Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

I've never been in anaphylaxis either, but my Mom used to have migraines and several times screwed up injecting herself with the Imitrex and ended up spraying it all over herself instead of injecting herself. But I don't think a talking injector would have helped here, either - lack of coordination due to extreme pain might just get worse with the damned thing trying to talk to you.

Having been a migraine sufferer for most of my life, I went through the Imitrex injection stage. I can never inject myself. I practiced and practiced with the empty injector and would pull it off every time. I had a friend who also had Migraines, I could let her do the injections, and I would sit with her when she used it, but could not do the injection. One time I asked my soon to be ex-husband and no matter how many times I told him not to jam it onto my leg, that you just put it against the leg, he jammed into my leg - hurt like hell, and I would never let him do it again. I suspect he was punishing me for my many misdeeds.

So for someone who has never used an injector to help anyone, it might be a good idea for a voice explain how to help.

• Love 3

There is a shampoo commercial (Dove I think?) that claims it nourishes your hair with "oxygen moisture."  Oxygen moisture?  Isn't that... water?

Yeah, I haven't had a chemistry class since college, so I assumed that meant hydrogen peroxide.  Science marches on!

You can see from my picture that I don't have the best hair.  I won't, however, be convinced to buy into the Oxygen Moisture System until I see a Dove Real Beauty commercial about it: "We took nine everyday women -- who are NOT!! actresses -- up into orbit.  We briefly subjected them to explosive decompression and the vacuum of space.  Then we asked them how they felt about their hair."

• Love 6

There is a shampoo commercial (Dove I think?) that claims it nourishes your hair with "oxygen moisture."  Oxygen moisture?  Isn't that... water?

I *just* bought Dove Men Care shampoo with oxygen moisture (because it was buy two get one free), and it has *caffeine* in it.  I guess to make your hairs stand straight up.

• Love 9

I *just* bought Dove Men Care shampoo with oxygen moisture (because it was buy two get one free), and it has *caffeine* in it.

Purportedly, the caffeine actually prevents (or perhaps just delays/decreases?) hair loss in those genetically predisposed to it. Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 1

I remember discussing that commercial somewhere around these parts when it came out.  Like you said, they have to know what it's really saying.  Because there is no way this passed through the number of hands a national spot will go through without a single person pointing out the message was the exact opposite of what they were trying to portray. 

They show him saying, "I'm never [doing something]" and immediately follow that by showing him doing that thing he said he'd never do.  This happens with five different scenarios.  It will then readily follow that, like the five before it, the sixth and final "I'm never" declaration will turn out to be something he does, in fact, do. 

Yup, that was me back in January:

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/2776-say-what-commercials-that-made-us-scratch-our-heads/page-24#entry760814

• Love 2

Thin Oreos?   The Hell?  If you're gonna eat an Oreo, eat a damn Oreo.

Seriously. I've been trying to figure out who is the target market for those. For when Oreos are used mainly for decoration??

• Love 3

I got together with a friend over the weekend, and we were watching some TV Saturday night and ended up snarking on the commercials.  She said "I can't believe those Angel Soft commercials, the babies with angel wings - why are they using dead babies to sell toilet paper???"

I think I'm in love...

Edited by Moose135
  • Love 6

I got together with a friend over the weekend, and we were watching some TV Saturday night and ended up snarking on the commercials.  She said "I can't believe those Angel Soft commercials, the babies with angel wings - why are they using dead babies to sell toilet paper???"

Those are not "dead babies" those are babies that haven't been born yet.

• Love 1

Why does Lipton think that "ti-hiney bubbles" will make me want to buy their dogawful beverage? I'm not putting anything in my mouth involving any kind of "hiney bubbles."

Every time I see that commercial all I hear is " tiny buttholes" which is my brother's version of the song, so the commercial isn't too appetizing for me.

• Love 8

I have an acquaintance who suggested I go to AA meetings to meet men. I'm not an alcoholic.

Because there's nothing more attractive than guys who have hit rock bottom...

It's liquid oxygen, obviously. You just have to keep the shampoo in a Dewar flask and be careful not to shatter your head when you apply it.

I'm pretty sure those are supposed to be cherubs. Or at least the cutesy Renaissance version of cherubs. I guess the biblical four-headed flaming monster version wasn't the image they were looking for.

• Love 5

Not that there's anything wrong with that. :)

I guess there's something to be said for meeting men when they are at their most honest and vulnerable.

Because there's nothing more attractive than guys who have hit rock bottom...

I usually attract the rock-bottomers anyway; they just won't get any kind of help. Are you 48 and living with your parents? Working only part time so you can "be devoted to your music"? Date bilgistic! She'll rescue you!
  • Love 12

It's funny, but the day, or the day after, the Colorama commercial was brought up here I got an Email from a crafts store I've bought craft kits from advertising coloring books for adults (which is not to mean adult-rated coloring books).

When I was a kid, I traveled around the (mainland) US on behalf of a children's health charity (not MDA/"Jerry's Kids"). I used to get similar (abstract designs-type) coloring books at a local bookstore & bring them along with me to alleviate boredom in the different cities between events/to have something to do on the longer plane flights between cities. I used to color mine with marker pens, the biggest fine point set I could find. I also did those big posters in the cardboard tubes (I wish I could remember what the product was actually called).

Now that I'm stuck in bed due to health issues, I'm actually thinking about picking up the "habit" of coloring books like that again.

Do it! I've been laid up for almost 2 years and the adult coloring books have been the best boredom reliever. I've always colored but got tired of coloring kids stuff.

I got 3 for my birthday in July and have ordered 6 more since then.

• Love 2

I'm pretty sure those are supposed to be cherubs. 

Biblically speaking, angels were created at the start of time and are not dead people. Not that anybody's obligated to go along with that, but that's the traditional view.

