Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Kiki620 said:

It's just as scary that they do the same thing with doctor's in the hospital system.

1 hour ago, nokat said:

Yes, it's way too common. We don't want to make waves, so we'll just make him/her someone else's problem. I think it might be improving, as in that there are better reporting systems in place. I'm not confident in that.

Its everywhere and every field no matter how big or small. The store which was a chain store I worked at had the same policy. An employee stealing? Send him to another store. A manager sexually harassing women employees? Send him to another store. Why? Mostly because the top store manager wanted to make sure he always looked good so he could get his bonuses. If the store looked good then it made him look good. Anything that made him look bad and there was hell to pay. Which was pretty much the policy of laid down by the chain. Harassing managers simply were transferred. The one we got had already been transferred many times, and when he got in trouble in our store he was transferred again. Eventually, one of employees harassed found that out and called the cops. Quite a few got in trouble for it. I'll never understand why it looks bad to fire an employee who is stealing from the store or sexually harassing employees. Those things are things that would make a company look good. And cheaper then paying out settlements later and/or being fired. But for some reason they don't see it that way. 

On 12/7/2020 at 5:58 PM, andromeda331 said:

I'll never understand why it looks bad to fire an employee who is stealing from the store or sexually harassing employees. Those things are things that would make a company look good.

But then the store, etc is immediately sued for wrongful termination. Same reasons teachers are passed.  Gotta PROVE the complaints, etc.  There was  a teacher in one of my buildings one time that had been to every school. Nothing bad enough to be fired for on a measurable scale, just a horrible teacher.  Sad but true.  (Scary about doctors!!)

Kind of like how we could sort of identify young kids likely to end up doing baaaad stuff later on. Not much we can do when they are 8. 

Lyon sisters case was awful, but fascinating to watch it played out.  The cousin's speech at the end was heart wrenching, too.

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 3
11 hours ago, SandyToes said:

But then the store, etc is immediately sued for wrongful termination. Same reasons teachers are passed.  Gotta PROVE the complaints, etc.  There was  a teacher in one of my buildings one time that had been to every school. Nothing bad enough to be fired for on a measurable scale, just a horrible teacher.  Sad but true.  (Scary about doctors!!)

It reminds me of the Forensic Files episode where one teacher accused another of harassing her, and it turned out she was doing it to herself.  At the end, it was revealed that she was still working for the same district, albeit at a different school.

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, smittykins said:

It reminds me of the Forensic Files episode where one teacher accused another of harassing her, and it turned out she was doing it to herself.  At the end, it was revealed that she was still working for the same district, albeit at a different school.

I remember that. Wasn't she actually caught on video tape doctoring her own coffee cup?

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Evil Lives Here:  Shadows of Death - "We Found Bonnie."

Anybody else catch it?

I knew as soon as the writing came up on the screen saying Aaron was going to excavate the yard what was going to happen.  

I think it's a blessing he had no memory at all of his mom.  I think it would be almost impossible for the brain to hold onto memories of a parent's murder at age 3 and then finding that parent's body 26 years later.  

I don't think his monster of a father will ever set foot outside of prison walls.  

• Love 7

I saw that episode, too, yeah. I think that story was also covered on a "Dateline" episode once. 

But yeah, how awful for poor Aaron to have such painful memories. The bit about how the only memory he had of his mom was holding part of her skull in his hands...good god. 

So eerie, too, the talk about that dream involving Bonnie at the beginning of the episode. It is weird how some people seem to just have that sense when something bad is happening to a loved one. 

• Love 8

Today ID Discovery has apparently relabeled a bunch of episodes and is running an all-day marathon, "Your Worst Nightmare Before Christmas."  

I'm recording all of them for future viewing just in case some of them are episodes I haven't yet seen.

Happy holidays, fellow posters 🥂

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Persnickety1 said:

Today ID Discovery has apparently relabeled a bunch of episodes and is running an all-day marathon, "Your Worst Nightmare Before Christmas."  

I'm recording all of them for future viewing just in case some of them are episodes I haven't yet seen.

Happy holidays, fellow posters 🥂

Happy holidays to all of you too!

• Love 7

"Homicide for the Holidays" is rerunning a marathon until 2 p.m. today (Central time).    Nothing says Happy Holidays like homicidal maniacs blasting people at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  

Many of the Homicide for the Holidays were relatives, or former relatives, and they knew they would get a lot of victims in the same place, to maximize the number of targets. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

"Homicide for the Holidays" is rerunning a marathon until 2 p.m. today (Central time).    Nothing says Happy Holidays like homicidal maniacs blasting people at Thanksgiving and Christmas.  

I’ve always wondered why there are so many homicides during the holidays.

