Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Wow, the King Kong producers love throwing money around. Getting three performers from Moulin Rouge! (which they are also producing) just to show off the puppet. Not even a song.

• Love 1
Just now, aradia22 said:

Wow, the King Kong producers love throwing money around. Getting three performers from Moulin Rouge! (which they are also producing) just to show off the puppet. Not even a song.

To be fair the puppet doesn’t sing......

• LOL 2
3 hours ago, Growsonwalls said:

My favorite to win best musical is Hadestown. Also loved TKAM but that didn't get nominated for Best Play because of, well, reasons.

What are the reasons because I am still flummoxed?

Jeff Daniels was robbed.

• Love 2

One of my great wishes is for Fathom Events (or any company really) to show Broadway plays and musicals in movie theaters like they do with opera. The Ferryman, Hadestown, etc, are only reinforcing this wish. 

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I am a huge sucker for shows about making shows so the idea of Tootsie as a backstage musical is compelling to me. (As was the movie backstage at a soap.) And I thought Unstoppable was performed better in this broadcast than it was on GMA. 

I saw Tootsie last month and really enjoyed it.   Some really funny moments.  The supporting cast is just fabulous.   Unfortunately, the best song of the play could not be performed on TV because it uses the F bomb like 187 times.  

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Popples said:

I thought they would save Carol Channing for the last image. I can't believe I am just finding out Gary Beach died.

I can't believe I thought he died a while ago.  Time has no meaning when you're as old as I am...I guess. 

2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

I can't believe I thought he died a while ago.  Time has no meaning when you're as old as I am...I guess. 

He died last July, but I don't remember hearing anything about it.

1 minute ago, Popples said:

He died last July, but I don't remember hearing anything about it.

He came through our theatre at least twice and was a lovely man.  

• Love 2

I still see Stephanie J Block as LiZA! From The Boy From Oz so even though that Cher performance was meh, I remember how lovely she was when I met her years ago so I’m ok with this. 

• Love 2

I can't wait to tell my mom we saw a Tony winning performance. (We saw it in Chicago so we rarely get to see plays or musicals before they win awards.)

Santino was great.  The whole cast was.

• Love 1

One thing I really appreciate is that even though they don't let everyone give their speeches on the telecast, they do pretty much let everyone give their whole speech without playing them off (the only exception I can think of tonight was The Ferryman).

• Love 2
(edited)

Help us out on the West Coast, where the show is starting to air -- is there a scene from the new production of "Oklahoma!"?

I thought Corden did a great job with movement (and a half-split!) in the opening!  And I am not generally his fan.  

ETA:  I see from the comments still posting that it will not be over by 11:00!  

Edited by freddi
  • Love 1