Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, DearEvette said:

I am seriously pleased with all the winners.  Very rare for me and awards shows.

Agree.  Although I wouldn't have been sad if Savion Glover had won for choreography.

Nice coat, James.

And heads up - more Hamilton tickets on sale in 4 minites

• Love 2
Just now, ebk57 said:

Agree.  Although I wouldn't have been sad if Savion Glover had won for choreography.

Yeah.  Agreed. But Hamilton was a juggernaut.  I think only Cynthia Erivoo could've realistically won against them in her category.

I also wouldn't have minded Lupita winning, but can't get too mad at the Jessica Lange win.

• Love 1

I only set the DVR for 30 minutes over, it's time to wrap this up. I'll have to make some tough decisions on what to delete to keep this.

I'm not a massive Barbara fan (love Hello, Dolly! though), but I have to say "Like butta."

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, maraleia said:

Every one of the musical acting awards went to Black performers...suck it Oscars. Diversity. Inclusion.

Or overcompensation?

I really liked James's green glitter coat.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, nilyank said:

12 wins for Hamilton.

Babs didn't even bother trying to play suspense about who won. Of course Hamilton won.

She didn't even open the envelope.

1 minute ago, Popples said:

I just read someone saying she opened it during the video of the nominees.  Or she's psychic...

Just now, Popples said:

This musical is a game changer.  No competition.  I love that she dressed the certainty of the extraordinary achievement of this new classic.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Popples said:

Then how did she know?

The closing number made me remember when Neil Patrick Harris hosted and did the original song based on the evening's winners, which I thought was amazing then.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, SmithW6079 said:

Then how did she know?

The closing number made me remember when Neil Patrick Harris hosted and did the original song based on the evening's winners, which I thought was amazing then.

Lin-Manuel wrote those closing numbers - or at least one of them.  I don't remember how many there were right at the moment.

• Love 3

I didn't think Leslie would win.  BUT HE DID!!!  YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Battle of Yorktown was a smart choice for the show.  It showcased a number of the characters, brought everyone together, and is a good snapshot demonstration of how awesome the show is. 

Don't know if this link will work (I'm not on FB, but found this on another board).  Seems they did some Commercial Karaoke.  Hope some more of these surface.

• Love 2

Like Steve Martin said, it's because he's famous.  Seriously, though, it does look like an interesting show.

Well, it is interesting. Right, @ebk57? ;)

Spoiler

God, that stupid flying baby bag... I can't get over it.

• Love 1

That was a fantastic show. The inclusiveness of the plays showcased and rewarded was just beautiful, and, when there's so much ugliness in the world, it makes my heart happy to see a person like Lin Manuel Miranda recognized for his genius. 

• Love 11

This show was a production!  It's so great when the talent is visible in the award show itself, in addition to the excerpts.  I loved having the casts go outside to sing their favorite musical numbers -- and the opening was fantastic.

Yes, I have recently been tired of NPH, but the first time he hosted the Tony Awards, he was a phenomenal performer with great material.  The other ones blur, but he has shown he knows how to take command of a stage. 

As so many others have said: suck it, Oscars.  

• Love 4

I live in the Orlando area and wasn't sure if the local CBS affiliate was going to air the Tony's or keep with the local news all night.  I hope this doesn't sound cold or callous but I was glad they aired the show as it was a nice respite from an otherwise shitty day.

My thoughts:

James Corden did absolutely nothing for me as host.  I know he's a former Tony winner but I've not seen his late night show so perhaps I don't "get" his sense of humor as I found his opening to be, well, boring and it seemed he couldn't keep up with the fast pace.

There's definitely a long line ahead of me but I am firmly on the Daveed Diggs love train.  Bonus points for his being an Ivy League graduate!  Lin-Manuel Miranda's acceptance speech sonnet to Orlando had me in tears.

Even though I expected Cynthia Erivo to win lead actress in a musical a part of me felt bad for Phillipa Soo, like she let "Hamilton" down in her category.  I liked Cynthia's performance, though not her dress.

Next time I hope they let Bebe Neuwirth sing the entire song!

Yikes, Barbra Streisand needs to lay off the facial work.  I almost didn't recognize her.

I thought the show was great this year. There were little issues here and there, but overall the show was exciting, energetic and didn't really lag at any point.

I thought the opening was strong - both Corden's statement and then the musical number and thought they did a good job pacing the musical numbers throughout the night. Plus, this was just a really strong year for theatre so the performances ranged from really great to truly exceptional. I adored the #Tony4Hams before and after the commercials; they were the perfect length and it was nice to see some of my favourite performers groove to some of my favourite songs.

The winners went pretty much exactly how I hoped. A small part of me was hoping for a long-shot tie between Daveed and Chris but I knew that wasn't actually going to happen so I'm really pleased Daveed took it. I just love Chris too and that would have put Hamilton at the record) Lin's speech was a true highlight. That man is just one of the most gifted writers of our time.

