Type keyword(s) to search

Robotic Media Coverage

• Start Topic

(edited)

Christian Slater will be on Jimmy Fallon shortly.

Just ETA that he was on for about 3 minutes total, and about 30 seconds was about the show. He claimed there is a indeed an F-Society bent on taking down the evil corporation, but I almost got the impression that Slater himself did not yet know what it was really about, but that's not possible, so I guess he really is a good actor.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

One of the things I remember from the NY Times review is that the reviewer likened the anarchist sentiments expressed in the show to the Occupy Wall Street movement.

Maybe it's the one percent of one percent line.

The companion website (advertised during the premiere) is rather retro: http://www.whoismrrobot.com

After Monthlong Online Preview, ‘Mr. Robot’ Draws 1.75M Viewers For USA

USA Network’s hacker drama starring Rami Malek and Christian Slater got off to a bumpy ratings start Wednesday, drawing a not-great 1.75 million viewers and 0.5 among the 18-49 demo at 10 PM. But the numbers for Mr. Robot were skewed by the fact that the pilot had been playing for free online since May 27.

The ratings also are sort of academic: USA gave the series a second-season pickup of at least 10 episodes on Wednesday, hours before its network premiere. The cable net made the renewal after 2.6 million people sampled the pilot on various online platforms in advance of its official TV launch.

http://variety.com/2015/tv/news/ratings-usa-rookie-drama-mr-robot-surges-in-week-two-1201534342/

In adults 18-49, “Mr. Robot” has become the calendar year’s No. 2 scripted series premiere on cable — behind only AMC’s “Better Call Saul.” In Nielsen’s “live plus same-day” ratings, the second episode of “Mr. Robot” averaged a 0.55 rating, up 20% from its premiere (0.49) retaining 93% of its lead-in from veteran “Suits” (0.59).
  • Love 1

What's the Best Show of the Summer So Far?

USA's look at the redistribution of wealth quandary through the eyes of a possibly schizophrenic hacker is one of the biggest surprises of the year and probably tops on my list as the best show of the summer. Slick presentation, a rebellious point of view, and stellar acting make this a complete show.

Mr. Robot Series Premiere Review: USA Arrives With a Game-Breaking New Drama

http://www.tv.com/news/mr-robot-season-1-episode-1-hello-friend-review-143516166708/

I love unreliable narrators and the P.O.V. of someone who might be crazy, and here in Mr. Robot it folded into everything else extremely well. I'll put the idea of Mr. Robot not actually existing on pause here to let the series play with that idea on its own, and because that revelation isn't what actually makes the show interesting. The first rule of Byte Club is you do not talk about Byte Club.

(edited)

The Hollywood Prospectus podcast at Grantland has been doing weekly commentary on the show. I learned a couple of interesting things from them. First of all, the concept was originally for a movie, but creator Sam Esmail kept writing, the script got too long, and he decided to pitch it as a TV show instead. The show has already been renewed. That's something I'm not to sure about. And Esmail sticks in details that most people will miss. They make reference to a comic book that served as inspiration for Esmail whose name appears as one of the businesses in Coney Island. 

That last part really makes me wonder if the casting of Michael Cristofer really is an allusion to his character in Rubicon. . . or perhaps he truly is Truxton Spangler. . .

Edited by xaxat
  • Love 3

From episode 6:

This Vulture recap makes a convincing case that Shayla was never in the diner, and that the whole exchange happened in Elliot's head.

I disagree that Angela is trying to bring back her dead mother. She's trying to save her father. (Which, of course, still makes her just like Elliot.)

Great article on Sam Esmail's influences for Mr. Robot. http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/mr-robot-influences-taxi-driver-girls.html

"Elliot is so socially anxious and awkward that the only way to relate to him is to be inside his brain — otherwise it’s going to be hard to really engage with a character like him — and that’s how I came up with the voice-over’s whole imaginary-person component.”  This makes a good case for Mr. Robot being real and the audience is full of Elliott's imaginary friends.

• Love 1

A commercial for this show caught my eye so I DVRd and watched Episode 1 and the first half of 2.  It's quite compelling, but I'm hoping that my relative ignorance of computers doesn't leave me too confused to follow. 

No way. I can see them pulling it from broadcast in case someone accidentally ran accross it, but they should have allowed it on demand or otherwise. I won't be around next week so I will have to wait until after Labor Day.

