Type keyword(s) to search

Say What?: Commercials That Made Us Scratch Our Heads

Lola16
  • Start Topic

according to their website, Sonic's "candy slushies"   - a medium has 500 calories, 128 grams of sugar.  A large has 730 calories, 185 grams of sugar.   

Really, a frozen slush drink of sugar and food coloring, needs "NERDS"  candy, made of sugar and food coloring,  added in?  

Isn't this just the equivalent of giving your kid a bowl of sugar and a spoon? 

• Love 5

I just saw an M&Ms commercial that uses "Tainted Love" as background music. A lot of people have always thought that the song is about anal sex, STDs, or AIDS (it's not). Do the producers think they're going to sell a lot of their brightly colored sugar pills with that association in the back of viewers' minds? Especially since the ad features a woman in bed with an M&M?

• Love 2

Well, the latest Sonic ad was for Slushie drinks with CANDY mixed in.   Does anyone past 6th grade think that sounds good?

Sounds like a choking accident waiting to happen.

• Love 2

All of the models in the Always discreet disposable undergarments ad are bigger and full figured ladies. What, skinny chicks don't have pee problems? I mean, it's nice to see us larger than average chicks represented, but it's not like we roam in exclusive herds.

• Love 12

All of the models in the Always discreet disposable undergarments ad are bigger and full figured ladies. What, skinny chicks don't have pee problems? I mean, it's nice to see us larger than average chicks represented, but it's not like we roam in exclusive herds.

Yeah, these kinds of commercials do seem like some kind of weird segregation-type thing. Like high school or prison. I wonder why they're doing this with this product?

• Love 2

All I could think about when I saw this commercial was, if these are real people & not actors, how many parents actually picked one of their kids to go in the not-as-safe car?

Man, I hate that commercial.

1) I'm tired of this whole campaign from Chevy with the fake focus groups and faked product exploration.

2) Actors are indeed real people.  Like, made of water, carbon, calcium, iron, cells, bones, nerves, organs, DNA -- everything that separates humans from the synthetic people who haven't been invented yet.

3) Why do they act like the moms have to make Sophie's Choice?  The Honda Pilot has met enough safety standards to be approved for use on American roads.  Plenty of families get by just fine with Pilots.  It's not the same as making the kids cling to someone on a motorcycle.

4) Kids know at a young age which one is the parents' favorite.  Kids know who will be chosen for the deathtrap before the parent does.

5) American parents these days would be just as heartbroken if the dilemma went, "One of these vehicles has WiFi and a TV in back for the kid.  One does not."

• Love 5

I really like this commercial. However, no where in the ad does it say what these cars are. So unless you recognize the logos it flashes very briefly at the end (I didn't) you'd never know what they're advertising. Don't you think it would be beneficial to tell you what these cars are?

BTW - I found the ad and what the cars are by Googling the song. I doubt your casual couch potato would bother.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jCxehjcYwlc

If you are in the market for a high performance car like those, you don't need the logo to tell you what they are.  But thank you for posting the commercial - I needed a little Mopar lust on a Monday morning!

They flash the make and model names on the screen, but it's easy to miss. Isn't that some of the background music they ran in Risky Business (in which Tom Cruise was driving around in a Porsche, not a Dodge)?

Watch closely and the Viper at the end gives a clue as to what brand it is.

I don't remember what music was used in Risky Business other than Bob Seger, but this one is a shoutout to Miami Vice, and really works well. What's also VERY cool is that all the footage is actual video, no CGI at all. Peter DeLorenzo at AutoExtremist.com in his On The Table column from July 8 said 

"The spots were filmed in Miami over three nights and every image in the commercial was actually shot - which believe me, is a revelation in this digital age - including the alligator that morphs into the front of the Challenger SRT Hellcat. There's a boat scene - another image that conjures up "Miami Vice" - that was captured from a helicopter, and drones were used in the production. The car-to-car shots were taken from cameras mounted on a following Hellcat..."

http://www.autoextremist.com/on-the-table1/?currentPage=4

It's fast becoming my favorite commercial, even though I gave up on Mopar a few years ago. 

• Love 1

Memories of the great opening for Miami Vice is the reason I like these commercials so much. They really nailed the "vibe" and that boat scene is the topping on the cake.

