Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

13 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

ZocDoc - guy dancing around a laundromat, voice over says he hasn't been to a doctor since 2001. That's 21 years ago! He looks like he's in his 30s. So, the last doctor he saw was a pediatrician. 🤷‍♂️

Makes sense. He hasn't gone to the doctor since he left for college (which would have been 21 years ago if he's 39).

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, janie jones said:

I mean, the math makes sense, not that the guy is sensible about his healthcare.

When I was that age, I never went to the doctor unless I was sick. But being a woman I had to have an annual gyno check in order to get my BC pills. Otherwise, I wouldn't have gone either.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I think between about 17 and 40 I never went to the doctors except for a set of jabs when I went to Kenya for my honeymoon and the only other time I saw one was in the ER after I had done something stupid. Then I had a heart attack at 43 and haven't gone 6 months without seeing one.

• Hugs 1
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

ZocDoc - guy dancing around a laundromat, voice over says he hasn't been to a doctor since 2001. That's 21 years ago! He looks like he's in his 30s. So, the last doctor he saw was a pediatrician. 🤷‍♂️

Because men typically put off medical care...

image.png.f5b078f318c3c74d1f6f53fc26a6b88c.png

• Like 1
  • LOL 12

Pedialyte ad where the guy has been sick all night and is sitting on the floor drinking the stuff.  Kid comes in and says "Hey, that's mine!". 

If I remember correctly any Pedialyte out there tastes like cooking oil with Koolaid in it. No kid I know would drink it and enjoy it. 

• Applause 2
  • Love 3
58 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, but he says he'll get her a pony in exchange, so it's worth it if she can trade Pedialyte for a pony.   

I think it's more of a gift that a lover would give than a friend or relative so they probably know what you like.

• Mind Blown 1
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Yes, but he says he'll get her a pony in exchange, so it's worth it if she can trade Pedialyte for a pony.   

I think it's more of a gift that a lover would give than a friend or relative so they probably know what you like.

What? 🤔

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • LOL 1

I keep hearing a commercial on the radio (that counts, right?) for a men's shaver where they say it's for shaving here (buzzzzz) and here (buzzzz) and under here (buzzzzz), and all I can think is eww.

• Like 4

Whenever I see that commercial in which the father thinks his son got him a new car because a ribbon fell off the house and onto it, I think of more questions. Why is the son going along with it instead of correcting him? Why does the father not recognize his son's car? Doesn't he wonder why there's a lot more milage on it than a new car? And so on.

• Like 5

I just saw an ad for something called “Home aglow” (?) that says they will clean my whole home for $19 (or maybe $19.99). I have to wonder if this falls into the category of “you get what you pay for” or possibly “if it sounds too good to be true…”. Maybe it’s some kind of introductory offer but I’m still suspicious. 

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1
59 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

I just saw an ad for something called “Home aglow” (?) that says they will clean my whole home for $19 (or maybe $19.99). I have to wonder if this falls into the category of “you get what you pay for” or possibly “if it sounds too good to be true…”. Maybe it’s some kind of introductory offer but I’m still suspicious. 

I saw that too! When they listed all the things they'd clean for $19, I thought not even if they charged $19/hour. I've had cleaning services for over 30 years. Never had anything that cheap. Right now I'm paying $130 every 2 weeks to clean our downstairs which is about 1,400 sq. feet.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Like 2
On 12/25/2022 at 5:21 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I saw that too.  And was tempted, we need to find a housecleaner.  They seemed to get decent review on Yelp, FWIW.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, lh25 said:

I saw that too.  And was tempted, we need to find a housecleaner.  They seemed to get decent review on Yelp, FWIW.

How can they possibly make any money doing that though? Is the $19.99 fr one specific chore like washing tha dishes or doing a load of laundry? I can't see how it would work if they came in and cleaned your whole house.

• Like 3

I just saw an ad for Folgers coffee that touted that their coffee beans are roasted in "our home town of New Orleans."  No.  Folgers is historically from San Francisco.  And their headquarters building is a historical landmark.  And even if they're now owned by Smuckers, their headquarters is Orrville, Ohio.

• Useful 1
2 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Colonial Penn's Three Ps:

A PRICE you can afford

A PRICE that won't change

A PRICE that fits your budget

Am I particularly dense or are #s 1 and 3 pretty much the same thing?

Exactly!

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

It's also odd they'd call them 3 Ps when all three are "price".

isn't it more or less like the three things that matter in real estate? Location, location, location.

Edited by dleighg
  • Like 5
55 minutes ago, dleighg said:

isn't it more or less like the three things that matter in real estate? Location, location, location.

Not really the same thing, because they go on to explain that each P stands for something different. But 2 of the Ps are, in my mind, the same. A price you can afford and a price that fits your budget - how are they different? I guess one could say you budgeted $X for life insurance, but seems to me that's the price you can afford. Seems like they forced things to get to 3.

I have now given this way more thought than it deserves. 🙄

• Like 2
  • LOL 3

Yesterday, they kept playing Planet Fitness ads. This one in particular.

That part where one guy says,

Spoiler

"I can't even blow this guy."

My first reaction was, "Um...I beg your pardon?" I wonder if they'll go back and edit that in the future.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
23 minutes ago, InDueTime said:

Yesterday, they kept playing Planet Fitness ads. This one in particular.

My first reaction was, "Um...I beg your pardon?" I wonder if they'll go back and edit that in the future.

I doubt it, since she makes the comment about wieners.  They're going for innuendo.

• Like 1

Dominos Pizza has been playing commercials in which they announce they'll be using electric cars for their delivery service but why do the drivers in the commercial seem to be making cross-country drives? 

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
8 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Dominos Pizza has been playing commercials in which they announce they'll be using electric cars for their delivery service but why do the drivers in the commercial seem to be making cross-country drives? 

The only place that delivers to my house is Domino's. They have to drive through rural areas to get to me. ☺️

• Useful 1

It's pretty common in two different scenarios:

1) kid is particular about food and likes ketchup and won't eat marinara (and parent doesn't object to the ketchup substitution)

2) can't afford both tomato sauce and ketchup, and have more frequent uses for ketchup, so use ketchup in all tomato-based-sauce applications

• Like 3
  • Useful 2
On 1/6/2023 at 3:38 PM, peacheslatour said:

"When I was but a child, eating Heinz on spaghetti..." Seriously? Did anybody eat spaghetti with ketchup on it outside of Honey Boo Boo?

Sad but true: Mom used to make spaghetti sauce by browning some ground beef and adding ketchup. I'm not sure if that was a quick-meal idea or not.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
6 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

Sad but true: Mom used to make spaghetti sauce by browning some ground beef and adding ketchup. I'm not sure if that was a quick-meal idea or not.

At least there was some protein in that. But just straight ketchup? Eew.

• Like 3