Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

On 3/1/2021 at 9:07 PM, renatae said:

I'm watching "Evil Lives Here" Was It Worth Killing For? The father is an abusive monster, but the mother started grooming her son to kill him when he was only 8 years old! She convinced him this was his responsibility and even kept asking him to come up with ways not to get caught. It gets much worse, if that's imaginable. I won't commit any more spoilers, but it's chilling.

Regarding the execrable Discovery+, Court TV also has reruns, and I think the new and old Forensic Files. We have Comcast, and we can still get many of the series' episodes the next day and beyond as usual. No intention of subscribing. I hope they flop.

Part of that like was for using execrable in a sentence, and yes, I hope Discovery + flops.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
On 2/20/2021 at 6:16 PM, LexieLily said:

I don't know if this is the right place to bring this up but - Investigation Discovery. Did all their new content move to the streaming station/app or whatever Discovery Plus is? I don't see any new shows but Evil Lives Here coming up on the network and even that is only two episodes. I'll miss watching all of the shows but I'm not paying more money for a stupid streaming app.

I haven't read all of the comments so I might be late to the game here but wanted to chime in.

I was watching the season premiere of "Fear Thy Neighbor" the other night, and on the bottom right of my screen was a notification that the new season of FTN would be available on Discovery+.  Apparently they dangled out the premiere to get people interested but the rest of the episodes will be thru D+.  

I also noticed yesterday the new season of "Evil Lives Here" appears to only be available on D+.  There are 3 new episodes for viewing on D+.  

Anyway, it kind of sounds like some of the more popular shows might be shuttled over to D+.  I've got 6 free months of it through my Verizon Unlimited, but I'm sure I'll pay the $6/month just for ID Discovery and TLC.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Persnickety1 said:

I haven't read all of the comments so I might be late to the game here but wanted to chime in.

I was watching the season premiere of "Fear Thy Neighbor" the other night, and on the bottom right of my screen was a notification that the new season of FTN would be available on Discovery+.  Apparently they dangled out the premiere to get people interested but the rest of the episodes will be thru D+.  

I also noticed yesterday the new season of "Evil Lives Here" appears to only be available on D+.  There are 3 new episodes for viewing on D+.  

Anyway, it kind of sounds like some of the more popular shows might be shuttled over to D+.  I've got 6 free months of it through my Verizon Unlimited, but I'm sure I'll pay the $6/month just for ID Discovery and TLC.  

I've noticed fewer episodes of some favorites.  They do dangle that streaming service, but I'd rather just stop watching.

• Love 9
7 hours ago, auntjess said:

They should do one on trashy shows, they would really be me, though I like the murders.

Finally, he's gone... as we watch our murder shows. That SNL clip is so me. I got caught with "Deadly Women" on the DVR and he was like what the hell are you watching. Nothing, haha.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
(edited)

Netlix has a new original three (not four as I originally posted) part series called "Murder Among The Mormons," that I've just finished watching. It's a documentary about the Mark Hofmann case from the late 1980's. I've seen the case covered in a few true crime shows and I think I read a book about it a long time ago.

This series kept my attention. I think it's well done. There are appearances by several of the people involved in the investigation and prosecution, as well as by some of Hofmann's associates, and his ex-wife. Interesting to see them as they appeared back in the day and now, 30+ years later. 

ETA more thoughts. Not sure they need a spoiler tag but will do it anyway.

Spoiler

I wasn't sure the story could stand up to a three episode treatment, but I thought it flowed pretty well. We heard more from the investigators and prosecutors than I'd seen on any documentary before (or at least that I remembered, lol). There was actually some video taken of the investigation team in their "war room" as they worked on the case, before arresting Hofmann.

