Type keyword(s) to search

General True Crime Shows

Jaded
  • Start Topic

(edited)
On 6/26/2021 at 11:56 AM, LuvMyShows said:

A new season of Cold Justice starting on Oxygen in July!!

Oh really..I’ve been watching some recent Cold Justice episodes.  I thought they were new.  I searched around here for a thread on Cold Justice, but couldn’t find it. I’m almost certain I’ve read one before.   I had written off the show due to the improper handling of cases by Kelly Seigler. (Not those featured on Cold Justice.) She really did mess up, but I have decided to forgive and move forward.  I won’t hold  that against someone forever.  Looking forward to the new shows.  I think they are interesting.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I've watched Web of Lies, and to me the Matusiewicz family doesn't even qualify as human. They are some inbred disgusting creatures that I hope rot together. Yes, I have feelings about these monsters.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

That story was utterly horrifying. They should've spent WAY more time in jail for the kidnapping. Christine didn't see her kids for nearly two freaking years. They had to get the U.S. Marshals and Interpol involved in order to bring them back home to her. How does that not deserve a significantly stiffer prison sentence? Especially since, judging from the description of how they looked when they returned home, they weren't being taken care of in any decent way. 

And they should've had every single last one of their guns permanently removed from their home before and/or immediately following their release from prison, and some kind of way to keep tabs on them or something, in case they tried to obtain more weapons somehow. There is no reason whatsoever that Thomas should've been able to get into that courthouse and do what he did. 

I also find it incredibly disturbing how many people they were able to rope into this ruse. A sister-in-law and friends, okay, that explains that (though it doesn't make it any less creepy), and that woman who was talking to David, well, she clearly had issues already, so that explains why it was easy to manipulate her. 

But how did they manage to get that random real estate agent involved? Didn't they ever question why they were taking all those photos? 

Such an awful, awful story. I feel so bad for those poor children. I hope they can reconnect again someday. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5

They did everything they could to destroy her before they murdered her. Just a disgusting family. They claim it was for the kids. Really, you remorseless ass?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, nokat said:

They claim it was for the kids. Really, you remorseless ass?

Right? It never, ever ceases to amaze me how people in these kinds of nasty custody battles always think, "I'll kill them, and then I'll get the kids!" Well, guess what, you'll NEVER get custody of them now, 'cause you're in jail for the rest of your life for murder, so uh, great planning there, you fucking dumbasses? 

But yeah, the whole, "I'm doing this for the kids!" argument is always complete and total bullshit in these situations. No, it's all about their need for control and sticking it to the person(s) they're angry with. If these people gave even half a shit about these children like they claim they do, they wouldn't put them through this kind of hell. You don't do things like this to people you supposedly love and care about. 

And I normally don't believe in the whole "People who commit suicide are selfish" mindset, because I don't know what's going on in someone's mind in those moments and I don't think it's my place to judge. 

But in the case of Thomas, he's a fucking coward. He took himself out because he couldn't handle being caught and going to jail. These people refused to take a shred of responsibility for any of the awful things they did. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
2 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

If these people gave even half a shit about these children like they claim they do, they wouldn't put them through this kind of hell. You don't do things like this to people you supposedly love and care about. 

Yes! If you cared you wouldn't take out a parent, and then going to prison yourself. Real good for the children. It's nothing to do with the children but control like you said.

• Love 5

The Matusiewicz family is absolutely disgusting. I was horrified watching the entire episode. Christine did not deserve anything they did to her. The grandmother's online rant was so delusional I am shocked anyone believed it. That family is so twisted. I just wonder if they think it was worth it. They did not get the children. Christine did not either. Their poor sister broke my heart when she talked about the last time she saw her sisters.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
(edited)
On 6/29/2021 at 11:00 PM, Annber03 said:

Right? It never, ever ceases to amaze me how people in these kinds of nasty custody battles always think, "I'll kill them, and then I'll get the kids!" Well, guess what, you'll NEVER get custody of them now, 'cause you're in jail for the rest of your life for murder, so uh, great planning there, you fucking dumbasses? 

But yeah, the whole, "I'm doing this for the kids!" argument is always complete and total bullshit in these situations. No, it's all about their need for control and sticking it to the person(s) they're angry with. If these people gave even half a shit about these children like they claim they do, they wouldn't put them through this kind of hell. You don't do things like this to people you supposedly love and care about. 

