Type keyword(s) to search

Bruce Jenner: The Interview (ABC)

I remember when Bruce Jenner was a hot guy winning an Olympic medal and I kind of mourn for that person a little.  Or maybe it's the mooning teenager  that I was at the time for which I mourn.  Either way, if he really is transgender, and transitioning will make him happy, more power to him.  Or her, I guess, if it's true.

But yeah, not gonna watch it.  I gave up on Bruce when he entangled himself with the Kartrashians.

• Love 3

I didn't expect that I'd feel this much compassion and empathy for her.

When the gossip first started about Bruce Jenner, I felt so bad that if this was what he was going through, he had to go through it so publicly, even moreso, I think, than Kristen Beck.
  • Love 2

Very gracious and supportive comments from his first & second wives....No comment from Kris Jenner, of course.  Though knowing her, she'll take out an ad in the L.A. Times gushing about his bravery.  Anything for publicity.  

• Love 8

I remember a youtube video from around 7 years ago where Bruce was talking about being a republican, talking politics, and what he had to say about Obama.

I wish Bruce nothing but the best.

• Love 2

I love Diane Sawyer.  She was the perfect choice to do this interview.  I wonder if Bruce requested her or it was given to her?  Either way, I don't think anybody else could pull it off as gracefully and thoughtfully.

• Love 6

I like Diane Sawyer but some of her confused questions and incredulous demeanor got on my nerves.  I realize she is trying to play the role of the audience but come on, Diane is a sophisticated woman and I doubt this is the first time she has heard that transgender does not mean gay, it just seemed like play acting.  

I find Bruce fascinating despite his Kardasian connection.  The Olympic history, the botched plastic surgery when he didn't need it in the first place (which looks great now, hard to believe he is 65), being friends with O.J!  I have no doubt he is also an asshole, calling his competitor fat/"I believe in the constitution!" and there's no way that the reality show producers won't turn his show into a crass sitcomy mess.  But, in the end, if this helps prevent transgender youths from suicide or violence, he will be a hero.

He kinda looks like Cindy Crawford now.

Edited by Morbs
  • Love 3

The whole story is really tragic, how he has lived 65 years feeling like this. I'm just glad he has the courage to do this.

On a shallow note, Bruce has incredible genes. The children are all gorgeous. I had such a crush on Brody back in the day.

Edited by againstthewind
  • Love 8

I feel sorry for Jenner's oldest daughter. Seems like no one knows she even exists.

I only watched a little bit of the special. Is Jenner really that important enough to make a big impact? When he said it was going to change the world I started laughing. I think of him as the Olympian but mostly just the whipped husband of Kris Jenner.

I probably wouldn't have even watched as much as I did but I thought the part with his son Brendon was very interesting. I don't know much about him but he seems sweet and kind and seems to have his shit together. Not sure how that happened in that family.

Edited by OnceSane

Moved this from the Bruce thread:

She preferred not to reveal her name.

She also, no matter how/how often Diane phrased the question, refused to classify her sexual orientation. The best she came up with was "asexual," more or less ascribing that to her age (65).

She did say that Kris was well aware of her issues when they met because, having taken hormones for 5 years, she had developed B-cup breasts.

Kendall/Kylie didn't appear on the show but provided the comment "We want our dad to be happy - if he's happy, we're happy." The first two wives provided loving/positive comments for the program whereas Kris responded with "No comment."

SRS surgery is not an immediate priority; the ability to live and dress as who she is, is more important for now. It was nice to see that her mother and sister are supportive. Her dad died many years ago and, as can be expected for a WWII Omaha Beach vet, would most likely have had great difficulty with the whole situation.

I enjoyed the interview.

• Love 1

I don't think Diane Sawyer did a very good job. It's a complicated subject, and she didn't ask a lot of good questions or seem that informed. I don't feel like I learned a lot - everything seemed very on-the-surface.

On the more positive side, I liked it when Bruce said of the trashy Kardashian show - I was the one with the story to tell. How funny that their lives are all so vapid and lacking in meaning, and the one with a real story was hiding in the closet.

Interesting and not surprising that Bruce's first two ex-wives offered messages of support, and Kris said "no comment." Same with the kids, although I should probably cut Kendall and Kylie some slack because they're a lot younger. And have Kris as their mother.

