Type keyword(s) to search

S09.E03: New Adventures

• Start Topic

(edited)

I think you have to look at Will and Zoe from the perspective of two children who were severely neglected for the first years of their lives and are still playing catch-up. It's not like Bill and Jen got them as infants; they adopted toddlers and had to undo a lot of damage. It's not an easy process.

As far as the kids having no attention span, that's pretty typical. A ballet instructor teaching a room full of pre-schoolers isn't going to expect them to hunker down and do barre exercises for an hour straight. Zoe is three for Christ's sake, it's not like other kids her age are curing cancer.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 11

There are some three year olds who walk into the first ballet class and sit on the floor and sniffle through the whole first class or wander around looking at themselves in the mirrors.  Going to pre-school apparently has been great for both kids. 

• Love 8
(edited)
Don't feed the troll.

Yep.  Love the option to automatically ignore trolls.

Love Will offering his bucket for Zoey's "boogies" in the deleted scenes.

Edited by Kohola3
  • Love 8

I can only LOL at that post. 

I was waiting for Zoey to start screaming with Will kept trying to wrestle her before his karate lesson. But instead she giggled and giggled and rolled around with him.  It was great. 

• Love 5

It seems like both kids have problems jumping.  Will's legs are really bowed and tiny compared to his upper body.  Wonder when they would elect to have corrective leg surgery on him.  Zoey is more proportionate looking.

Zoey/Will's interactions seem perfectly normal to me.  Much tamer than me and my siblings growing up.  Will can tend to be a little rough, but Zoey didn't seem distressed so I didn't see a big issue with it.  I don't think he understands that even though they're both little, he's gotta have at least 15-20 pounds on little Zoey.  He does seem to be caring of her, but obviously all children get possessive of their toys now and then. 

I think if Zoey wanted to do Karate, Bill and Jen wouldn't have any problem with it.  She is really tiny though, so I wonder if they should wait a little bit.

• Love 4

In the deleted scenes the instructor interacted with Zoey a little and told them she'd be ready soon.  Will seems to be in the just ready stage so perhaps in the next year or so Zoey will be given the chance to try karate. 

• Love 4
(edited)

WOW, paragraphs - high five!    ;-)

I had a chuckle when the kids were exploring the cardboard castle and Bill made a Game of Thrones reference.

Thanks so much for the link to the deleted scenes, iamkarski.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching them.  Only this family could make me visit the TLC site; I'll have to remember to check back more often.  

Edited by walnutqueen
  • Love 6

Thanks so much for the link to the deleted scenes, iamkarski.  I thoroughly enjoyed watching them.  Only this family could make me visit the TLC site; I'll have to remember to check back more often.  

No problem :-)  The last part of Zoey's Runny Nose video clip made me laugh so hard. Will is... Will! Also, Will is learning to reason out, huh? In the New Fish Tank video clip, he was scolded by his Dad for poking the plastic bag containing a janitor fish or was it a goldfish [?], he reasoned out that he is just pointing not poking. Haha!

I can watch this show over and over for days. I just adore this Arnold-Klein family!

• Love 3
(edited)

Whew, for a second there I thought I was missing out on access to a 24/7 cam that watched the "real" evil, terribly ill-behaved, immature, and heartless Will and Zoey, as well as the results to a bunch of in-depth psychological assessments of both children.  Thank God, that's not the case.  ;)

Zoey was definitely very cute in ballet and I was surprised that she willingly took to it so quickly.  I thought that she would not really give it a try during her first class.  As for her balance issues or inability to perform certain movements, I fully believe that that is attributed to being a little person.  While the physical abilities obviously vary from little person to little person, I could at least relate to some of Zoey's "imperfect" movements.  I always had trouble balancing on one foot for a long time and even as an adult, I think I'd have some trouble performing some of the dance movements the teacher was doing.  I had PT for many years as a child, but even with all of the PT in the world, my body would/will simply never be able to do certain things (e.g., I'll never be able to walk up a flight of stairs by alternating each foot per each step; instead, I literally have to go with both feet on each step (I hope that made sense)).  I can only hope that Zoey will eventually either learn how to do these movements or at least they'll come a bit easier to her, but I don't think she'll ever be able to do every type of ballet move normally expected of her average sized peers.  And that's okay.  I think Zoey should be able to keep at it for as long as she can or wants to.  Same can be said for Will in karate.  I hope he can do as much as possible with it for as long as possible.

I loved Bill asking Will if he wanted to name the fish "W" because of George W. Bush; the nerdy humorous side of me thought the same exact thing.  Haha!