• Love 3
  • Biblically speaking, angels were created at the start of time and are not dead people. Not that anybody's obligated to go along with that, but that's the traditional view.

Thank you. 12 yrs of Catholic school taught me that.

Edited by Taylorh2
  • Love 1
Are you 48 and living with your parents? Working only part time so you can "be devoted to your music"? Date bilgistic! She'll rescue you!

Ohh...I hope you watch Judge Judy for tips on what not to do...don't loan them money, or cosign their car note, or get them a cell phone on your plan

• Love 4

Yeah, I'm smart enough to not do any of those things. But date them I will, apparently. I've been cold-turkey for over a year. The 48-year-old living with his parents told me I am a "remarkable woman" when he dumped me for his ex. He's back online now (my profile is hidden). Oh, the schadenfreude!

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 6

I have an acquaintance who suggested I go to AA meetings to meet men. I'm not an alcoholic.

My ex husband did AA.  Those meetings are total meat markets.  All the people there are into actually communicating their feelings and helping others.  It's the one place where you are actively discouraged from bottling everything up.  So, people are connecting right and left.

And, because you are supposed to keep coming to meetings after you start recovering, not everyone there is at rock bottom.

On another subject - One of my cousins is really hooked on the coloring books!  Very relaxing apparently.

• Love 5

Have you seen the New Brownie Batter Oreo's?  Mmm.

Oh man, where do I get those?

I think I'm in love...

And toilet paper that is neither soft nor strong, at that.  Those dead babies were lying to me!

• Love 7

I don't know if the Willow Curve is good or bad, but I have to comment that Chuck Woolery looks like he's aged very well.  I just googled him to see that he's 74 years old!

You can occasionally find him on TattleTales, rerun on a classic channel called Buzzr (they show old game shows from the 1970s). I've seen Chuck with his second(?)wife, JoAnn Pflug.

• Love 1

Seems like Grey Goose is going all out to grab sales. I just saw an ad which says that it's made with "Spreeng watair and ze best French weed." At least that's what it sounds like.

I'd definitely buy that!

• Love 2

OK, there's a commercial where a bunch of boys in baseball uniforms, covered in dirt, approach one boy's dad.   "Hey dad, can the team sleep over?"  Dad says sure, then goes to SEARS to buy a washing machine.   Huh?

So this one guy takes the whole baseball team home, without talking to their parents, then he is responsible for WASHING UNIFORMS???   Do the people making these commercials even HAVE kids?  I have sons, they've been on sports teams, they've been in scouts, they've had sleepovers.   But I've never taken a whole team of kids right from the game back to my house, and I sure as hell haven't done other kids' LAUNDRY .   And, since they're coming right from the game to his house, they don't have clothes packed -   are the boys then going to have to sit around naked while he washes their clothes? 

What am I missing here? 

• Love 12

I saw two different FarmersOnly.com commercials tonight with talking pigeons.  Pigeons, the international symbol of romance.  This one gave me a headache:

Immediately after they show city folks who did get it, they claim that city folks just don't get it.  These city folk got it because they apparently had country that could be let out.  But if they aren't farmers, that means the FarmersOnly site isn't only for farmers.  Were the two people actually farmers visiting the city under false pretenses?  Did the city disguises vanish when they sang the jingle, as if they had yelled "Shazam!"?  Who told the voice actress for the female pigeon that she could sing?  Were they aiming for the audio equivalent of pigeon poop on a statue?  Nothing makes sense about this commercial!
  • Love 8
OK, there's a commercial where a bunch of boys in baseball uniforms, covered in dirt, approach one boy's dad.   "Hey dad, can the team sleep over?"  Dad says sure, then goes to SEARS to buy a washing machine.   Huh?

There is so much wrong with that commercial, quite true.  Regardless, I can't help but love it because the DAD is picking them up from practice, the DAD is worried about all the dirt, and the DAD is taking care of them, washing their things and making dinner.  All by himself!  Hurray for a father who is engaged with his children and is capable of being a fully functional adult.  A rare species in the commercial world.  I couldn't find it on Youtube, only iSpot: http://www.ispot.tv/ad/70P2/best-buy-4th-of-july-sale-samsung-washer-baseball-season

FWIW, the commercial is for Best Buy about Samsung washer/dryers.  I didn't see Sears as being quite that forward-thinking.

• Love 1

Also, I think the dad was thinking back to when the washing machine was bought not that he went out and bought it after saying yes to the team. I think he was thinking: Got that new washer with the sink and I can at least get some of the stinkiness out in that sink so the whole house doesn't smell like a locker. Now, as to not having a change of clothes, that is more problematic. 

Then again, I'd be one of those that uses the attached sink so that I can get to stains before I have to do a load. But then again I have coffee drip stains on far too many of my shirts. Because clearly I am a klutz.

• Love 3

So this one guy takes the whole baseball team home, without talking to their parents, then he is responsible for WASHING UNIFORMS???   Do the people making these commercials even HAVE kids?  I have sons, they've been on sports teams, they've been in scouts, they've had sleepovers.   But I've never taken a whole team of kids right from the game back to my house, and I sure as hell haven't done other kids' LAUNDRY .   And, since they're coming right from the game to his house, they don't have clothes packed -   are the boys then going to have to sit around naked while he washes their clothes? 

What am I missing here? 

The ad lost, you thought it was for Sears when it was for Best Buy.

I think the aim of most ads is to make you look and remember the product, not to make sense.  No one cares if the ad makes sense, because most people really don't watch ads, they FF past them; all they want you to do is buy.  

The Farmer's Only ad worked because you remembered "Farmer's Only."  It's not looking to make sense, I mean pigeons don't sing, at least not in English.  They want you to remember the product and maybe that stupid jingle.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 2