Type keyword(s) to search

S07.E09: Divine Inspiration

• Start Topic

This one had me up until the lip sync. They both should have sashayed. That was the worst LSFYL in years. Pearl and her entitled attitude can leave next week, thank you very much.

On the plus side, Katya was hilarious and Ginger was channelling Edith Massey like there was a psychic connection from beyond the grave. THIS should have been the tie. My guess is Ru felt Ginger's brand of Watersesque lunacy was more detailed and controlled.

• Love 10

I loved Katya tonight, and I frankly agree with you about Pearl. Miss Fame was overdue for the sashay, but I'd be fine with Pearl following her out the door. I doubt it will happen, though...I fear she'll stick around til the bitter end.

I can't see Katya winning this, but damn, I love her!! Her talking heads are hilarious and she's not afraid to go there. She's what Trixie thinks she is...funny, wild, and engaging.

• Love 11

That lipsync was on some Honey Mahogany/Vivienne Pinay level of terrible. I previously had thought that Pearl was trying to channel rocker girl energy in her "Dreaming" lip sync but clearly that's all she can do. "I Really Don't Care" is such a high energy song and neither one of them brought it. 

• Love 4

All three of the Poo girls were bad.  I would've had a three way lip sync.  I guess Violet's "bad" dress saved her ass. 

Katya really cracked me up.  She took a nothing part and ran with it.    Actually, everyone did well, except for the trio.

The lip sync was just all sorts of bad.  Was Pearl purposefully acting like a robot or anime character?  I thought maybe they were starting off slowly to build up at the end, but no, just low energy and flat.

• Love 5

Fair results from the winner to the bottom/queen sent home. Katya and even Kennedy did a really good job on the challenge but damm Ginger KILLED IT! From her looks to her delivery.. The queen can be a little bitch sometimes but I really like how she gives her all on challenges and really is not afraid to look ugly in order to entertain the audience (this challenge was really good to call out the queens that only relies on be beautifull). As far the bottom, Violet, Fame and Pearl all did a poor job but Pearl and Fame had characters that they really could stood out with it and they didnt (also their idea of ugly dress, specially Pearl..c´mon!).

And agree about the above comment on how weak the lipsync was.. Pear is really good at serve intense face but she needs to step up with her moves/body language, and Fame just exposed how green she is as a performer, that was beyond boring and disconnected so no doubt that this was her time.

As overall I think we have the right top 6 (would consider to have Max over a couple of girls left tho)... some queens needs to step up more and prove that they deserved to make the finale instead of finish 6th-4th (specially Trixie and Pearl.. yep they won last week but they still need to prove they can be strong by themselves) so lets just see..

Edited by Guiaoshi
  • Love 2
This one had me up until the lip sync. They both should have sashayed. That was the worst LSFYL in years.

Maybe the worst LSFYL ever.  Neither of them looked like they were even trying.

This is what I mean when I say that this season a bunch of the competitors barely seem like they have the drive or energy to even zip up their gowns before they go out on the runway.   It's a damn insult to the tons of queens out there who have tried and tried and tried to get on the show and have to watch way too many of the cast this season act like they don't even really care much.  And the biggest insult of all will be if Pearl wins this thing, which I could really see Ru doing.

• Love 4

I think I need to watch the episode again because I didn't think Violet was that bad as Babs. It certainly wasn't a challenge winner's performance, but in addition to having the best Divine hair and makeup, I really thought she gave strong facial expressions that were very much Pink Flamingos. I didn't think Kennedy and Trixie's Divine's were so much better. Meh, I guess they were all safe in the end so whatever.

You couldn't have handed Ginger a better role than Edith Massey. She was made for the role. Since the beginning of the competition, I've thought it was Ginger's season to lose. She's definitely taking the crown. The only queen within her league performance wise is Katya, and Katya can't seem to win another challenge. I've given up Katya winning anything again since she couldn't even take the women's prison mini-challenge doing a Pussy Riot look with gingivitis for the crime of smuggling geese into the Ukraine. She manages to find character in characters with none or very little and make it work.