And I normally don't believe in the whole "People who commit suicide are selfish" mindset, because I don't know what's going on in someone's mind in those moments and I don't think it's my place to judge. 

But in the case of Thomas, he's a fucking coward. He took himself out because he couldn't handle being caught and going to jail. These people refused to take a shred of responsibility for any of the awful things they did. 

Yes, you know he didn't love her and he didn't love his kids. He was just mad that she had the gall to leave him and take his property with her. To guys like him, the kids are individual people with their own wants and needs, they are property.

Edited by geekgirl921
  • Love 1
On 7/2/2021 at 9:35 AM, SunnyBeBe said:

Even though there is usually no resolution on Disappeared, I still like those shows. I wonder what happened to Rico Harris featured today.  He was 6’9 and 300 pounds.  Not that easy to blend in unnoticed.  
https://www.distractify.com/p/what-happened-to-rico-harris

I listened to a podcast on Mr. Harris, it was really sad, if I remember correctly he was having issues with drugs which were causing some paranoia, among other issues. It was just so bizarre that someone like him could just vanish without a trace.

I've been addicted to the Charley Project website, (charleyproject.org) lately. While most of the ones I've read up on are victims of foul play there are several I looked at where the person just disappeared without a trace, where it seems like they just walked away from their lives. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, BexKeps said:

I listened to a podcast on Mr. Harris, it was really sad, if I remember correctly he was having issues with drugs which were causing some paranoia, among other issues. It was just so bizarre that someone like him could just vanish without a trace.

I've been addicted to the Charley Project website, (charleyproject.org) lately. While most of the ones I've read up on are victims of foul play there are several I looked at where the person just disappeared without a trace, where it seems like they just walked away from their lives. 

Yes, it’s a mystery. I even thought that perhaps he got confused and walked away into a desolate area and perished due to exposure or thirst, but no remains were ever found.  There is a chance he’s still alive.  I hope he or someone comes forward. I wonder if his girlfriend has moved on with her life.  

• Love 3
On 6/21/2021 at 12:41 PM, Andyourlittledog2 said:

They were awful awful people and it pains me to know that they learned nothing and suffered no consequences for killing that man.

Amazingly, he survived the shooting. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)

Man, TIL DEATH Do Us PART......I’m trying to figure out why a woman struggles to get pregnant with a second child when her husband is violent and the marriage is in shambles.   Do people really believe another child will make things right?  I wonder if it ever works.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 1

Did anyone watch Signs of a Psychopath last night? They were both creepy but in the second one (which I am pretty sure was a repeat) along with the creepy guy, we got to listen to his creepy girlfriend laugh with him in jail while he was waiting for his resentencing hearing. She was just creepy as he was!!

• Love 2

Yeah, they were both repeats, I remember seeing them before.

But YES, everything with that phone call with the girlfriend was...yikes. I was sitting here like, "Either she's doing a really good job of playing along with his crap or someone might want to start keeping an eye on her, too." And since there was no indication that she was just playing along to help with the case or whatever, well... Course, the fact she's in a relationship with a murderer also pretty much tells us that she doesn't seem all that bothered by that stuff, too. 

I loved the way the prosecutor called him out on his phony attempts at being all remorseful on the stand, and reminded him that, oh, yeah, phone calls are recorded when you're in jail, dumbass

• Love 5

Jesus, this episode of "Evil Lives Here: Shadows of Death" that's on right now is just so incredibly heartbreaking and horrifying. Those poor, poor children. And poor Lovetta, too. 

On 7/22/2021 at 10:05 AM, non sequitur said:

I've just started Relentless on Discovery +, after reading minor spoilers. Not sure what to think about the family or the filmmaker to be honest.

I got about an episode into it, and gave it up. Based on what I watched, I think the mother is full of sh*t, and I'm not sure what the heck the filmmaker thinks she's doing.

I'm not gonna waste my time and attention watching a bunch of lying and/or deluded wackos running around in circles for however many episodes there are of this show. 