Edited by LIGirl
  • Love 9

The only thing cuter than Will in his gi (with his "seatbelt") softly touching the block of wood was Zoey in her little tutu trying to stand on her tippy toes.  That right there was cuteness overload!

Yup it was.  Also, my mind explodes at the thought of Zoey in a gi.  Maybe in a year or two.

• Love 4

I loved Bill asking Will if he wanted to name the fish "W" because of George W. Bush; the nerdy humorous side of me thought the same exact thing.  Haha!

I was thinking the same thing, too, LIGirl, but I must pronounce it Dubya (RIP Molly Ivins).  :-)

• Love 5

There are definitely different relationships between siblings based on birth order - my older brother will forever be my older brother; even though we're both in our sixties when I talk to him I immediately feel like a little girl again. He was always more adventurous, he was and is very creative and talented. Me, not so much! 

He's actually 2 1/2 years older than me, but I can see in Will and Zoey the dominance of the Big Brother over the little sister. I think they have a tight bond, though, that will continue to grow stronger, when they eventually realize that it's two (kids) against two (grown-ups).

At their age, sports and music/dance lessons start as lessons in discipline, paying attention, learning respect. And that's what we saw; Will didn't learn any technique that will save him from being mugged in a dark alley, but he learned to follow directions, which for him, is huge. And Zoey was just getting comfortable in her new experience. She will probably never be a prima ballerina but she can learn to love music and dance, discover her own talents, and learn ways to compensate for her movement issues. 

• Love 5

Jen buys all the crap people invent to sell to fools who have unlimited disposable income and bad taste. For example "I'm Baking Cookies" aprons for all 4 of them. Any dumb useless piece of crap she thinks is cute and buys. I'd like to go back through all the episodes and make a list of all the nonsense they have like those aprons. The various hats for different activities etc. People like Jen do help the economy I suppose. 

I do think Zoey is adorable. I am not sure if she has ever had any independent ideas or creativity on her own. She is a cute little mimic though.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think a lot of those things are comped in exchange for publicity. Their spending habits are pretty typical for a family in their income bracket. If I put in all the years of schooling and training that Jen did to get where she is now, I'd be buying myself some pretty nice stuff too.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6

My son bought an aquarium and let his children pick out their fish just like Bill did.  They love it and take great care--my son says it is very relaxing to watch the fish after a hard day at work.  I would punch anyone out who called my grandchildren overindulged.  They are loved, just as Will and Zoey are.  

• Love 10

I understand that Bill and Jen adopted these children and are thrilled to have them. They have the money to over indulge them, so they do. However, I don't think it's good for the kids. For 3 and 5 year olds, 2 little goldfish in a fish bowl would have been more appropriate. Did Will really need the full karate outfit for his first lesson? They didn't even know if he would like it at that point. The children had so many toys in that playroom that it made me feel a little sick. If they are trying to convince us that they are the average American family, doing average things, I'm not buying it. Those children are completely over indulged. Jen and Bill can not make up for their hard beginnings by spoiling them.

I wonder if that's why their ratings are dropping. Maybe the American public is getting tired of watching the Arnold-Kleins waste money.

Maybe it's just me, but I figure if they have the money to spend and want to indulge the kids, it's not a big deal. Actually I think they're indulging themselves more than the kids. I do worry that the kids may not hear "NO" enough, but in terms of for example Will having a full karate uniform for his first lesson, I doubt he'll even know or remember it in the long run. He'll remember the class, maybe, but I don't think he'll care what he wore.

To me two goldfish in a bowl would be cruel to the fish for the living conditions and the kids for having to bury a pet too soon, so I can only think they'll probably always be criticized for something.

• Love 5
(edited)

Okay, first and foremost, fish should not be kept in a fish bowl. From what I know, goldfish have a life span of more than a decade and keeping them in a fish bowl will just shorten their life by more or less 99%. It is like sentencing them to death. Please tell me you respect and value the rights and life of other living creatures like that of a fish.

Second, we can only speculate as to how Will and Zoey got a room full of toys. For all we know, those were given by their relatives, friends, even fans or their sponsors. That is not impossible. I remember a picture of Will riding a black Mercedes Benz car for kids and that car was actually TLC's or the Production's gift to Will few months after he arrived in the U.S. Also, let us just say, for argument sake, Bill and Jen splurge on their kids' toys, for as long as they don't ask money from me/us, I don't see anything wrong with that.