We were shown how they at first were stumped as to what Hofmann's motives would be. What surprised me was how Hofmann's much publicized forged documents had been declared genuine, and apparently the police didn't look beyond that at first. Then they decided to review literally every piece of evidence they'd collected to see what they had missed. That's when they found a receipt from an engraving company in Denver for "Mike Hansen," and followed up. They called the place and got a copy of the invoice which showed that "Hanson" had purchased an engraving/printing plate for 19th Century LDS currency. That was the string that started unraveling Hofmann's frauds which were indeed staggering in their scope and audacity. There's a lot more that I won't try to describe here, but the investigators had those documents reassessed and the forgeries were then discovered and the whole thing then made sense.

Finally, there was more insight into Hofmann himself. I'd thought maybe he was a genuine document dealer who'd sort of slid into forgery. But it seems he set out to con the world and get rich, and despite his outward life as a member of the LDS church, had become an atheist. So he was a quiet little sociopath or maybe psychopath all along. Disturbing stuff, and I'm fine with him being in prison for life.

Edited by Jeeves
I watched it too late at night; lost track of how many episodes there were! LOL
  • Useful 3
  • Love 7
(edited)

I really enjoyed Murder Among the Mormons. They did a good job of building suspense.

Spoiler

As soon as they mentioned that Hofmann was "discovering" all these rare documents seemingly out of nowhere, I knew they were probably fake. But then the series veered away from that topic, and I forgot about it. I was 100% ready to pin the bombings on LDS church leadership until it became clear that Hofmann was the guy.

As a historian, it was absolutely chilling to see how well Hofmann did this - not to mention the question of how many of his forgeries are still out there.

Edited by IndianPaintbrush
  • Love 7

I just read about a woman in NC, who is adopted, and she did a DNA test, and had some research done.     She found out her biological father is William Bradford Bishop, the family annihilator, who murdered his family in 1976.   He's still on the F.B.I.'s most wanted.  His story has been featured on just about every true crime show.    

https://www.yahoo.com/news/adopted-woman-nc-learns-biological-203117756.html

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 3/3/2021 at 7:55 PM, nokat said:

Finally, he's gone... as we watch our murder shows. That SNL clip is so me. I got caught with "Deadly Women" on the DVR and he was like what the hell are you watching. Nothing, haha.

We get a lot of Forensic Files reruns during the day, which I watch a lot. One day, he came in and didn't immediately switch channels. Next thing I notice, he shushes me during FF because he's actually interested, lol. He's been watching several of these shows with me lately, although he'll probably never admit it to anyone.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, renatae said:

We get a lot of Forensic Files reruns during the day, which I watch a lot. One day, he came in and didn't immediately switch channels. Next thing I notice, he shushes me during FF because he's actually interested, lol. He's been watching several of these shows with me lately, although he'll probably never admit it to anyone.

It's something on  that we can both kind of ignore. I've probably seen every way this person got murdered.

• LOL 2
  • Love 5
(edited)
9 minutes ago, nokat said:

It's something on  that we can both kind of ignore. I've probably seen every way this person got murdered.

9 minutes ago, nokat said:

I also say oh oh god to my morning pooh.

Edited by nokat
thank you for delivering this burden from me.

You know the few shows I can still watch on ID are almost ruined by the incessant commercials for Discovery+.  It's like they are trying to sell me timeshares or something. The more I see them (or ff through them) the more I hate that streaming service.

When I started watching true crime shows it was pretty much AandE and the mainstays of Cold Case Files and...I can't believe I don't recall the name of the primary show I watched back then. It was an hour....?  Anyway, they had some cases that I keep wishing would get the ID show treatment but I never ever see them revisit those cases. 

There was one where a man kidnapped a fourteen year old and held him in his home on the second story and smashed his foot Misery-style to keep him hobbled and the kid broke out and fell two stories and crawled away to safety finally.  I saw this about twenty years ago and it made an impression on me. And there was another one located in Rhode Island maybe where a man kidnapped and killed a wife,husband, and five year old daughter to cover up some financial crime. He actually went to the kid's school and checked her out and took her so he could murder her too and complete the family murder plot. Again, an impression on me.  And there was one where a man remarried a teenager who was way pregnant and she got her friend to disguise herself as the 'aunt' of the man's seven year old son and check him out of school so they could murder him and eliminate the competition for the man's love and redirect it all to her and her unborn child. She was like eighteen or something.