I previously had thought that Pearl was trying to channel rocker girl energy in her "Dreaming" lip sync but clearly that's all she can do.

Right?! I thought the same thing. I feel sort of stupid for thinking she was channeling Blondie and New Wave with her "Dreaming" lip-sync only to learn nah, she's just a shitty lip-syncer. One of those cases where I read too much into the performance. This was absolutely the worse lip-sync in the history of the show for me. At least in the case of Honey vs Vivienne, the editing wasn't pretending it was good, and they both left. This was just pitiful to watch.

• Love 5

I don't necessarily think it's so much Pearl being a shitty lip syncer as her just having no idea what to do with a song like this. I've enjoyed many of her performances outside the show (although they were after the show was filmed, so she might have improved) and uptempo pop songs is as far as it gets from what she usually does. That said, I would've been fine with a double elimination in this one - I love Pearl, but she's had her time to shine, and she's way too inconsistent to get the title at this point.

I so wanted Katya to get this win. Ginger killed it, but Katya's performance was so very Katya and I loved it. We don't get to see much of her humor (outside of witty confessionals) so I was very glad she got this chance to go balls to the wall. Kennedy was definitely one of the better ones, but I didn't find her all that funny.

As for the runway, Ginger kind of looked like she always does, Kennedy and Katya looked terrible (as they were supposed to), Violet looked aggressively ugly (which I loved) and the rest were way too pretty.

• Love 3

Trixie winning the reading confused me. She was good but not nearly as good as some of the others. Did they edit something out?

Katya pretty much ruled the episode. Ginger was great too, and I love her more often than not, but sometimes she comes off as meaner or more above the rest than she has to, you know? But her and Katya are my favs. I don't even know who else I want in the final three. Pearl doesn't deserve it. Violet mostly annoy me. Kennedy has great moments but then I kind of forget she's there for some reason? Trixie also has very good moments, but top 3? Eh.

Pearl has gotta go soon, right?

Edited by joelene
  • Love 3

Worst LSFYL ever! So just walking around and randomly waviig your arms around is what Pearl and Fame consider performing to be? They were both so lazy that if one of them had put in the slightest amount of effort, they would have easily won. Instead it was totally boring because nothing happened the entire time. I'm not saying I needed splits or a wig being ripped off either, just that they were both so bad. It seemed like neither of them was even half assing it. Maybe they were quarter assing it.

I was hoping for a three way elimination after the lackluster Poo performance. I guess Violet's crazy clown outfit was enough for her to scrape by. The good thing about having Pearl and Fame in the bottom is that I knew I'd be happy no matter who went home. The bad thing is that I knew no matter who won, I would still be annoyed that we were stuck with the non-loser for at least another week.

Ginger killed it during her skit with Trixie but Katya definitely deserved a lot of credit for taking a pretty thankless role and creating something memorable and funny.

• Love 6

All three of the Poo girls were bad.  I would've had a three way lip sync.  I guess Violet's "bad" dress saved her ass. 

The Poo girls were awful!  One, I thought they were supposed to be pregnant.  I didn't understand they were "trying" to be fat until the judges commented on it.  Two, it wasn't until the final video that I realized that it was angel/devil scenario.  FAIL all around!

I felt Katya should've taken the reading challenge and I was impressed w/Pearl's willingness to even pretend to go there w/Ru.

I don't understand why Katya didn't win the reading challenge.  And how could the not show Ru's face when that one queen, I think it was Miss Fame, bombed all the reads?

• Love 3

ITA re: Worst LSFYL Ever. And that Honey/Vivienne one from a couple years ago was BAD. I like Fame but I thing Fame and Pearl should've sashayed away in homage to the Honey/Vivienne double elimination. It's funny that Violet's ugly dress is what most likely saved her from the LSFYL, I thought the Poo performance was THE worst and all three of them were just awful.

I so enjoyed watching Kennedy/Katya and Ginger/Trixie's screen tests, it's too bad those four couldn't all be the winners, I was LOL'ing pretty much the whole time we saw their homages to the world of John Waters.