I also don't think it's that surprising that Khloe is having the hardest time with the news. She's always seemed like a more caring and thoughtful person than her siblings, so Bruce was probably always more of a father figure to her, and she cared more (ie. like she is with Rob and his depression). The others are more disinterested and too narcissistic to care.

• Love 10

The statement made by Diane Sawyer was that for the purposes of this particular interview, Bruce preferred to be referred to as him.  

From the GLAAD statement about the interview:

At this time, Bruce Jenner has not requested that a new name or pronoun be used, therefore we are respecting his wishes and will continue to refer to Jenner by his current name and with male pronouns. Some transgender people prefer to change their name and/or pronoun quickly. Other transgender people may take more time to decide what name and/or pronoun feels right to them. To be respectful, use the name and/or pronoun requested by the individual.
Edited by Decider
  • Love 4

When all the stories started my first thought was back to that odd Kardashian Christmas card with Bruce in the what looked like a teleportation tube trying to get out. Anyway, as the conversation continues he may really help others as he wishes and I guess we'll next hear of her in that capacity. I too am looking forward to seeing how the story develops.

• Love 3

Very gracious and supportive comments from his first & second wives....No comment from Kris Jenner, of course.  Though knowing her, she'll take out an ad in the L.A. Times gushing about his bravery.  Anything for publicity.  

Not to say Kris Jenner is some sort of angel, but Bruce did break up with his first two wives decades ago, so you would hope they weren't hanging onto the negativity and bitterness about it 30 years later. Bruce also admitted to downplaying his gender struggles to Kris, though if I understood him correctly, he had started transitioning back then, ahead of when they met, and had to explain the breasts to her? Granted people in general were a lot less enlightened about these situations 20+ years ago, but you would think getting hormone therapy might have been a clue of the seriousness of it all. Maybe the idea was just too difficult for her to wrap her head around, especially in those days.

Edited by Dejana
  • Love 6

Wow, poor guy.  I can't believe how positive he is.  Good for him.  I know several young people with serious gender issues and I feel so bad for them.  

The one time I thought Sawyer sounded really stupid to me was "but I hate makeup!"  Diane has the option to wear it or not, he doesn't.  And I doubt she hates makeup so much she wishes it didn't exist as an option for herself.  

I think Kris tweeted something like 'fuck you perez hilton, they never even asked me to comment and bruce is sitting here watching it with me!'  Someone texted me a screencap and asked what was said on the show to instigate it. I have a hard time believing ABC never asked for a comment from Kris.  

I don't think Diane Sawyer did a very good job. It's a complicated subject, and she didn't ask a lot of good questions or seem that informed. I don't feel like I learned a lot - everything seemed very on-the-surface.

On the more positive side, I liked it when Bruce said of the trashy Kardashian show - I was the one with the story to tell. How funny that their lives are all so vapid and lacking in meaning, and the one with a real story was hiding in the closet.

Interesting and not surprising that Bruce's first two ex-wives offered messages of support, and Kris said "no comment." Same with the kids, although I should probably cut Kendall and Kylie some slack because they're a lot younger. And have Kris as their mother.

I also don't think it's that surprising that Khloe is having the hardest time with the news. She's always seemed like a more caring and thoughtful person than her siblings, so Bruce was probably always more of a father figure to her, and she cared more (ie. like she is with Rob and his depression). The others are more disinterested and too narcissistic to care.

Kendall and Kylie did release a statement for the show, which was shown along with those of Bruce's first 2 wives. They expressed love and support for their father.

Kris is denying that she was ever asked to comment. Yeah, OK, Kris. I think that after seeing the loving comments from Chrystie and Linda, Kris knows how bad her "no comment" makes her look and is doing some damage control. Too bad her excuse is totally ridiculous and unbelievable.

• Love 10

Kendall and Kylie did release a statement for the show, which was shown along with those of Bruce's first 2 wives. They expressed love and support for their father.

Kris is denying that she was ever asked to comment. Yeah, OK, Kris. I think that after seeing the loving comments from Chrystie and Linda, Kris knows how bad her "no comment" makes her look and is doing some damage control. Too bad her excuse is totally ridiculous and unbelievable.

