Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I disagree. I saw On the Twentieth Century and could barely follow what the hell was going on in that medley.  If you didn't know the show well, I think you would be totally lost.

I also didn't think that much of the material of OTTC though I did think the cast did their best with it. However, I don't think you're ever really supposed to follow what's going on plotwise... especially with medleys. Even The King and I was kind of a mess.

I noted this yesterday, and here are the ratings numbers from last night (I'm only doing the 2 major live events):

Time Net Show 18-49 Rating/Share Viewers (Million)

8:00 ABC NBA Finals Game 2 - Live (8-11:24PM) 7.1/19 18.8

CBS Tony Awards - Live (8-11PM) 0.9/3 6.35

Not really close.

I also didn't think that much of the material of OTTC though I did think the cast did their best with it. However, I don't think you're ever really supposed to follow what's going on plotwise... especially with medleys. Even The King and I was kind of a mess.

No, I don't think you are supposed to be able to follow the plot- but a medley performs the highlights.  For "The King and I", which has the advantage of being somewhat (very?) well-known as a part of popular culture, you get to see a little bit of all the best parts. It is almost like nostalgia.  For something like OTTC, which is obscure except for a few people- you just end up wondering "WTF was that?"

The closer we get to the Hamil-Tonys the more excited I am. I think it kind of sucks for all the other shows that came out this year (and this is a very strong year) that they came out against Hamilton because it's going to get all the press that shows tend to share going into the tourist season this year. Hopefully Waitress, Color Purple, Shuffle Along and all the other shows will still get a sales bump since its still pretty impossible to get Hamilton tickets.

That being said, I'm most looking forward to the Hamilton crew picking up all their awards and performing. I live way too far from New York to see Hamilton there and even the cities it's going to next year aren't doable for me, so I live and die with every official performance I get to see. (Fingers crossed they don't do Alexander Hamilton again because I really want to see something different like My Shot or Battle of Yorktown.)

• Love 1
(edited)

The only Broadway shows I have ever seen are touring productions of Rent and Phantom that came to Syracuse and the only music from Hamilton that I have ever heard were snippets on the Grammy's and yet I am going to watch the entire Tony's tonight.

Lin-Manuel Miranda just oozes charisma and I loved his rapped acceptance speech at the Grammy's.  I'm just really looking forward to seeing whatever parts of the show are played tonight as lame as that is.

Bahahahaha told you I'm a noob.  Just pretend I wrote this NEXT Sunday.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 3
9 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

On the off-chance that anyone hasn't seen this yet, I give you Carpool Karaoke, Broadway style

As far as I'm concerned, this cannot be shared too many times. 

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 5:53 PM, mojoween said:

Lin-Manuel Miranda just oozes charisma and I loved his rapped acceptance speech at the Grammy's.

If you haven't already check out his rapped acceptance speech at the 2008 Tony's for "In the Heights."  For the past few years he's also written (on the fly, I might add) the closing wrap up for each Tony's broadcast.

My favorite Lin-Manuel Miranda moment is still the "To Life" (from 'Fiddler On the Roof') performance with his wedding party as a surprise for his new bride.  I watch again every few months.  I'd post the links for you but I'm at work and the company firewall blocks YouTube.

ETA:  I love the Broadway karaoke clip but sort of take an affront to having the great Audra McDonald sitting in the back seat!

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm excited for the Tony's - I think/hope Corden will be a great host. Brilliant move to do that Carpool Karaoke leading up to the show, too. The Les Mis & Rent moments made *me* go awwwwww and pull up my cast albums. 

I splurged and got a Hamilton re-sale ticket about a month ago, and the show I'm attending is the first one after the Tony's (i.e., next Tuesday night). Figured it would be a fun (and very celebratory) night to see the show!

ETA: CBS released this sneak peek of Wait For It in advance of the Tony's. Squeeeee.

http://www.playbill.com/article/cbs-posts-a-360-degree-immersive-clip-of-hamilton-song

Edited by hendersonrocks
  • Love 3
(edited)
On 6/9/2016 at 9:41 PM, scarynikki12 said:

Have they said what piece the Hamilton crew is performing? 