No way. I can see them pulling it from broadcast in case someone accidentally ran accross it, but they should have allowed it on demand or otherwise. I won't be around next week so I will have to wait until after Labor Day.

I'm guessing there's a financial impact if it first airs On Demand.
  • Love 2

Maybe I'm being uncharacteristically optimistic, but I think there is a real element of being respectful.  These types of shootings are getting a lot of attention lately (not without reason), and there is a lot of backlash when people think there is a corporate disregard for the sensibilities of people in these situations.  This is an event that many many people are reacting to, and I can see where there would be a negative reaction to THE SAME NIGHT showing a fictionalized event that appeared to mirror this real life incident.  And I like to think that one or two people having personal reasons why it's inconvenient to wait a few days to see their show don't outweigh simple human decency.

• Love 6

This is the best explanation I've read, from Todd van der Werff (who has seen the episode) on Vox:

Though the events in the Mr. Robot episode don't have any direct correlation to what happened in Virginia, the graphic nature of what is depicted on screen seemed very likely to bring up thoughts of the events.

Obviously, the delay makes sense out of respect for the families and friends of the victims, but it also makes some amount of artistic sense as well. Mr. Robot is a series that gains considerably from weaving an atmospheric spell around its audience, and thus, anything that disrupts that spell seems likely to pull the audience out of the show entirely.

• Love 1

Really, Sam Esmail? Really?!

[T]he questions I was asking: “Is this a guy pretending to be a woman?” And he said, “No, no, no, no. This is a trans person.” I asked, “How would they know it’s a trans person?” He said the show is the kind of show that doesn’t explain things, but hopefully, the way we are doing it, it’ll be clear there is no added layer of their transness having anything to do with anything.…

And when we were shooting the scene, it was frustrating because Sam still couldn’t tell me anything! I’m asking him, "Why are we doing this scene?" My sense is that he is still figuring it out.

A long, but interesting, video podcast interview with Sam Esmail over at Hollywood Prospectus for anyone who is interested. 

http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/the-andy-greenwald-podcast-mr-robot-creator-sam-esmail-on-the-shows-first-season/

Fantastic interview about process, creativity, audience, etc. Thanks for posting! Great to listen to while exercising, except I kept wishing I could stop and make notes, LOL.

Bloomberg has an interesting post on the financial implications of the E Corp hack. Two caveats: 1) consider the source, and 2) the writer doesn't seem to understand how E Corp works within the show's universe. Still, I agree that fsociety's plan will have some not-so-rosy repercussions, since wiping out debt doesn't mean that those of us with credit cards, mortgages, and/or student loans are now free to do whatever we want.

http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2015-09-09/the-caper-in-mr-robot-is-no-robin-hood-scheme

Edited by wisteria

My niece is about to graduate from St. Francis College, Brooklyn.  Sam Esmail and Rami Malek were there to do a talk.  Here's a brief snippet that she shared via Facebook:   I don't know if the longer talk is available anywhere, maybe they'll upload it to their FB page later.

The industry is CLEARLY feeling the Mr. Robot love. Critics' Choice nominations out today and Rami, Christian and the show all got nods. Also B.D. Wong got a nod for Best Guest Actor in a Drama for his part on the show which is pretty awesome since he was pretty memorable in such a small part (though I have a feeling his character will get much more screentime in the second season).

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/2016-critics-choice-awards-nominees-848351

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 3

Yeah really bummed about Rami. The Globes usually LOVE rewarding fresh faces so I thought he was a shoo-in but I guess this being Hamm's last chance to win for Mad Men won over voters. I have nothing against Hamm but I do think it's kind of bullshit that Christian has a Globe for the show but Rami doesn't. That reeked a little of Hollywood bias/name - as in Christian's been in the industry a long time and is very recognizable. Yes, his category may have been weaker but again it just sucks because let's face it, Rami CARRIES that show. 

• Love 4

Absolutely. I can't call myself a huge fan, but objectively, Mr. Robot was probably the most original drama of 2015, and it means a lot in the era stuffed with remakes, spin-offs and sequels (or just repeating a similar model over and over), and it would have never worked without Rami's central performance. Slater's award felt like a consolation prize for the show.

• Love 2

Rami's not winning surprised me because as pointed out, Golden Globes is usually very good at recognizing a "new" face.  I remember Jennifer Garner winning for the first season of Alias years ago.

Of course, if Rami wins the Emmy, I'll have no complaints.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 3