Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E03: Our Town, Our Law

New evidence is uncovered by Ethan, who, while still in shock that Kate participated in Beverly's "reckoning" in the town square, has another run-in with Sheriff Pope and is given a new house by a real-estate agent. Elsewhere, Theresa and Ben head to Idaho.

Well now, sure didn't see that ending coming. Not sure if I'm disappointed some weird monster is on the other side of the fence or maybe it's a good... unexpected... twist? 

So I guess Juliette Lewis is really dead. Boo.

Finally, a good character kills a baddie without letting them stupidly get away! Bye bye ice cream loving' Sheriff Pope.    Will anyone carry on your love of ice cream now? I kind of looked forward if he'd eat ice cream every week. :)

Have to say, I was surprised Ethan's got together already with his wife and kid, thought they'd drag that out longer or not happen at all.

• Love 3

Grr, Terrance Howard's wobbly voice is driving me nuts!  Maybe he's gone for good now (probably not, though, with this weird show).

Good idea Ethan, running around with a flashlight in the woods as you're trying to escape.  I'm sure that won't make it any easier for the bloodthirsty townsfolk to find you.  Not that it mattered, since nobody seemed interested in slitting his throat once he was discovered, anyways.

That seemed kind of dumb for Ethan to show up at Kate's house when he had to suspect that she's the one who turned him in.

They spent last episode showing us how you always have to answer your phone when it rings, but then Kate doesn't?  "They're not calling for me."  In a town where you get killed for disobeying the rules, do you really want to risk death for not answering your phone?

The Secret Security Field Office's security sucks if you can just show up, wait for people to be distracted, and then log into their system.  No password protection on the computer, or some other security measures?  

So the kids at the convenience store knew about Wayward Pines, but I wonder if they've heard any weird stories about people on their way there disappearing, never to be heard from again?

I'm happy that we avoided weeks of the wife thinking that Wayward Pines is a friendly quaint little town.  I wasn't looking forward to Ethan insisting that this place is fucked up, and her thinking that he's gone crazy.

Haha, I too thought about the Smoke Monster!  I also thought about Jurassic Park.  Are there dinosaurs on the other side of this fence, or what?!   

• Love 2
(edited)

If there's aliens/monsters/whatever on the other side of the fence, where was that facility that Ethan escaped to with all the bins for food (sugar, beef, coffee, etc.) and all the cars covered in dirt.  How long have Theresa and Ben been there because there car looked like it had been in storage for a long time -- or does time run faster in the storage facility ?

This episode confirms that Ethan really did see his wife and son in the hospital.  Something was off with the nurse in the hospital -- she had three candy-stripers with her and she was holding a newborn (where was the mother ?).

Why were all the storage bins in the facility labeled 'Wayward Pines' ?  Are there other towns like Wayward Pines each one in its own enclosed biodome ?  There was a number under the Sugar sign -- NSC 6811-4453 -- and all the other signs had similar numbers too.

For some reason, the delivery guy and the house cleaning crew are not part of Wayward Pines -- why exactly ?  And where did they go after they got out of the vehicles ?

Why was Beverley's body strung up in the house where Bill's body was found ?

ETA: made a correction because candy-strippers and candy-stripers are not the same thing.  :)

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 1

Smoke Monster or Aliens.   I don't know which would be worse. 

Well we know the sheriff wasn't actually in charge. I'm glad he's gone.  Good riddance to Terrence Howard.  I was hoping Beverly would be back. 

I wasn't really feeling this episode.  And I'm not a fan of the actress who plays Kate.  I'll keep watching, but 3 episodes in and I'm getting less interested.  I'm tempted to start reading the spoilers just to get it over with.

• Love 3
(edited)

We are rapidly approaching "Under the Dumb" levels of idiocy. Time for another summertime stupid-watch!

Each episode makes me more and more conviced it should stay capped at 10 episodes, it will only get worse if they have to make things up like UTD after burning through the books this season.

I'll keep watching, but 3 episodes in and I'm getting less interested.

