Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Just now, DearEvette said:

Man, Marlee Matlin does not age.  She looks fab.

She's a marvel. And I think that's the same gentleman who's been her interpreter forever.

• Love 2

Marlee has been working with the same interpreter for years.  I love watching the two of them together

One of my fave duos EVER and Jack's singing was one of the bright spots in her Celeb Apprentice season.  They're a big reason I want to learn ASL. 

• Love 2
Just now, mightysparrow said:

I had a feeling I wasn't going to escape NPH.  And with Barbra!

Dear god, I hope he's not going to on with Barbra!  I was hoping that was just previews of separate coming attractions.

Speaking of Barbra, I'm finally going to see her in concert on my birthday - so psyched!

• Love 1
Just now, Browncoat said:

You keep throwing these little tidbits out just to keep us jealous, don't you?  :)

Honestly, as I hit post, I realized how conceited I must sound.  Sorry folks!  Sorta :-)

• Love 1
Just now, mojoween said:

Do the Tony's always feature so many people who are known more for Hollywood acting?

I think it's all about trying to get eyeballs on the show.  And some of those folks are tangentially connected to the theatre.  Kinda...

• Love 2
(edited)
10 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Dear god, I hope he's not going to on with Barbra!  I was hoping that was just previews of separate coming attractions.

They've been promoting for much of the telecast. I suspect Babs will be out for Best Play and/or musical given her stature.  With NPH, I suspect they may bring him out for one of the main acting awards like they do at the Oscars and Emmys.

Do the Tony's always feature so many people who are known more for Hollywood acting?

Stars or presenters?  Presenters? Yes.  That's why they usually don't do the "person who won last year for best actor/actress presents this year."  They're usually not famous enough. 

I loved that deaf Spring Awakening performance.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
4 minutes ago, mojoween said:

It's also because a lot of film/tv actors are gravitating to Broadway to get 'street cred'.  It's not always a good thing (looking at you NPH).

2 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

Thank you Hamilton for performing on TV as seeing you now will cost me my kidney, spleen, most of my intestine..and the same organs from at least 3 other people. 

Seriously! One day I can hope to see it because that was amazing. It's coming to the Kennedy Center, but they want you to purchase season tickets and I just can't swing that. Wish I could.

• Love 1
Just now, Popples said:

Seriously! One day I can hope to see it because that was amazing. It's coming to the Kennedy Center, but they want you to purchase season tickets and I just can't swing that. Wish I could.

Don't give up hope.  They want you to buy a subscription, but there will be plenty of single tickets available when they go on sale!

I know Lin Manuel is leaving soon so I would not be able to see him in it, but I hope if I get the opportunity (and I am actively trying) that at least Daveed Diggs, is still there.  His leonine head of hair feels almost iconic for me with this show.  LOL.

• Love 3

I think I was even more excited about watching "Yorktown" just now than when I actually saw the show. "The world turned upsiiiiiiiide down." Love it! I'm probably going to watch that performance 15 more times before I go to bed.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, mightysparrow said:

It's also because a lot of film/tv actors are gravitating to Broadway to get 'street cred'.  It's not always a good thing (looking at you NPH).

I think it's also that these shows are expensive to produce and investors are more comfortable with a known quantity as a headliner.  I remember reading a Broadway actress say once that she did TV to help her get better parts on Broadway.  It's not that you can't go the mainly theater route to increase one's stature.  Stars like Sutton Foster, Audra McDonald and Lin Manuel Miranda pretty much did just that. They do other things but much of that was because of their stage success.  But it helps a lot to have additional recognition that might draw people to check it out. 

*Regardless of how you feel about him (and I like him just fine) I don't think NPH did Broadway for Street Cred.  He was doing theater/Broadway between Doogie and HIMYM. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

Keri Russell looks great after just having a baby! (I love The Americans!!)

She does and is delightful with her love Matthew Rhys on the Slate podcast post-mortems of The Americans

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Like Steve Martin said, it's because he's famous.  Seriously, though, it does look like an interesting show.

He's spending a lot of his own money to keep that show open.

Waitress is a great show, although I was expecting Mueller to outshine the entire cast (don't get me wrong, she's awesome), but her co-stars hold their own. 

How can you not like a show where they bake a pie in the lobby, and sell mini-pies in the theatre?

• Love 3

Heh.  The Book Of Moron.

And Glenn Close as Hillary - I really need this job!  

Chicago - my first Broadway show.  The original in 1976 with Gwen and Chita and Jerry.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, mtlchick said:

Oprah gets a Tony!  Frasier Crane gets a Tony!  EVERYBODY GETS A TONY! (Someone correct if I'm wrong.)

I don't think Frasier got a Tony but Niles Crane sure as heck did.

When I heard they were going to do a Chicago tribute, I was rolling my eyes because I still haven't quite recovered from when the Oscars randomly decided to pay tribute to the movie a few years ago. (Well it felt random. It was done because the Chicago producers were producing the Oscars telecast.)  But then Bebe came out and all my issues went away.  And then they didn't even have her sing the whole thing. Boo.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Chita Rivera is 83 BTW.

Holy crap, no way.

I am still not used to the fact of Alan Rickman's death.

I'm still in complete denial about it, like my mind refuses to comprehend it.

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Quof said:

Three categories left (or is it 4) with 3 minutes to go.  Loved Carpool Karaoke but didn't need to see it again.

Never saw it before so loved it!

• Love 2