• Love 3
On 12/25/2020 at 4:58 PM, mariah23 said:

I’ve always wondered why there are so many homicides during the holidays.

Heh.  Having just spent an especially trying holiday with my bunch, I'm wondering why there aren't more! 🤪

In other news, are there shows you DON'T or can't watch?  I have a hard time with American Monster - the one with all the old home movies. Partly because my home movies look so similar, and because I'm always trying to see the evil in the "monster."  I dunno.  Something about it just gets me.  I'm in for most of the others, thought!

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 6
46 minutes ago, SandyToes said:

Heh.  Having just spent an especially trying holiday with my bunch, I'm wondering why there aren't more! 🤪

I loved it on Thanksgiving this year, when the ID channel was showing shows that were all about crimes involving family members. "Evil In-Law", "Blood Relatives", "Evil Stepmothers", stuff like that. Either you could watch those and be reminded that your family could be a hell of a lot worse, or you could watch them and remind yourself why you don't interact with some of your family members more often, and be grateful for that 😛. Especially this year. 

In other news, are there shows you DON'T or can't watch?  I have a hard time with American Monster - the one with all the old home movies. Partly because my home movies look so similar, and because I'm always trying to see the evil in the "monster."  I dunno.  Something about it just gets me.  I'm in for most of the others, thought!

I don't mind that show, myself, though yeah, with some of the crimes involved, it does make watching the home movies all the more eerie. There was one episode that featured a teenage boy killing his entire family, and seeing the home movies of him when he was an innocent, adorable little baby, with his family gushing over him and holding him and playing with him, was deeply chilling. 

I'm trying to recall if there's been any shows that I can't watch at all. I know there's certainly been some stories featured on some shows that have disturbed the hell out of me. Especially if they involve children. And of course, there's the Dahmer/Bundy/Gein types of crimes, where the details are the sort that you really could've gone your whole life without knowing. 

• Love 5
17 hours ago, SandyToes said:

In other news, are there shows you DON'T or can't watch? 

I actually don't watch any of the shows where it's already known whodunnit and it's more of just a portrayal, so fortunately that rules out a lot of the shows with truly awful people!  

• Love 4

I can think of one that often leaves me frustrated and angry at the end, and yet I still watch it anyway: "Fear Thy Neighbor". So many idiots who like to think they're "tough badasses" when really they're just obnoxious jerks, and they either don't listen to their wives or the wives get involved and act like nosy busybodies, and way, WAY too many people using guns to resolve their problems with their neighbors, and putting children's lives in danger in the process. Apparently it's just too damn hard to talk things out or just, y'know, try and ignore each other or something. No, they gotta turn their neighborhood into a place for a shootout, like they're having a showdown at high noon or something. It's ridiculous. 

• Love 9

Watching evil lives here episode, " My sons prisoner." Well that kid was right, his mother, Shelly Lietz, is a pathetic loser! Too bad he didn't kill that stupid worthless bitch! 

She made him what he is. No discipline. Kid was an adult. Kick him out. Take weapons. This stupid bitch doesn't deserve to live. She killed those people. 

Not actually finished episode. She's so disgusting I had to shut it down. I'm assuming he killed at least 1 person.

• Love 1
On 12/27/2020 at 5:54 PM, SandyToes said:

In other news, are there shows you DON'T or can't watch?  I have a hard time with American Monster - the one with all the old home movies.

I don't watch cult shows, or that neighbor show, and some I don't like the description, maybe too brutal, and I'll skip.
I'm almost always up for video surveillance tape ones.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, auntjess said:

I'm almost always up for video surveillance tape ones.

I'm usually fascinated by these - the cases they can put together from seemingly nothing - just based on what surveillance tapes show.  Then, I freak out, about constantly being on surveillance.   Can't win!

Was excited to see Lt. Kenda mention he's back for a new show - but looks like it is on the pay-only version. Love the commercial, though!

• Love 4
23 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't watch the shows where they don't have the case solved.   Is it 'Disappeared' where the case is unsolved?  I might have it mixed up with another show.  

The cases on Disappeared were mostly unresolved, although there were a few exceptions; Tanya Rider comes to mind(her Jeep was found in a ravine after about a week, and she survived).  Others were solved after the broadcast.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
On 12/27/2020 at 3:54 PM, SandyToes said:

In other news, are there shows you DON'T or can't watch?  

I seem to go through phases with TV shows. But overall I avoid shows about murderous out of control neighbors and unsolved disappearances, and I have a low tolerance for shows about crimes against children. I was just now looking at tonight's over-the-air channel lineup. There are a few episodes on the Court TV Mystery Channel of a show called 35 Serial Killers The World Wants to Forget. TBH that's not a title that draws me to put it on my watch list, lol. 