I saw that Kendall and Kylie released a supportive statement, but they were the only two of six kids (I'm not incl. the Kardashians) that didn't show for the interview. Like I said, they're still fairly young, so it's probably harder for them. Plus, they're under the thumb, and management, of their "no comment" mother. And I totally agree that Kris' claim of never being contacted by ABC is totally unbelievable. Of course they contacted her. She's just embarrassed at how she came across.

I was 100% Team Bruce until the completely idiotic "Well, *I* believe in the Constitution." comment. Ugh.

Yeah, let us know how that Boehner/McConnell transgender rights convo thing works out for ya, Bruce.

Talk about politics getting in the way, cuz he totally lost me with that.

Another comment I didn't like - when he said he recently met up with the Russian decathlon athlete from the '76 Olympics he beat (I forget his name), who has apparently gained weight, and said: "I won that battle, too." Meow! Even worse, the guy released a very sweet and supportive message to Bruce. I wonder how he feels about that now. So much emphasis on looks and appearances, which is, of course, very Kardashian. I wonder if most transgender people are like this, or if Bruce is particularly into the plastic surgery and hair and makeup. I wish the interview had delved more into topics like this.

Edited by maraleia
removed transgenders and replaced it with the correct terminology transgender people
  • Love 7

I don't really look too much into who commented what and when or who showed up for interviews.  This is about Bruce, to be sure, but that doesn't mean that those around him aren't also experiencing something and they don't deserve to be shamed for not reacting in the 'right' way.  Part of supporting the trans community is also being supportive of their loved ones.  I realize this might be a special case because the Kardashians are a family known for orchestrating every public move they make, but it's still good practice to respect the loved ones when they choose to not speak at the moment.  

Another comment I didn't like - when he said he recently met up with the Russian decathlon athlete from the '76 Olympics he beat (I forget his name), who has apparently gained weight, and said: "I won that battle, too." Meow! Even worse, the guy released a very sweet and supportive message to Bruce. I wonder how he feels about that now. So much emphasis on looks and appearances, which is, of course, very Kardashian. I wonder if most transgender people are like this, or if Bruce is particularly into the plastic surgery and hair and makeup. I wish the interview had delved more into topics like this.

Trans*persons are people so there will be a lot of variation.  Some people like a very made up, surgical look, some like a very natural no make up look.  It depends entirely on the person and how they want to look and is not something unique to the trans community.  

• Love 5

I thought it was a good interview, but I think it says a lot that there was so little Kardashian participation.

Who else is he talking about when he says “we” are going to change the world? I was surprised to hear he started transitioning back in the 80s, I guess what everyone thought was bad plastic surgery back then was really the result of hormones.

I think he’s had a lot of work done recently, because he face looks a lot softer than it has. but he needs to get some lip plumping lessons from Kylie (sorry I’m going to hell, I know). Also, at the very end when he was saying goodbye to the crew, his boobs jiggled, so I think he’s had that done already.

• Love 3

^^ That answer makes a lot of sense. (bluebonnet). See? I learned more from your post than from a two-hour special!

Re: Kris Jenner - I guess I should have more sympathy for her "no comment" reaction, but I admit I'm too biased because of my deep loathing for all things Kardashian. I couldn't help but notice all of them sent tweets using the exact same words. If that wasn't coordinated by a PR strategist, I don't know what is. It would be cool to hear how they really feel, yet I think Bruce's comments on them were more illuminating.

Edited by LotusFlower
  • Love 5

So Jenner is a Republican...very very interesting.

And he wants to talk to John Boehner. Come on Republicans sit down and talk about issues regarding transgender issues and discrimination with Bruce

I'll admit I cried a bit. Not fair that some people just can't be themselves. We tell our kids be themselves but when they are people attack. I'm happy society is becoming more accepting of the gay and transgender community. It's good that Bruce is considering his kids feelings. Didn't know he had six kids. I thought it was four.

As for the Kardashians we all know damn well Kris was contacted. We also know they're liars. I think they support Bruce but don't want to speak out about it because Bruce is stepping out on his own.

I will give Kendall &Kylie some slack, but the rest are in their 30s

Edited by Darknight
  • Love 6

^^ That answer makes a lot of sense. (bluebonnet). See? I learned more from your post than from a two-hour special!

