Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E04: The Sons Of The Harpy

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

The Faith Militant grow increasingly aggressive. Jaime and Bronn head south. Ellaria and the Sand Snakes vow vengeance.

Reminder: This is for discussion of the TV show only, no book talk allowed - including saying "but it's different in the books". Any spoiler from outside the books (i.e. next weeks preview) should be in spoiler tags.

Could care less about Barristan, but show you better not kill Grey Worm!

Was it just me or did the episode run shorter than normal?

Other than that, good on Jon rejecting the Red Priestess but that'll bite him later, I'm sure. Really hope he does decide to ride south, because I'm worried Sansa is in over her head. I'd actually feel better if Littlefinger was staying, weirdly enough.

Loras should be glad he's only in jail - I was totally expecting him to get killed based on what we saw. Cersei is going to regret giving power to the uber-religious fanatics. I doubt they treat incest any better than homosexuality...

• Love 13

Damn, both Grey Worm and Selmy came as advertised, those boys took a lot of Harpys with them. Jorah's timing looks fortuitous, there are going to be some openings on Dany's staff.

Oh Margaery, you thought you could play on Cersei's level. But she's making the smart play getting Granny.

• Love 4

I liked Dorne in the credits with its serpent. I know we’ve been to Dorne a few episodes back, but I don’t remember it in the creds.  It’s very Arabian.  And  l liked Oberyn’s daughters, the name Sand Snakes is very appropriate.

LMAO @ Bronn’s “Your niece?”  Really Jaime, who are you kidding anymore?  But damn it if he isn’t eye candy and Bronn doesn’t bring the humor.  The silver hand came in handy, pun intended.

OMG, Cersei’s evil knows no bounds, ridding the Council of Mace, massacre at the brothel, imprisoning Loras.  If prostitution and homosexuality are abominations of the law of Westeros, aren’t 3 royal children born of incest?  She is going to pay the price.

No, no, no, no, no Bitch, leave our Jon alone.  How dare you utter the words “You know nothing, Jon Snow”!  I want to unsee that whole scene.

I loved Shireen and Stannis, how she must have been yearning to hear that from him all her life, this is probably the 1st time Stannis gave me some reason to love him.

LF was right, the whole GoT started because of Rhaegar and Lyanna.

2 massacres this episode, oh joy.  The Sons of the Harpy and the Sparrows are quite similar.  Alas, Ser Barristan sang his last song.

This was a very short episode :-(

• Love 5
(edited)

GREY WORM!  BARRISTAN! NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Also, congratulations, Cersei.  You just made King's Landing a worse place to live in.  Hope putting Savonarola bites you on the ass hard.

Poor Margery.  Poor, poor fucking Margery.  Marriage to King Pussy Mommasboy (which was going to be my king name) has already soured.

Edited by bmoore4026
  • Love 5

Watch out, High Sparrow. Admitting that you don't like wine probably makes you very suspect in Cersei's eyes!

Is it wrong that now I like jolly Lord Tyrell? I really hope Ser Maryn doesn't cause some sort of accident on the trip back from Braavos. How much money would Margaery inherit upon his death?

Cersei and Margaery both really upped their games this week. First Cersei had Loras arrested by the crazy religious weirdos and then Margaery told Tommen that he is a weak jerkface.

On a shallow note, I really liked Margaery's dress with the gold on the bodice.

Melisandre just can't keep her clothes on, can she? I'm glad Jon rejected her. Nothing good ever comes of having sex with her.

Awwwww, Shireen finally got a hug from Stannis!

Damn it, please don't tell me that we're losing Barristan and Grey Worm.

• Love 3

Is it wrong that now I like jolly Lord Tyrell? I really hope Ser Maryn doesn't cause some sort of accident on the trip back from Braavos. How much money would Margaery inherit upon his death?

Ser Maryn might have his own problems, he's going to Braavos.

• Love 4
(edited)

Bronn was like, really gonna keep telling that lie Jamie?

Aside from Lil Whale Rider, not here for the Sand Snakes.

Time for dem Dragons to start roasting bishes in Mereen, this shit is getting out of hand.

Grey Worm's fight game is tight, hope he survives.

Think Baristan is a goner, went out like a G though.

Is there anyone in KL, that doesn't know Jamie and Cersei were fucking?

