Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

Celia Keenan-Bolger's win was well-deserved. She was incredible as Scout Finch.

As for Ain't Too Proud, I didn't like it. For one, I didn't think they exuded the same kind of cool that The Temptations did.

Not good at all...the Temptations deserve a LOT better.

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I didn't bother with Best Featured Actor. I'm surprised Carvel got it with the competition from more popular plays.

I saw it.  He was good.  Reptilian.

6 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Tootsie looks boring. I get wanting to feature a lot of the cast but that number didn't sell me. 

Agreed.  I never liked the movie Tootsie, and I was really in the minority there.  So I wouldn't even bother with this musical.  The singiing sounded kind of off key, too.

• Love 1

Jez Butterworth's speech was super self-indulgent. Not into it, guy.

Broadway's Sally Bowles and Hedwig... Sienna Miller and Darren Criss. Well, that was disappointing.

I didn't know if it would go to Andre or Patrick. I wish Patrick had been rewarded for his performance but I haven't seen Andre (someone else played the part off-Broadway) and he's also had a long career and is deserving. Also, it was a nice speech. 

WHY didn't they air Bob Mackie's speech!?! Grr... it better be online later.

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, Growsonwalls said:

I loved both Patrick Page and Andre de Shields in Hadestown. Page had the showier role but de Shields deserved it for the warmth with which he narrated the story.

And the Road to Hell (reprise) was a master class of acting and singing.

Des’ facelift is looking a little tight.

Between Hadestown and the Great Comet Rachel is one of our new theatre shining lights.

She is fantastic.

• Love 4

I still remember watching Ali on The Glee Project. Did she basically sing that whole song? This is an incredibly long medley. This medley is misleading... The show looks great but aside from that guy spraying some on stage audience members, there's no sign this show is as weird as it is. 

• Love 1

Taylor Mac looks FABULOUS. I wish Gary was nearly as interesting. It was just a bunch of leftist debates post-2016 interspersed with a ton of bathroom humor. 

Danai looks like a GODDESS. I LOVE THAT OUTFIT.

• Love 2
Just now, Caseysgirl said:

Well, I’ve seen various productions of Oklahoma over the years, but this one looks a little different. Anyone see it and can shed some light?

It is entirely different. The text is (almost) all the same, but it is played in entirely new ways. I can't really explain specifics, it just has to be experienced.

Just now, Caseysgirl said:

Well, I’ve seen various productions of Oklahoma over the years, but this one looks a little different. Anyone see it and can shed some light?

It’s really sparse and the characterizations are in shades of charcoal, dark grey and grey.  If you have an attachment to the original you probably won’t like it but it is never dull.

I loved it.

So Beetlejuice made the smart choice of starting with the Banana Boat Song. Though it's a little cheap... like if Rocky had done Eye of the Tiger.

I don't love the song Alex was singing but it was arguably more appealing as a Tony's opening number that mentioned the audience members.

These medleys are so long... Are they giving them more time this year?

3 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

What has Kristin Chenoweth done to herself?  I’m trying to figure out if it’s too much tan, bad plastic surgery, or receding hairline. 

giphy.gif

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 minutes ago, irisheyes said:

What has Kristin Chenoweth done to herself?  I’m trying to figure out if it’s too much tan, bad plastic surgery, or receding hairline. 

Yes

Or what @Popples said!

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, bosawks said:

Kristin’s hairline is certainly something.

The heart of The Prom is Emma and Alyssa but Barry is crazy lovable. 

The Prom is fun all around.  I highly recommend.  Dancing is great, and it's funny. 

• Love 3

The Prom is a great show, very sweet and funny. However it has a very mediocre score and unfortunately that medley they performed proved it. It doesn't have one big memorable anthem like Waitress's "She Used to Be Mine" or Mean Girls' "Apex Predator" ... just to use two shows that weren't big Tony winners.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, lovett1979 said:

Also, the title song was a bad choice for Oklahoma. You can only appreciate that interpretation of it if you've seen the whole production. No sure what would have been better, though.

People Will Say We're In Love?

And yay at Boys in the Band winning! It was amazing.

I read an article about The Boys in the Band original cast member Cliff Gorman and his wife taking care of Robert La Tourneaux, another original cast member, as he was dying from AIDS.

It broke my heart, there’s probably a whole other play in there about that.  I wish I remembered were I read it, it was years ago.

• Love 3