Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E22: Live Top 8 Eliminations

• Start Topic

I was all set to post that  I officially HATE the friggin Twitter save. Gdamn it!!! Stop saving Corey people! Man, I was so happy the vote percentage changed after what I last saw with Corey leading by a hair and then Carson announced India.   Hallelujah, India gets though! I really thought she'd make it no sweat before the evening started.  At least Corey got cut. Bye Hannah, I liked you.

Cuts are getting really hard now, especially since I know that people I like have a fair chance of leaving.

Kimberly is my pick for winning it all.

Edited by Valny
  • Love 4

Current team rosters/cheat sheet:

Team Adam

Joshua Davis (saved by America's vote)

Team Pharrell

Sawyer Fredericks (saved by America's vote)

Koryn Hawthorne (saved by America's vote)

Team Christina

Kimberly Nichole (saved by America's vote)

India Carney (saved by Twitter vote)

Team Blake

Meghan Linsey (saved by America's vote)

Ugh.  I knew Joshua would be safe, but saved first?  Ugh.  But congratulations, @blueray, @Noreaster, and @kelnic86.  You get to watch paint dry -- er, Joshua "perform" -- for another week.

Holy shit!  Despite being next-to-last on iTunes, Koryn was still saved!  OMG!  OMG!  So fucking awesome!  Pharrell stays intact (with his last two) another week!  He could win this!  Whoooooooo!

If there was ever a person I wanted to see preserve the "going last" curse, it was India.  So very, very, very, very, very glad that the viewers woke up and saved her over one of the bland guys!  So happy that she's still in the game, and Christina's team remains intact (of the two left, that is)!

Hannah . . . I knew it was coming, girl.  Sad to see you go.  But you did well to get this far.  You're gonna be great someday, though, if you keep this up.

Corey . . . I was all set to be resigned to your continued survival, thanks to your 45,000+ Twitter followers.  But luckily, sane American fans won the day, and your ass is officially grass.  Sorry, @Dots And Stripes.  No more watching paint dry for you.  Unless you're into Joshua, too, in which case . . . be my guest!  Being nicer to him, though . . . his Twitter song was probably one of the best I've heard from him.  Ironic that he performs his best on his way out the door.

One bland, boring WGWG down.  One bland, boring WGWG to go.  Please leave next, Joshua.

So Blake loses not one, but TWO contestants in one fell swoop.  Ouch.  But since one was Corey, I can deal.

Good episode just for Corey being gone.

Edited by Donny Ketchum
  • Love 1

Wow, how the mighty have fallen.  I can't believe Blake could not marshall his forces to save one of his people.   Christina's folks have really been working the social media.  Happy to see her girls stay.   

• Love 1

Wow, how the mighty have fallen.  I can't believe Blake could not marshall his forces to save one of his people.   Christina's folks have really been working the social media.  Happy to see her girls stay.   

It's also vote splitting. I don't think you can vote for more than 1.

Is there any after show video because I would love to see more of the coach's reactions. Like we didn't even get to seem Blake's face when his team got whittled down to one! I wanna see that, and more of Xtina's reaction too. I hate that they wait seconds before 9pmEST to drag out the winner! :(

Edited by Valny
  • Love 1

Half of Corey's twitter fans must be on the west coast.

I'm sure all the coaches knew there's no chance in leapfrogging the unstoppable force hat-hair. It's just a matter of whether they will have anyone in the finals.

• Love 1

It's going last. I think Kat is the only one who managed to stay after not singing last in twitter save.

I am so excited that Koryn was safe but bummed Hannah did't make it. At least we are down 1 boring WGWG.

I think there is no way India doesn't go home next week. She just doesn't connect with the audience or her songs. And all of her biggest weaknesses (oversinging, lack of emotion, out-of-date music choices) are Christina's biggest weaknesses.

