Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Ponderosa

• Start Topic

It's gotta suck for people like Joe, Jenn, and Hali, who loved this game and wanted to be part of the whole strategic aspect-and they got bumped by a majority that wouldn't know strategy if Jeff outlined it for them.  Hearing Tyler and especially Dan talk, being down on Mike for actually playing the game, has to be aggravating.  Dan doesn't get it.  I can see why it took him so long to get on this show.  He is just so clueless.  He was so dead set on being a memorable character, and got too comfortable.  That's what was lacking when the majority didn't budge, everyone got comfortable, no one thinks ahead to being on the bottom. 

• Love 4

Okay, after reading like 1 Dan interview from today (after he's had time to watch more episodes and dare I say, reflect?), I'm not too convinced he's learned anything or will learn anything from this experience. My bad.

I don't particularly want to say something nice, but I have to say after he was cleaned up, Dan's 40-pound weight loss was pretty apparent and he looked much healthier. But hasn't he read that article about how they found a bunch of beards to be dirtier than toilets?

• Love 1

Tyler seems surprised that the other contestants were playing the game and that he didn't know a lot of what was going on with them.  Has he ever watched the show?

• Love 3

Tyler seems surprised that the other contestants were playing the game and that he didn't know a lot of what was going on with them.  Has he ever watched the show?

That's what I'm wondering about every one of them this season.  They are "super fans" but are we sure it's the Survivor that they've watched before?  The only people who seemed to have any concept of the game were voted out.

• Love 1

Delusional and a complete lack self awareness, on top of that he feels completely righteous in the way behaved.  Hopefully when he gets home his wife can enlighten him a little - but I seriously doubt it, he is dead set in his beliefs and he's incapable of changing.   I WAS married to one of those, and his dad was the same way...they are a truly different breed.

• Love 5
(I say they vote for that cute kitty napping outside the gates)

That kitty, and the female medic letting Dan know that no, she was not admiring the fine specimen of manliness (or whatever he called himself, which I don't remember word-for-word, because barf), were the only things that got me through all his pontificating and idiocy in this video!

I can't figure out what his crown was--it had his name along the side--maybe the rest was fire? 

• Love 6

That kitty, and the female medic letting Dan know that no, she was not admiring the fine specimen of manliness (or whatever he called himself, which I don't remember word-for-word, because barf), were the only things that got me through all his pontificating and idiocy in this video!

I can't figure out what his crown was--it had his name along the side--maybe the rest was fire? 

I thought it was funny that, so far, everyone got an up close with their crown but Dan didn't.  I have a feeling it wasn't anything personal like with the others.  I wonder what Will's will be.

Tyler's video was not enough to make me forget that he told wome to "Sit there and look pretty." during the game. Wonder if he pulls that shit with his wife?

I still haven't forgotten about that either. It grosses me out. I wondered about how his wife takes it, but maybe she's the type that thinks it's awesome and that traditional gender roles are great for women.

• Love 1

That was f*%king hilarious, stinky Dan bustin' a move on the medic and her response - what a charmer!

Yeah, I loved that.  The medic was having none of Dan's bs and Dan seemed totally shocked that he wasn't perceived as he saw himself.  Because, after all, he's a self-aware person.

I've never watched a Ponderosa video before - I'm generally content to watch the show, read these forums and read some interviews.  But I had to see Dan because he's so completely delusional.  And the video delivered.  He's a hero who didn't learn anything about himself.  Way to go, 'Merica!

• Love 2
(edited)

That was pure comedy.

I loved the female doctor who was just like 'No,' about him. Is there some way she can win this season? Or can I do a write-in vote for her for Second Chances?

Tyler and Dan both just have no idea what happened out there. It's hilarious. I mean obviously Dan is like 100 times more delusional and stupid than Tyler, but Tyler's up there.

I feel bad for Hali, Jenn, and Joe. Especially poor Joe. He seems to be trying so hard to be nice to everyone but then we see the glimpses of his soul slowly being crushed by these idiots. It seems like Jenn/Hali/Shirin might have asked him to take one for the team and hang out with Dan. Poor guy!

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 5

I do think that the alliance of 6 was playing a different game then the others who made the merge. I think they had their own narrative and just don't understand how the others saw it playing out. Both Tyler and Dan said they were part of the heros of the season. Tyler was not portrayed as a slime ball but he was no where hear a hero. The way the show was edited, it sure seems like the Axis of Evil perception by Shirin, Jenn, Hali, Joe, and Mike was far more accurate then the Hero's edit from the alliance of 6.

And I have a feeling that the tightness of this season is really Joe, Shirin, Mike, Hali, Jenn, and Sierra with Tyler and Carolyn talking to those folks. And then Joaquin, Rodney, Dan, and Will with Tyler and Carolyn talking to those folks as well. I don't hear much about So, Vince, Nina, Lindsey or Kelly hanging with either group or hanging out as a unit. I really think that there are three ways that people see this show and it really is based on what block they hung out with before and after the merge.

