Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, bosawks said:

Every time I see something from the revival of My Fair Lady it makes me wish I didn’t hate the ending so damn much.

You’re ruining your life Eliza!

If it makes you feel any better, George Bernard Shaw hated the ending as much as you did.  He always insisted that Eliza and Higgins shouldn't and couldn't get married and that he wanted Eliza to be independent of Higgins.  I understand that the current ending is now closer to what Shaw intended.

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6
Just now, bosawks said:

Looks like ALW got some Botox touch up for this and he can’t even crack prime time...

He looks more and more like a Muppet each time I see him.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, irisheyes said:

I think I’m getting a good idea what’s going to win best musical. Hopefully A Band’s Visit will go on national tour soon. 

A national tour was already announced. It really is a special show.

• Love 4
Just now, legaleagle53 said:

If it makes you feel any better, George Bernard Shaw hated the ending as much as you did.  He always insisted that Eliza and Higgins shouldn't and couldn't get married, and that he wanted Eliza to be independent of Higgins.  I understand that the current ending is now closer to what Shaw intended.

It actually does make me feel better,my dislike of the show never felt that great.

• Love 1

Every time I see something from the revival of My Fair Lady it makes me wish I didn’t hate the ending so damn much.

You’re ruining your life Eliza!

Go see this current production.  I promise, you will be happier.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, irisheyes said:

I think I’m getting a good idea what’s going to win best musical. Hopefully A Band’s Visit will go on national tour soon. 

The national tour launches in Spring 2019 in Providence, actually. It's on my season ticket schedule for PPAC. I was really surprised it announced a tour so soon after the Broadway opening but I guess it's just that good!

• Love 3

I tend to be cynical when it comes to "In Memoriam" segments, but "For Forever" is like a dog whistle for my soul. By the end of this broadcast, I will be all cried out.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, sweeks said:

I tend to be cynical when it comes to "In Memoriam" segments, but "For Forever" is like a dog whistle for my soul. By the end of this broadcast, I will be all cried out.

yeah, lots of tears this year. but, this is how the in memorium segment should be done, with the main focus on those who've passed. the oscars drive me nuts. between showcasing whoever's performing and some "creative" camera work, some years it's impossible to see the names. here's hoping that the oscar producers might take note. 

• Love 1
(edited)

I desperately want Summer to hang on!

I have it penciled in as my summer TKTS musical...

5 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

Matt Bomer! Speaking of hotties...

Love the other three but Matt? 

72536068-3491-4BEC-9139-84BCC1FB79BC.gif

I thought the different colored tuxes were a nice touch. 

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 4

The Once On This Island performance was amazing! By far, it is my favorite one of the night (I'm not counting "Seasons of Love" by the MDS students, since that is in an untouchable category by itself). I hadn't thought a lot about Alex Newell as a performer, but now I understand why so many critics were confused by the fact that he wasn't nominated for a Tony for this.  

• Love 6

Omar Sharif is such a hauntingly beautiful song. I’m surprised they didn’t do Welcome to Nowhere because that encompasses the entire cast but Omar Sharif was the right choice.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, bosawks said:

Fun Home was based on a graphic novel and you can argue that Hamilton was based on the Ron Chernow biography.

I acknowledge your point but musical derivatives are part of the history from Edna Ferber’s Show Boat to Lynn Riggs’ Green Grow the Lilacs to Ingmar Bergman’s Smiles of a Summer Night.

I think the issue is ultimately with quality not origin, and that is a point I agree with heartily.

"110 in the Shade" was a musical based on the play/film "The Rainmaker" (Burt Lancaster, Katherine Hepburn).  Beautiful music, with some lines from the film made into lyrics.  

• Love 1