I heart John Waters so much (I'm an hour away from Baltimore so every time I saw him last night I thought of the riots happening) and am so glad RPDR focused an episode on his and Divine's legacy. Demi seems nice, don't know much about her, and I was glad to see Carson back.

Forgot to mention the library finally being open: I would have chosen Katya for the win, her reads were on point.

I still have "eggs eggs eggs!" stuck in my head. :-D

Edited by Kaboom 2.0
  • Love 3

I felt Katya should've taken the reading challenge and I was impressed w/Pearl's willingness to even pretend to go there w/Ru.

Why not go there? Based on how she's been treated, Pearl could wipe her ass with one of Ru's wigs, and Ru would congratulate her for "stepping it up."

(That said, I suspect her time is almost up. I fully expect a Trixie vs. Pearl lipsync rematch.)

• Love 3

This was just sad. John Waters is royalty, and the "musical" bits were painfully awful. It wasn't that the girls were terrible (though Violet and Fame and Pearl certainly were), it's that the material was absolutely terrible and nobody could have done it justice. It was great that Ginger was so perfect as Edith Massey, but who could have guessed that? Katya really enhanced her role for sure, but if she hadn't decided to go for it like that, she would have been left doing nothing.

I do not get why Pearl keeps getting saved. Even Violet, who doesn't appear to be trying too hard, looks like a firecracker next to Pearl, who isn't just lazy, but also kind of insufferable. I can only imagine the editors hate the production's insistence on keeping her there, because why else would you make her look so entitled and sad?

• Love 3

Kennedy continues to surprise me. She was almost as good as Ginger. Katya could also have won, frankly.

This season started out slow but it continues to improve. Even Pearl and Violet are growing on me. Trixie seems to be determined to make the most of her chance. Fame was dragging the room down and she was overdue for the boot.

• Love 2

Pearl, who isn't just lazy, but also kind of insufferable.

The thing is, there is a significant chunk of RPDR fandom that worship Pearl precisely because of her being the way she is. Somehow being laconic and entitled (and making gif-able perturbed faces) has become a talent on par with singing, dancing and bringing the funny. For whatever reason, I think the folks at WOW understood this when casting her and keeping her this long.

Also, after a night to ponder - I'm not so sure Ru got it wrong the first time with Trixie. I would rate her performance competent at best. She gives good quip and has a unique look, but as a performer, meh. I would rank her fourth this week - but with a gaping chasm between fourth and third. Kasha was robbed. She would have killed a Waters challenge.

• Love 2

I would have LOVED to have seen a musical version of the "I guess there's just two kinds of people, Miss Sandstone" scene from Pink Flamingos:

...instead of the dogshit scene, but I suppose they would have had to have gotten a trio number elsewhere (plus that scene from PF doesn't have a drag queen).

• Love 1

Oh, wow, this was one of those strange Untucked episodes where I found myself liking pretty much everyone, including Ginger and Kennedy. I guess it's not a coincidence that they've been enjoyable during the weeks that they've performed well, though - it's the occasional bitterness I sort of have a problem with.

Katya is insane in the very best way. I love that Ginger and Pearl both said they wouldn't mind her winning. Pearl and Trixie are my favorite personalities, but based on their performances I don't think either of them winning could be justified, so my horse in this race is most definitely Katya. 

From the recap:

Meanwhile, the workroom revives the Fame/Pearl feud, with Fame saying yet again that Pearl doesn't care enough and Pearl saying Fame is insane. And there's something about the way they're behaving that makes me think they're attracted to each other. Will there be kai-kai?!?!

I thought this, too! There was a weird tension there.

• Love 3

I thought Pearl's lip sync started off well, but just kind of petered out.  Meanwhile, Miss Fame was just generic in her delivery, but her face is just arresting.  So on a meta level, the lip sync worked...

That was just a terrific idea for a challenge, and so cool to have John Waters as a judge.