• Love 1

Is there any after show video because I would love to see more of the coach's reactions. Like we didn't even get to seem Blake's face when his team got whittled down to one! I wanna see that, and more of Xtina's reaction too. I hate that they wait seconds before 9pmEST to drag out the winner! :(

We saw Christina's reaction twice.  She was . . . surprisingly, remarkably sedate (though she still looked happy that India was still in it).  But yeah, Blake's shock was what I was looking for.  I wonder if he's taken to social media by now over this development?

• Love 1

I thought Blake gave a weak pitch to save Corey - "He's country.  I like country.  If you like country vote for him" (paraphrase) and his tone of voice was more matter of fact than rallying.

It's been speculated that Blake liked Corey as a person, but perhaps harbored some resentment that Sarah had to go home while he went on, and he thus wasn't as invested in him as he is in Meghan and he was in Hannah.  I think the weak pitch kind of confirmed it to me.

• Love 3

Much as I wanted Corey to disappear - he was leading throughout the whole Twitter vote except for the end after they stopped showing the vote count? Oh, well, he's gone and that's all that matters. Sometimes I wonder if Blake intentionally put together a weaker team this year (i.e., choosing Corey over Cody, the much stronger singer) - another Blake win might have been bad for the show. . So, I wouldn't be surprised if Blake wasn't bugged at all by the loss of Corey.

Glad Sawyer advanced, but that was to be expected.  Koryn's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, most of the time.  Kimberly has really grown on me - wouldn't mind seeing her win. Or, Sawyer.  Despite everything that's been said about the WGWG's, I think only one has ever won The Voice so far - last year, right?

• Love 1

Much as I wanted Corey to disappear - he was leading throughout the whole Twitter vote except for the end after they stopped showing the vote count? Oh, well, he's gone and that's all that matters. Sometimes I wonder if Blake intentionally put together a weaker team this year (i.e., choosing Corey over Cody, the much stronger singer) - another Blake win might have been bad for the show. . So, I wouldn't be surprised if Blake wasn't bugged at all by the loss of Corey.

Glad Sawyer advanced, but that was to be expected.  Koryn's voice is like fingernails on a chalkboard to me, most of the time.  Kimberly has really grown on me - wouldn't mind seeing her win. Or, Sawyer.  Despite everything that's been said about the WGWG's, I think only one has ever won The Voice so far - last year, right?

I can believe that India pulled ahead at the last second.  Since the vote was close, it wouldn't surprise me if some India fans (or, most likely, Christina fans) rallied during the last few minutes the window was open to push her just in front.  After all, it happened with the Brian/Deanna vote in the top twelve week.  Brian led most of the time, and Deanna nosed in front after they stopped showing the votes.

As for the others you said . . . Sawyer was obviously gonna make it.  No question.  Koryn's voice is hit-or-miss, and for that, I thought she'd be in the bottom.  But when she was called as safe, I was happy.  Hell, I'm guessing the contestants keep track of iTunes for an idea of where they might end up, which might be why she looked so surprised!  And Kimberly, I think, has become Christina's best chance at a victory.  I hope she wins if, by some chance, Sawyer doesn't.

As for the last question, I believe Josh Kauffman was a WGWG, too.  But since he was on a team coached by a coach who hadn't won, people were willing to let it slide.

Edited by Donny Ketchum

Other contestants, including Sawyer, tweeted for India. That could have swayed some undecideds. I buy that India won fair and square. The percentages were close the last time they were shown.

I'm not buying any of the conspiracy theories. I don't think Blake would have sacrificed Cory because Sarah left weeks ago. I also don't buy that he doesn't want to win. The winner on this show has yet to really matter and Blake is likable.

I think Blake was in a tough spot given that he could look like a jerk if he tried to rally behind only one of his artists. It's also possible he was having an off day and couldn't muster much enthusiasm. 

• Love 1

I'm not buying any of the conspiracy theories. I don't think Blake would have sacrificed Cory because Sarah left weeks ago. I also don't buy that he doesn't want to win. The winner on this show has yet to really matter and Blake is likable.

I didn't say he sacrificed him.  I said he might've had some resentment that she had to go while he was voted in, because I think Blake knew she was much stronger than he was.  Go back to that results episode.  He did not look pleased when he got through (not necessarily angry, but not really happy, either) and pretty much looked like he didn't know what to do in terms of using his own, final save between Sarah and Hannah.

