Type keyword(s) to search

Favorite Commercials

• Start Topic

The first time I saw that commercial, I was prepared for the worst. I was so darned relieved when the dude walked back in the door that I didn't even stop to think about how it would have been more realistic for the dog to be hiding somewhere while there was a huge puddle of dog piss by the door for the guy to step in when he got home.

• Love 4

I choose to believe there's a doggy door to the backyard.  Because, otherwise - if the dog had to hold it for 12+ hours - the guy's a jerk for not ponying up for a cab rather than crashing at a friend's.

• Love 4

Yep.  I just went with doggy door based on what we saw (and didn't see) -- I figure by seeing the various shots of the dog waiting in the house as the night wore on he didn't get any attention until the owner came home in the morning (they showed the dog getting excited by headlights that turned out to be from another car, but nothing like the dog getting all excited by a key in the door only to find out it was just a neighbor taking him out to pee). 

Yes, I know I've given it too much thought.  But when it came out, my "Oh, how sweet" reaction was very quickly followed by, "But, wait ..." thoughts, so I took care to work my way back to enjoying it. 

• Love 2

Can't help but laugh at the Arby's Italian sub, "what about Arby's  don't you understand, Giuseppe?" Most of the time, I think the voice is too excited about meat, but this one, I laugh.

I don't know if it's the same actor on Arby's and ADT, but the ADT guy, says "I'm ADT". I continue the thought, "And you're not."  Too many years ago, I watched too much SNL.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 5

I don't know if it's the same actor on Arby's and ADT, but the ADT guy, says "I'm ADT". I continue the thought, "And you're not."  Too many years ago, I watched too much SNL.

Yes, Ving Rhames does both of those.

• Love 3

Can't help but laugh at the Arby's Italian sub, "what about Arby's  don't you understand, Giuseppe?" Most of the time, I think the voice is too excited about meat, but this one, I laugh.

I am hoping not but the guy on Arby's sounds like James Earl Jones... But it is one of my fave commercials also.

Remember those CD commercials during your childhood

We had records, 8-tracks and cassette tapes during my childhood.  But I do remember the commercials ... and own quite a few of the CDs.

• Love 5

We had records, 8-tracks and cassette tapes during my childhood.  But I do remember the commercials ... and own quite a few of the CDs.

Remember the ads for the "soundalike" albums?

http://youtu.be/8Y5zJaARSu4

"Because of low royalties, we can't reveal the artists." It takes really bad performers to screw up "The Entertainer" and "Tubular Bells."

We had records, 8-tracks and cassette tapes during my childhood.  But I do remember the commercials ... and own quite a few of the CDs.

Remember when they told us that CDs would be better and cheaper? And what we got was poorer sound on a fragile medium and prices so high, 60 Minutes did a segment on the price gouging.

• Love 2

Perhaps it's Stockholm Syndrome, but I've come around on Flo and I actually kinda love her now. Part of it is that her radio commercials are pretty cute (there is basically one on ESPN radio every ad break) but I have to give props to Stephanie for going all in with the character. I also love her rapport with the cute sales boy who has to keep adding to the bundle jar and doesn't know that milk has lactose in it.

I would be friends with her IRL, is what I'm saying.

• Love 4

I've come around on Flo and I actually kinda love her now. Part of it is that her radio commercials are pretty cute (there is basically one on ESPN radio every ad break) but I have to give props to Stephanie for going all in with the character.

I could be wrong, but my ear tells me that the actress who plays Flo in the radio commercials is a Stephanie Courtney soundalike, not Stephanie Courtney. This is fairly common in the biz, since radio ads often are done on a much tighter schedule than TV (very little lead time, sometimes, between getting the assignment and needing it on the air) and the actor who is the spokesman on TV can't always be relied upon to be available. (Or doesn't want to contractually commit.) So agencies scout about for a different actor who can sound reasonably like the TV actor, someone who will always be available on a moment's notice and preferably work for scale, and lock that person in.

The combination of the poor injured dog and Lee Marvin's gravely voice just works. It's genius. :) 

I knew the song instantly, but my jaw dropped when they went to the vocal.  Oh my, that slow sad solo of Marvin's makes this commercial!

• Love 2

I knew the song instantly, but my jaw dropped when they went to the vocal.  Oh my, that slow sad solo of Marvin's makes this commercial!

I'm just grateful there are still people alive who know about this musical. At the time, Marvin's vocalizing was met with universal derision, if I recall correctly. I always thought it worked.

Brattinella, that mashup of song and preview actually makes the movie look good!

• Love 2

I actually LOVED Paint Your Wagon.  I saw it when it first came out at our local theatre (I think it was the 25 cent matinee).  The songs were wonderful, the fact that Lee MARVIN and CLINT EASTWOOD actually sang in it?!  Wowie!

Another one about that time was North To Alaska; what a WONDERFUL movie!  Treat yourselves, folks, if you haven't seen it!  John Wayne, Stewart Granger, FABIAN, and CAPUCINE and Ernie Kovacs!  What a hoot!

• Love 3

Cat Ballou is a vastly underrated comic masterpiece. I cannot think of Lee Marvin without thinking of that Happy Birthday scene and the scene of him on the drunken horse.

It might be somewhat forgotten now, but (just as a point of information) it wasn't underrated at the time. It got rave reviews (including Pauline Kael's), and was a very large hit. Pretty much everyone at the time saw it, audiences laughed uproariously, and if there was a man, woman or child who didn't love it, no one has yet heard a peep from them.

Edited by Milburn Stone
  • Love 4

I think you're somewhat sugarcoating Kael's reaction in retrospect (though she certainly did like some of it), but it was indeed a big hit, and Lee Marvin surprised a lot of people by winning the Academy Award for his role (most predictions, including among my college circle, had been that Rod Steiger would get it for his searing portrayal in The Pawnbroker). It's rare that a comedy performance wins out over drama (which is what people who don't have to do it consider "real" acting).

• Love 3

For me, Lee Marvin will always be associated with Marvin v Marvin, Michelle and "palimony." Everyone in Hollywood was glued, and I believe it went all the way to the Supreme Court.

• Love 1