Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 minute ago, Browncoat said:

What did De Niro say that got bleeped?

"Duck" Trump.   Which is what the G7 are feeling right about now. 

Not sure how much got censored on CBS, but CTV in Canada is airing it and all it bleeped out was that one work.

Edited by mtlchick
  • Love 7

Can hardly wait for this to air three hours later on the West Coast!  Thanks for the highlights!  I love watching the Tonys -- mainly for the scenes presented from nominated shows.   A great reminder that live theatre is so - alive!  

• Love 3

Ah yes, Once On This Island. A musical about a hurricane in the West Indies with an all-black cast and I barely see any people of color accepting the musical, written by two white people. Yay cultural appropriation! 

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, MostlyC said:

Maybe I'm too young, but the Bruce Springsteen obsession escapes me. I mean, he's good but...it's the dog whistle this puppy doesn't hear, I guess?

/ducks tomatoes

(looks around, whispers) YES.  I appreciate what he does for music and his state but he doesn't excite me.  This performance didn't help.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, bosawks said:

Is everyone affiliated with The Band’s Visit a wonderful, empathetic person?

Based on the evidence tonight, I think the answer is "yes." Tony Shaloub maintains the streak for lovely, meaningful, and heartfelt speeches by people from The Band's Visit

• Love 6

I grew up in New Jersey with Bruce blasting from records, cassettes, ads, downloads. Saw him live a few times. Love that song.. but good Lord the man babbles a lot.

It's been a good show, Frozen notwithstanding. Josh and Sara are pretty funny.

(edited)
7 hours ago, rwlevin said:

I love Katrina Lenk. Her acting is so powerful, so soulful. I felt the same way watching her in Indecent.

And I am now over the Indecent Tony slight!

Edited by bosawks
2 minutes ago, mtlchick said:

So after tonight, which shows are sadly likely to close soon due to the lack of wins?  

I think SpongeBob might be in trouble; its box office has been all over the place, but the summer might be good for it with families traveling to the city. Once On This Island, which wasn't doing great at the box office, might have gotten the boost it needed to stay open longer. 

• Love 1

I love Jessie Mueller and would have loved to have seen her win but I ain't even mad that Katrina won. Just judging by her performance tonight, she was fantastic.

Should I go ahead and buy tickets to The Band's Visit? I've seen all the other shows in that one block in 47th St between 7th and 8th Avenues except for The Band's Visit. Might as well add it to the list (Waitress, Anastasia, and Saint Joan).

• Love 2
(edited)

I wonder how much longer Tony and Katrina are going to be in the cast -- I'd like to see it, too!  I guess I need to take a week in NY and see several of these.

Edited by Browncoat
  • Love 1
(edited)

I loved The Band’s Visit!

It reminded me of Fun Home, which I also loved.  

A small perfect little bandbox of musical, filled with such small perfect moments that when it ends you have tears down your face and a smile. 

Edited by bosawks
  • Love 3

See you next year everybody and like I say every year, Judy Kuhn was robbed, who cares if she wasn’t in a show!

And is it to soon to sign a petition for Sarah and Josh to host next year?

• Love 4

I didn't record tonight because my DVR was packed and I didn't know much about the nominations. Reading this thread, I regret it...if only to see Tony win a Tony.

That's my lesson:  Always record the Tonys.

• Love 3

I watched with my parents so I'm just chiming in now. I thought Sara and Josh were totally charming as hosts. They didn't hit the highs of NPH but they were very much themselves and genuinely friends I think they managed an ease that Kristin/Alan and Anne Hathaway/James Franco did not have. I liked all their little songs. Of course it's great to hear them sing. I was LIVING for Sara's costume changes. I pretty much predicted all the winners (it was easy with The Band's Visit doing almost a total sweep). 

My surprises were that they let Laurie Metcalf win a second year in a row and that Ar'iel won for what is not a big role in my mind. I was surprised he was even nominated. I was pleasantly surprised Katrina won since there have been rumblings about Lauren or Hailey though, at that point in the night it was expected with TBV sweep. I wasn't surprised at My Fair Lady getting costumes though I wish it had gone to a more creative show. The costumes are gorgeous but I don't know, I don't think it encourages creativity when shows like OOTI, Spongebob, Great Comet keep getting overlooked for shows that have gorgeous historically accurate period costumes. This isn't the Oscars. We can recognize more than the period movies. I predicted her to win but I was so happy for Lindsay Mendez. 

I thought there were bits that went on too long but it wasn't Sara's or Josh's fault. Like, who let John Leguizamo talk for that long? And Jesus Christ that Bruce Springsteen bit was boring. The performances were all good though the My Fair Lady medley was a little messy, Mean Girls looked terrible (that song sounded so bad... what was the melody?) and on the whole I thought the filming could have been better. It didn't quite have the magic of seeing the shows in the theater. Sometimes the camera just needs to be still. 

All in all, a good night for a fairly boring season. Having Sara and Josh there was very calming and comforting. 

33 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I wonder how much longer Tony and Katrina are going to be in the cast -- I'd like to see it, too!  I guess I need to take a week in NY and see several of these.

Tony has already left the show at the end of May, but I would have considered Katrina more important to the show than him.

I’ll be the contrarian who found The Band’s Visit a bit dull and boring, except for the band’s performance at the end, but I understand why critics liked it and can see after tonight’s show that its competition this year was not great.

1 minute ago, Rickster said:

Tony has already left the show at the end of May, but I would have considered Katrina more important to the show than him.

I’ll be the contrarian who found The Band’s Visit a bit dull and boring, except for the band’s performance at the end, but I understand why critics liked it and can see after tonight’s show that its competition this year was not great.

I saw it in the beginning of April and Tony had already left.

4 minutes ago, scarynikki12 said:

I wonder if that's the only song that has most of the cast?  Or maybe it's the easiest to get on and off stage? 

I think they did the scene in their own theatre?  I might have misunderstood the opening establishing shot.  I left before they did one minute -- am recording.  But I loved the opening of the awards show!