• Love 6
29 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I was just now looking at tonight's over-the-air channel lineup. There are a few episodes on the Court TV Mystery Channel of a show called 35 Serial Killers The World Wants to Forget. TBH that's not a title that draws me to put it on my watch list, lol. 

I saw that on the lineup, too. I'm just amused by the title more than anything. "These are killers the world wants to forget...which is precisely why we'll do a series in which we talk about them."

• LOL 10
22 hours ago, auntjess said:

The Jane Doe Murders was a really good show.
Two hours, but I didn't fast-forward at all.  

I hope she does more cases! I really liked her (Yolanda McClary) on Cold Justice and was very happy to see her back on the small screen.  I did, however, fast forward - thru the commercials.

• Love 4
On 1/5/2021 at 10:06 AM, auntjess said:

The Jane Doe Murders was a really good show.
Two hours, but I didn't fast-forward at all.  

I have watched it a few time now. I loved it, but am perplexed as to why they didn't follow thru with an arrest.  The DNA match, plus all the circumstantial evidence imo would of been enough. Maybe they had a production deadline?, but you would think an arrest would be more important.

I love genetic genealogy.   I wonder why "they" haven't done a search on one of the biggest questions lingering, Who is Ted Bundys father? Maybe they have, but its still under wraps.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 1/8/2021 at 1:06 PM, Cherrio said:

I love genetic genealogy.   I wonder why "they" haven't done a search on one of the biggest questions lingering, Who is Ted Bundys father? Maybe they have, but its still under wraps.

I'll have to google this.  Was his father supposed to be a killer too?

• Love 1

Web of Lies - I'm not even to the end of the episode but I'm so outraged about how stupid this Lakeisha chick is.  What woman gets in some mans truck with her 3 children - then leaves them there to go see some person she's never met - only to be surprised when he disappears with them.  And this is AFTER the "cousin" had already disappeared with one of her children once.

• Love 11
8 hours ago, auntjess said:

The only thing I recall is the speculation that his grandfather was also his father.

There was a Bundy show on fairly recently, but I can't remember the name of it.  I think it was Reelz or maybe Oxygen, touting all new, shocking, etc. etc. but being the same old stuff. 

It came on after something I was watching and I wasn't really paying attention to it (I've been Bundied out for like 20 years), but I do remember them saying that DNA had been done and his grandfather was NOT the father.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 12/11/2020 at 9:32 AM, smittykins said:

That played out not far from me.  Could never figure out how the nutso teacher kept her job.  She was obviously mentally ill.

On 12/27/2020 at 5:54 PM, SandyToes said:

Feuding neighbor shows.  They create too much tension and I am too uncomfortable.  I physically feel ill.

• Love 8
On 1/9/2021 at 11:49 PM, auntjess said:

As Sile replied, it has been rumored that his grandfather may have been his actual father.  I must of missed the show where the DNA test was talked about though.   I am pretty sure no one has talked about whether or not a genetic genealogy had been done.  I would assume it has been since there are so many questions still unanswered.     Bundy could never talk honestly about his childhood, except during the last few days before he died and his mother did the same.  All she ever claimed is that it was a military man passing thru town sort of deal.  It has also been rumored it could of been a higher up in their church.    The only known part we know for sure is that she never wanted to keep the baby, but her father forced her to.  Her parents supposedly pretended to be Bundys parents and his mother his sister.  Supposedly he was told the truth by a cousin when he was a teen.    We also know that the father/grandfather was an abusive man and his wife had mental issues.  After Louise had Ted, unknown people in the family felt she should leave with Ted and move from Philly to Washington State where she had a cousin.  Lots of stories about that, but nothing concrete from Ted or Louise.

• Love 4
On 12/25/2020 at 2:22 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

In November and December, I was overdoing it on all the Christmas movies. So I would watch one sugary sweet Hallmark Christmas movie then balance it out w/ 1 or 2 “creepy murder shows” ( as my kids refer to them).  

• LOL 4
  • Love 3

Could someone help me out, please.  I was following the case on Court TV involving a mother who dropped her baby son on the floor and he subsequently died.  Last time I saw it was when the father admitted he got a urine sample from his son because he couldn't pass his parole urine test.  I remember the mother was {obviously} a nasty bitch on the stand. 

Thanx in advance.

Anyone watch the Night Stalker documentary on Netflix? I didn't realize all the horrible stuff he had done. The child molestations and things. Truly horrible. And I will never understand the dumbass followers he got. What the hell is wrong with people?

• Love 1

I’ve been taking a little break from true crime lately. I do drop by here occasionally.  I think I got over saturated with so many reruns.  Have ID Discovery or Oxygen gotten any new shows?