I'm waiting through until the twist kicks in midway into the season and even that's not worth it with the way things have been going.

Edited by Free
  • Love 1

Pope said it's so much worse than you could imagine.  

Is it a town full of alien chow?

Also loved how the door to the gates of hell/time vortex/another dimension/worm hole is operated by a garage door remote control.

• Love 4
(edited)
Is it a town full of alien chow?

That's a good theory, but it wouldn't explain all the stupid rules or constant monitoring -- or the fact that while most people can never leave, others can come and go as they please (like the psychologist or Pope).

I'm just hoping that the alien that took Pope's body stays away from fresh water lakes.  Maybe Ethan should find a baby monitor and see if he can hear anything. </sarcasm>

ETA: I almost expected to Ethan to discover after he shot Pope that Pope was robot -- a robot powered by ice cream -- as there seem to be different versions of him.

How did Pope know that the Burke's had a new flavor of ice cream in their freezer ?  And why was that a rare occurrence ?

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 2

Maybe the aliens eat obedience, fear, and angst. But they cannot stomach sadness which talking about the past would create.

Sorry, just dumb grasping at straws here.

• Love 2

Pope said it's so much worse than you could imagine.

Must be the writing.

Sorry, just dumb grasping at straws here.

So are the writers.

• Love 3

I feel like the time-space wonkiness is affecting Ethan, but he's not aware of it. I was trying to understand his movements and motivations, but he was all over the place.

I was glad the kid finally made himself useful and did something besides whining and drawing people into no-win arguments.

Was there some significance to the license plate on the delivery truck?

• Love 2

I am really loving this show. I thought the ending was darn freaky. Given that this is based on a series of books, I'm gonna assume that we did not hear dinosaurs or smoke monsters. Not sure when the books were written, but they are really smoke monsters, then we would've either heard comments like "OMG, Lost just ripped off the Wayward Pines books!" or, alternatively, "OMG, the Wayward Pine books just ripped off Lost!".

I loved that Matt Dillon just killed off the sheriff. Didn't let him live.

• Love 6
Was there some significance to the license plate on the delivery truck?

It said Wyoming, and they are in Idaho.  If the delivery truck came from Wyoming, surely it must come and go from Wayward Pines.  So he hoped to find his way out of there by riding in the back.  Instead, he ended up in the mysterious warehouse.

ETA: I almost expected to Ethan to discover after he shot Pope that Pope was robot -- a robot powered by ice cream -- as there seem to be different versions of him.

How did Pope know that the Burke's had a new flavor of ice cream in their freezer ?  And why was that a rare occurrence ?

Ha, you just reminded me of that really old movie West World where the people were robots, and their faces would pop off, and you'd see all the wires.

Ethan's house had just been filled with furniture and stocked with food, so Pope was digging around to see what they had.  Apparently, all the houses come with ice cream, as all houses should.

• Love 8

Given that this is based on a series of books, I'm gonna assume that we did not hear dinosaurs or smoke monsters. Not sure when the books were written, but they are really smoke monsters, then we would've either heard comments like "OMG, Lost just ripped off the Wayward Pines books!" or, alternatively, "OMG, the Wayward Pine books just ripped off Lost!".

Many of the Lost theories/discussions would reference other stories as well from what I remember.

• Love 1

A thanks, peach! I missed the obvious by focusing on the numbers.

But speaking of that stocked refrigerator, the way they left the doors hanging open while they had a chat (and then walked away!) made me a bit crazy. Don't normal people kind of automatically close the doors?! *sigh*

• Love 13

Most frigs now start beeping at you if the doors are open more than 15 seconds or so.  It was annoying they did that.  I think they often sacrifice realism for what they think is a cool shot.

I'm glad Terence Howard is gone because his overacting was bothering me, even more than Juliette Lewis's.  I guess it's the directing when they're all turned up to 11.  

