Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I want a tony/broadway season where EVERY SINGLE best musical nominees is NOT from hit movies from the last 10 -20 years!!! I know the Band's visit was not a hit here, but still a movie. DON'T get me wrong many are enjoyable, but it seems a little lazy too, especially if the movie already has music and you are just redoing it verbatim on a stage (frozen, beauty & beast, Aladdin) Lion King worked because it was one of the first and scale and puppetry was amazing.  I also know for me personally I hate going to a theatre with children the are WAY to young to sit still and be quiet. (Seen parents pay all that money for a 2 year old.....too young)

Mel Brooks did great taking a 33 year old movie, retooling and rewriting  to make it new, Spamalot combined feomseveral of their sources and they are FREAKING MONTY PYTHON, John Waters took his dark subversive satire and retooled it into a light bright fun show. None of these just  kept it all the same and threw generic music in there and it worked.

I know for as long as there have been musicals there have been more adapted from novels and plays than original musical creations,  I guess I just want something new. 

IT'S great to see an original production, something new or when it comes from a book I am excited to see it come to life and see if it matches my imagination.  I have not seen all the musicals but most just sound like direct copies from the movie with song/dance stuck it. I could just watch the movie again in the privacy of my own home for a lot less

I am just looking for more Book of Mormon, Fun Home, Hamilton and Dear Evan Hanson and 

Less

Bring it on, Ghost, Catch me if you can, School of Rock, Groundhog Day, rocky, Sister Act, Christmas story, Heathers, Cry Baby, Young Frankenstein and of course no one needs Spiderman!

• Love 5

Seen parents pay all that money for a 2 year old.....too young

I don't care how much the damned parents paid for their kid, I care about how much I paid.  Have I mentioned the Mirvish production of Mamma Mia to which the couple across the aisle from me brought 2 toddlers, one still in diapers???? Yeah, that was fun for everyone in the theater - talking, crying, shrieking throughout Act 1. 

• Love 6

Fun Home was based on a graphic novel and you can argue that Hamilton was based on the Ron Chernow biography.

I acknowledge your point but musical derivatives are part of the history from Edna Ferber’s Show Boat to Lynn Riggs’ Green Grow the Lilacs to Ingmar Bergman’s Smiles of a Summer Night.

I think the issue is ultimately with quality not origin, and that is a point I agree with heartily.

• Love 8

Enjoy the show tonight everyone. Sorry I won't be around, but I'm seeing The Scottsboro Boys at Signature Theatre tonight and am really looking forward to it. 

• Love 3

Nick Scandalios  lost long brother must be Mark Cuban.

Mean Girls.  I want to go to there. 

Remember last year it was hosted by that guy?  What happened to him?  (I slightly kid.)  

• Love 2
(edited)

Every time I see something from the revival of My Fair Lady it makes me wish I didn’t hate the ending so damn much.

You’re ruining your life Eliza!

Edited by bosawks
Contractions plus spellcheck are the devil....
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, bosawks said:

Every time I see something from the revival of My Fair Lady it makes me wish I didn’t hate the ending so damn much.

You ruining your life Eliza!

I stage managed a community theatre production of the show once upon a time, and I thought this during every performance.

That said, I think that Amy Schumer gave the most accurate description of the show ever.

• Love 7

You ruining your life Eliza!

Saw it last week.  The ending is different.

Unpopular opinion: I am tired of movie stars/tv stars winning Tonys.  I don't think it's fair, somehow.  (Don't ask me to explain why, I don't exactly know).

• Love 3

Whenever I watch the Tonys, I have to think it is organized chaos backstage. I’m guessing after the shows on Saturday, they have to load up and take sets and costumes to Radio City and then back again for the Tuesday night shows.

• Love 3
(edited)

Geez, Billy Joel looks like a squatter, dumpier Ho Chi Minh, when did that happen?

ETA: Bruce and Patti made some attractive kids.

Edited by bosawks
Eh, vowels....
  • Love 6

That opening with Sara Bareilles and Josh Groban was perfection. Loved the two of them playing the piano and then the ode to the losers. So good.

Lindsay Mendez's speech made me tear up a little bit. Makes me hope that Jessie will win but that award is probably Katrina's to lose.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I’m never going to see Spongebob, but Squidward’s legs are awesome!

I was thinking the same thing. I bet that took lots of practice to get just right.

• Love 3

While I've been meh on Spongebob, it is starting to win me over. I must say that I enjoyed its performance more than the other Best Musical/Revival of a Musical ones so far.

• Love 1

I’m guessing after the shows on Saturday, they have to load up and take sets and costumes to Radio City 

Nope, they had matinees today.

Geez, Billy Joel looks like a squatter, dumper Ho Chi Minh, when did that happen?

When Billy Joel straps on his harmonica holder in concert, he looks just like Darth Vader when Luke removes his mask in Return of the Jedi.   Now that you have that image in your head, you'll never look at him the same way.

• Love 2
7 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I know nothing about Carousel. Who’s the hottie dancer who isn’t Joshua Henry?

That’s Amar Ramasar. He’s Jigger Craigin. He’s a dancer with the American Ballet.

• Love 2
(edited)

While I love Nathan Lane, I was rooting for David Morse. HE is such a strong dependable supporting performer in everything he does it would be nice if he got some recognition. I've been watching him for over 40 years from St. Elsewhere, to John Adams, the Green Mile and now with Denzel. ..looking at his IMDB awards section, the man is long overdue.

WhAT?

While I was writing this they side costumes went to My Fair Lady...Sponge Bob seems more original and inventive

And I was disappointed for Tina Fey. Has a woman ever won best book?

Edited by Poohbear617
  • Love 3

I have a love-hate relationship with "Seasons of Love" (it is a great song but it can be cliched). However, it was probably the most perfect choice for the Parkland performance.

• Love 7

My idea of heaven is watching Jessie Mueller adorably reacting to Sara Bareilles' vocals.

Also, Carousel has Jessie Mueller, Lindsay Mendez, and Renee Fleming on their show and yet they don't have them performing tonight? I get that it was an ode to ballet but to not include the women? What is this nonsense?

Sara and Josh continue to be perfect as hosts. I hope they are back next year.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

And her students. Dammit Tonys! You know how to get me. 

I feel like the Tonys always have me crying at some point.  No other awards show does that. 

• Love 4

Glenda Jackson's speech about how welcoming the people in this country made me unexpectedly tear up. I'm hoping that Frozen will be a palate-cleanser to help me get through the rest of the evening without crying.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, mtlchick said:

How many EGOTs does Robert Lopez needs?  He already has TWO! 

And I think he's on his way to getting a 3rd EGOT. I believe he needs another Emmy and another Oscar, since he has three Grammys and three Tonys.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, sweeks said:

They didn't present the Lifetime Achievement awards to Chita Rivera and Andrew Lloyd Webber during the telecast!?! Who made that call?

CBS accountants and sales reps probably, jerks...

Just now, scarynikki12 said:

I feel like they never broadcast the life achievement outside of highlights but I could be making that up. 

They don't, which is a shame. I had heard on the "Today on Broadway" broadcast that they were going to show it on the broadcast, but I guess not.

• Love 1