Hannah was never going to get much further anyway, but I really thought we'd be stuck with Corey until the end. So...yay for that. Of the three, I think India still could suddenly be just great (if she stops trying to be Xtina) and I think Hannah's gotten all she's going to from this, styling-wise, so there's that.

I hope this doesn't remind CeeLo of his losing streak with people. The week he's Blake's advisor, the team gets decimated (and, no, I don't think it had anything to do with him, but it does remind me how awkward it would be when people wouldn't choose him, his contestants wouldn't advance, etc. It didn't seem as level a playing field with him as it does now. Hopefully, Pharrell or Xtina will win, just for something different.)

Note re phrase: WGWG.  I know its origins on Idol because that did get boring and "old" when the same kind of singer would advance again and again.  But I really hate the phrase used for this show because (as a WGWG = "white girl with guitar") there is absolutely nothing wrong with a guy (whatever ethnicity) playing guitar while he sings. I don't find it at all overdone on this show at all. In fact, it's refreshing! (Even though I admit both guys left have guitars. To me, it's a welcome relief from TWWB = "The Women Who Belt", of which there are still too many, imo!   /rant over).

• Love 11

What a total letdown. I was nervous (for Kim, Meghan, and Hannah) and hopeful (India and Koryn's elimination) about the results tonight. I have an irrational hatred for India now. For me she is the cockroach that just won't die. Although I'm disappointed Hannah is gone, but I was resigned to the fact that her time on this show was coming to an end sooner rather than later. I actually participated in the save; something I've never done before or probably ever do again. The drawback was that I was doing it out of spite and not trying to save someone I truly enjoyed. Figuring whoever was in the lead between Hannah or Corey would get my vote to help eliminate goat throat and that was wrong. Alas, now another week to listen to two goaty performances while teeth clenched and still hoping my faves survive.   

FWIW I think Hannah was Blake's favorite amongst his three contestants. 

• Love 3

Talk about suspenseful. A TWO VOTE win for India? Just when you'd think the Red State/Country vote would win out, sanity was restored to the show. Now that the dead weight has been cut, the real competition can begin. Wait a minute! I forgot! Sawyer is still in the competition. That being said, it should be interesting television next week. The ironic part is that blue eyed soul singer Meghan will be forced to return to singing country songs again. By the way, did they hire a new stylist because Meghan looked at least 10 years younger that she was looking over the past month. Please continue this, new stylist.

Corey completely out sang Lee Brice in their duet. Can Blake choose the winner?

It just goes to show how loyal Adam is to his former contestants. The girl he signed to his label was a more confident, more under control version of Deanna Johnson.

Edited by Nedsdag
  • Love 1

Just watched the instant save performances.  If I had to pick one, I guess India was the best?  None were really that great though, with Hannah by far the worst.  

I think Blake is the first coach to lose two people during a bottom-three instant-save.  Hard to argue vote-splitting was much of a factor when other coaches have had multiple people in the bottom three before and only lost one.  Adam, Gwen, Shakira, and Cee Lo.

• Love 1

Again the last singer wins the twitter vote.  Blake will always be at this disadvantage and Adam will win it because of where they sit.

This will probably be the best thing that could happen for Meghan.  She is the lone singer left for Bake.  His fans will vote for her.  

I still think Sawyer will win no matter who else makes the final.

I found it amusing that Sawyer even paints in his hat.  I am really starting to believe if he takes off the hat that his hair comes with it.  

• Love 3

Again the last singer wins the twitter vote.  Blake will always be at this disadvantage and Adam will win it because of where they sit.

In fairness, Corey went second and very nearly did win the vote instead.  So while going last does have its advantages, tonight's close vote showed that that's not always a sure thing.

I thought for sure Corey would be safe, and Koryn and possibly India would be singing during the Twitter Save with Koryn winning because she'd go last. I can't believe Koryn got in on votes above both of those two, especially considering how awful she was last night.