• Love 3

One of the recent Dateline: Secrets Uncovered episodes was very interesting.  It was called True Lies (original Dateline broadcast may have been in 2015), and was about the murder of Diane Kyne, and the prime suspects were her son Kevin and husband William (step-father to Kevin).  They were the only ones home when she was murdered, and each man immediately pointed the finger at the other.  Kevin went on trial, and had this look on his face in court that was sort of smugly smarmy, and he was a sh*t son a lot of the time.  But William flat out lied to the cops at the start of the investigation and I believe that his first wife died in a suspicious situation.  I still cannot decide who I think did it. 

Another recent episode was called The Evil to Come (original Dateline broadcast may also have been in 2015), and was about the murder of businesswoman Peggy Nadell.  It looked so much like her daughter Suzanne was guilty, including having said things that just seemed like what a guilty person would say, but it ended up being the daughter-in-law Diane.  At any rate, what was interesting to me was that one of the people who worked on the case was a cell phone records expert, who did a deep dive into all the cell phone records of all the people closest to the case.  Usually it seems like it's the detectives on the case who do the cell phone analysis, but this was the first I'd heard of someone whose job it is to do that sort of analysis.

• Love 4

New show alert!  Well, it was new to me, even though the first season is already well underway. It's called Sins of the City, and it's on TV One (the app-only network).  Each episode focuses on a murder in a different city.  In that sense it's kind of like City Confidential, and just like that show, this one gives little tidbits of city history at the start, which I've come to really enjoy.

• Love 3
(edited)
16 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I got about an episode into it, and gave it up. Based on what I watched, I think the mother is full of sh*t, and I'm not sure what the heck the filmmaker thinks she's doing.

I'm not gonna waste my time and attention watching a bunch of lying and/or deluded wackos running around in circles for however many episodes there are of this show. 

It actually turned out to be very interesting and went down a completely different direction than it started.  

Most of these true crime shows fit your description.

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Useful 2
17 hours ago, Jeeves said:

II'm not gonna waste my time and attention watching a bunch of lying and/or deluded wackos running around in circles for however many episodes there are of this show. 

1 hour ago, Writing Wrongs said:

Most of these true crime shows fit your description.

Can you give a few examples of such shows?

Although they often throw in some red herrings to build suspense, most of the shows I've watched on the ID channel, for example, show a criminal investigation that works its way to a conclusion. For example, IMO Joe Kenda's neither a liar or a wacko, and his show didn't consist of him running around in circles.

Sure, there are the one-off shows or mini-series about unsolved crimes or disappearances, and I haven't watched a lot of those - so maybe they also are delusional wackos running around in circles. 🤣  To each their own!

• Love 3
21 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I watched the first two and it's boring to me. It's obvious the mother is lying. At times it feels like the filmmaker is creating something out nothing just to make a show.  It's weird how she would pay for things for the young daughter, if that is even true. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Well, shit. I was flipping channels while my husband was mowing the lawn before the pizza arrived and who should I happened to see on Snapped?  One of our favorite psychos--Pam Hupp.  She could have gone to trial and face the death penalty but she pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life without parole. Hopefully she would live a looonnnggg time rotting in a 6x8 cell. piece of shit. 

• Love 8

I have been finding the Signs of a Psychopath interesting. I think they are repeats (the guide tends to lie) but I was always watching something else when they were originally on. 
While they are exceedingly creepy, I find it interesting to watch them struggle to react to things like a "normal" person. They seem to try but they are always a little off!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, geekgirl921 said:

While they are exceedingly creepy, I find it interesting to watch them struggle to react to things like a "normal" person. They seem to try but they are always a little off!

I'm always struck by the moments when they're letting out some creepy laugh while they're being interviewed and talking about their crimes. Sometimes it feels genuine, other times, you kind of get the feeling they're doing those creepy laughs because they think that's what people like them are supposed to do, or they think it somehow makes them more scary and intimidating, when really, no, it just makes them look like the pathetic phonies they really are. 

And yet, the fact they're willing to try and laugh like that, be it genuine or not, when they're describing such horrific crimes just adds to how awful of people they truly are. It's all a game to them, they really don't care about other people, or what others think of them, and that's frightening. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 7/24/2021 at 2:34 PM, Jeeves said:

Can you give a few examples of such shows?