Edited by MrsRafaelBarba
  • Love 7
(edited)

Wasn't affected so much by Selmy, but not Grey Worm!! That hit me in the gut! However we did find out that Rhaegar likes to sing and gave money to the poor. This kind of goes against the kidnapper and rapist image we have and when Sansa made her comment about Lyanna's kidnapping, Littlefinger got a look on his face. Also Stannis comment about "perhaps" when his sour faced wife made the comment about John being a bastard and his comment "that was not Ned Starks way"...hmmm.. Feel like we were getting some anvils here.

Poor Tommen is so over his head. He needs a Tywin, instead he's caught in a tug of war between two women. Based on what the witch said Tommen will eventually die but I feel that with the right influence he would make a great king. Cersei is so going to regret her decision. She's trying to get back at Margery but arming religious fanatics is a baaad idea, especially when you're the incest queen.

Daenerys it's time to let out the dragons and have them burn some things.

Honestly we could have done without Tyrion this episode. The only thing we learned from his scenes is something we already knew, Jorah is taking him to Daenerys.

Interesting comment from Bronn when Jaime said he wanted to die in the arms of the woman he loves, he said she would want the same. No way he was talking about Cersei.

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 2

I guess I'm a bad person because I wanted one or both to die. Granted I don't like Dani very much and, I really need to see her humbled a bit. She has a good heart but she's too full of her own hype. Shit has come way to easily for her lately, IMO.

I really loved the Stannis/Shireen scene. Anything with Shireen is good. If I could I totally vote for Shireen to win the Iron Throne.

I was a little disappointed in the Sansa/Little Finger scene. I really want Sansa to play the Bolton's but I don't think she's learned as much as I'd hope. Sansa really needs to step up her game.

• Love 1

Shit has come way to easily for her lately, IMO.

Yeah, Season 4 she pretty much skated. The bill has definitely come due this season. Every leader knows or comes to know, it is far easier to conquer than rule.

• Love 3
(edited)

Dany better figure out how to call Drogon back, because she just lost her Unsullied Army (RIP Grey Worm and Ser Barristan Selmy).

I am hella worried about Loras.  Looks like Marge will be calling for Grandma real quick.  Poor Tommen. He doesn't have the heart to really be King. 

The Sand Snakes appear to be quite lethal. So 2 of them are Ellaria's daughters?  I don't think that Doran is going to let her near Myrcella, and now she knows Jamie is in Dorne.  I wonder if Bronn could take the Sand Snakes on?

Edited by Stardancer Supreme
  • Love 1
(edited)

Poor Ser Barriston. He certainly looked near death. What a warrior, such bravery and skill. He saved Grey Worm from a brutal death. Thank goodness for Daenerys that Jorah, Varys, and Tyrion are almost there. Also, Drogon is staying nearby. She needs to get him and her other dragons burn some of those masked butchers to a crisp. I bet they stop that bullshit instantly.

Cersei will never learn. She has created an army of religious fanatics answerable to no one all because she wants to hold power and undermine Margaery. She has revealed Tommen to be a powerless king and it never occurs to her that the High Sparrow will start judging her incestuous sins? Cersei is a stupid woman. No doubt Kevan Lannister will have to return and fix Cersei's mess.

Eh, Sansa will be okay. Brienne, Stannis, and Theon are all close, one of them will rescue her. I liked Littlefinger telling Rhaegar and Lyanna's story and Stannis rightly pointing out that bedding a tavern wench was not Ned Starks' way. It is about time the show gets its mytharc going. 

Bronn and Jamie are almost as fun as Tyrion and Bronn, but this rescue mission of theirs is pure folly.

I was glad that Jon resisted Melisandre's seduction. That woman is always scheming with her religious fanaticism.

Stannis and Shirelle are adorable. Why is her mother such a shit?

ETA: Margaery's dress was gorgeous. She looked lovely with her flowing hairstyle and dress.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 5
(edited)

I guess I should have seen it coming, after Dany's "Sing me a song." But I didn't. Ser Barristan is nothing if not gutsy, though. I hope Grey Worm, at least, survives.

Jorah might stand a better chance now.

Good on Jon with Mel. Now don't get spooked because she said the magic words.

Grudging props to Stannis. He isn't the worst, his worst move was getting involved with the Red Priestess. Stick with Davos instead.

Illaria is like a completely changed person. I mean 180 degrees from last season. It's jarring.