These cases were awful but fascinating and I wish they would do a more in depth treatment of them on Oxygen or ID (without dumping them on Disco+ where I'll never see them). 

• Love 12
1 minute ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

There was one where a man kidnapped a fourteen year old and held him in his home on the second story and smashed his foot Misery-style to keep him hobbled and the kid broke out and fell two stories and crawled away to safety finally.  I saw this about twenty years ago and it made an impression on me. 

Oh, god, yes, I remember that case! That was wild. That kid's escape was amazing.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

When I started watching true crime shows it was pretty much AandE and the mainstays of Cold Case Files and...I can't believe I don't recall the name of the primary show I watched back then.

City Confidential?  The Crime & Investigation channel aired repeats(although it seemed to be the same six or so episodes over and over), but that’s another channel I don’t get anymore.

• Love 1

City Confidential was one of the three, yes, but not the primary one I liked to watch. I keep thinking the show started with the letter A like American something but that doesn't necessarily sound right either. My three mainstays were Cold Case, City Confidential, and the one I can't remember the name of. It was a one hour show but might have had more than one case, like maybe two, on each episode. Cold Case had three and sometimes four cases and City Confidential had one, but this show had perhaps two?  This is really bugging me. Forensic Files was too short and dry for me, I liked the longer shows.

There was also a case where a black serial killer in the Midwest kidnapped, tortured, and killed women in his basement and then dumped their bodies. The thing that stuck out was his little boy leading police into the basement, on camera, to show them where the women had been kept and hung up for torture, etc. I questioned the morality of filming a little boy (five or six years old) giving them a tour of his father's torture basement, but it was riveting. I never see that case on any of the shows they do now.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

City Confidential was one of the three, yes, but not the primary one I liked to watch. I keep thinking the show started with the letter A like American something but that doesn't necessarily sound right either. My three mainstays were Cold Case, City Confidential, and the one I can't remember the name of. It was a one hour show but might have had more than one case, like maybe two, on each episode..

Could the one you're thinking of be "American Justice"? 

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Could the one you're thinking of be "American Justice"? 

Yes!!! Thank you!!  I kept saying American....Experience. Which is clearly not it. That was blocking me from remembering the real name.  I feel better now.  🙂

15 hours ago, Annber03 said:
15 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

There was one where a man kidnapped a fourteen year old and held him in his home on the second story and smashed his foot Misery-style to keep him hobbled and the kid broke out and fell two stories and crawled away to safety finally.  I saw this about twenty years ago and it made an impression on me. 

Oh, god, yes, I remember that case! That was wild. That kid's escape was amazing.

Wasn't he remarkable?  I am not sure I could have done what he did to get out of there and then crawl to safety.  I hope his life turned out well for him over time. Poor kid.

• Love 8
On 3/5/2021 at 10:55 AM, IndianPaintbrush said:

I really enjoyed Murder Among the Mormons. They did a good job of building suspense.

I had seen a show, not a murder show per se, on the forgeries, a few years back.

17 hours ago, Andyourlittledog2 said:

You know the few shows I can still watch on ID are almost ruined by the incessant commercials for Discovery+.  It's like they are trying to sell me timeshares or something. The more I see them (or ff through them) the more I hate that streaming service.

Sometimes I'll have closed captions on, if someone has an accent, the D+ ads cover the captions sometimes.  They were doing that on Bog Bodies.