Although they often throw in some red herrings to build suspense, most of the shows I've watched on the ID channel, for example, show a criminal investigation that works its way to a conclusion. For example, IMO Joe Kenda's neither a liar or a wacko, and his show didn't consist of him running around in circles.

Sure, there are the one-off shows or mini-series about unsolved crimes or disappearances, and I haven't watched a lot of those - so maybe they also are delusional wackos running around in circles. 🤣  To each their own!

I was just meaning that other shows have lying suspects and crazy witnesses or whatever. I just wanted to start a dialogue if anyone had watched it and I felt like your comment was dismissive and made it seem like I was a stupid for having watched it beyond the 2 episodes you had. 

As you said, to each his own. Another one I just watched was Undercurrent about an Australian woman convicted of her partner's murder, even though there was no real evidence or a body.

Edited by Writing Wrongs
  • Love 1
(edited)

A brand new Reasonable Doubt is on tonight.  It is one of my favorite shows wherein a retired police officer and a  criminal defense  lawyer both look into cases  and try to help the criminal's loved ones who think their love one is wrongfully convicted.  They try analyze the clues and try to help the loved ones  to deal with it when the clues are overwhelming.  and when they point  to clues that they think their loved ones are wrongfully convicted, and fix them up with PI to help with the appeals.

they also talk to victims loved one My only problem in that they haven't had any updates

Edited by One Tough Cookie
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, One Tough Cookie said:

My only problem in that they haven't had any updates

Yes! I'd like updates on some of those stories, too. 

I like that show as well. It's especially interesting when the cases are the sort that are really ambiguous, where the person's guilt or innocence could really go either way, because the evidence just isn't there or the case was badly handled or whatever. It's a good way to highlight the issues that often come with bad investigations, and the importance of improving that aspect of things. 'Cause even if the person is guilty, bottom line, everyone deserves and has the right to a fair trial, and badly constructed cases rob them of that opportunity. 

Plus, if the investigation was badly handled, that gives the person more of an argument to be set free. Which, if they're guilty, and guilty of a violent crime at that...is not good. 

• Love 3
18 hours ago, Writing Wrongs said:

I was just meaning that other shows have lying suspects and crazy witnesses or whatever. I just wanted to start a dialogue if anyone had watched it and I felt like your comment was dismissive and made it seem like I was a stupid for having watched it beyond the 2 episodes you had. 

As you said, to each his own. Another one I just watched was Undercurrent about an Australian woman convicted of her partner's murder, even though there was no real evidence or a body.

Oh gosh. I didn't at all mean that anyone was stupid to watch the full series. I just didn't like the show and was irritated enough not to finish watching all the episodes. But by no means am I some kind of ultimate authority on what's good TV! I'm sorry if my remarks came across as dismissive. 

• Love 1
On 7/23/2021 at 8:47 PM, Jeeves said:

I watched all of it. It was fascinating and its still unsolved.

• Love 2
(edited)

On the first episode of this season's Reasonable Doubt, I wonder what made the brother and girlfriend, plus the convict himself (Justin) think that the cell phone records would help exonerate him, when his phone wasn't even on.  How did they go through the trial and not know that?  Also, that was quite an interesting piece of information they dropped on us at the very end, that the dead girl's phone had been used the next day and only called to people who knew Justin.

ETA: Also thought it was quite interesting that for the unfinished eyewitness sketch, which only had the head shape and the hair, they thought the reason for that was that the cops told the artist to stop drawing once the sketch started not looking like Justin.  But the actual reason was that the eyewitness himself requested the artist to stop at that point, since all he had seen was the head shape and hair, and he was not comfortable basically guessing at the rest of the features.

Edited by LuvMyShows
added another thought
  • Love 4
On 7/26/2021 at 7:20 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

A brand new Reasonable Doubt is on tonight.  It is one of my favorite shows wherein a retired police officer and a  criminal defense  lawyer both look into cases  and try to help the criminal's loved ones who think their love one is wrongfully convicted.  They try analyze the clues and try to help the loved ones  to deal with it when the clues are overwhelming.  and when they point  to clues that they think their loved ones are wrongfully convicted, and fix them up with PI to help with the appeals.

they also talk to victims loved one My only problem in that they haven't had any updates

I had forgotten how much I like this show.  I'm always excited to hear the clues, and then see how it actually shakes out once they start investigating. 