Is it my imagination, or do most of the episodes end in Mereen?

Edited by peggy06
  • Love 3

Wow Barristan and Greyworm.  Dany Targaryen in terms of your regime it is NOT your finest hour.    And she just really bonded with Barristan too.

Cersei, Cersei, Cersei, to think I thought you had been declawed, I should've known you wouldn't go down without a fight.    Arming a new fanatical group and then pointing them like a missile at a technical betrothed you want to get rid of, who happens to be the brother of your hated rival for power in Kings Landing.   Maybe Margaery should have played the olive branch game last week, though I am a little disappointed in her again.   Margaery is being challenged and she goes running to Grandmother to solve her problems for her??   She's like early days Sansa only with sexual experience and a MUCH better support system.

Tommen is such a weak reed I almost feel sorry for him.   "Aren't you and mother getting along."  Sigh.  That boy has no place in games of intrigue.

Sansa, ya her being left with the Boltons is not going to go well for anyone.  I fully believe that for once Littlefinger is being caught unaware in terms of Ramsay's proclivities.    He was nothing but a bastard and at the time the only thing worth knowing about him was that he was Roose Bolton's Bastard.   Sansa is to take this "boy and make him her own."   Oh boy again.  I'm afraid for Sansa but at the same time I can't wait to see where this all goes.   

And also what about Sansa's taunt to Littlefinger.   The next time we meet I suppose I'll be a married woman?!?!?!?!  Wow.  She's playing with fire.

It also seems like maybe Stannis's war with the Boltons is going to be the season climax.   Maybe that's the episode 9 event this season.   It's certainly being built up.   Stannis, Davos, Melissandre, Potentially Jon Snow, Roose, Ramsay, Theon/Reek and Sansa all thrown into the mixing pot.   I can't wait to see how it ends.

Jon and Melissandre.  Please no.

Good Episode over all.

• Love 2

Cersei, dear, who do you think your former lover and partner in murder, Lancel, is going to come after next?  You've given him the power to take you and your children down.  As your father said, you're not as smart as you think.

Sansa, you'd better hope Brienne is hiding in the bushes because you are now an unprotected "guest" of the Boltons.  And you have no direwolf.  Let Brienne be your direwolf.

• Love 11

Show has a pattern of making noble, lovable characters appear even more noble and lovable - right before killing them. Therefore when I saw Ser Barristan engage the Sons of the Harpy, I knew he was toast.

By the same pattern, I am quite scared for sweet, brave Shireen...I believe Stannis is done for as well.   I thoroughly enjoyed their scene together, although I got the chills hearing about Greyscale Barbie.

• Love 8

Grey Worm's fight game is tight, hope he survives.

Unsullied need a new armor designer...daggers should not be able to penetrate...Gendry should row to Mereen.

That would probably be his best bet. 

New Rule: Trial by Combat is against all the Sparrows at once.....

• Love 3

The whole talk with LF betting on Stannis to Sansa makes me think Bolton will win.

I can't erase how I thought for a second that Joff wouldn't have been as easily swayed as Tommen. I want Tommen to become stronger but who'll teach him...

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lancel say the Sparrows knew about his sins? I guess they just don't know who?

• Love 1

Can someone correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Lancel say the Sparrows knew about his sins? I guess they just don't know who?

I'm pretty sure he said he prayed for forgiveness of his sins. It was left ambiguous whether or not he said exactly what they were to them, although he told Cersei exactly what sins he meant. 

On the subject of Lancel, what was the significance of the "tattoo" on his forehead? He appeared to be the only Sparrow with one, unless I missed other ones with it.  And yeah, Cersei is so going to get snakebit. It will be fun to watch!

It's a 7-pointed star for the seven gods. :) 

I can't erase how I thought for a second that Joff wouldn't have been as easily swayed as Tommen. I want Tommen to become stronger but who'll teach him...

The same Joffrey who deserted his men in the middle of a battle because his mother "needed" him? Joffrey was far more weak willed than Tommen who actually took his men to the High Sparrow's keep to try and free Loras. Tommen should have simply had his men kill the High Sparrow's men, but he is not experienced enough to go that far. This is why Kevan said that the king should be the Small Council meeting to learn how to rule. I just hope that Tommen survives Daenerys and Jon.