• Love 6
(edited)

Sometimes I wish they'd do a little more background into WHY these "monsters" do what they do.  The early seasons of Criminal Minds used to kind of do that- the profile of the fictional killer, to see what made them do the things they did.  Wish we could have a little insight into the minds of the folks on some of these shows.    Some of them are just mean and then things get out of hand, but sometimes I really wonder what happened in that person's life to cause him/her to murder children, etc.  Might help ease the nagging fear that it could happen to me, or my kids, or my neighbors....

Edited by SandyToes
  • Love 8
(edited)

So is all of ID's new programming being syphoned only to discovery +? I thought it was more of a hulu situation where they have originals and you can stream shows from the network the next day. I feel like I check ID and there's never anything new in primetime, unless it's Evil Lives Here, 48 Hours, or a random show they relabel with an arbitrary title so it will be marked as new. (like "Masked Intruders" the other night had the usual doctored 1997 graphics intro and then I finally placed the Twisted Sisters theme at the commercial break). That one (about the woman who stole her cousin's husband and then killed his 7-year-old and attempted to kill his toddler daughter) was very sad, because it's not often that small kids get caught in the crosshairs of an affair. Not to mention how fucked up it is that she was able to murder not only kids in her family, but kids she helped babysit. And he had already stayed with her after his wife found out and dumped him! You already won! But she was pouty he wouldn't move out of state with her due to the kids and decided killing them was the obvious solution. Who would even make that leap?

Evil Lives Here was really rough. I can't imagine the horror of Corey Beininger's childhood. The starving, the beatings, the sleep deprivation, and all the bizarre recordings she took of him. How did the father not notice his 4-5 year old covered in bruises? Did he never dress him? Based on his appearance in the police interview, I had assumed the murder took place when Corey was between 11 and 14 (obviously still awful), but then Corey referenced it being 10 years since the murder during his senior year of high school, which means he shot him at 7 or 8. That makes me side eye his dad a hell of a lot more. Judith was a monster and this network is a testament to people refusing to admit they're married to monsters, but the notion of "a rift" between him and his father stuck out to me when I realized how young Corey was at the time, especially during the water incident. Screaming at your 7-year-old that you wish he'd never been born because he splashed you with water is beyond the pale. He certainly didn't deserve to die, but he didn't sound like a prize, either. I think Corey's guilt has understandably caused him to overromanticize his dad. It sounds like Corey's grandparents were the only ones invested in raising him, although you would think they would have pushed harder to reconnect with him after the murder. Every adult in his life really failed him at every opportunity. And where was Judith's daughter in all this?

The saddest part is, if the police had pieced everything together right after the murder, his testimony would've been much more powerful and taken much more seriously as a child, but because he was 18+ by the time it went to trial, Judith's scumbag legal team succeeded in casting doubt. What a load of horseshit that she was able to enter an Alfred plea AND was reduced to 10 years from a life sentence! I cannot believe her case was successfully appealed and she'll be out walking around in 2 years. Poor Corey should move to another country.

From a pure legality standpoint, I found it interesting that there's apparently an age and/or circumstantial threshold where the police would be willing to totally handwave intentional homicide, although I'm guessing the outcome might've been different if Corey weren't white.

Edited by SnarkEnthusiast
  • Love 7
On 3/8/2021 at 1:20 PM, SnarkEnthusiast said:

So is all of ID's new programming being syphoned only to discovery +?

Last night I went over to D+ to look for a new episode of Fear Thy Neighbor.

What did I find?  Web of Lies trending.  It's usually one of my favorite ID Discovery shows, except for last season was pretty lackluster.

I was intrigued so I clicked on it and found an entire new season of Web of Lies.  It apparently dropped on March 8, 2021, to D+ (season 7, 10 episodes).  

I never even saw a promo for the new season on regular ID Discovery.  

I've watched the first 2 episodes and they were pretty good.  I'm going to try to watch the rest of them today.  

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Persnickety1 said:

What did I find?  Web of Lies trending.  It's usually one of my favorite ID Discovery shows, except for last season was pretty lackluster.