I still say it wouldn't kill them to say that these are Dodges, though.

• Love 1
(edited)

Memories of the great opening for Miami Vice is the reason I like these commercials so much. They really nailed the "vibe" and that boat scene is the topping on the cake.

I still say it wouldn't kill them to say that these are Dodges, though.

Maybe not - but that's a very clever part of the advertising. Make the viewer curious and convince them to sit through it to the end. It hooks you and it doesn't let you in on the secret until the last few seconds. But it DOES say Dodge, eventually.

And for us Old Farts and Fartesses, the silhouette shown in the link to YouTube can't be anything but a Dodge Challenger, even if the new one does have the gas cap on the wrong side. Scroll down to the second photo:

http://www.hotrod.com/cars/featured/mopp-1001-1972-dodge-challenger/

Edited by Hyacinth B
  • Love 2

Come back home, we've missed you!

Nope, they lost me when they shut down almost 800 Dodge and Chrysler dealerships in 2009. A LOT of people I knew in The Bidness had their livelihoods torn to shreds when that happened.

And then to make it even worse, they handed the company to Fiat and that colossal handjob Sergio. That's one of the many things Peter DeLorenzo and I agree on. But hey, at least I can still appreciate the sound of a Hemi. 

• Love 2

2) Actors are indeed real people.  Like, made of water, carbon, calcium, iron, cells, bones, nerves, organs, DNA -- everything that separates humans from the synthetic people who haven't been invented yet. 

Yes, yes, yes!  Thank you for saying this.  Every time I watch a commercial where they say: "these are real people, not actors" I immediately say back: "actors are real people".  

• Love 3

Yes but actors are paid to say certain things, where "real people" aren't.

Another way of looking at it is that both are paid to be in an ad, but the "real people" have to ad lib their lines while the actors get scripts.

Yes, yes, yes!  Thank you for saying this.  Every time I watch a commercial where they say: "these are real people, not actors" I immediately say back: "actors are real people".  

Except for Tom Cruise, who's obviously a cyborg.

• Love 9

Intel has been running ads claiming that they provide the technology that lets you turn your PC into a tablet. Since they're really just talking about a tablet with a keyboard that can be physically attached and removed again, what "technology" are they talking about?

• Love 3

I saw  "farmer's only"  dating service commercial, where the man says that meeting the woman he's with was "a blessing in disguise".   It left me wondering what the disguise was. 

Usually, that would mean you met someone under a bad circumstance, like "getting that traffic ticket was a blessing in disguise", if you meet your mate in traffic court, for example.  But if you meet someone on a DATING SITE - that's pretty straightforward.

• Love 5

I saw  "farmer's only"  dating service commercial, where the man says that meeting the woman he's with was "a blessing in disguise".   It left me wondering what the disguise was.

[The Golden Girls]"Why would a blessing want to wear a disguise? If I was a blessing, I'd walk around naked."[/The Golden Girls]

• Love 8

FarmersOnly seems to be aimed at older, conservative people.  The service needs to appeal to young liberals, too:

Becky: "I grow medical cannabis on my sustainable, organic farm.  It was important to me to find someone who shares my values of compassion and ecological responsibility."

Jason: "Whenever I get fired, I help Becky with our farm.  She's pretty hot, and I get free weed, so, yeah."

• Love 9

There is this ad that is like a broadway musical. A guy says "Can somebody tell me how to get a small business loan fast?" and then a bunch of people jump out and start singing. Every time this ad comes on, it cuts off right in the middle and a different commercial starts. It always cuts off at the same point, just as a guy is singing "that's my name about that--" and then bam, new commercial. It is his name above what? And what is this ad for? I've seen in three times and it cut off every time.

• Love 1

Invoking the Declaration of Independence! The Statue of Liberty! Red, white and blue everything!

Methinks the Belgian based Anheuser-Busch InBev, owned by a group of Brazilians, doth protest too much.

• Love 5

Invoking the Declaration of Independence! The Statue of Liberty! Red, white and blue everything!

Methinks the Belgian based Anheuser-Busch InBev, owned by a group of Brazilians, doth protest too much.

Don't they know that those car insurance idiots have given lots of us a knee-jerk grab for the remote whenever we see someone standing up against that particular fence?