I'm very glad India made it, but it's pretty much a guarantee she goes next week. I was ready to be pissed, "The first time the last singer doesn't win is because of a crappy white guy--of course!" Anyway, I'm sure Pharrell will win. The only other option would be Christina, but I think Kimberly will have a hard time beating WGWG Sawyer.

• Love 2

Surprising, yet fair, results. Meghan was the Blake contestant that deserved to stay on, if there had to be only one. I'm surprised that both Koryn and India advanced though, I thought we'd lose Hannah (my fave!) and one of those two. Corey really improved these last few weeks but he didn't deserve to stay over, well, any of the others (and certainly not over Meghan). I liked the kid but, yeah, he left at the right time.

Sawyer definitely seems to have this in the bag. Eh. But, apart from him, the others are all on pretty much the same level of popularity, I think. That's why the show is kind of unpredictable this season. I'd like that if I had someone to root for (other than my girl Hannah, who came as far as she could but could never go any further).

• Love 2

Well, I'm out.  Deleted the DVR series recording, no need for this anymore.

Hannah was my only reason to watch, and she's gone.  At least she clearly has the most don't-give-a-fuck attitude, which I love; when everyone else was all serious, mouths screwed up and heads bowed down... there was Hannah, bouncing and giggling because it's just a show.  She's awesome, she's got an amazing voice, she's cool and super cute and memorable- I think she'll be okay.

I FF'ed through most of the show, but why did Corey get the luxury of a duet with what's-his-face?  Looking back over the last couple of weeks, no one else got that, and some of the people never really got anything more than a group/team sing.  Well, at least Blandy McBlanderson is gone, even if the people left are no great shakes either.

Edited by hincandenza
  • Love 3
Wow, how the mighty have fallen.  I can't believe Blake could not marshall his forces to save one of his people.

Nahhh. Not really. Remember, the same thing happened last season. Blake was down to one at around this time, as well, and still won.  I don't think he's too disappointed as long as it wasn't Meghan that was cut. If he had gotten through with just Corey, he might have been disappointed and unable to hide the disappointment. And yeah, I also think he was pissed that he had to cut Sarah a couple weeks ago when Corey was saved by "America's Vote.'  He wanted his three loud quirky chicks to remain intact (as did I)

And having India go last was sooo obvious. I knew as soon as Hannah sang first, that she was screwed. Just like in the actual show on Monday. The show REALLY wants a Christina win. Pharrell winning isn't a bad alternative (which will probably happen). They really don't want Blake or Adam winning again.  I'll vote for Hair Boy if it's a choice between Christina or Pharrell.

As far as the WGWG thing, I think Josh Kaufmann and Craig Wayne Boyd were willing to step out from behind the guitar and actually WALK AROUND the stage to change it up. They weren't permanently attached to their binky every week.

Actually, Sawyer has two security blankets. WGWG and hat with hair attached. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 1

Well, I'm out. Deleted the DVR series recording, no need for this anymore.

Hannah was my only reason to watch, and she's gone. At least she clearly has the most don't-give-a-fuck attitude, which I love; when everyone else was all serious, mouths screwed up and heads bowed down... there was Hannah, bouncing and giggling because it's just a show. She's awesome, she's got an amazing voice, she's cool and super cute and memorable- I think she'll be okay.

I FF'ed through most of the show, but why did Corey get the luxury of a duet with what's-his-face? Looking back over the last couple of weeks, no one else got that, and some of the people never really got anything more than a group/team sing. Well, at least Blandy McBlanderson is gone, even if the people left are no great shakes either.

Same here. Time for me to check out for this season. I did the same thing last season after the knockouts when Troy Ritchie was eliminated by Gwen (why do I always get attached to the oddballs that the majority doesn't like?) I like the coaches but they are only amusing during the blinds. They are not interesting enough for me to tune in during lives. I hope Kimberly or Meghan takes the win but ain't too bothered either. I wouldn't mind a Pharrell win but ugh to Koryn and Sawyer. Just yuck. Congrats show,you can finally have a non Adam or Blake win.

