Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I will say Ariana was finally in an outfit that fit and was flattering at an awards show so that was fun 

Patrick Wilson was great in Brigadoon. I'd be happy to see him back on Broadway but he's making so much money in Hollywood

• Love 3
58 minutes ago, Lady Whistleup said:

This Music Man performance reminds me of my 90-year old friend who went to see Hugh in TMM and was so upset he left at intermission.

That was the post-bows closing number. I absolutely love The Music Man and as such, I did enjoy the show but, honestly, I thought the 2000 revival was better. At least that production didn’t change all the words to Shipoopi.

Oh, look, Take Me Out won. I saw the original production when I was in college. I really haven’t seen enough shows this year. I guess that’s what happens when you have kids.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Tony fashion is usually unremarkable but I love Ruthie Ann Miles' gown. It's very regal.

Ooh, Kelli O'Hara is wearing green eyeshadow. Fun. 

It was weird they kept mentioning L Morgan Lee and then Patti LuPone just won for a third time.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

It was weird they kept mentioning L Morgan Lee and then Patti LuPone just won for a third time.

It is remarkable that L Morgan Lee is the first openly trans person nominated. Patti gave a superior performance (in the opinion of the voters). Both of these things can be true.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, aradia22 said:

I think The Music Man has some pretty songs and I don't hate it but it definitely doesn't rank among my favorite classic musicals.

I absolutely love it... and sadly, no one measures up to Robert Preston (for me, anyway 😉)

• Like 3
  • Love 8

Ariana has a lot of charisma but these bits are terrible and they're making her come across as try-hard to make it work. It's giving me Anne Hathaway hosting the Oscars with James Franco. The Tonys usually has great original songs.

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Ooh, I love Patina Millers white gown.

Yeah, Company was underwhelming and overwhelming. It highlighted the whole cast but only in little moments. I wish they'd chosen a song with fewer people. Also, it was filmed very strangely.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
3 minutes ago, Spartan Girl said:

I love that Patti used her speech to not only thank COVID safety people, but to once again make it clear who pays her salary for any future Karens in her audience.

Ok YMMV but I feel like at this point Patti is just dragging it. It;s like she always has to be salty about something.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Spartan Girl said:

Look, even if the new Music Man is no good I’d still see it if I had the chance. Sue me.

If someone gave me tickets, I definitely wouldn't refuse them.  But I'm not going out to buy any.

• Love 4

I hated Girl From the North Country. If you come to the Theater Talk thread, I'll tell you about it eventually. It's a show with decent musical numbers and a godawful book. Though I do recognize my opinion has gotten harsher over time after hearing all the praise for it.

(edited)

I chose Take Me Out as one of the show i saw during my NYC trip in March for very shallow reasons, so I'm glad it's at least won Best Revival of a Play so i can now tell people how I had the foresight to choose this now award winning production.

Company though....i have been so tempted to go to NYC again to see this sensational production. I can't believe Katrina Lenk was not nominated this year.

Edited by argrow
  • Like 1
  • Love 2

Love that silhouette on Julianne Hough. It's not a design most people can pull off but it looked fantastic on her.

WOOO!!! Thank Jesus. Michael R. Jackson won an award. (He was very nice when I spoke to him after seeing A Strange Loop off-Broadway.)

• Love 1
1 minute ago, argrow said:

Company though....i have been so tempted to go to NYC again to see this sensational production. I can't believe Katrina Lenk was not nominated this year.

She is not good. That's why she didn't get nominated.

I feel about Spring Awakening the way I feel about Dear Evan Hansen.  Those were not shows written for me and I didn't like either one of them.  But I suppose I can see how they would affect others. 

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, lovett1979 said:

She is not good. That's why she didn't get nominated.

I thought she was fantastic. Her Being Alive made me feel stuff i have never felt before from previous renditions.

6 minutes ago, argrow said:

I chose Take Me Out as one of the show i saw during my NYC trip in March for very shallow reasons, so I'm glad it's at least won Best Revival of a Play so i can now tell people how I had the foresight to choose this now award winning production.

Company was amazing. I never thought I would laugh this much.

The Tonys have just poured so much disrespect on Caroline, or Change. I hope it's just because they didn't have a chance to see it because it was in the fall. Because if you saw that production and acted this way... smh

• Like 1

I know a Tony performance is not necessarily representative of the performance in the theater, but right now I am happy I saw Larry Owens and I don't feel a strong impulse to see the show again with Jacquel. 

2 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

I know a Tony performance is not necessarily representative of the performance in the theater, but right now I am happy I saw Larry Owens and I don't feel a strong impulse to see the show again with Jacquel. 

How is ASL? I've been meaning to see it.

@Lady Whistleup I remember being very moved by it (especially by the end after the set change). But I can't give you many specifics and I didn't take notes at the time. It just washed over me. Delighting and devastating in turns. Funny, witty, warm, relatable, challenging, and cutting.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

You know who should host the Tonys? Nathan Lane

He has. Three times. Once with Gregory Hines and Glenn Close, once with Matthew Broderick and once by himself.

• Love 5

Cynthia looks fabulous... but also like a character from Star Wars or Dune. It's a lot of outfit for the Tonys. 

Sharon is there... LET HER WIN, DAMN IT

Sigh... Joaquina is very talented but I am disappointed. The show was pretty bad outside of her 11 o'clock number. (Again, I'll review it at some point.)

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Did Six really deserve costumes and score? Oof, this season...

Have most of the winners actually deserved the wins?  Not tonight.

• Love 1

Did anyone notice they played Joaquina off after her very serious and passionate speech with Put on a Happy Face?  I know it was probably scheduled, but can anyone make a better decision on the fly??

• Mind Blown 1

THANK GOD, I ALMOST HAD A HEART ATTACK

CORRECT. THIS WAS THE ONLY CORRECT CHOICE FOR BEST MUSICAL THIS YEAR.

I guess they really wanted to spread the awards love around. (Which was a little unpredictable after the sweeps of Hamilton, Dear Evan Hansen, etc.)

• Love 2