I don't get the fence... Shouldn't the other side of the huge fence surrounding the town just be... The rest if the world? Or is there an even bigger fence around that fence keeping whatever this is sandwiched in between? But then you'd think other people would notice a giant fence where the town is supposed to be....

I mean, I'm assuming there will be some wacky supernatural explanation that the town isn't really where we think it is... And there is some tunnel or something that transports you from Idaho to magic Wayward Pines land.,,

• Love 5
She had three candy-strippers with her

Now that's my kind of hospital.  :)

Sheriff Pope seemed to go off the deep end at the confrontation there, as though he was a bit overwhelmed with the Burke family instead of being his usual unctuous self.  Maybe #1 stepped on him for some miscue?  One thing caught my eye.  They were leaving on the road, and are just out of town when he catches up with them.  Can't be too far out of town because Ethan catches up right away also.  Yet the Wall is right there, presumably visible from the road, but Ethan apparently missed it on his joy ride around town in daylight. 

• Love 4

So.... another regular bites it.  Not just any regular either, but Sheriff Pope a.k.a. the dude who is currently also on FOX's number one show, Empire!  Of course, with this show, I'm still prepared for both him and Beverly to come back, but I'd kind of respect them if this was permanent.  Probably helps that I found Pope nonthreatening and Terrence Howard seemed kind of uncomfortable in a lot of his scenes.  Maybe this was on purpose, but if he was suppose to be a big threat or anything, then It really didn't work.  Now, Nurse Pam on the other hand: she freaks me out!  Melissa Leo is a blast in that role.

So, Pope's corpse gets dragged away by some mysterious creature, making inhumane noises.  I'm also guessing aliens now.  If it is, then I have no idea what the FBI's deal is in this entire thing, but maybe they are in it together.  Or, maybe I'm just grasping at straws.  Really, I still wouldn't be surprised if it ends up all being in Ethan's head.

At least the rest of the Burkes are already here, and know that this place is insane.  Of course, Ethan had to be a moron and not tell them anything, they find out Kate's around, so they flee and almost get killed.  Nice going, Ethan.

There also is clearly some kind of time manipulation going on, since Ethan claims Kate has only been missing for five weeks, but Kate thinks she was gone for twelve years.  Add all that to the Beverly stuff, and either time is different in Wayward Pines, or if just feels that way for the residents.  But since they don't seem to age any differently, I have to think it's more then likely time itself is being screwed with.

Still want to know what's the deal with Dr. Jenkins.

Justin Kirk randomly shows up as Ethan's realtor.  Or is he?!  Dun dun dun!!!!

• Love 2

Stop mentioning to squids when the subject of Cthulhu comes up! Or octopi! Lovecraft specifically described the creature as having a face like a CUTTLEFISH!

Cuttlefish: the Rodney Dangerfield of cephalopods.

two down, many more to go....who will be the new #2?

You beat me to it. Of course we have no reason to believe that the sheriff won't be back at his job tomorrow, keeping the peace and sampling the peanut butter chutney fudge.

• Love 1

I was expecting a mystery, not horror show.  When Pope smashed the glass, that startled the crap out of me!  That must have been some weak glass for it to break with his fist.

It was stupid of Ethan to abandon his family in the house without telling them what was going on and that Kate was in town.  It was also stupid for his wife to try to walk out of town in the middle of the night with her son, couldn't she at least call a cab or find a car?

I did like how nonchalant the Burke's were about killing the sheriff, I was expecting some panic or guilt.

The thing that popped out from the fence scared me.  Can't wait for next week.

• Love 1

Bye bye ice cream loving' Sheriff Pope.    Will anyone carry on your love of ice cream now? I kind of looked forward if he'd eat ice cream every week. :)

He was excited about that new flavour. I was kinda happy for him. 

• Love 7

The Secret Security Field Office's security sucks if you can just show up, wait for people to be distracted, and then log into their system.  No password protection on the computer, or some other security measures?

