 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

I have a pillow that cost over $100 and I worked my way up to that cost as I have neck issues from my bad back & I tried pillows from $5 all the way up and the one I have now will need to be dragged from my cold dead hands. My wife on the other hand is more than happy with her $20 pillow.

It's a Pluto pillow if anyone is interested & they were very helpful with finding the right pillow that worked for me.

Sorry to hear about your neck and back issues.  Is your pillow a special "medical grade" pillow? Hopefully it's not a Mike Lindell (although I understand God endorses them).

• Like 1
  • LOL 6
3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Sorry to hear about your neck and back issues.  Is your pillow a special "medical grade" pillow? Hopefully it's not a Mike Lindell (although I understand God endorses them).

It is neither medical grade (AFAIK) and it is certainly not a Mike Lindell pillow (not a chance). Pluto Pillow is the name of the company & they give you 100 days or so to try it and if it's not for you then you can get a full refund. There was a 4 week waiting list when I got mine & while it wasn't perfect for me straight away they worked with me to get everything just right & now I would struggle without it. For me the $100 or so it cost was worth every cent & more.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

Is it used by NASA astronauts, like that pen?

• LOL 3
On 2/25/2023 at 2:27 PM, Ohiopirate02 said:

If you are finding your clothes are coming out of the dryer smelling bad, you are better off throwing them back in the washer without any detergent or fabric softener or scent beads or whatever new product Downy is selling.  Just water and the machine's agitation will go to work breaking down that build up.  

My newish washer has a 'tub clean' function- you put a little bleach into the detergent cup and let it rip. My husband (who's actually well-groomed) produces the most horribly stinky work and work-out clothes, which seems to stick to the washer somehow, so I use the tub clean almost weekly.

Putting scent on stink is never going to be effective.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
20 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

It is neither medical grade (AFAIK) and it is certainly not a Mike Lindell pillow (not a chance). Pluto Pillow is the name of the company & they give you 100 days or so to try it and if it's not for you then you can get a full refund. There was a 4 week waiting list when I got mine & while it wasn't perfect for me straight away they worked with me to get everything just right & now I would struggle without it. For me the $100 or so it cost was worth every cent & more.

Obviously one expects to pay more for such personalized service.  Nuzzle, as far as I know, doesn't do this.  Which leaves me thinking how much does the materials that go into the Nuzzle pillow cost, compared to the $100 retail price.  Are they stuffing them with angel's wings.

19 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Is it used by NASA astronauts, like that pen?

I grew up a block from the Space Pen's manufacturing location. It was a popular place for us to go garbage-picking.  Besides tons of refills, I got a lot of therir marketing materials, including plastic rocketships and a pocket telescope/microscope (which I still own).

For the pillow, it uses some space-age fabric as a covering.

• Like 1
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1