I would have LOVED to have seen a musical version of the "I guess there's just two kinds of people, Miss Sandstone" scene from Pink Flamingos

This reminds me that I thought team Pink Flamingos Poo Scene definitely had the worst script of the bunch. I would have preferred Babs and Crackers licking everything at the Marbles home myself. Violet didn't even get the opportunity to eat the poop. What the hell!? For a trio, there were various scenes from Female Trouble and Multiple Maniacs that could have been adapted. Team Pink Flamingos Eggs Scene wasn't much better script wise either. It wasn't balanced at all between the characters for me. I would have much preferred a scene with Edie and the Egg Man, that's something everyone could ham up. Only the Christmas ChaCha heels scene hit the mark for me.

The thing is, there is a significant chunk of RPDR fandom that worship Pearl precisely because of her being the way she is. Somehow being laconic and entitled (and making gif-able perturbed faces) has become a talent on par with singing, dancing and bringing the funny. For whatever reason, I think the folks at WOW understood this when casting her and keeping her this long.

So having a gif-able face and being nonchalant is a talent?  Something to be desired in a drag queen?  Good lord I hope this isn't a trend for the upcoming seasons or I'm out for good.  I can't stand a season full of Pearl-ish type of queens =(  Especially if they are going to be rewarded for this type of behavior.  Maybe I'm just too old for RPDR now

• Love 3

Just watched Untucked online. Did Kennedy actually doze off on the sofa?? If so that may have upped my love of her, that and her keeping in character, walking as the elderly church lady back to the stage when no one was really around to see it.

I am anti-smoking but I love the scenes of queens outside of the studio smoking especially Ginger and Katya. They had me lol'ing with their jokes and observations and...whatever the hell Katya was doing standing on top of the street grate. LOL If Ginger doesn't win the crown I really hope Katya does!

• Love 3

I kind of wish the older queens this season had been in season six and the younger queens last season were in this one. Because the older, more skilled queens this season really don't feel like they have much in the way of competition here and the younger queens are just belly flopping and bigger personalities like Adore, Joslyn, Laganja and Gia would be much welcomed to liven them up.

I feel kind of bad for Fame in that usually if you're not that great at anything on the show but make it this far, you get something to show for it anyway. Alyssa Edwards killed her lip syncs and was ridiculously quotable, Laganja was one of the more memorable characters of a memorable season, Trinity got to crawl out of her shell and be funny for two episodes and killed at her lip syncs, etc. Fame pretty much peaked in the initial Spring/Fall runway mini-challenge and then never really got a chance to shine.

• Love 1

LOL If Ginger doesn't win the crown I really hope Katya does!

ITA!  Ginger and Katya have really been the only 2 I've seen that have kept me laughing through out the season.  Actually now that I think of it let's just give it to Ginger, bad behavior on Untucked aside I still like her and honestly I haven't seen her do anything really over-the-top mean compared to previous seasons.

Speaking of crowning a winner--with all the changes they are having this season I wonder if that means they are going to change that STUPID live finale business.  It's been the downfall, IMO, for every good season from S4 on.  Go back to S1-3 where you just have the queens sitting there bitching about each other.  I have noticed there hasn't been any announcements for tickets for sale to the grand finale in Vegas or L.A.  I think usually by this time, there is something indicating tickets for purchase. 

• Love 2

So having a gif-able face and being nonchalant is a talent?  Something to be desired in a drag queen?  Good lord I hope this isn't a trend for the upcoming seasons or I'm out for good.  I can't stand a season full of Pearl-ish type of queens =(  Especially if they are going to be rewarded for this type of behavior.  Maybe I'm just too old for RPDR now

We are one. I had to leave reddit this season after a tolerably fun time there last year (we were all united in our Laganja bewilderment), and I get queasy whenever someone mentions all of Pearl's "Instagram followers". WTF does that have to do with anything? Are 13 year olds really the key to the monetization of this show? I paid for VIP tickets to see last season's top four perform--because they were all performers. Even Adore, who was just a baby, sang her ass off and gave her whole heart to the crowd. I'm not giving Pearl money to sneer at me in a "cute" way.

• Love 5

Are 13 year olds really the key to the monetization of this show?