That was on the user-lady. Either, she had been warned they might show up and was letting Teresa do it so they'd catch it when "Burke" logged in when they knew he was in WP. Or that lady was just stupid. Most cases people set the idle timeout lock to at least five minutes (usually longer, like 15). So if she were just going to wander away from her desk and leave the Burkes standing there, it's on her to lock her machine before she walks away.

I don't get the fence... Shouldn't the other side of the huge fence surrounding the town just be... The rest if the world? Or is there an even bigger fence around that fence keeping whatever this is sandwiched in between? But then you'd think other people would notice a giant fence where the town is supposed to be....

If we go off the overhead shot, seems like there should only be one fence. But borders do sometimes have two? Or maybe WP is some kind of quarantine so there's the one immediate fence and then another slightly farther out but we've never seen a shot of that, and when Teresa and Ben were driving they had an "accident" before they got close enough to either.

So, how can someone actually drive INTO town, if you can never find the way out? Obviously the kids in the gas station knew of the town, as they directed the family to it. The first scene of the episode reminded me of a cult especially with the types of things that the Sheriff was saying. I also have to wonder, if they are losing time when they sleep? There is no way that the family had an accident the night before and the car is covered with dust overnight, unless that place is extremely dusty due to drilling r some other construction purpose. There is definitely some type of time shifting/alternate reality going on. I was also curious about the names of places in the "garage" and if there are any Easter eggs in the numbers. 

• Love 4

I'm glad Terence Howard is gone because his overacting was bothering me, even more than Juliette Lewis's.  I guess it's the directing when they're all turned up to 11.

Juliette was definitely better here than S&L where she played a stiff caricature of a tough cop that was laughable.  As for Terence, yeah, i'm glad the sheriff is gone so we don't have to see him ham it up anymore, hopefully the nurse is next.

• Love 1

So, if Kate has only been missing for five weeks, but she thinks that it has been twelve years, how long does Ethan think that he's been in Wayward Pines?  If he's been missing from the outside world for even one day, that should be over four months in Wayward Pines' wonky time, but it doesn't seem like he's been there for four months.  I was thinking more like a few days, or a week, maybe?  This weird time difference between the two "worlds" doesn't seem to be adding up.

• Love 6

So, if Kate has only been missing for five weeks, but she thinks that it has been twelve years, how long does Ethan think that he's been in Wayward Pines?  If he's been missing from the outside world for even one day, that should be over four months in Wayward Pines' wonky time, but it doesn't seem like he's been there for four months.  I was thinking more like a few days, or a week, maybe?  This weird time difference between the two "worlds" doesn't seem to be adding up.

Yes, that is a good point.  So far the accelerated time deal does not seem to be affecting Ethan's perception of time in the slightest. Although....the bruises on his face cleared up pretty quickly. So, physically yes, perceptually no?

• Love 1

Yes, that is a good point.  So far the accelerated time deal does not seem to be affecting Ethan's perception of time in the slightest. Although....the bruises on his face cleared up pretty quickly. So, physically yes, perceptually no?

These are good points. Every time something happens, the person is asleep and wakes up and has no memory of the amount of time or events (Burke woke up in the forest, he woke up in the house & the hospital, the family said that they woke up in the hospital, etc...I cannot remember any other mentions, but there may be some). So, I think there is either some type of sleeping gas dispensing system or something in which they can keep them asleep for whatever length of time desired. Because, sleep is technically a reversible temporary loss of consciousness (unlike comas which are considered generally irreversible), when the person wakes up they are picking up from their last known conscious memory. So a good amount of time could lapse in the "real" world, but in Burke's "asleep" world, it has merely been overnight. I have to wonder WHY they showed us the baby? I wonder if they are using this technique to impregnate women and having babies delivered without their knowledge? 

• Love 3
So, how can someone actually drive INTO town, if you can never find the way out?

And why can't they see any fence when they are driving into town?

I was all intrigued with this show until Pope was magically pulled into the base of the fence.  Unless Ethan wakes up from a coma at the end of the show, it seems the "answers" will end up being supernatural mumbo jumbo without any sort of logic.