• Love 4

The same Joffrey who deserted his men in the middle of a battle because his mother "needed" him? Joffrey was far more weak willed than Tommen who actually took his men to the High Sparrow's keep to try and free Loras. Tommen should have simply had his men kill the High Sparrow's men, but he is not experienced enough to go that far. This is why Kevan said that the king should be the Small Council meeting to learn how to rule. I just hope that Tommen survives Daenerys and Jon.

I agree, Tommen as a second son was never raised to be King and seems to have an aversion to violence. I don't think he's weak, just inexperienced and young. He was essentially raised in a glass house and has no idea what goes on outside. He needs Kevan.

• Love 5

RIP Sir Barriston, you were a bad MF to the very end. I guess this might make it easier for Jorah to get back into Dany's good graces. I hope Grey Worm's still alive, but I'm not optimistic.

That was a beautiful scene between Shireen and Stannis, but it doesn't make up for him and that red witch burning people alive.

I've had enough of Jaime Lannister. What is the point of him? This saga began with him trying to kill a child, and he has just chugged along without any remorse, feeling sorry for himself because he has to shag his sister in secret.  Yeah, he lost his hand, but he's still a deadly swordsman with the other.

Every time Sansa and Littlefinger are together, it makes me nauseous. I'm ready for Littlefinger to meet his maker in King's Landing, PLEASE!

Stay strong, Jon Snow.

(edited)

Thanks "Mya Stone this makes more sense.

Stannis' doubts to Jon being Ned's bastard were interesting. And really Stannis won me over in this episode in general. Being at the wall is somehow bringing out the best in him. I loved it when Mel showed up and Stannis' wife just scurried off after being put in her place.

All LF and Sansa were doing was talking in the krypts and I can't wait to see where this storyline goes. Does LF love Sansa? Is that kiss a I love you kiss? Is that a stupid question? I try to explain away anything potentially bad he does.

I think Joff would stand up when it was safe. I don't think he would have went to the sept but I think he would have done something. He would have demanded it. In war? No... But I would say this is something he would have fixed if Margery played her cards right.

Edited by Little Dove
(edited)

Yep, I hope Tommen enjoyed all that sex, because he ain't getting any for a long time.  That poor little guy: he is just not cut out for this at all.  Cersei and Margaery are just going to eat him alive.  Not surprised though that Marg's little slams last week have unleashed Cersei.  She's now arming The Sparrows and having them cause ruckus, and even arrest Loras.  And, I don't like what she might have planned with sending Daddy Tyrell to Bravos, with freaking Meryn Trant as is "bodyguard."  This is going to get crazy.  Especially since Margaery is calling the calvary a.k.a. Lady Olenna!  Really hope the Queen of Thorns crashes the party soon.  If only Cersei knew what she did to her other son, heh.

Not surprising: Jaime and Bronn are hilarious together.  I can't wait to see more of their adventures in Dorne.  Those two are just so much fun.  Also in Dorne, we finally meet the Sand Snakes.  Right now, the only one that left an impression was the one played by Keisha Castle-Hughes.  Thought she had a bit of the same swagger Oberyn had.  But it sounds like all three of them are down with Ellaria about starting a war, so Dorian better have Mycelle's security upgraded.  He's got Ellaria/the Snakes and Jaime/Bronn coming for her.

I see Tyrion is about the same with Jorah as he was with Varys: the world's worst traveling companion.  Then again, Jorah is his kidnapper, so he kind of deserves it. Of course, unlike Varys, Jorah ain't against smacking Tyrion to get him to shut up!

Oh, Sansa.  Normally, having Littlefinger leave your side wouldn't be a bad thing, but when it leaves in the hands of Roose and Ramsay Bolton, i worry a lot about that.

The Shireen/Stannis scene was more touching then any scene of Stannis should ever have the right to be.  I do think, in his own bizarre way, Stannis does love his daughter, even if he sucks at showing it.  That makes me like him way more then his wife.  That woman is a piece of work and a horrid mother.

Glad Jon knows nothing good would come out of involving himself with Melissandre. Yep, he was like "Sorry!  I have a thing for redheads, but this is too far!  I'm all for fiesty ones, that might shoot me with arrows, when I break up with them.  But, fiery witches, who burn people and create shadow babies?!  Thanks, but no thanks!"