• Love 8

I saw a commercial last night for Fixident where a woman was making her way along a row of giant teeth, hopping from one to the next.  As the voiceover warned how certain foods could cause dentures to loosen, she got tossed around and fell off.  Thankfully, at this point the word DRAMATIZATION appeared on the screen.   Whew!  Glad they told me that wasn't REAL!

• Love 7

I've noticed something similar in a lot of drug commercials.  When someone is describing living with a chronic condition, the disclaimer "actor portrayal" will often appear.  It doesn't matter how trivial the problem is (sore feet) or if no lines are spoken (woman staring sadly out window to portray depression).

I tried to find something official that describes why advertisers have to do that, but I failed.

I found one article about the damaging effects of "actor portrayals" in public health campaigns.

If you get bored, here is a twelve-page PDF from the FTC about testimonials and endorsements.  The humor comes from the minutiae.

• Love 1

I've noticed something similar in a lot of drug commercials.  When someone is describing living with a chronic condition, the disclaimer "actor portrayal" will often appear.  It doesn't matter how trivial the problem is (sore feet) or if no lines are spoken (woman staring sadly out window to portray depression).

Usually watching another couple or family enjoying life - they'll always be happy and active.  When your depressed, you never look out the window and see the neighbor hauling out their garbage, sitting on the porch reading the newspaper or taking a walk by themselves because happy people are never alone, never have to do dull household chores and never sedentary.

• Love 5

I tried to find something official that describes why advertisers have to do that, but I failed.

AFAIK, the law only requires the person to be identified as an actor if it can be seen as an endorsement. The companies may just want to be covered in case somebody takes a broad view. of what that means.

• Love 1

If you are in the market for a high performance car like those, you don't need the logo to tell you what they are.  But thank you for posting the commercial - I needed a little Mopar lust on a Monday morning!

I recognized the cars without the logos. I love the sound of the engine, too. Great commercial! 

I just want to know where they found those empty streets and parking garages for their joy ride.

• Love 2

I know this is an insanely litigious society, but has anyone actually tried to sue the actors in drug ads when a drug doesn't meet expectations in some way? That's messed up.

It's too bad we can't sue commercial actors just for annoying us.

DirecTV Customers vs. Flo

The People vs. Yogurt Bitch

Heck, maybe they could expand the class action suits to include nonhuman defendants.

American Breakfast Eaters vs. CGI Almond

City of Milwaukee vs. Beer Hipsters

Edited by erikdepressant
  • Love 10

I recognized the cars without the logos. I love the sound of the engine, too. Great commercial! 

I just want to know where they found those empty streets and parking garages for their joy ride.

Here's the 90 second extended cut - turn up the speakers and enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCxehjcYwlc

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/dodge-brand-halo-vehicles---dodge-charger-srt-hellcat-challenger-srt-hellcat-and-viper-gts---featured-in-new-campaign-making-large--and-small-screen-debuts-beginning-july-3-300107709.html

The spots were filmed in Miami over three nights and every image in the commercial was shot, including the alligator that morphs into the front of the Challenger SRT Hellcat. The boat scene was captured from a helicopter, drones were used in production and, instead of the usual pursuit vehicle to shoot car to car, a camera was mounted to another Hellcat, as nothing else could keep up with the speed. The ads were created in partnership with Portland, Ore.-based independent advertising agency Wieden+Kennedy.

• Love 1

instead of the usual pursuit vehicle to shoot car to car, a camera was mounted to another Hellcat, as nothing else could keep up with the speed.

I'm sure they mean they had nothing else on hand because fast cars are not something they could justify keeping on hand from a business perspective.

Belsomra commercial - it's a drug for that new insomnia theory about how your "wake" system can interfere with your "sleep" system.

So to illustrate this, they make the words "wake" and "sleep" into anthropomorphic (zoomorphic?) creatures, Wake being a dog (I assume - it looks particularly wonky) and Sleep being a cat. And naughty Wake keeps bothering Sleep until he's exiled to the Belsomra pet bed so Sleep can curl up in bed with the lady.

Someone took some serious acid to create these furry words, just sayin'.

• Love 7

I'm sure they mean they had nothing else on hand because fast cars are not something they could justify keeping on hand from a business perspective.

As a man once said "It takes a Mopar to catch a Mopar..."

• Love 1