Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: New Adventures

• Start Topic

Jen and Bill decide it's time for Will and Zoey to join some extra-curricular activities now that they are 4 and 3 respectively, and they enroll Will in karate lessons and Zoey in ballet;  Bill has the kids help with a project around the house.

Ok, this is weird ... this is what TheTVDB.com is showing is the next episode ... they don't usually show reruns as next episodes ... so I don't know what to make of this?

Anyone have any ideas?

Honestly - I think TLC is scraping the bottom of the barrel to fill time because they had to pull 19 Kids and Counting on No One Noticing the Molestation Issues on very short notice.

The India arc was pretty highly rated and there's extremely little for anyone to find fault with. I mean, there's only so much white trash in West Virginia willing to pretend to be gypsies for TLC's other shows....

• Love 2

I don't watch all that closely, however, I am like, wasn't she adopted like eons ago?  ::giggle::

I can't even find anything out on the TLC Website ... so if anyone finds out something, just let me know and I can change.

What is funny is that Zap2it shows a "new" episode tonight ... Season 7, Episode 10: New Adventures

Um, hello, aren't we in Season 9?

• Love 1

From my Uverse guide, tonight's episode description :

"New Adventures"

Jen and Bill decide it's time for Will and Zoey to join some extra-curricular activities now that they are 4 and 3 respectively, and they enroll Will in karate lessons and Zoey in ballet;  Bill has the kids help with a project around the house.

• Love 1

Thanks ... could you tell me what season and episode they are calling it?

Some searching turns up Season 8, Episode 10 for "New Adventures".

FYI - Next week, Tue 6/16 shows Season 8, Episode 11  as "Will's 5th Birthday" (no specific episode description yet, but I can check back for you after my guide reloads it, if you wish.

• Love 1

Some searching turns up Season 8, Episode 10 for "New Adventures".

FYI - Next week, Tue 6/16 shows Season 8, Episode 11  as "Will's 5th Birthday" (no specific episode description yet, but I can check back for you after my guide reloads it, if you wish.

I wish, thank you!!!

I am going to call it Season 9 Episode 3 ... just to keep it in order with the first two so far that are "new" ... if things change along the way, I will edit it.

• Love 2
(edited)

The cuteness was on overload tonight, heh. I just enjoyed every single second.

I was very impressed (maybe even proud, heh) with how well both Will and Zoey took instruction from their teachers, both in karate class and then ballet class.

Will really did a nice job following the teacher and listening, and also obeying commands and orders. I had to chuckle at how he was a little bit shy and nervous about being loud and hitting things even when given permission to, but he never stopped smiling and enjoying himself. His natural flexibility, I'd bet, will certainly hep him if he does continue with karate or maybe even gymnastics when he's older and stronger, and a tad more coordinated. 

Zoey was as pretty as a princess in her ballet outfit, and she did so well I thought. She wasn't shy or withdrawn or afraid, she didn't mind being around the other girls even though they were bigger than her, and she did a great job following the instructor and attempting to do the moves on cue. 

When Jen mentioned that they'd just had Zoey about a year it really struck me that they really haven't had the kids for that long but they have made such leaps and bounds to me it's just incredible how far they've come and they are only  growing and improving by the day.

Will reading with Jen was too precious, he is such a smart little cookie, heh. 

Watching the previews I thought that they came up with a pretty cool idea for Will's birthday party, heh, the science theme seemed like a blast.

Edited by CPP83
  • Love 8

Thank heavens for my weekly fix. I don't know how I could go on without the dose of smiles I get from watching those kiddies.

I, too, can't believe it's only been a year since they got Zoey.  Of course, kids are very adaptable but when you think of their hard lives before adoption, it's just wonderful to see how they have flourished.  They are both beyond adorable.

W the fish. Hee!

• Love 7

What a happy show! Two of my grandchildren take karate and though I've seen their routines, I haven't been to class. It was very interesting and impressive. Loved the ballet teacher and how she wore the black yoga pants pulled up with her feet bare so it was so easy for the children to see how to place their legs and feet. That wasn't how it was taught when my own little girls had "baby" ballet. And the fish named "W" was fun, and -- of course -- Zoey's fish was Nemo. 