We shouldn't pass judgment to the Arnold-Klein family easily. Let us just enjoy watching them.  :-)

Edited by iamkarski
  • Love 11

Okay, first and foremost, fish should not be kept in a fish bowl. From what I know, goldfish have a life span of more than a decade and keeping them in a fish bowl will just shorten their life by more or less 99%. It is like sentencing them to death. Please tell me you respect and value the rights and life of other living creatures like that of a fish.

I won three of those critters at a fair and I am such a softie/animal lover that I was out getting them an aquarium the next day (and a bigger aquarium a year later). It was a little shocking to find out that with decent care a goldfish might well outlive me. I cringe every time I see goldfish in a small fish bowl given to little kids. I guess others cringe when there are too many toys in a house, or the kids seem too spoiled.  We all have our 'things' don't we?

• Love 4

My son bought an aquarium and let his children pick out their fish just like Bill did.  They love it and take great care--my son says it is very relaxing to watch the fish after a hard day at work.  I would punch anyone out who called my grandchildren overindulged.  They are loved, just as Will and Zoey are.  

We did it too, and one of our daughters did it (and still has it). When Jen and Bill did it, I thought it was just an ordinary thing you did with kids especially if you own a pet shop.

• Love 4

As far as I'm concerned, people can spend their money any way they choose.  It may not be what I would do, but who cares?  There are parents who spend the food or rent money on alcohol, drugs or gambling, so seeing the relatively affluent Klein-Arnold family indulge their kids doesn't bother me in the least.  Besides, they could have bought a fancy play house castle for the kids to play in, but Bill made them one out of cardboard boxes instead.  Last season I thought Will might be turning bratty, but now both kids appear to be age and developmentally appropriately well-mannered. 

• Love 6

Fish keeping is challenging, but it can be fun. Hopefully. they will start again. The source of the fish should be looked into. IF W and Nemo had a disease, I'm sure the other fish from that tank did as well. 

• Love 1

Maybe it's just me, but I figure if they have the money to spend and want to indulge the kids, it's not a big deal. Actually I think they're indulging themselves more than the kids. I do worry that the kids may not hear "NO" enough, but in terms of for example Will having a full karate uniform for his first lesson, I doubt he'll even know or remember it in the long run. He'll remember the class, maybe, but I don't think he'll care what he wore.

To me two goldfish in a bowl would be cruel to the fish for the living conditions and the kids for having to bury a pet too soon, so I can only think they'll probably always be criticized for something.

When my kids started karate, they were  required to wear a gi. It was not optional 

• Love 7
(edited)

I wonder if the people who cared for Will and Zoey from birth until their adoption ever check online to see what they are up to.  I wonder if they are happy to see all the advantages they have, especially to health care, or if they frown on their tv exposure.  

On second thought, I hope they allow Zoey to have her time in dance and Will have his own time in karate.  

They do watch, from Will's orphanage at least. I read on the orphanage's blog that they kind of made it an event to watch the show and were so proud of Will's progress. It was really cute. That place really seemed very nurturing and gave Will a good start in life. I'll try to find the link to the post.

Edit: Found it!

Edited by EarlGreyTea
  • Love 4
Besides, they could have bought a fancy play house castle for the kids to play in, but Bill made them one out of cardboard boxes instead.

I thought that was so cute.  Bill's back is still bad and he's obviously still in pain but he takes the time to carve out the elaborate castle.  That is one involved dad.  And the fact that the kids were so happy playing in it says a lot about how they can use their imaginations and not rely on electronics all of the time.

Of course, that was how we grew up - a new refrigerator was an event for the whole neighborhood to celebrate because that meant hours of fun for all!

• Love 5

When my kids started karate, they were  required to wear a gi. It was not optional 

Thank you for the correct terminology. I knew I'd seen the word before but couldn't think of what it was. Come to think of it I don't remember ever seeing a kid come out of a karate class wearing, say, shorts and a t-shirt.

• Love 2

My husband taught Judo for many years and if any of his students came to the dojo with half of their gi missing, that person would have been told to go home and return when they have the respect to wear their full gi.  As the sensei (or do they call them "master" in Karate?  I always forget) told Will before he entered, respect is demanded.  Part of that respect is being prepared with your gi on and your obi (belt) tied appropriately, bowing before stepping on the mat and listening to what your sensei tells you.  

• Love 6

It was so nice to see the language progress Will's made in this episode. No, three-word-sentences are not developmentally typical for 4 year olds. But, it is progress for Will.

As an early childhood educator, I find myself reassuring a lot of parents by pointing to all the progress their children have made, even if they're still behind the curve. As I tell them, we only start to get truly worried when the kids make no progress at all. Seeing that Will has clearly demonstrated the ability to grow, I'm confident that he'll get there eventually with his language. It may (ok, it will definitely) take him longer than most children, but he can get there.