And I don't know why they bother with Twitter sing offs because the last person going always wins. In the 3 weeks of finals, Hannah had gone first twice and third once. How's that for fairness?

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 4

I found it amusing that Sawyer even paints in his hat.  I am really starting to believe if he takes off the hat that his hair comes with it.  

Sawyer tweeted this photo yesterday.

CDpintDWoAAjmz0.jpg

I'm also bummed that Hannah is gone.  I don't understand why she went first two weeks in a row and Koryn went last.  I do have to remember that The Swon Brothers also went first several times, and that didn't seem to hurt them at all.  

I think Blake's lukewarm rallying for Corey and Christina's earnest rallying for India helped India get the two extra votes to be saved.  India stated on Twitter that she saw moms asking their kids to tweet to save her.  That's cute.  I don't mind a Pharrell or Christina win, but I don't think we should rule out Meghan or Joshua just yet. 

Sawyer appears to be unstoppable at this point.  Joshua, Koryn, Kimberly and Meghan have all had one or more songs in the top 10, but Sawyer has done this every week since the lives, with the exception of possibly one week.  

I think I may just DVR the rest of the episodes now that Hannah is gone.  She was such a breath of fresh air and the reason I wanted to keep watching.  I will miss seeing her each week.  

• Love 4

I think Corey will still have a shot at a successful career. He looked and sounded pretty good in that duet (other than the constant fiddling with his ear piece every time he sang tonight; technical difficulties, I guess). I'm not a country enthusiast so I'm non-plussed at his departure, but he seems like a nice person and I wish him luck.

Never thought for a moment that Hannah could win the whole thing but I'll miss her. I would have rather seen Koryn leave at this point, as I relate better to Hannah's performances. 

At this point, I think I am pulling for Kimberly to win the whole thing. I'm not an India fan at all. I acknowledge that she is a skilled singer but I can't see myself buying her music. Josh - don't think he'll win but I could conceivably be interested in his original work once the show ends. Same with Meghan; I think I'll want to hear her original work after the show.

• Love 1

I was shocked and excited when India at the last minute beat out Cory. I would have rather had Hannah, but better then having to put up with Cory for another week.

I really want Koryn to go home. Hopefully next week.

• Love 4

Hannah should never have gotten this far. Mia Z finally had her revenge.

India was the one at a disadvantage in the Twitter Save. Hannah and Corey are from Texas and Oklahoma, respectively, both in the Central time zone. India is a student at UCLA which is Pacific.

• Love 2

I'd much rather have seen Hannah stay, but since I only watch sporadically, this doesn't really matter all that much. Do hope that douchebag Adam doesn't have this season's winner.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 2
I don't find it at all overdone on this show at all. In fact, it's refreshing! (Even though I admit both guys left have guitars. To me, it's a welcome relief from TWWB = "The Women Who Belt", of which there are still too many, imo!

Yes!  This!  Thank you...you have crystalized my thoughts exactly.

Not sad at either of the eliminations and glad Josh made it through.  If I am forced to sit and watch paint dry, I'd be happy to listen to him sing during the drying process.

• Love 1

I was shocked and excited when India at the last minute beat out Cory. I would have rather had Hannah, but better then having to put up with Cory for another week.

I was also shocked, and super excited. Cory was so bland and boring to me. I know part of that is just my aversion to country music, but to be honest, I thought his best performance was yesterday's very country duet with that guy I don't know. That was a decidely country song, but I enjoyed it enough, and Cory seemed animated for once. But thankfully, he's gone.  I am particularly happy that India is still here. She's always been a favorite of mine, even if I think she makes the worst song choices.  I think she's got it in her to really kill it (like she once did with her "Stay" duet), so I hope to see that next week.  Hannah - okay, I admit she has an excellent voice - but she was always so awkward to me. I couldn't deal. And her song choices were just wrong.  So, these are the best results I could have hoped for....except that one dude is still here, and I'm so not a fan, I can't remember his name. Adam's guy.  If things kept going my way, that guy, Sawyer, and/or Koryn would be gone next. 