I was intrigued so I clicked on it and found an entire new season of Web of Lies.  It apparently dropped on March 8, 2021, to D+ (season 7, 10 episodes).  

I've watched the first 2 episodes and they were pretty good.  I'm going to try to watch the rest of them today.  

Thank you!!  So I took a look and saw that just below the Trending row is the Featured row, and apparently there is a new season of See No Evil, as well as a new show called Where Murder Lies.  

• Love 3

Does anyone watch the Aurora Teagarden murder mystery movies on the Hallmark Mysteries Channel?  Part of the ongoing plot is that there is a Murder Club that studies true crime, and the newest movie had the Club learning about Sante Kimes...and I was like, I know who she is!!  So apparently the club is studying 'real' true crime, rather than made-up crimes just for the movies.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4

I'm watching more Oxygen and TV1 shows now, as far as crime shows go.
Also, HLN and Weather Channel have them sometimes.
I'm watching more plane crashes and ship sinkings, and miscellaneous disasters.

• Love 5
On 3/14/2021 at 10:28 PM, LuvMyShows said:

Thank you!!  So I took a look and saw that just below the Trending row is the Featured row, and apparently there is a new season of See No Evil, as well as a new show called Where Murder Lies.  

Pisses me off—See No Evil is one of my favs. But I have no extra $ for streaming right now. Hopefully they’ll move to regular ID at some point. 

• Love 9
On 3/15/2021 at 6:20 PM, auntjess said:

I'm watching more plane crashes and ship sinkings, and miscellaneous disasters.

I'm hooked on Smithsonian's Air Disasters, but I'll probably never fly again!

It's been a while since I've watched ID Disc. and I refuse to pay extra for "Disc. Plus"

• Love 7
On 3/5/2021 at 4:25 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

There are two seasons of Murdertown on Amazon Prime which deals with true crime in the UK.  It looks pretty good and has the added advantage that it is not in danger of being snatched away by Discovery+.  20 episodes ripe for viewing. 

I watched a couple of episodes. What drove me crazy was the "narrator" DRIVING whilst narrating.  Huh?!  Distracted me!  I did like how when they do the written messages on the screen they have a sound to alert me. I'm often "computing" as I watch and usually have to continually back up and see what was written on the screen. So I appreciate that.  Like that they tied the "beginning" story to the main story.  Good forensics and use of updated technology.

• Love 5
13 hours ago, SandyToes said:

I watched a couple of episodes. What drove me crazy was the "narrator" DRIVING whilst narrating.  Huh?!  Distracted me!  I did like how when they do the written messages on the screen they have a sound to alert me. I'm often "computing" as I watch and usually have to continually back up and see what was written on the screen. So I appreciate that.  Like that they tied the "beginning" story to the main story.  Good forensics and use of updated technology.

Oh Lord, the driving! That was a bit interesting at first, but every. damn. episode, there she is at the wheel, talking to the camera as she drives. I'm hoping to hell they are actually towing her car and she's not navigating through traffic while filming. I've watched some episodes of this and may not continue because of that driving thing. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I've watched some episodes of this and may not continue because of that driving thing. 

I know, right?!   What purpose does it serve, other than to freak us out that she's on the road! I guess she's traveling to each Murdertown..... 🙄

• LOL 1
  • Love 3

Did anyone catch the 48 Hours last night, "What Ever Happened to Mary Day?"

I don't want to post any spoilers here because this case has more twists and turns and WTF moment than anything I've seen in a while.  

Here's a link to an article about Mary Day that contains spoilers.  

If you love a good mystery, I'd highly recommend giving it a watch.

Article

• Love 4
19 hours ago, auntjess said:

Dateline on ID has one of my favorite murder cases on on Monday 4/5, 2 parts noon and 1PM ET.
It's the Canadian colonel.  (That;s in the description, anyway.)

