Type keyword(s) to search

The Annual Tony Awards - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Fun Home is the best thing I've seen in years.

There's a moment between Judy Kuhn and Emily Skeggs that was crushing.

My heart stops to think about it, I can't recommend it more.

Really hoping to see it on my next trip.  Especially after this number.

• Love 1

Fun Home's performance was the first that really wowed me tonight. I'm familiar with the graphic novel, but the whole scene stood on its own. I'll definitely try and see it and listen to the cast recording ASAP. I have a lot of affection for Gigi but wasn't super-impressed with "The Night They Invented Champagne."

• Love 1

I'm going to disagree and say I don't think that number would have sold someone on Fun Home who didn't already want to see it. That said, I do want to see it. 

Hey, Dule Hill. I enjoyed After Midnight though I wish I'd seen Violet instead.

• Love 1

I am such a sucker for Gershwin.

Yes!  It's all about the music.  Fortunately, I can pop on a record anytime.  Just not sure I want to see the show...

• Love 1
(edited)

I mean, An American in Paris is not hurting in terms of ticket sales but I think the medley was a mistake. The dance didn't comfort my concerns about a dance heavy show that doesn't communicate much story/emotion and then the other two numbers were just chaotic. 

Continuing to enjoy these small moments with Alan and Kristin moving the show forward with little bits and not trying to pull attention. I'm already watching a show. I don't need a host to put on a competing show. 

Edited by aradia22
  • Love 1

Also, is it just me or did anyone else keep expecting them to go into Lady Be Good during S'Wonderful?

Nice Finding Neverland spot. I almost wish Harvey had paid for a long commercial, like the length of a Tony awards performance.

A montage? No, Tony's. You're better than this.

There are times when I'm fine with Sutton's dress and times when I hate the skirt. I think it depends how it's being photographed/filmed.

OH MY GOD, the Fun Home ladies DID split the vote. So happy for Ruthie Ann Miles.

There are times when I'm fine with Sutton's dress and times when I hate the skirt. I think it depends how it's being photographed/filmed.

I don't like it.

@Crs97 - it's halftime! You can tune in for 20 or so minutes!!

Oh I wish! But I can tell Mr. Crs feels a little guilty so I should be able to leverage it somewhat. Y'all are great!

• Love 1

Oh, lord. I just noticed the mirror. Don't tell me, it takes photos?

I think On the Twentieth Century did a fantastic job with their medley. You got all the best parts of the show and avoided showing how repetitive the lyrics are. Also, the dancing from the porters is much tighter than when I saw the show.

Oh I wish! But I can tell Mr. Crs feels a little guilty so I should be able to leverage it somewhat. Y'all are great!

I'm telling ya - sports bar for them!

Glad you're recording it.

When did Kristin Chenoweth start looking like the aliens from "Independence Day"? Alan better be careful or he'll cut himself on those cheekbones.

Loved "Shall We Dance" -- for Anna's dress alone.

I have a lot of affection for Gigi but wasn't super-impressed with "The Night They Invented Champagne."

I was just thinking that I love the movie and that number in the movie but that staging didn't live up to the movie which is a shame. Otherwise, this is something I would want to see. (When it travels because I don't travel.)

I'm going to disagree and say I don't think that number would have sold someone on Fun Home who didn't already want to see it. That said, I do want to see it.

FWIW, I had never heard of "Fun Home" until tonight and I was blown away by that performance.  As to whether I'd go see it, I don't live in NY so circumstances who knows....

• Love 1

I'm telling ya - sports bar for them!

Four of the five are underage, already in pj's. One is already asleep in Dad's lap. Otherwise, I like your plan!

• Love 2

I've started thinking I'd like to see Wolf Hall.

I'm conflicted about the Brits coming over here with their plays... winning all our awards. But no Matilda? I don't understand the Tony's sometimes.

I don't think The Visit worked. It wouldn't have been that exciting but they should have left it at Love and Love Alone. I don't know enough about the show to know what else they could have done without spoiling the story but yeah... just not effective.

An American in Paris for Scenic Design. I can't tell which way it's going. I'm going to need some acting awards.

Oh, I think Jennifer Lopez might have been wearing the blue dress I spotted earlier. It's gorgeous though the bodice doesn't seem properly fitted. 

Also, kudos to Harvey for getting Finding Neverland on the broadcast again.

(edited)

And...I wanna see Finding Neverland now. The projections and sets look awesome.

I found it an enjoyable way to spend an evening.

Watching Kelsey give it his all is always fun.

Edited by bosawks

Not wowed by Finding Neverland. It sounded better than the early press stuff I heard but I'm not sure how this was supposed to sell the show. It seems like they went more adult/serious than family when I think the family thing is what pulls in such big audiences. I think Matt has lost it a bit after his years on Glee but I think it's still there... somewhere. You could hear it from time to time.

(edited)

Keep trying  It's totally worth it.

Seriously, my absolute favorite. I could talk nonstop about how adorable and talented the entire On the Town cast is (and how it deserves all the awards over An American in Paris...).

Edited by mehtotheworld
  • Love 1
Also, kudos to Harvey for getting Finding Neverland on the broadcast again.

I find this so annoying.  I was bored through Jennifer Hudson's performance last year and I was bored this year again.  I wouldn't begrudge it a second performance if it were nominated for some major awards but it's not.

• Love 1
(edited)

I'm not going to lie, I preferred the previous King and I revival.

After listening to this speech I now have a better understanding why the revival seemed so.....slow.

ETA:  After thinking about this for a day slow isn't quite right, I think what I was going for is ponderous.

Edited by bosawks

That was not a great song. I still don't want to see It Shoulda Been You. But I get what people mean about Lisa Howard. That was a great performance of a mediocre song. I could almost feel her dragging it along. The melody didn't move in a way with momentum and direction.

RIDICULOUS that they gave John Cameron Mitchell a special award and just showed a few seconds of his speech.

(edited)

I'm impressed by the dance number in An American in Paris and I like the imagery of the sea in Finding Neverland.  The dance number in Gigi felt very frantic and it j-kind of put me off.  I'm also not liking Fun Home--it looks like a musical that's trying too hard to give us a message.

Lastly, what the hell was Rita Wilson wearing?

Edited by kitmerlot1213
  • Love 1

I love the fact that Angela Bauer is a two time Tony winner.

That was not a great song. I still don't want to see It Shoulda Been You. But I get what people mean about Lisa Howard. That was a great performance of a mediocre song. I could almost feel her dragging it along. The melody didn't move in a way with momentum and direction.

RIDICULOUS that they gave John Cameron Mitchell a special award and just showed a few seconds of his speech.

He'll always be Dickon to me....

• Love 1

I love the fact that Angela Bauer is a two time Tony winner.

And Tony Danza is not. I guess we figured out Who's the Boss.

What fabric is draped over Philicia Rashad?

Ah, so Groban is doing the In Memoriam as predicted. Oh, those low notes are a bit rough...

• Love 3
(edited)

I guess the Academy loves "Curious Dog..." How many Tonys has it won do far?

What's wrong with Josh Groban's voice?

Is brown the "it" color this year?

Edited by SmithW6079