Really, they aren't - but many fans of Pearl and the other runway queens don't want to hear that. They live inside a little bubble where being able to sing, act, dance, tell a joke (or even perform a killer lip sync) is passe. Many of them look fondly back on the first two seasons where more of the challenges were look based. They forget BeBe and Tyra pretty much faded from view by the time the Absolut tour was over and the queens with careers are the entertaining ones like Raven and Pandora. Ironically - most of them have not actually seen the early seasons (and some of them can't even watch the current one unless somebody gives them an illegal link). By July they'll have forgotton all about it anyway - as they start scouring the social media for season 8 casting clues and speculating on the new cast. That, and creating endless threads asserting that Alaska was robbed. 

Edited by SteveAC10
  • Love 5

Speaking of crowning a winner--with all the changes they are having this season I wonder if that means they are going to change that STUPID live finale business.  It's been the downfall, IMO, for every good season from S4 on.  Go back to S1-3 where you just have the queens sitting there bitching about each other.  I have noticed there hasn't been any announcements for tickets for sale to the grand finale in Vegas or L.A.  I think usually by this time, there is something indicating tickets for purchase.

I think I just saw Raven posting about finale tickets on FB.

Color me still very unimpressed with Kennedy Davenport. She told Ru she could sing and we get that kind of performance ? She could barely carry a tune. She really sucks. kataya was super hilarious.

Add me to thinking and hoping for a double elimination. On Untucked Pearl was mad at Fame for what she said on to the judges but did pearl give 2 craps that everyone called outnFame? I'm sure Miss Fame felt awful that everyone said she should be eliminated ab

No yet Pearl felt like Miss Zfame should grovel and apologize? Pearl is very entitled. I did think it was funny that her dress had wiggly eyes on it.

• Love 3

That was a pretty shitty song to lip sync to. Miss Fame deserved to go home because she really has zero performance skills whatsoever other than looking good. She is probably one of the weakest contestants on RPDR ever if judged solely on stage charisma and performance skill. Pearl can sashay out the door next after her.

It could have been Meryl Streep, Anne Hathaway and Emma Stone doing that grotesque poo scene and it still would have been awful.  All three scenes were heinous imo.  When Ru said Ginger was deeply disturbing she wasn't kidding.  Whatever producer is thinking up/writing the challenges is epically failing.  I love the queens so I'll watch no matter what they're doing but the challenges so far have been acting/singing for the most part and not interesting in the least.  I guess I don't have the John  Water's appreciation gene.  Runway sucked ass as well.  

I love Pearl's lip synching.  It's true performance art for me.  I don't need a lot of flailing around, splits, hair tossing, clothes flying off etc. to enjoy a lip synch.  Everyone has their own style and not everyone goes for the funny or foolish.  Fame did a good job as well.  Especially since they were dressed in the most hideous drag I've seen so far.  Fame looked like a hot air balloon and Pearl looked like a hello kitty reject. 

I thought Pearl looked so adorable. Look, there is a reason they are keeping Pearl around, she's effing cute. AND she did try to read Rupaul. I kinda love her for that.

When I first saw Ginger in the crib I was so shocked. She looked exactly like Honey Boo Boo!! Did no one else see that?

Usually Reading is Fundamental has me in stitches. I barely smiled. Girls... wtf?? Fame was truly TERRIBLE but none of the other girls were making me guffaw much either. Man alive, this season is missing some MSG or something.

I thought Trixie was lacklustre, it might have been cos she was with Ginger who definitely deserved to win. I'm a big Trixie fan but as she pointed out every comeback queen has had a very short reign. I'm scared!

I'm shocked but Kennedy is doing really well. Depending on the next challenge, I think it might be Pearl or Violet to go home.

There seem to be so few sewing challenges this season!! I loved the workroom interaction and the creativity of those challenges - what's going on?

I did say Violet for the win and while I still want her to win, I suspect it might be Ginger or Katya.

BTW I was shocked at the hate between Fame and Trixie!! They USED to love each other!! I mean, they were virtually conjoined at the beginning of the season - oh dear oh dear.