• Love 1

Unless Ethan wakes up from a coma at the end of the show, it seems the "answers" will end up being supernatural mumbo jumbo without any sort of logic.

If this show somehow got another season, I can easily see them making up ridiculous nonsense like Under the Dome.

• Love 1

I'm glad Terence Howard is gone because his overacting was bothering me, even more than Juliette Lewis's.  I guess it's the directing when they're all turned up to 11.  

I'm annoyed that they keep using the same actors for every show on TV.  It takes away from the program when every new character they introduce gets you thinking about another show recently on. 

I have to wonder WHY they showed us the baby? I wonder if they are using this technique to impregnate women and having babies delivered without their knowledge? 

Yes! Also, the phones were ringing that night here and there, but Kate for example didn't have to answer it because "it wasn't for her".

Something is definitely up with the babies/kids in this show.

• Love 1
So, how can someone actually drive INTO town, if you can never find the way out?

And why can't they see any fence when they are driving into town?

Have we ever seen anyone actually drive into town from the outside world?  I think we saw a sign for Wayward Pines being 9 miles ahead, and that is as close as we know anyone ever gets.  Their cars break down and/or are crashed on the outskirts, and then they wake up in town after some time has passed.

I think I've heard them mention Lowman, Idaho as the last place Ethan and his partner were when they checked in by email before their disappearance.  The gas station where Theresa stopped is probably in Lowman as well, which is outside Boise.  Perhaps everyone who lives there has seen the signs for the turn-off road which leads to (what they assume is the town of) Wayward Pines, but none of them has ever tried to actually visit there.  Rural folk can be isolationist that way.  (My problem is with the framed map at the sheriff's office which looked like it was pointing to a spot in the northern panhandle as the location of WP, not anywhere near Boise.  Random prop dressing, I'll let it go.)

• Love 1

I find it hard to believe that two people billed as regulars have already been killed off, so I assume that they either aren't really dead or are somehow brought back.

I think this is the type of show I would have been better off binge watching.  Ten weeks of head scratching is probably going to drive me nuts.

• Love 11

I'm so glad to be able to come on here and try and make some semblance of this show - I always end up doing something else at the same time and I feel totally lost. Oh and Matt Dillon's angular banged up face is distracting because it reminds me of Michael Jackson in Thriller. I keep waiting for the random zombie dance to start. 

(edited)

This was a turning point for me and I'm actually starting to dig this show after being on the fence for the first couple of episodes. The big bonus for me was killing off Sheriff Pope who annoyed the crap out of me. Every time someone starts talking in riddles and giving ominous warnings without explanations, I want them killed. I was also surprised and relieved how quickly they reunited Ethan with his family. Thought that would probably drag out for ten episodes.

I do call bullshit, however, on Ethan's network password being his son's birthday. As anyone knows, a company with even the bare minimum in security (let alone the Secret Service) is going to require your password to be some combination of upper and lower case letters, numbers, symbols, Egyptian Hieroglyphs and Runic Symbols. And then they make you change it every two weeks.

I think I've got part of this thing figured out (and this is pure speculation, no spoilers) - I think Wayward Pines is in some other timeline, either the distant past where the fence is keeping out Dinosaurs, or the distant future where the fence is keeping out the Zombie Apocalypse. That would explain why everyone seems to remember coming there from a different time, they're all getting zapped there somehow from different parts of their lives. And it explains how Ethan could have seen his wife and son in the hospital while they were still (seemingly) at home - we've been tricked into thinking the stuff going on outside Wayward Pines is happening at the same time whatever's happening to Ethan is going on. I also noticed Sheriff Pope's hair looked different when he pulled over Ethan's wife than it usually does when he's in WP.

Still don't know why whoever's running this place can't just tell everyone what's going on or why they have to follow these arbitrary "rules." That part still seems dumb. 