But I am starting to be a little suspicious of what the family members are saying.  On the third episode of the season, the convict had previously been guilty of breaking and entering.  When Chris (the detective) asked the sister about those prior convictions, she explained how growing up, their mother had become a drug addict, and her brother had stolen some food from a neighbor's house to feed the family.  I definitely gave that the side eye.  Maybe that anecdote was said at some other point in the interview, and it was spliced in to appear as though that was her answer to the question about his convictions, but given how this sister acted, I think that was her genuine answer.

So....are we to believe that the neighbors actually pressed charges against a kid for that offense, and that the police decided to move forward with the charges, and the DA's office also decided to go forward with the case, and that he was convicted as an adult?  Or maybe...that anecdote did occur, but it has nothing to do with the answer to the question about his actual convictions, and she was trying to minimize what he had done as an adult in the timeframe closer to the crime.  When Chris asked the convict himself about his convictions, he said his first was a B&E at age 30, so the sister's story was quite a bit self-serving.

Also, one of the clues to prove the innocence, centered around the sister's contention that her brother was at her house during the evening of the murder, down to specifics about the time.  But the investigation (phone records?) proved he was not at her house during those times.  So when Chris confronted her about that evidence, she said she may have mixed up some days and times.  He even reminded her that she had told him specifics about the times that he was there, and was using that as proof of his innocence, and she just said she couldn't remember.

• Love 3

Yeah, that family really didn't do itself much favors in that episode. Some of it I chalked up to them being so damaged by their own experience with drugs, given the horrible household they'd grown up in-it clearly messed them up in a lot of ways. 

But some of it, yeah, I think they were so desperate to believe their brother was innocent that they conveniently overlooked a few details that hurt their case more than helped it. And it was a real shame, too, because at the beginning, when they talked about the guy's nephew finding him, and all the weird stuff he did afterward, I was all set to support any efforts to follow the investigation down that road, too, because yeah, someone finding their loved one dead can be very suspicious, depending on the circumstances. 

But then as the episode went on and the evidence became more and more damning towards the brother, well... I very much get and sympathize with wanting to believe your loved one didn't commit an awful crime, definitely, and wanting to do whatever you can to prove that, but yeah, these families who come on here need to remember that the more stuff they hide or "forget" to mention, the harder it will be to help the person they want to help. 

Edited by Annber03
  • Love 5

I've been watching "Fasten Your Seatbelt" on A&E which is about people losing their minds in airports and on airplanes. It does not reduce my anxiety about flying. I thought it would be something to laugh at after watching all the murder shows. Nope.

I've been enjoying this season of Cold Justice. It's so well done but it also illustrates how poorly many investigations are run. It's great when people finally see some justice happen.

• Love 5

There was no Cold Justice last Saturday. I’m not sure what happened.  I’ve returned to watching it.  They may have taken a break due to covid.

I was shocked on Reasonable Doubt when the family was defending their loved one against murder. Inmate was a former deputy!  She vehemently denied murdering her boyfriend, who’s body was found in cement inside a metal horse troth.  Yet, it was  discovered that the inmate had gone to the store and purchased the troth and the cement the day before the murder!  🤣 Man…..she didn’t think that one through.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 6

Is tonight's Deadly Women supposed to be new? The guide says New (episode titled Dangerous Liaisons) but it also says it's episode four from season four. The episode from last week in the current season was season fourteen, episode eight.

The same thing happened with Evil Lives Here. The episode on 8/1 was 9.11 (New), Sunday's episode was 6.12 (New), this Sunday's episode coming up says only season nine (New) and the episode on 8/22 is 9.13 (New) 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Is tonight's Deadly Women supposed to be new? The guide says New (episode titled Dangerous Liaisons) but it also says it's episode four from season four. The episode from last week in the current season was season fourteen, episode eight.

The same thing happened with Evil Lives Here. The episode on 8/1 was 9.11 (New), Sunday's episode was 6.12 (New), this Sunday's episode coming up says only season nine (New) and the episode on 8/22 is 9.13 (New) 

It's showing as new but it says S4:E4. ID does have a bad habit of relabeling things as new.

• Love 3