Thank you for the heads up.  I think that, next to Jeff McDonald, this is one of the most fascinating cases ever.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
On 3/14/2021 at 10:54 AM, Persnickety1 said:

I REFUSE to pay money for whatever Discovery Plus is and it annoys me to no end that because I'm not going to pay for it I'm not going to see any new shows. What purpose does this serve other than to piss off regular/loyal viewers of ID?

• Love 11
12 hours ago, LexieLily said:

I REFUSE to pay money for whatever Discovery Plus is and it annoys me to no end that because I'm not going to pay for it I'm not going to see any new shows. What purpose does this serve other than to piss off regular/loyal viewers of ID?

Tomorrow is a new to cable episode of See No Evil. It's dated 2/9/21 but fortunately is marked as NEW so that the DVR picked it up. I guess that we will get new episodes after they appear on Disc +. Here's hoping.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
32 minutes ago, Schnickelfritz said:

Tomorrow is a new to cable episode of See No Evil. It's dated 2/9/21 but fortunately is marked as NEW so that the DVR picked it up. I guess that we will get new episodes after they appear on Disc +. Here's hoping.

I just looked it up to record it, thanks! Mine is dated 4/7/21 and called season 7, episode 2. Week after next is season seven, episode 3. Is season 7 the newest season on Discovery Plus?

• Love 2
On 1/29/2021 at 9:23 PM, nokat said:

I hate to say it, but I think they just don't want to bother. As in they're an adult, sometimes people just leave. Without a car, a wallet/purse, with kids they love left behind? A "loved one" saying oh, they left to go to some other state, or ran off with their new boyfriend/girlfriend. Hell, they could be standing with a shovel near a fresh mound of dirt sometimes, and detectives will be all okey dokey then.

I agree.  They just don't want to bother doing their job.  I don't know anyone who just up and leaves besides adventure types, and even they let someone know where they are going and when they should be back.

• Love 5
On 3/5/2021 at 8:23 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I just read about a woman in NC, who is adopted, and she did a DNA test, and had some research done.     She found out her biological father is William Bradford Bishop, the family annihilator, who murdered his family in 1976.   He's still on the F.B.I.'s most wanted.  His story has been featured on just about every true crime show.    

https://www.yahoo.com/news/adopted-woman-nc-learns-biological-203117756.html

Yikes.  I wonder if she wishes she hadn't taken that test after all?

• Love 5
On 3/6/2021 at 12:49 AM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

When I started watching true crime shows it was pretty much AandE and the mainstays of Cold Case Files and...I can't believe I don't recall the name of the primary show I watched back then. It was an hour....?  Anyway, they had some cases that I keep wishing would get the ID show treatment but I never ever see them revisit those cases. 

There was one where a man kidnapped a fourteen year old and held him in his home on the second story and smashed his foot Misery-style to keep him hobbled and the kid broke out and fell two stories and crawled away to safety finally.  I saw this about twenty years ago and it made an impression on me. And there was another one located in Rhode Island maybe where a man kidnapped and killed a wife,husband, and five year old daughter to cover up some financial crime. He actually went to the kid's school and checked her out and took her so he could murder her too and complete the family murder plot. Again, an impression on me.  And there was one where a man remarried a teenager who was way pregnant and she got her friend to disguise herself as the 'aunt' of the man's seven year old son and check him out of school so they could murder him and eliminate the competition for the man's love and redirect it all to her and her unborn child. She was like eighteen or something.

These cases were awful but fascinating and I wish they would do a more in depth treatment of them on Oxygen or ID (without dumping them on Disco+ where I'll never see them). 

Holy Buckets that's a lot to take in!  Those despicable people probably went on to live a nice life.  Bastards!  I hope they didn't though.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ApplesandPears said:

Holy Buckets that's a lot to take in!  Those despicable people probably went on to live a nice life.  Bastards!  I hope they didn't though.

I love modern science and DNA that can get these bastards, even after decades.

• Love 6