Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Primetime Emmys - General Discussion

Message added by formerlyfreedom

A reminder that all Primetimer rules and policies are in effect during live chats, including politics policy. Please stick to discussion of the show. Thank you.

• Start Topic

With the Emmy Nominations being announced on Tuesday, I thought I'd link the final Gold Derby odds here. A handful of the categories would seem to be absolute locks but many of the categories are highly competitive. When you scroll way down the lists and see some of the actors who are listed at 100/1, it really makes you realize just how many amazing performances we've been treated to recently. "Peak TV" indeed.

Predicted Winners Emmy Awards Nominations 2022

• Love 1

I'm disappointed that "Yellowstone" got zero nominations.  There were some faults with the past season, but it seemed like the show was finally picking up some buzz and possible award attention.  Kevin Costner and Kelly Reilly in particular deserved recognition this year.

I'm also disappointed that there were no nominations for "The Tourist".  I read that the show decided to submit in the Drama category instead of Limited Series (I'm assuming because they are pretty sure they are going forward with a second season) so that probably hurt its chances.  But I think Jamie Dornan and Danielle McDonald deserved recognition, they were both outstanding.

I don't get the love for Euphoria at all. On the other hand, I'm happy to see Abbott Elementary get embraced as much as it did.

Hader, Sudeikis, Glover, Martin & Short. That is a big time line up in that category. 

I was really hoping Selina Gomez would get a nomination. Oh well.

I guess Succession will be the favorite in most drama categories, which is just fine with me.

• Love 1

Considering how often HBO and Netflix shows get nominated the emmys should just pull the trigger and give them their own category just so other worthy shows that are being ignored can get some recognition.

"Best HBO Original"

"Best Netflix Original"

I am happy that both Yellowjackets and Better Call Saul (especially Rhea Seehorn) has been nominated.  

• Love 1
10 hours ago, blackwing said:

I'm disappointed that "Yellowstone" got zero nominations.  There were some faults with the past season, but it seemed like the show was finally picking up some buzz and possible award attention.  Kevin Costner and Kelly Reilly in particular deserved recognition this year.

I'm also disappointed that there were no nominations for "The Tourist".  I read that the show decided to submit in the Drama category instead of Limited Series (I'm assuming because they are pretty sure they are going forward with a second season) so that probably hurt its chances.  But I think Jamie Dornan and Danielle McDonald deserved recognition, they were both outstanding.

I'm upset that Ghosts didn't get nominated for anything. I get why the actors weren't nominated but the writers are excellent.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Slade347 said:

I don't get the love for Euphoria at all. On the other hand, I'm happy to see Abbott Elementary get embraced as much as it did.

Hader, Sudeikis, Glover, Martin & Short. That is a big time line up in that category. 

I was really hoping Selina Gomez would get a nomination. Oh well.

I guess Succession will be the favorite in most drama categories, which is just fine with me.

I don't watch it but Abbott Elementary and it's nominations were good for ABC. Regular TV is really vanishing from the Emmy nominations.  As far as Euphoria goes I agree even the people who watch it also seem to dislike it. Weird lol. 

• Love 2

Glad Only Murders in the Building cleared a bunch of noms but it seems pretty glaring that Selena Gomez got snubbed in acting (she did get a producer nod).  Also a little peeved that Bridget Everett and Somebody, Somewhere seems to have gotten no love.

I thought for sure we'd see some nods on the Stranger Things side for Caleb, Millie or Sadie.  Probably could have dropped some Succession actors, although Season 3 of that show was really good.

Apparently Severance is this years "show I need to watch" 

In the Great Succession vs. Squid match ups I'm Team Squid but will be cool if those rascally Roys snag the wins.  I did like that Lee You-Mi snagged a guest nod ("thank you for playing with me" 😭😭😭)

• Love 1

I am very happy that Succession scored so many nominations. I'll be even happier if Matthew Macfadyen wins for Supporting Actor. He had an incredible year, but so did Kieran Culkin. I just hope one of them wins.

My biggest disappointment is the exclusion of Naveen Andrews, who was just terrific as Sunny Balwani in The Dropout.

• Love 2

How in the name of GOD did The Gilded Age NOT get nominated for Outstanding Period Costumes? Seriously?

I don't typically pay much attention to the Emmys and now I know why - by reading the nominations is looks like there are only about 10 shows on television... I don't get it. 

• Like 2
4 hours ago, Lunula said:

How in the name of GOD did The Gilded Age NOT get nominated for Outstanding Period Costumes? Seriously?

That definitely shocked me, especially in light of the fact that the show did grab a nomination for production design, even though that category also includes fantasy/sci-fi shows, which have their own dedicated category for costuming. 🤷‍♀️ Here are the nominees for Outstanding Period Costumes: 

Screenshot_20220720-203245_Drive.jpg

• Like 1

Saturday was night one of the Creative Arts Emmys. More Emmys to be awarded tonight. The big takeaways from Saturday:

Emmys were won by both Adele and Eminem. Each is now one Tony shy of EGOT status. 

Chadwick Boseman won a posthumous Emmy for his voice acting performance in What If...? 

The Beatles: Get Back won Best Documentary Series and Peter Jackson also won for Directing. 

The full list of Saturday night's winners can be found here:  Creative Arts Emmys: ‘The Beatles: Get Back,’ ‘Adele: One Night Only’ Win Big on Night One

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Hahahahaha "Corn Puddin'" from Schmigadoon won best original song. 

My only gripe is Carpool Karaoke winning AGAIN!!!  I was hoping Randy Rainbow would finally snag the win.

Congratulations to Nathan Lane, Lee You-Mi, Chadwick *sniff*, Get Back, and Stanley Tucci.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
34 minutes ago, Avabelle said:

Her look is terrible but she’s packing a lot of energy. 

Yeah I wasn't in love with it. I also hate Hannah Waddingham's look. It's giving grown-up playing Princess and not in a good way. Of course whenever I see a whole lot of pink and tulle, I'm out. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
3 minutes ago, truthaboutluv said:

Yeah I wasn't in love with it. I also hate Hannah Waddingham's look. It's giving grown-up playing Princess and not in a good way. Of course whenever I see a whole of pink and tulle, I'm out. 

Anytime I look at Hannah I just see the young blonde princess from House of the Dragon. 

A fashion magazine wrote this weekend on IG, "we don't know who'll win the Emmys but we know Zendaya's going to be the best dressed." So far, they're right. 

On the not so great side, Kerry Washington is such a beautiful woman but dear god has her fashion choices been sucking these last few years. White dress with black stockings? Really? 

• Like 1

Regarding the actual awards, I will say this is definitely one of the more competitive years. Comedy is tight across almost all the categories, same as Drama. Limited Series might be the least competitive where this is clearly just a battle between Dopesick and The White Lotus. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Sorry I'm not liking these trains where it looks like someone safety pinned the extra fabric on them.  I'm mixed on Britt Lower's metallic looking gown.  I won't spoil the show but it looks like something her character would wear.

• Love 1

Interesting start, usually it's a supporting category but maybe they're starting with one where there's a clear favorite.

Aaaaand Michael!!!  Dopesick was a great series.

I like Himesh's jacket but then again I always appreciate when the men go outside the traditional black.

Edited by kittykat
  • Love 2