• Love 4

I do have a snark...can't help myself.

Not loving that brown sweater with the ginormous jewels sewn on the front that Jen is wearing on all the TH.

Rare that Jen makes a poor fashion choice.

But Zoey's ballerina skirt and Will's gi with accompanying seat belt...adorbs.

• Love 1

Has anyone noticed a nose piercing on Zoey?  I am a fan of the show, but I don't think I've ever noticed it.  I tried to find a clip on the TLC site and couldn't find one that shows it.  Anyone know?

I loved the kids going to karate and dance class.  Zoey is so trusting of people now.  I suspect Will is up for any activity.

Jen seems to be shining as a parent now, as much as Bill.  

I don't think they could make enough episodes to keep me happy. 

• Love 3

That karate teacher is amazingly good with kids.  I hope Zoey sticks with dancing in whatever form.  I laughed when Will grabbed the colored dots after dance class and was all, "Lemme show you girls how this is done."

I love how Will immediately knew the fish should be named "W."  He didn't even have to think about it. Kids are so funny.

• Love 3

I just can not believe the turn around with Will. I thought he was a little spoiled brat last season and didn't have much hope it would get better.  He (and Zoey) are pure delight! They clearly love their parents very much. They could not be any cuter.  Fantastic job Jen and Bill! 

• Love 4

I think one of the best traits that Bill and Jen have is respect for each.  In the reality tv world, that's not too common.  I have heard it said that children model how the parent treats the other parent, more so than how the parent treats the child.  I'm not sure if that's true, but I think it might be.  

• Love 6

Will has got to be one of the cutest kid on the planet.  Zoey is a cutie too, but Will just makes me melt. His personality is fantastic and he is a super kid. Bill & Jen have done a great job teaching their kids respect and manners and empathy. However I hope Bill & Jen get away from the cameras soon though. I'd hate to see either one of the kids turn into reality brats a la Kate's girls (her boys still seem sweet). 

• Love 1

What a happy show! Two of my grandchildren take karate and though I've seen their routines, I haven't been to class. It was very interesting and impressive. Loved the ballet teacher and how she wore the black yoga pants pulled up with her feet bare so it was so easy for the children to see how to place their legs and feet. That wasn't how it was taught when my own little girls had "baby" ballet. And the fish named "W" was fun, and -- of course -- Zoey's fish was Nemo.

I thought Zoey named her fish Bug?

No snark from me regarding this show! After a week of following the Duggar scandal, what a relief it was to watch with a goofy smile on my face during the entire episode last night. Those kids, OMG, beyond cute! Bill and Jen are such good parents, too! I love both of the kids, but I could just eat Zoey up! Those big brown eyes just melt me. I just hope and pray that this family doesn't succumb to the reality curse that seems to afflict most other reality families. Please God, don't let that happen...

• Love 2
I just hope and pray that this family doesn't succumb to the reality curse that seems to afflict most other reality families. Please God, don't let that happen...

I am of the personal belief that television doesn't make people bad, however television can expose bad people.

I think Jen and Bill are nothing like the usual reality show characters, aka, imho, desperate fame seeking losers who are so needy for attention they will literally do anything, including selling out their children again and again in every way possible, just to get on the front page of the "Inquirer".

I don't believe this show could ever change who Jen and Bill are as people, if anything they're the ones causing change, imo. They bring such genuine, heartfelt emotion to my TV screen that no other reality show ever has.

Watching them with their children last night, seeing Will and Zoey developing so many skills, trying all these new things, learning how to interact with new people, becoming little chatterboxes able to openly express themselves, that was so enjoyable for me because theirs is the single show with the word "reality" in it that presents a reality which I feel is actually worth living in.

• Love 13

I wonder if the people who cared for Will and Zoey from birth until their adoption ever check online to see what they are up to.  I wonder if they are happy to see all the advantages they have, especially to health care, or if they frown on their tv exposure.  

