Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Here we go, Penny in Your Pocket. LAME. We want Bette!

I feel like this should be funny but I can't focus enough. And DHP kind of has dead eyes.

Bless his heart, he's in an almost no-win situation.  The number is fine, just not what we want tonight.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Here we go, Penny in Your Pocket. LAME. We want Bette!

I love David Hyde Pierce (even if he did beat Raul Esparza for Best Actor in a Musical . . . yes, I know it's been a decade, but I'm not over it yet!), but, man, this does NOT make me want to see the show.

Ooh, a little slit in the back of Metcalf's gown. Wasn't expecting that. 

Well, at least they're sort of giving James Earl Jones some time. 

WOO! Sara!!! Love her so much. Wish I could have seen her one more time in Waitress.

Also, Patina looking gorgeous.

I know this is Rachel's but I'm rooting for Stephanie.

Stephanie's "I'm Breaking Down" is INCREDIBLE. Watch Falsettos when it airs. 

Rachel Bay Jones in a winner dress. GIGANTIC ball gown says give me that Tony. 

The Oh, Hello jokes are lame to me so I went to look up the blue ribbons.

Some Tony Award nominees are wearing politics on their lapels tonight as they walk the red carpet outside of Radio City Music Hall.

The ACLU, Planned Parenthood, and other organizations reached out to many nominees in advance asking them to demonstrate support by wearing ribbons.

http://variety.com/2017/legit/awards/tony-award-nominees-red-carpet-support-aclu-planned-parenthood-ribbons-1202461968/

• Love 3
(edited)

Besides getting to listen to Leslie Odom Jr and Cynthia erivo were the Rockettes really necassary. Im kind of finding this years Tonys really underwhelming nothing has really blown me away.

Edited by shoregirl
  • Love 2

Rebecca trying to make her Trump reference. 

RACHEL CHAVKIN

Make it happen, Tony's. Don't fuck with me.

GOD DAMN IT

Grrr.... angry.

Why in the hell are they playing "Lovely" from Forum for Uma Thurman and not something from Producers?

Just now, aradia22 said:

I want to see War Paint SO BADLY.

I also want to see it.

I do have to say that the camera work on that number made me dizzy.  Not fun...

4 minutes ago, Charlie Baker said:

I do think taking songs out of context and engaging an unfamiliar audience is tricky.

That's why I think the song from Groundhog Day worked best because even though I haven't seen the musical (haven't seen any of these) most people have likely seen the movie so there was context.  The performance was great too.

Although, I do think Come From Away.  There was a lot of narration but it did have a sound that I dig.  Plus, it felt a bit more upbeat than a lot of these songs.  I don't mind slower songs in musicals but I think the bar is higher when it comes to engagement.  But if you have some toe tapping songs?  Much easier to get hooked on.

I've made this joke before but Lucas Steele as Anatole is handsome the way beautiful anime boys are handsome. He doesn't do it for me.

Aw, I love this cast. I love seeing them roam around. 

They did a pretty great job translating the theater to the stage at Radio City. 

And look Scott Rudin, no one is falling into the pit. :/

• Love 1
(edited)

I don't know that I understood what was happening in The Great Comet performance better than some other performances. Except a lot of stuff was happening and it was entertaining.  Very well done.

I should have gone to NY to try to see Josh in this.  But I didn't. Darn fear of flying.

Edited by Irlandesa
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, Irlandesa said:

That's why I think the song from Groundhog Day worked best because even though I haven't seen the musical (haven't seen any of these) most people have likely seen the movie so there was context.  The performance was great too.

I had to Ffwd through it.  I consider Groundhog Day a near-perfect movie.  Making it into a music feels like sacrilege.

• Love 1