And, I thought things in Meereen couldn't get even worse.  Now, Barristan Selmy and Grey Worm are knocking on death's door.  I thought the Unsullied were suppose to be badasses, but the Harpies kind of kicked their asses.  Now, what is Daenerys going to do?  The dragons can only carry her so far.

Edited by thuganomics85
  • Love 1

Have the Unsullied become softer in their current position? How much do they train? Or have they just been walking around in packs guarding? But not actually fighting or training.... I loved Selmy running towards danger but couldn't help but think he was toast.

• Love 1
(edited)

I agree, Tommen as a second son was never raised to be King and seems to have an aversion to violence. I don't think he's weak, just inexperienced and young. He was essentially raised in a glass house and has no idea what goes on outside. He needs Kevan.

Exactly. And Cersei has deliberately kept Tommen cocooned. He has no real understanding of what a king's responsibilities are or how to deal with political intrigue. All he does all day is fuck Margaery, eat, and have fun. 

I expect that Margaery's grandmother, Olenna will contact Kevan and he will go back to King's Landing with the Lannister army. They will disarm the High Sparrow's nutjobs and free Loras, he will discipline his son, and once and for all put Cersei in her place. This really should be her last season.

I

Edited by SimoneS
Bronn looks to be every season's MVP. ;)

Loved Bronn's look of skepticism when Jamie said he was there to rescue his "niece."

Littlefinger kissing Sansa is just creepy and wrong even if he's just a mentor to her...or whatever the hell he is.

(edited)

I agree about the unsullied, I thought they were raised as fighting machines yet they got taken down by these guys who don't have half their training.

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 2
(edited)

The Unsullied are trained to fight with spears on the battlefield, not for close up battles in an enclosed city. Over the course of history, lots of armies have been steadily worn down and defeated by guerrilla armies who hide in populated areas where they have the support of the local people. Think of the defeat of the U.S. military by the guerrilla tactics of the Vietcong in Vietnam.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 10
(edited)

After being one of my favourites for seasons I found I did not miss Arya. Just her current storylines pacing I guess.

Jons gotta go to Winterfell right?

Makes sense SimoneS. But I still wonder why they weren't training themselves for their current tasks. Especially since the Harpies had already done damage and this wasn't their first strike.

Edited by Little Dove

Even though I appreciated Jon Snow's strength of character in rejecting Melisandre, my first thought was "What's the use of having Ghost if he's not around when you need him?"

• Love 4
(edited)

Littlefinger kissing Sansa is just creepy and wrong even if he's just a mentor to her...or whatever the hell he is.

Littlefinger is creepy. He has transferred his love for Cat to Sansa. He has delusions of sitting on the Iron Throne or in some keep as a wealthy powerful lord with Sansa by his side. I hope she or Brienne get to stab him through his treacherous heart before the series ends.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2

Couldn't it just be his love for Cat that makes him so caring towards Sansa? I don't know why after all this time I want to believe him. Especially when Im re watching and he says to Ned about how not trusting him was the smartest thing he did since he got there. And I keep thinking he thinks Sansa has learned more than she has. She still seems weak and scared to me not at all ready for vengeance. She'll say something, even her comment about being married when he returns could have had such different meaning if said differently. I'm not convinced she can play Ramsey and not let him see her weaknesses.

(edited)

The High Sparrow intrigues me. He does such a good job of playing a genuinely nice guy... who just happens to control a psychotically violent mob.  I thought Roose was going to be this season's Tywin, but maybe the Sparrow is.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 4

Anybody else pissed the Unsullied can't fight?

After all that hyped and synchronicity. hmph.

Well, we got to see what LOOKED like Sansa liking Little Fingers' kisses.

Also, some of you mentioned Cercei and the incest. You could here in the background subjects campus calling Tommen an abomination. Yeah, that day of reckoning is coming soon.

I need them to make Jorah's hair a little less yellow cupie-dollish with that Hi & Lois curl.

• Love 1
(edited)

Sansa may be able control Ramsey while they are betrothed. Sansa is something Ramsey never thought he would have, a true lady. He's been a bastard all his life and treated as such, now he's legitimate and probably won't hurt Sansa now. However later when they're married and he gets comfortable, that's a different story. Also I believe Littlefinger when he said Ramsey is taken with Sansa.

Pity she couldn't do like Margery did with Joffrey but the thought of that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Edited by bluvelvet
  • Love 1