On second thought, I hope they allow Zoey to have her time in dance and Will have his own time in karate.  

• Love 2
(edited)

I just can not believe the turn around with Will. I thought he was a little spoiled brat last season and didn't have much hope it would get better.  He (and Zoey) are pure delight! They clearly love their parents very much. They could not be any cuter.  Fantastic job Jen and Bill! 

Agree. IMO, Will did look like he could be on his way to being a bit of a difficult child. A little selfish, a little greedy with his things, very obstinate. But pre-schoolers are very changeable little creatures. So glad to see so much of a change in him. He's a delight right now. I'd love seeing him come through the door of my classroom every morning. Always happy and ready for anything. I really hope he retains such a bright personality! 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 1

When I was watching this episode, I thought that Zoey seemed to be on target for a three year old. Will still seems extremely young for his age to me.

i think this is accurate. I don't think its unexpected. Will was a  older than Zoey was when they got her.  I'm not surprised he is further behind.

• Love 2

i think this is accurate. I don't think its unexpected. Will was a  older than Zoey was when they got her.  I'm not surprised he is further behind.

Agree. Will is coming off severe malnutrition as a newborn, which very well could have resulted in temporary or permanent effects for him - and about three years of being partially deaf with the language acquisition problems inherent in that. 

• Love 2
(edited)

What might have come across as a spoiled or greedy child was a child who could not communicate his thoughts and feelings. As he acquires language, his true self, a smart, sweet, happy child emerges.

Edited by CousinAmy
  • Love 7

If you look at Jen's Twitter you see Will has joined Zoey in dance class.

They look happy in class together.

Will has had a harder time adjusting to school and the more confidence he gets in instructional settings, the better for him.

Anything to improve his balance, body control and awareness is a good thing.

• Love 4

What might have come across as a spoiled or greedy child was a child who could not communicate his thoughts and feelings. As he acquires language, his true self, a smart, sweet, happy child emerges.

A lot of things that people objected to were simple maturing and learning items.  The taking things from the pantry or running to a display of goodies in a store are things two year olds do.  They haven't learned better and haven't matured to have the self-control not to do that.  I watched my grandson doing the same things in parallel to Will.  Just as Will has learned and grown out of doing those things so has the grandson.  Will's maturity was delayed for many reasons so he was operating at a much younger level than his chronological age when he was adopted and now that the correctable reasons are gone, he's maturing at what looks like a somewhat accelerated rate.  Language was part of the problem, but I don't think the entire issue.

• Love 7

I think that's possibly part of it Cousin Amy. I also think its probable that Will was still trying to push boundaries and test Bill and Jen as adopted children often do.  Now that he feels secure he's not going to be sent back he's relaxed and is calmer. Plus Bill and Jen were probably still trying to define boundaries and gain confidence in their own abilities as parents.

Not to mention the affect of adding a sibling and now having to share. One of my favourite parts of prior seasons was watching Will's first interactions with Zoey. He was so gentle and seemed to want to tell her it was alright but he just didn't have the words. That's a big part of why I always thought Will was going to be alright.  A true brat would have been annoyed at all the noise Zoey was making and attention she was getting and would have tried to drown her at the first opportunity. Besides Jen's way too no nonsense put up with brat IMO.

Loved Zoey upside down jacket and Will wrestling with her. It such a wonderful gift Bill and Jen have given these two by giving them each other in addition to a new home. Not only do they have the benefits of sibling close in age but one who is close in size and ability as well. Something I've noticed in watching TLC shows is its relatively rare even in cases with two little parents to have more than one child who is little as well. Since Will and Zoey have each other they might help alleviate some off the left behind feelings a lot of disabled kids deal with. Especially for Will growing up and not being able to play little league or peewee football with his friends (I know there are teams for little people but its not the same thing as a school team).  As much as I hate to say it is a major part of boy's socialization. Besides Zoey's seems independent enough it probably won't bother her as much but life of the party Will is probably going to hate feeling left out.