Re: Kris Jenner - I guess I should have more sympathy for her "no comment" reaction, but I admit I'm too biased because of my deep loathing for all things Kardashian. I couldn't help but notice all of them sent tweets using the exact same words. If that wasn't coordinated by a PR strategist, I don't know what is. It would be cool to hear how they really feel, yet I think Bruce's comments on them were more illuminating.

I admit I also have an almost knee-jerk reaction to their coordinated response because I want to see something more personalized (that is, if they decide they want to respond at all).  It might have been a misstep for their branding, but on a personal level, I really can't fault them.  

I do feel a special sympathy for the loved ones due to a volunteer position I have with a local trans support group.  Most transpersons worry a great deal about the reactions from their loved ones.  Too often, the reaction is not at all good and for these sorts of people, we just hope to continue educating and providing awareness to the community.  For those loved ones who are supportive or want to be supportive, I've learned to appreciate the struggle they experience while they learn to understand and modify what they thought they knew about the transperson. There is a sense of loss they experience that I still don't entirely understand.  I suppose the best way for people to understand would be to put yourself in the position where your father says that he is not the gender associated with being a father.  

I just think that regardless of the PR strategy involved, when the loved ones have not exhibited dangerous or bigoted behavior, their decision to no comment or discuss it should be respected.  For me, this about having empathy for the family, but even more about being supportive to the transperson who is already experiencing a great deal of stress and anxiety.  The additional stress of their loved ones being attacked for their (lack of) reactions can be debilitating.  

• Love 4

But see then Kris Jenner goes and lies about her "no comment" position, as Darknight wrote, so it's hard for me to respect her wishes when she changes her tune due to PR purposes.

I learned more about issues surrounding transgender people and the reaction of their loved ones from Chaz Bono and his mother than from this interview. I remember Cher, in particular, talking about her difficulties in accepting the change, and I thought it was very cute and very honest when she said "and I'm Cher!" If someone as open-minded and unconventional as Cher struggles with this issue, then man, it must be real. To me, Bruce's connection to the farce and fakery and media circus of the Kardashians makes him a less than ideal spokesperson. I'm glad he feels free and is finally living his truth, but I'm not expecting much more from him besides this interview.

• Love 4

I couldn't care less about politics, never have, never will so none of that bothered me.

I remember sitting glued to the TV with my family and all of my brother's friends watching Bruce win the gold. He was amazing. My brother still has his Wheaties box.

I can separate him from the Kardashians.

First the shallow, I thought he looked great! He looked very soft and pretty in my opinion.

I wish society was in a place where he could walk out of his house dressed fully as a woman and not be followed and ridiculed.

He hasn't even started wearing women's clothes in public and the paparazzi are already hassling him.

That's so fucked up.

I wonder if he wishes he had finished the transition that he started back in the 80s when he could have done it in relative privacy. I wonder why, after taking hormones for 5 years he decided to stop and get married again.

I wonder how much Kim and Kanye paid him to say that bull crap line about Kanye being the one to turn her around.

Edit: Damn...I'm doing a lot of wondering tonight.

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 10

Another comment I didn't like - when he said he recently met up with the Russian decathlon athlete from the '76 Olympics he beat (I forget his name), who has apparently gained weight, and said: "I won that battle, too." Meow!

I noticed right from the start that Bruce is exhibiting very emotional responses; fifteen minutes or so into the show I told my mom that he certainly is acting like a woman.   So it's my understanding that the hormones taken effectively change your personality too?  I remember watching Chaz Bono talk about how he changed so fundamentally when he began hormone therapy, particularly his sex drive.  Maybe Bruce feels asexual because of the female hormones.  Anyway, yeah, meow girl!  I thought it was really nice that he's still in contact with the Russian guy, maybe he's in on the joke.

I also noticed that Bruce's voice is changing, he is still clearly male-sounding but his voice is different.

• Love 3

I liked this interview and Bruce despite Sawyer.  She did not do a good job.  This subject has been around long enough to skip the "are you gay" question.  Her comment about makeup was just plain stupid.  

I smell Kris behind her and the K girls absence.  She wants to protect their show and probably thought their appearance might harm that.  Bruce did not talk about her either and I believe that was by design, Kris' design. 