ETA: Josh! His name is Josh. I knew that.

Edited by hks

I don't understand why they had Cory singing a song about drinking alcohol when he's underage to drink.  So odd.  I didn't care for the song and thought it was rather painful.  I do think Cory did the best he could throughout the season.  IMO, he's just not a vocalist.

Sad to see Hannah leave.  At least she was amusing to watch. I looked forward to seeing what  she was going to do with a song.

India is less popular now than before she got the benefit of coaching. It's like she's gone backwards.  Does it take an expert to figure out that the oversinging and runs are not translating into votes for her?  With the right coaching, I think she could turn it around.  

Sawyer is still my favorite, though, I think he is not using all of his potential.  I'm not sure why.  

I like Joshua too, but I think we've seen him at this best. 

Love Meghan, but boy was I shocked she was not in the bottom 3 last night.  She is truly fortunate, but if her next song isn't really special, I may not continue to give her my votes.  

Edited by SunnyBeBe

I think this is a very good Top 6. I would replace Joshua and India with Brooke and Mia, but they are really really good. (Even including Joshua and India, they just aren't my type.) 

Corey needed to go. He probably shouldn't have even made top 12. I'm glad we got some rational results. 

Hannah though, I thought she killed the other two during her save me performance. But she went first so she was never going to win. 

edit: I don't think it's the oversinging that's causing India vote problems. First of all, she never sold well on itunes. And second, her vibrato is so obnoxious that even I can't stand it. (And I can stand a lot of goat vibratos.) 

Edited by mercfan3
  • Love 1

Wow, Blake's lack of praise for Corey was glaring, "If you like country music, and you want to see a country artist on the show, you should vote for Corey. "--I paraphrase from memory.

I think he may be the one country performer that Blake doesn't do much to help post-show because his voice just isn't that good. If only Cody had been a better performer. Alas...

• Love 1

I don't know, he helped RaeLynn, and as much as I wasn't crazy about Corey, he's significantly better than her. 

I think Corey represents current country to Blake, and even though that's the type of music Blake sings (because it sells) he's a bigger fan of older country. 

• Love 2

Miranda loved RaeLynn- I think she saw herself in her. Blake has never seemed that enthused about Corey.

I just realized the worst part of losing Hannah (whom I always looked forward to-despite Blake's awful song choices for her )--no more Hannah's mom!! How I love Hannah's mom!

• Love 2

Kind of wished they eliminated more people. I'm not excited about anyone. I guess Kimberly and Joshua would rank as my favorites right now. They're seasoned pros and when they're in their elements, their performances are very enjoyable for me.  But these two are not enough. I need to be more entertained.  Meghan is becoming less appealing. She is too inconsistent, is too loud, doesn't seem to enjoy herself. I really dislike Koryn's and India's singing/performance styles. Sawyer...nice kid, but I ain't buying what he's selling.  

With the benefit of hindsight, I wish some of the other pros like Sarah and Tonya were kept even though I understood the strategic decisions (demographic appeal, need for more diversity, very weak itunes sales).  Sarah might be better than Meghan and Hannah. Tonya probably would have been different enough from the other R&B/soul singers (I think her style is older/classic R&B given that she chose Stevie Wonder for her knockout) and I prefer Adam's style of having his contestants dial back the runs and ad-libs. 

I'm going to try and finish out this season, but more out of habit than anything else. This is the third consecutive season of underwhelming talent for me. I'm pretty sure I'm done after this. Show fatigue, declining talent pool, tired coaches' schticks, overdone songs, etc.

Hannah should never have gotten this far. Mia Z finally had her revenge.

You mean ol' mushmouth Mia? I thought she left at the appropriate time...even Reba told her to enunciate better which Mia wasn't able to do. I could never understand anything she was singing. I started off not liking Hannah at all but she grew on me. She wasn't going to win this, so I was OK with her being sent packing last night. I was so sure the Twitter save was going to be Corey so I was as shocked as India (her scream!) when Corey was sent home. He was well past his expiration date, IMO, so I am pretty happy with how it all turned out.

• Love 1