• Love 1
They forget BeBe and Tyra pretty much faded from view by the time the Absolut tour was over
BeBe was a great lip syncer! She also did fine in the performance challenges in her season. She shouldn't be dismissed as just a look queen. 
  • Love 2

Watching this John Waters-themed episode on a day when my city was really going through it actually ... helped.  I love my city and the people in it and it did my heart good to see our weirdness and creativity celebrated on the world stage.

• Love 6

I hate the way Trixie paints.  I know its supposed to be over the top, like Bianca Del Rio's paint, but Trixie's paint does not create an interesting character.  I think she thinks she's better than we think she is.

Every season I wait on the edge of my seat for The Library To Open.  This year, all I got were ridge marks on my ass.

• Love 5
Watching this John Waters-themed episode on a day when my city was really going through it actually ... helped.  I love my city and the people in it and it did my heart good to see our weirdness and creativity celebrated on the world stage.

Praying for the people in Baltimore!  I have been waiting for John Waters as a guest judge for awhile so this entire episode dedicated to his movies was GREAT!  It was a brilliant idea I just wish some (a lot) of the queens were up to the challenge.  I got to meet J.W. once at a horror convention and listen to his Q&A--wow what a wonderful guy.  He has a great sense of humor about himself.

I agree this Library session was meh.  Some made me smile a bit and Pearl reading Ru was cute but remember Bianca read Ru last year during the Snatch game was waaay funnier. 

Edited by Dirtybubble
  • Love 2
There seem to be so few sewing challenges this season!! I loved the workroom interaction and the creativity of those challenges - what's going on?

Very little of that on the show this season but luckily Untucked is killer.  Lots of interaction with the queens (and John Waters this week) and good scenes of them just hanging out smoking and cracking each other up.  Also like Raja and Raven's show on youtube, they're better than the actual judges.

• Love 1

She just said Ru's name like she was going to read her, and Ru promptly closed the library.

That was a completely lackluster lip sync. It was high time for Fame to go, so I'm down with that. As for who is next, Trixie needs to step up and prove that she deserves to stay or she will be on the chopping block, and while Pearl has grown, her stank attitude is coming back. I think she's grown as far as she can. She's not really a performer and Ru wants a performer.

At this point, I think my top three are Ginger, Katya and either Kennedy or Violet. Kennedy doesn't excite me, but she's done well and of the young glamour girls, Violet has the most spark.

This Untucked bored the hell out of me, though. Ginger and Katya could be entertaining, but I hate that all the queens can just wander off and we are left watching Kennedy snooze on the couch.

• Love 3
This Untucked bored the hell out of me, though. Ginger and Katya could be entertaining, but I hate that all the queens can just wander off and we are left watching Kennedy snooze on the couch.

Untucked in general is boring now. I still enjoy it, but I was thinking if they had to do a lipsync challenge with signature moments as they did in Season 5, what moment could be pulled from this season? I've racked my brain and can't really think of anything that stands out. Untucked sessions like the one accompanying this episode is where I want a little producer manipulation forcing them to be together and not go off to the bathroom or to smoke and to every corner of the Earth. This formula works for general interest and peeling back the curtain a bit, but I want my "trashy" reality TV moments.

• Love 4

Untucked in general is boring now. I still enjoy it, but I was thinking if they had to do a lipsync challenge with signature moments as they did in Season 5, what moment could be pulled from this season? I've racked my brain and can't really think of anything that stands out. Untucked sessions like the one accompanying this episode is where I want a little producer manipulation forcing them to be together and not go off to the bathroom or to smoke and to every corner of the Earth. This formula works for general interest and peeling back the curtain a bit, but I want my "trashy" reality TV moments.

Season 5 and season 6 were insanely quotable. What have we got this season besides "no tea, no shade, no pink lemonade"? TBH I don't even bother with Untucked at this point.

Also I didn't like kennedy's runway look at all. I get it is supposed to be ugly but her look was literally just an old lady's Sunday church dress, which would have worked better if it were a challenge where they had to dress old.

Edited by Mattipoo
  • Love 2