He must have recently had the tip of his nose revised; it looks much better.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
This is a really fascinating read about Linda Thompson.

Very interesting about how the boys were somewhat explained Bruce's being absent in their lives. I always wondered about their reconciliation and just assumed it was to get on tv, but now makes more sense in the whole context.

I wonder if he wishes he had finished the transition that he started back in the 80s when he could have done it in relative privacy. I wonder why, after taking hormones for 5 years he decided to stop and get married again.

That is what I wonder too! I understand backing off, but why chose to play house for another 25 years and raise two more kids? Edit: AND be represented on a reality show for eight years! Edited by TaxNerd
  • Love 2

I couldn't live under a microscope like most celebrities do. There's not a corner of this earth that Bruce could escape to where he's not going to be hounded, which I find very sad. That said....

It's hard for me to reconcile the Bruce that says he's introverted with the Bruce that appears to love being in the public eye. His reality show will either be a great platform or a joke which could have disastrous effects to the transgender community. Just calling it a reality show somehow cheapens it, though, so we shall see. The shout out to Kanye doesn't bode well either. The minute that jackass shows up as a sympathetic character, I'm out. Anybody know who's producing it? Name better not start with a 'K'.

• Love 5

It must have been horrible to be so mentally tormented for 60 years, never being able to be himself fully... Life must have been a living hell... Can't imagine how hard it must have been. I'm just glad he can now find peace with himself, living his last years fully & content. Kudos to him for opening up to the world. You go girl!!

• Love 3

Bruce being a Republican hasn't changed my opinion of him.  Bruce looks so free and happy now and he seemed very sincere in wanting to help fellow trans persons.  And if Bruce being more on the conservative side of the political spectrum helps change a few Republican minds (or helps trans people who happen to be Republicans as well), then it's fine by me.

• Love 6

I was raised in a staunchly Republican home, but over the years have adopted a mostly Democrat mindset.  However, I still maintain a few traditionally Republican views.  I'm not 100% either way, nor do I think are most people.

His political beliefs are immaterial to me, but I respect his right to hold them.  And I truly hope he helps the more conservative elements see a different side to the issues.

I was very happy to see both his sister and mother supporting and loving him wholeheartedly.  That was lovely. 

• Love 8

I am very impressed with this woman.  What a lovely and kind soul.  She didn't ask for alimony or child support when she heard one out of four trans people commit suicide.  She didn't want to put pressure on him that could rock his fragile emotional state.  

I would like to hear Kris speak of what her experience was.  I wonder if he told Kris before they married, shortly after or way down the line.  I am thinking it must have been after the girls were born but when? 

I get it that Kris did not want to speak on the topic before Bruce but it is time for her support now. 

Edited by maraleia
changed transexual to trans people per terminology standards
  • Love 6
Another comment I didn't like - when he said he recently met up with the Russian decathlon athlete from the '76 Olympics he beat (I forget his name), who has apparently gained weight, and said: "I won that battle, too." Meow!

That comment nearly turned me off the interview.  It was needlessly mean, and you'd honestly think that someone who has struggled with his appearance like Jenner has would not be so quick to make comments like that about other people. 

This subject has been around long enough to skip the "are you gay" question.

I don't think it's out of bounds to ask the question.  He's saying that he feels he is a woman who loves women.  It seems like a normal question to ask if that would mean he is a lesbian.       

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 7

I would like to hear Kris speak of what her experience was.  I wonder if he told Kris before they married, shortly after or way down the line.  I am thinking it must have been after the girls were born but when? 

I get it that Kris did not want to speak on the topic before Bruce but it is time for her support now. 

I'm not sure how Kris could be truthful about it now.   Her story so far was that she had no idea whatsoever until after they split and he told the world.  But Bruce himself says he was a 36B back when they married and he cross-dressed around the house at times from day one, which she was aware of.  

Bruce's hair is much fuller now than in recent years.  Would increased estrogen do that or would it have to be a weave or something?  

I think it was odd how Rob K. was virtually skipped.  Bruce's prior kids all appeared.  His other stepkids all at least were discussed and showed a formal comment.   Rob may have wanted to be glossed over.  The one thing your mind springs to with him is 'poor Rob, growing up in that house full of women and now to find out even Bruce was one.'