Something else when comparing Will and Zoey is flexibility is very different. Will feet and legs definitely move in ways they shouldn't even be able to and Zoey is actually a bit stiff for her age( Although some of her stiffness could be uncertainty). Both are probably a function of their disability but interesting they seem to have the opposite problem. 

• Love 2

Watching Zoey in ballet and teacher trying to get her on tippee toes and I thought not happening.  It's good for Zoey to try stretching though. 

Ratings are continuing the slide:  1.641 M viewers and a .4 rating.

Since we've seen Zoey be quite wary of new people and situations in the past, it was nice to see her take to ballet class so willingly.  She seems to have gained some confidence.

• Love 8
Ratings are continuing the slide:  1.641 M viewers and a .4 rating.

I am never sure what that really means. Is there some sort of cut of whereby they are in danger?

Is it possible that those who normally what the horrid drivel on TLC have turned it off altogehter since those heartwarming families like the child molester Duggars and the trashy Honey Boo Boos are history?

Yes, there is a point where the lack of viewers leads to cancellation.  It isn't an absolute line because it's advertiser revenue (based on viewership) vs cost of production that tends to go up the longer the show is on the air.  Anything below 1M for a veteran show is review territory and below 800K is usually the end. 

• Love 1

Regarding not watching TLC altogether, due to their recent scandals, I'm kind of in that camp. The only shows I still watch on TLC are the Little Couple and Return to Amish...possibly Sister Wives when it comes back. Okay, so it's not exactly a boycott, and these events were not TLC's fault, but I do think they are extremely irresponsible with what they show and who they give shows to. While Jen and Bill aren't perfect and I don't agree with all of their decisions, I definitely think they have more respect for their children than some of the other TV families. I kind of have the impression that the show is something they do because they think it's cool or fun, and because they think they can help or educate people about the way they overcome obstacles and live their lives. (Because it is the learning channel, after all!) I feel like if TLC told them tomorrow that after their contract was up that they would be done, they would shrug it off and move on. Some of the others like the Duggars or Kate Gosselin seem like TLC is their life. Jen and Bill definitely aren't hurting for money. They would be just fine.

Anyway, this whole episode was too cute! I loved both kids in their activities, and it was great to see how quickly they both took to their new hobbies. The one thing that would have made it even better would have been if both kids could have tried both activities. I know it wasn't part of the plan for Will to do dance (even though I heard Jen ask if he wanted to on the way in) but it would have been nice if Zoey was given the opportunity to try Karate. But maybe they didn't offer lessons for kids her age?

I also thought it was interesting how differently the two kids seem to react to their balance problems. When Will had to do things like kick or duck under that foam bar, he would try and fall, and bounce back up giggling. When Zoey was told to stand on one foot for flamingo pose or something, she didn't do it right away. Not because she wasn't listening, but it looked like she was thinking about it. She wound up putting one foot on top of the other so she was technically standing on one foot, but was able to balance easier. I just thought it was interesting to see their different approaches.

• Love 5

Oh brother. The Kleins are pretending to be parents who cannot bring themselves to follow through with any form of discipline, who high five and say "WOW!" a lot and believe their children are exceptional and exceptionally bonded while a Will merely tolerates Zoey, she is incapable of initiating any part of her own life but is only imitative of her older brother, and neither child is capable of following instructions (at karate and ballet) while the parents interfere with the teacher a lot, and beam about how well the kids did in comparison to other kids.

Will is thoroughly wrapped up in his toys and very possessive of them, which is fine because he really loves play on his own terms, but poor Bill and Jen just keep on setting up scenario after scenario, pony ride birthday parties, pumpkin and Christmas decorating, painting ceramics, a tea party, baking, setting up an aquarium or a train, and both kids merely tolerate these activities for a few minutes before they wander off leaving the parents to do the activities by themselves because they usually bore Will and often terrify Zoey.