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 12

I think that the time line where Ethan woke up is different from when he disappeared.  Kate really is 12 years older.  Ethan has either been out/suspended animation/something for a long time or he has been re-booted a number of times and has never been able to "come around" to life in WP.  Remember Beverly said that she "always believed" him.  Like this wasn't the first time he woke up in the woods and stumbled into her bar.

The wife and kid have also been suspended somewhere for a while.  Their encounter with the sheriff and their "accident" happened twelve years ago.  Hence the dust on the car.

Why Ethan is special is still a mystery.  TPTB want him in town and keep giving him chances.  Really!  They know he tried to escape and he is still free to wander around.  And he's got to be a really bad secret agent if his time spent "on the run" consists of him going to Beverly's house and to the death house at 604.  The two most likely places for anyone to go looking for him.  Just stupid.

Since the entire town is being supplied in bulk from some sort of big warehouse, I imagine getting a new flavor of ice cream would be a big deal.  

For me, the show was less compelling this week than the previous 2 episodes.  

• Love 6

The point with the soft focus and differing hairdo is that Kate has visibly aged those twelve years.  It's not psychological manipulation.  Time has actively passed for Kate.

• Love 2

I think this is the type of show I would have been better off binge watching.  Ten weeks of head scratching is probably going to drive me nuts.

Definitely, especially since it feels slow atm and we're just waiting until the big twist happens, according to the interviews.

• Love 3
(edited)

The point with the soft focus and differing hairdo is that Kate has visibly aged those twelve years.  It's not psychological manipulation.  Time has actively passed for Kate.

Sorry, I worded my post a bit funny.  I believe that Kate really has been in Wayward Pines (I'm just going to use WP for short) for twelve years (her hair is much much longer now than it was when Ethan was interacting with her outside of WP).  But by my math, every day that Ethan's family spent looking for him equated to over four months in WP.  I'm not clear how long Ethan's wife and son had been trying to reconnect with him since he disappeared, but it had surely been more than a day.  So, at this point, Ethan has been a resident of WP for many months, but it sure doesn't seem like that.  Unless maybe as others have suggested, he had been asleep for awhile, or his perception of time is all messed up, or time moves differently for different people?  Why do I feel like the big reveal on this show is going to be a massive disappointment?

Edited by SonofaBiscuit
  • Love 1

Why do I feel like the big reveal on this show is going to be a massive disappointment?

Probably because it is with the way they've been hyping it up, that and not much has happened.  Most of the time it's Ethan running around like a bull in a china shop yelling at cartoon caricatures episode after episode, that's basically the show.

(edited)

But by my math, every day that Ethan's family spends looking for him equates to over four months in WP.  I'm not clear how long Ethan's wife and son have been trying to reconnect with him since he disappeared, but it's surely been more than a day.  So, at this point, Ethan has been a resident of WP for many months, but it sure doesn't seem like that.  Unless maybe as others have suggested, he's been asleep for a while, or his perception of time is all messed up, or time moves differently for different people?  Why do I feel like the big reveal on this show is going to be a massive disappointment?

But if I'm right about WP being in a different timeline then there's no correlation between the time Ethan arrived in WP and the time his wife and kid got there. They could have been searching for months or years, it wouldn't matter, they could be zapped (or whatever) to WP to a time before or after Ethan got there. We've just been assuming that the storyline outside WP has been happening concurrent to the storyline inside WP and I don't think that's true. So the doctor/scientist guy who told Ethan they needed someone like him and wanted him to stay isn't coming and going from this town, he's always been there, and the scenes we've seen where he's talking to the Secret Service guy outside WP took place in another timeline before he ultimately went to WP.

By the same token, Kate could have been zapped to WP right after Ethan was (or even before) but arrived there twelve years earlier.

One thing this story didn't really need, however, is the affair between Ethan and Kate and the additional angst of the extra-marital affair. I guess it serviced his wife's suspicion that he'd run off with a former lover but at this point it serves no purpose other than making Theresa wring her hands and be bitchy every time Ethan talks to Kate. Seems like there's enough inherent conflict going on with these characters without the standard soap opera trope.

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 4