I think the thing that surprised me most was how much I enjoyed School of Rock. I'm always wary of shows that rely on kids, but that was an impressive performance.

• Love 3

Does anyone know if Lin-Manuel Miranda had a hand in writing the original parts of James Corden's opening number?  The part at the end, with the kids growing up to be the nominated musical actors, really reminded me of the "We might reassure that kid / And do something to spur that kid. / 'Cause I promise you, all of us up here tonight, / We were that kid" lines from the incredible opening number he and Tom Kitt wrote for NPH in 2013, and the riffs on the various musicals seemed pretty LMM to me.

14 hours ago, Popples said:

He's here, they showed him during the opening number, he shaved his head so maybe you didn't recognize him.

If it were the Oscars I'd assume he had to attend incognito to get past security, but I think he's still on good terms with the Broadway crowd.

13 hours ago, mightysparrow said:

James Earl Jones is showing his age a little but Angela hasn't aged a bit.

One of my big reasons for tuning in every year is to be reassured by how luminous and healthy Angela Lansbury looks.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, ebk57 said:

Don't know if this link will work (I'm not on FB, but found this on another board).  Seems they did some Commercial Karaoke.  Hope some more of these surface.

Jake Gyllenhaal has some pipes! If you're not on Facebook you can see the video here

• Love 4

I was so happy to see Cynthia Uriva win.  She owns the stage.  Dayum!  When Prince died, the cast of The Color Purple sang Purple Rain as a tribute to hm.  Cynthia started it off.  I still can't watch it without crying.  I wish they hadn't passed the lead  to JHud because Cynthia owned it.  She is extremely talented.

What stood out this year was what a great year it is for Broadway.  There are many great shows with excellent performers. 

I can't watch James Corden's late night show; he is too "on" for me. I thought he did a good job here.  He clearly loves Broadway and respects the performers.    The opening number started strong but it got away from him.  Still, he did a good job moving the show forward and keeping the tone positive on a tough day.

• Love 3
On 6/13/2016 at 8:20 AM, MyAimIsTrue said:

Even though I expected Cynthia Erivo to win lead actress in a musical a part of me felt bad for Phillipa Soo, like she let "Hamilton" down in her category.  I liked Cynthia's performance, though not her dress.

Oh, I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who didn't care for the dress. I've seen so many comments about how fabulous it was; I was really starting to question my own judgement. 

23 hours ago, attica said:

I gotta give the great Audra McDonald some props for doing that perfectly executed high kick whilst hosting a uterine occupant! 

Mega word. Between her kicks and Jane K's splits (which I couldn't have done in my heyday, much less in my late 40s), I was dumbfounded.

If James Earl Jones, Angela Landsbury, Chita Rivera, and Cecily Tyson are any indication, Broadway makes you ageless. Stay on stage, people!!

• Love 6
2 hours ago, St. Claire said:

Oh, I am so glad to hear that I'm not the only one who didn't care for the dress. I've seen so many comments about how fabulous it was; I was really starting to question my own judgement.

Yeah, i think that is the happiness glow making people blind.  I think she is an absolutely brilliant singer and her Tony was well deserved but that dress was a hot mess.  It felt like it should have been a curtain in a very fussy overstuffed Victorian parlor.  Just a bit too much.

I meant to mention the super funny Titus Andromedon Hamilton audition commercial.  OMG.  I loved his little "shady" and the salty expression on his face coupled with the head scratch that moved his whole wig when he mentioned he got no audition materials.  Too funny! Tituss Burgess is a treasure!

• Love 3

Just got back from Hamilton, and wowza. Renee Elise Goldsberry & Daveed Diggs earned the #*!&@ out of those awards. They sounded virtually indistinguishable from the cast album, and I mean that as the highest possible compliment. Leslie Odom Jr. was also great, and I'd put Anthony Ramos & Chris Jackson up in that same second tier. Lin-Manuel Miranda was solid - his gift is the whole package he brings and not necessarily the singing voice, you know?

I was hoping the cast might do a brief tribute to Orlando at the close, but no such luck. 

After the show I walked around and saw a lot of the other theaters - The Color Purple, The Humans, Eclipsed. I wish I were here for more time and could check out a few more shows. The Tony's did a good job of pulling me in.

• Love 7

By the way, reiterating the invitation to come join us on the Theatre Talk thread here if you weren't aware that ptv had a board to talk about musicals and plays the whole year! :)

Does anyone know of any other commercial break songs? I found Andrew Rannells and Zachary Levi singing Mamma Mia.

(edited)
On 6/12/2016 at 8:51 PM, ebk57 said:

I'm so disappointed that this show is closing before we're there.  I love She Loves Me.  It's an almost perfect musical.

I know - quoting yourself could cause you to go blind, but...  there will be a live stream of She Loves Me on June 30th!!!   Yay!!!!!!!!

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/06/16/theater/she-loves-me-to-be-streamed-live-a-broadway-first.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=1&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

Edited by ebk57
  • Love 4