Will is happy and laughing as long as he is doing exactly what he wants, and Zoey happy to follow him along until he knocks her down, hits her, or throws a tantrum when she touches one of his toys. He is five years old and still eating cake cake cake from a high chair, sucking his thumb, and wearing diapers. Zoey can barely cope with any situation without Will, or even speak to teachers and other children.

This is a pretend family. Bill and Jen are loving people with big hearts and every good intention, she is a wonderful doctor and brave patient while Bill is a successful businessman and adoring family man, but he treats everything as a competitive prize he has won so his life is full of trophies from his wife, dogs, kids, home, and especially his cars. These two adoptive children do not love their parents so much as rely on them for a settled and reliable life with which they can cope and bond with the things they like to play with and foods they like to eat. Zoey has never once broken into peals of spontaneous laughter or been totally wrapped up in love for a person or a pet or even a particular toy, blanket, book, dress, place, or pair of shoes; her adoption took way too long and a critical developmental year was lost forever; she attached to nothing and no one, and attachment will always be difficult for her.

Nothing is a fit. They are four little people whose home builder had such bad instincts that he designed their entire house around VERTICAL space, which is where most of the (useless) square footage is, as if to over-emphasize their small stature and make them look like visitors. They are spilling out of a three car garage full of THINGS.

Bill is so blinded by his own issues that he turns each of his children's activities into a competition in which each child obviously comes out "the winner." Will is a bully who cannot follow his karate teacher's instructions, but this proves that he is independent with a healthy self-esteem; Bill claims his daughter is at the top of her class, when she was unable to complete a single dance action correctly, and his daughter's terrors of others show him that she is discerning and will never be kidnapped (or hoodwinked). His wife cannot utter a sentence without concluding with a nervous giggle, while their father manages to turn a blind eye and find a strength in each of his children's weaknesses and a virtue in his son's disobedience, tantrums, and selfishness and his daughter's indifference to or terror of most new situations or people.

Will, as head of household and knowing he can have life just the way he likes it as long as he looks cute while living it, is over-attached to his things ("My shovel!" as the final word and a violation of the family's rules of behavior, which Bill, of course ignored instead of addressing--it was a fake punishment like all the rest.) and Zoey is under-attached to hers.

Do these children have ANY friends their own age? Does Zoey EVER by herself initiate any new, self-directed ideas from the imagination, for play? Does she ever initiate a statement or question in an English short sentence? Even when she reads to herself, it is babble and baby talk; she is miming her parents with no sense of meaning or narrative forming in her head when this should be a year of a galloping vocabulary and almost non-stop imagination, exerting a firm sense of self in her day to day independent actions. Instead, she is entirely reactive and never proactive in her own life. Nothing is ever "Zoey's idea." At this age, a child should be leaving behind little signs of play and independent thought that surprise parents, insisting on wearing the most outlandish get-ups, and saying/doing things that make adults scream-laugh. Finally, it is entirely possible to raise children wth good nutritional habits, good socialization with others, good behavior, spontaneous fun, and never once saying "WOW!" and high-fiving non-events.

• Love 2

I think Will and Zoey are two of the most normal children I have ever seen on tv. I was exactly like Zoey as a child, completely freaked out by strangers especially those in costume as in Santa or the Easter Bunny. I would not go near them if my brother wasn't with me.

I thought Zoey and Will`s inability to follow some of their teachers instructions was due to their physical stature and age. Zoey, in particular, seemed to have trouble going up on her toes.

• Love 11

Is this because of her proportions? I noticed she didn't seem to be able to run with her hands in the air, or stand on one foot. I hope dance class helps her with balance. I thought it was cool that Will was into ballet so they let him take lessons, but thought it would have been nice for Zoey to have something of her own. They all seem very happy, which at the end of the day is all that matters

I think Will and Zoey are two of the most normal children I have ever seen on tv. I was exactly like Zoey as a child, completely freaked out by strangers especially those in costume as in Santa or the Easter Bunny. I would not go near them if my brother wasn't with me.

I thought Zoey and Will`s inability to follow some of their teachers instructions was due to their physical stature and age. Zoey, in particular, seemed to have trouble going up on her toes.

• Love 3