Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E22: Live Top 8 Eliminations

• Start Topic

I still think Cory Wickham could have (with different coaching advice) made it to the end, but a Pharrell or Christina win will be better than a win for Blake and another country guy so I'm okay with that.

Looks like probably F2 of Sawyer v. Kimberley with Sawyer winning, though song choice might give an upset to Kim/Christina. Doesn't matter much in a way, because I think post-show Pharrell will do something with Sawyer but Kim will be on her own and might, possibly, be able to use the win to advance her career.

India was so good with the "Stay" duet, and seemed like a frontrunner in her audition. But I think she's been ruined by Christina's coaching -- and apparently her own "buy in" that all those runs and overdoing it is what it means to be a "pop" singer.  If she got rid of about 80% of the tricks and had a good song choice, she might still surprise at the end.

I don't think Joshua will get much farther and Meaghan will be lucky to reach F3.

• Love 1

I still think Cory Wickham could have (with different coaching advice) made it to the end, but a Pharrell or Christina win will be better than a win for Blake and another country guy so I'm okay with that.

Did you mean Cody Wickline?  He would've been one of the few country guys I'd have loved to see get to this point.

Did you mean Cody Wickline?  He would've been one of the few country guys I'd have loved to see get to this point.

Yes, thanks, Wickline. (And I was so pleased I remembered someone's last name, for a change. :)) I really think he had something and, while Cory was cute and pleasant--could even see him having a career--his singing is just so completely forgettable. And with no soul/jazz singers left (or, maybe they are but it's buried under all the vocal melodramatics) there's just no one I'm looking forward to hearing each week. With Sawyer and Josh at one end of the "emoting" spectrum and all the women at the other, there's just no middle ground where, apparently, my taste is.  (And if I had to choose, "less is more"). 

But... still hoping to be surprised.  Just funny to think to a week or two before the lives and how different I thought the F6 would be back then. Oh well, I'm still hoping for a season of "The Voice: Fan Favorites Who Never Got Far Enough".

Add me to those who would have preferred Hannah stay, but are happy that Corey finally went home.

But this does actually demonstrate the power of the country voting block.  It’s ridiculous that Corey came that close to being saved despite singing before India and giving us a completely lackluster and off tune performance. 

Not that India or Hannah’s performances were all that great either, but at least they showed some enthusiasm and weren’t pitchy.

I’m actually quite happy with this Top 6 and think it’s the strongest since Season 3.  All 6 have accumulated at least some merits for making the final.  Not that I don’t have my preferences.  My personal ranking stands as follows:

1. Kimberly
2. Koryn
3. Sawyer
4. Meghan
5. Joshua
6. India

Basically I’ll be happy if Team Pharrell or Team Xtina get the win.

Despite everything that's been said about the WGWG's, I think only one has ever won The Voice so far - last year, right?

Well, Javier Colon was sort of a BGWG.  I mean, other than being a black Hispanic, his performances, song selection and musical style were very much in the WGWG tradition (even if he did occasionally drop the guitar in favor of a piano).  In many ways he was very similar to AI’s Clark.

I was sad to see Hannah go. She was one of my favorites this season and I wish she had gone further.

No offense to Cory, but if he had stayed over India, I think it would've been unfair. India hasn't impressed me in the same way that she did with her blind audition, but she deserved to move on.

Koryn has grown on me so I'm glad she moved on to the Top 6. I'm also happy for Sawyer and Kimberly who look to be the strongest contenders for the win at this point of the competition.

• Love 1

I don't mind people more liked for their dancing and personality getting to the top 8 but your singing better be stellar to get lower than that.  Fortunately Hannah went home.  Same with the country singer. 

Edited by angelita100
  • Love 1

Looks like probably F2 of Sawyer v. Kimberley with Sawyer winning, though song choice might give an upset to Kim/Christina. Doesn't matter much in a way, because I think post-show Pharrell will do something with Sawyer but Kim will be on her own and might, possibly, be able to use the win to advance her career.

India was so good with the "Stay" duet, and seemed like a frontrunner in her audition. But I think she's been ruined by Christina's coaching -- and apparently her own "buy in" that all those runs and overdoing it is what it means to be a "pop" singer. If she got rid of about 80% of the tricks and had a good song choice, she might still surprise at the end.

I don't think Joshua will get much farther and Meaghan will be lucky to reach F3.

The finale will have 4 people in it.

Does anyone know if they are going to go straight from the Top 6 to the final?

The only contestant who I think is a sure thing for the final no matter how they do is Sawyer.   The rest are close enough that it may just come down to how they perform next week.

Edited by viajero

And I don't know why they bother with Twitter sing offs because the last person going always wins. In the 3 weeks of finals, Hannah had gone first twice and third once. How's that for fairness?

Hasn't it been confirmed that the Sing-For-Your-Life performances are in order of how the coaches sit? So I can't see that there's a conspiracy by the show to put anyone last, unless it's two singers from the same team.

But this does actually demonstrate the power of the country voting block.  It’s ridiculous that Corey came that close to being saved despite singing before India and giving us a completely lackluster and off tune performance. 

I think it shows the opposite...that the all powerful country voting block is more of a myth.  People don't blindly vote for contestants in a particular genre. Quality/execution matters.  Same goes for Joshua last week.  Despite solid support (as evidenced by itunes) for Joshua over the past few weeks, many people didn't vote for Joshua's one horrible performance. They actually care about the quality.

I think it shows the opposite...that the all powerful country voting block is more of a myth.  People don't blindly vote for contestants in a particular genre. Quality/execution matters.  Same goes for Joshua last week.  Despite solid support (as evidenced by itunes) for Joshua over the past few weeks, many people didn't vote for Joshua's one horrible performance. They actually care about the quality.

From what I've read, a huge chunk of the country block flat out rejected Corey. (Didn't seem genuinely country)

Personally, I think there's a Blake voting block, and to an extent an Adam voting block (that's just not as strong.) But people have always cared about quality of the contestant on The Voice. Which is one of the reasons why I like the show. 

And I actually thought Hannah was the best of the three. She missed some lines, but the chorus was in tune...which beats the other two. 

Edited by mercfan3
Hannah was my only reason to watch, and she's gone.  At least she clearly has the most don't-give-a-fuck attitude

I agree.  So refreshing.

India just tweeted that she beat Corey by two votes!

I find this impossible to believe.

Carson talked earlier about the "Oklahoma voting block" being their largest. Kind of interesting that even though India's geographical base would be in the West (v. Corey/Blake from Oklahoma), she still won. I guess I thought he was more popular than he really was (fortunately).

• Love 1