Edited by SunnyBeBe
15 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I’ve been taking a little break from true crime lately. I do drop by here occasionally.  I think I got over saturated with so many reruns.  Have ID Discovery or Oxygen gotten any new shows?

Tons of new shows on Oxygen!...Florida Man, Exhumed, An Unexpected Killer, and One Deadly Mistake.

• Love 2

Saw the detective on ID's new Atlanta Justice show say something I find astonishing (I don't remember if it was episode 3 or 4).  She was talking about the big new murder case she was on, and that in Atlanta PD, as soon as a new murder comes in, all the detectives drop whatever they are working on, including all their current cases, to help on the new case.  WTAF?  How on earth is that an efficient way to solve cases?

• Love 2
2 hours ago, LuvMyShows said:

Saw the detective on ID's new Atlanta Justice show say something I find astonishing (I don't remember if it was episode 3 or 4).  She was talking about the big new murder case she was on, and that in Atlanta PD, as soon as a new murder comes in, all the detectives drop whatever they are working on, including all their current cases, to help on the new case.  WTAF?  How on earth is that an efficient way to solve cases?

I think I heard that too.  All I can figure is that it’s so important for law enforcement to get as much evidence, number of leads, etc. as possible for the first 48 hrs.  (Sort of like the show with that title.)

• Love 7

My favorite show, ATL Homicide, is back with a new season on TV1.  These are tomorrow, 1/25.
This is the one with David Quinn and Vinnie Velasquez, retired homicide cops from Atlanta.
I never feel the need to fast forward--my ultimate accolade.

9:00PM

ATL HOMICIDE

COTTON FIELD CONFESSION: LADEDDRICK LOVE

-10:00PM

ATL HOMICIDE

MEAN ASS LANISHA

+

On a warm summer morning in June of 2014, Darius Bottoms leaves his friend’s apartment after a fun-filled night of video games. When he gets into his car and starts driving away, he notices two figures standing in front of and behind his car. They start firing gunshots and Darius is dead on scene. Quinn and Vince are designated the case and after figuring the culprits were gang-related, they realize this whole thing could be a case of mistaken identity.

11:00PM

ATL HOMICIDE

CAUGHT ON TAPE

+

One early morning at around 12am, Jerrick Jackson and his fiancé were coming home from a night out. When they pulled into their driveway,

• Love 1
On 1/24/2021 at 11:05 AM, auntjess said:

My favorite show, ATL Homicide, is back with a new season on TV1.  These are tomorrow, 1/25.
This is the one with David Quinn and Vinnie Velasquez, retired homicide cops from Atlanta.
I never feel the need to fast forward--my ultimate accolade.

That was so heartbreaking. In the wrong place at the wrong time. A good guy going about his life.

• Love 5

Good-by Lisa Montgary--she cuts  a fetus from a mother under pretext of wanting to buy a pup.  The mother was knifed and butchered. She  was executed on Friday.  Good riddance to one if the scumbags ( I've cross in life (and than the former Mr. Cookie) we had hit 3 hots and a hot her for over 10 years).

• Love 8
On 1/26/2021 at 5:39 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

Good-by Lisa Montgary--she cuts  a fetus from a mother under pretext of wanting to buy a pup.  The mother was knifed and butchered. She  was executed on Friday.  Good riddance to one if the scumbags ( I've cross in life (and than the former Mr. Cookie) we had hit 3 hots and a hot her for over 10 years).

Yes, that's one person who certainly deserved to die.     May she burn in hell.   I'm disgusted at the number of people that didn't want her executed. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 7
17 hours ago, One Tough Cookie said:

She was actually executed on January 13th. Good bye and good riddance!!

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Some people are just opposed to the death penalty, period. I'm one of them. 

I have seen people give forgiveness after a family member was murdered. I have a lot of respect for them. I watch these shows because I have felt the grief. I'd rather let the anger go and not hold hate in. It's difficult.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, nokat said:

I have seen people give forgiveness after a family member was murdered. I have a lot of respect for them. I watch these shows because I have felt the grief. I'd rather let the anger go and not hold hate in. It's difficult.

I'm always amazed they can do that. I know I could never do that. I always wonder how their able to do that.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, andromeda331 said:

I'm always amazed they can do that. I know I could never do that. I always wonder how their able to do that.

I think most people just want justice, and just getting an evil person away. I like the shows where justice is finally found, even after decades. Their faces shown in mugshots.

• Love 6

I like this quote from Calvin Miller. "Decision is the key to destiny. God, can you be merciful and send me off to hell and lock me up forever? God: No Pilgrim, I will not send you there, but if you chose to go there, I will never lock you out." 

I keep that in mind. I'm not the final judge. Mercy can happen if you are truly want it.

• Love 3