The bedtime reading scenes also made my little teacher heart so happy. I'm sure some scenes are totally staged for the cameras because this is reality TV, after all. But as soon as Will started "reading" the story along with Jen, it was clear to me that this was a daily ritual for the family and Will knew the story well. Oh, and I sucked my thumb for a long time as a kid too, especially at bedtime, so I can definitely relate to Will there!

• Love 8

The only thing I don't like about Will is that he's still incredibly possessive over his belongings. He's too old be flipping out and screaming "Mine!" every time Zoe handles one of his toys. I was glad to see Bill be firm with him about waiting his turn when they were setting up the fish tank.

I was really happy to see Zoe do so well at ballet class. I was afraid she'd freak out without her parents in the room, but she did great.

• Love 1

https://twitter.com/ReallyBillKlein/status/608452971093983232

‏@ReallyBillKlein

W and Nemo survived for at least 2 or 3 weeks a disease they had contracted before coming home wiped out the tank in days.

Fishkeeping is a challenge. Nobody I know would ever use a ten gallon tank for anything but a hospital or nursery. Any tank is a closed system and that's the problem. I have 10 for a dollar goldfish in an outdoor pond and they are breeding and thriving with zero care, and that's how I like it. Not saying it's impossible to keep a tank, obviously. But they truly aren't starter pets. People just think they are.

• Love 3

On the topic of "Who's being indulged?" I agree it really is Jen and Bill over Will and Zoey. Neither one of the kids seems to clamor - yet - for endless new toys and experiences, although they certainly love getting them, like any kid would. Jen and Bill have spent years watching family, friends and co-workers having babies, being parents and all that comes with that. And now it's their turn. They get to be the ones sharing photos, telling stories, throwing elaborate birthday parties, celebrating holidays etc. I think they probably couldn't wait to do most of these things, especially since they basically "missed" their kids' babyhoods. They're rites of passage for parents as much as they are for children. From what TLC shows, I don't think the kids hear "No" enough either. But I think - and hope - things are quite different when the cameras are off. Jen especially does not seem like the type who would want her kids to become spoiled and ill-behaved.

• Love 1
(edited)

It was so nice to see the language progress Will's made in this episode. No, three-word-sentences are not developmentally typical for 4 year olds. But, it is progress for Will.

As an early childhood educator, I find myself reassuring a lot of parents by pointing to all the progress their children have made, even if they're still behind the curve. As I tell them, we only start to get truly worried when the kids make no progress at all. Seeing that Will has clearly demonstrated the ability to grow, I'm confident that he'll get there eventually with his language. It may (ok, it will definitely) take him longer than most children, but he can get there.

The bedtime reading scenes also made my little teacher heart so happy. I'm sure some scenes are totally staged for the cameras because this is reality TV, after all. But as soon as Will started "reading" the story along with Jen, it was clear to me that this was a daily ritual for the family and Will knew the story well. Oh, and I sucked my thumb for a long time as a kid too, especially at bedtime, so I can definitely relate to Will there!

Will turned five in February but you're still 100% right about everything - IMO. Your line about the bedtime reading making "my little teacher heart so happy" made me beam, because I've always felt the very same way. The one thing I said to every parent of every single child I ever taught was "Please read to him/her at home..." In general, parents aren't aware of just how much children LOVE having books read to them. Even when they look like they aren't paying attention. Even when they're older - pre-teens or teens. And have them read to you too. These are irreplaceable memories and so good for their minds too. I'll even so far as to say adults like being read to. Who doesn't enjoy listening to audiobooks - fiction or non-fiction in the car? On a long air trip? Waiting at the dentist's office or for your kid to finish soccer practice or dance class?

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 2

I would also tend to think that with the numerous, numerous family members and friends both Bill and Jen have, there is a shit-ton of toys and clothes being sent to Will and Zoey, not to mention also coming from all of the behind the scenes show-related people (e.g., TLC, the production company, ad sponsors, etc.) and fans.  I'm sure that easily and quickly adds up to what looks like "overindulging."

• Love 4

I expect you may be right. While I think sending gifts is creepy and sort of stalker-ish, I'm sure there are Will and Zoey groupies who buy things for them.  Leave that to family and friends who really know the family.

• Love 1
(edited)

I caught this episode last night. I stopped watching a few seasons ago.

What happened to their big declaration that once the kids were adopted the show would end? They said they didn't want the kids growing up on camera.

Hmmmm.

I guess even "perfect" people aren't immune to the fame whore bug.

I also noticed that Jen still does that laugh after everything she says.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1