I suddenly find myself wondering if ANYONE will be performing.

I mean the show WILL go on, but I'm wondering if this massacre in Orlando has the Tony folks totally re-arranging big parts of the show as we speak. Changing out a more somber show for anything really "festive".

Even if it isn't just the timing and sheer number of dead, I don't think it can be ignored that if we're being honest, the majority of the people AT this awards show are members of the LGBT community. Heck, so is a good part of the viewership. It's actually a weird thought to have if the viewership of the Tonys might fall in any calculable way because it's core audience is going to be stuck to the news channels tonight. 

Edited by Kromm
(edited)

Well they say the Tony''s are going on.

Hollywood Reporter ‏@THR

'Hamilton' to Remove Muskets From #Tonys Performance in Light of Orlando Shooting http://thr.cm/Zd1lqi

I get it but in another way it seems odd.. 

Won't even go into the idea that musket is close to a assault weapon.

Edited by tom87

I'm going to be out tonight so I'll probably be late if I watch at all tonight. But I'm throwing out a few people/shows I'm rooting for so someone can cheer them on for me if they win.

Eclipsed, Noises Off, The Color Purple, Leslie Odom Jr., Cynthia Errivo, Saycon Sengbloh, Danielle Brooks

Beowulf Boritt (best scenic design of a play)

Fisher/Eisenhauer (best lighting design of a musical)

Not Jeff Daniels, Not Frank Langella, Not Michelle Williams, Not Andrea Martin

Not Jeff Mashie (best costume design of a musical)

FYI, a new block of tickets to Hamilton will be going on sale tonight at 11:10pm Eastern on Ticketmaster for shows between the end of January and May.  

And I'm loving this opening!

• Love 2
9 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

FYI, a new block of tickets to Hamilton will be going on sale tonight at 11:10pm Eastern on Ticketmaster for shows between the end of January and May.  

And I'm loving this opening!

This opening was amazing. If I got to host the Tonys, I'd want to sing all my favorite show-tunes, too.

• Love 8

The mention of the atrocity in Orlando was spot on as was the opening number.  I don't watch his chat show but every time I see James Corden I like him a bit more.  I'm so glad Neal Patrick Harris isn't here because I must be the one person on earth who can't stand the sight of him.

Sad that one of the ladies from 'Eclipsed' didn't win because that play was amazing but I hear the actress who did win is fantastic in 'The Humans' so....

RENEE!!! I've loved her since she was Evangeline on One Life to Live, I'm so ecstatic for her!!!!!!

1 minute ago, mightysparrow said:

I'm so glad Neal Patrick Harris isn't here because I must be the one person on earth who can't stand the sight of him.

He's here, they showed him during the opening number, he shaved his head so maybe you didn't recognize him.

1 minute ago, Popples said:

RENEE!!! I've loved her since she was Evangeline on One Life to Live, I'm so ecstatic for her!!!!!!

He's here, they showed him during the opening number, he shaved his head so maybe you didn't recognize him.

I saw him.  I misspoke.  I should have said I'm glad he's not hosting.  That small glimpse is as much NPH as I can take, even without hair.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

Planning to see Shuffle Along in August.  Even though Audra won't be there, Savion Glover will be in the show.  He's genius.

I may die of jealousy.

• Love 1
Just now, Popples said:

I may die of jealousy.

Then I won't mention that the reason we're going is that we have Hamilton tickets.

Oops, I just mentioned that :-)

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Then I won't mention that the reason we're going is that we have Hamilton tickets.

Oops, I just mentioned that :-)

I'll just assume you sold your soul and first born for those. ; ) You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky!

• Love 1
Just now, Popples said:

I'll just assume you sold your soul and first born for those. ; ) You are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO lucky!

Honestly, I got the tickets last October after watching the 60 Minutes show that was rerun tonight.  

Be online at 11:10 tonight!  You can also be lucky!!

• Love 1