• Love 4
(edited)

Especially poor Joe. He seems to be trying so hard to be nice to everyone but then we see the glimpses of his soul slowly being crushed by these idiots.

I noticed that also.  That one point where Joe was looking over his wine glass, that others have noted, while Dan/Tyler were deep in game discussions and he just looked so sad to be listening to it.  I guess he also could have had droopy eyes because of the amount of alcohol necessary to listen to them.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 4

The intercutting between Dan and Jenn was very nice.  She made a great analogy with chess too.

But maybe what takes the cake is the fact that he started the video saying he was a "hero" and finished by calling himself a "very self-aware individual".  *snort*

Dan will put on a banana hammock, go out to the pool and float around in a big dirty tire drinking cheeseburger-flavored daiquiris, eating spaghetti, and smoking a cigar. So most people will just stop using the pool.

This made me literally get a side stitch from laughing!  OMG, what an image...

Delusion thy name is Dan.

Most players seem to be nicer, better people when reverting back to their "normal" selves at Ponderosa, but not Dan. What you saw during gameplay is who he seems to be in real life. I feel for his wife.

But his wife might be a real piece of work herself...

Yes!  That was golden there, seeing him get shot down like that.

• Love 4
That one point where Joe was looking over his wine glass, that others have noted, while Dan/Tyler were deep in game discussions and he just looked so sad to be listening to it.

Probably because Dan / Tyler actually played the game, to one degree or another.   Joe?  Not so much.

• Love 2

Joe admits his strategic game sucked.  But in his defense, as well as Hali and Jenn, no one wanted to have anything to do with them.  No one would align or strategize with them.  The closest we saw (and didn't see) was the potential girls alliance with Sierra, that ended up blindsiding Hali when she was voted off.  And Hali mentioned getting close to Mike and hoping to form something with him.  While Hali and Joe were a little bit nicer in their exit interviews about the "excellent" game play going on out there, I liked that Jenn didn't sugar coat it.  Joe did say to Mike and Tyler they would be coming after them once the NC were gone, and Jenn tried talking until she was blue in the face that the 6 would have to turn on each other.  No one seemed to care or think they were vulnerable.  She even said Dan told her he'd rather finish in 6th than flip (hey, she ended up giving that part away).  So I think Joe tried.  Just everyone was too set in their boring ways to throw him a bone.

I noticed when the tribe was heading back to camp after Dan was voted off, Joe had kind of a sad expression on his face.  He really wanted to be there and play this game, and I'm hoping next season he gets a real shot.  I took his deadpan look to mean "these guys are such idiots, how did they not see any of this coming when I told them this would happen."

• Love 3

Joe admits his strategic game sucked.  But in his defense, as well as Hali and Jenn, no one wanted to have anything to do with them.  No one would align or strategize with them. 

Joe did say to Mike and Tyler they would be coming after them once the NC were gone, and Jenn tried talking until she was blue in the face that the 6 would have to turn on each other.  No one seemed to care or think they were vulnerable.  She even said Dan told her he'd rather finish in 6th than flip (hey, she ended up giving that part away).  So I think Joe tried.  Just everyone was too set in their boring ways to throw him a bone.

I think they had good reason not to align with the NC3.  They knew they couldn't beat them, if they all went to the end.  So it made all the sense in the world for them not to join forces. 

We are seeing the same thing now with Mike.  Everyone wants him out because they know he will win if gets to  FTC.  Terry faced this same problem in Panama: he was the #1 target, even before merge, that everyone wanted to boot, not join. 

• Love 2

I think that's the root of the Mike/Dan issue. Dan turned on Mike because he knew he couldn't beat him. But it doesn't really fit Dan's perception of himself, a hero wouldn't turn on a friend for a million dollars! So when Mike gave him the tiniest excuse with the letters, Dan jumped on it. And being an incredibly delusional person, Dan can't admit that it was all gameplay. He keeps building it up in his head that Mike's a jerk who betrayed him and we'll probably heading for the worst question of this season's FTC.  

Dan will show the world what a hero does to a villain! This guy is totally Rupert without the pirate gimmick. 

• Love 7

I finally craved in and watched all of Ponderosa in one go (yes, even Dan, which I hesitated to watch but was hilarious - random medical staff female, Jenn's views, Dan's still profound non-reflexions that were so absurd thet became surrealiastic). My fav Dan quote: "I learned nothing about myself. Absolutely nothing". If he wasn't so delusional, I'd say that at least he is honest, lol. Another WTF quote, from the day after maybe, [paraphrasing] "I hope I will get richer... in number of friends" - if that isn't ROTFLable, what is? of course, if you're so inclined, it warrants crying all the tears you have in you. I laughed because I half expected him to talk dollars there, but dude just wants new friends, espacially famous Survivor players I bet. Yes, I'm not surprised he's bitter in interviews.

I love Joe even more now - this guy intelligently reflects on his experience and is learning from it - about himself and about the game.

On the flipside, Shirin lost me - way to reflect on others' behavious, nag Tyler about what she wants to tell him about himself ("his loss if he misses on the opportunity" - paraphrasing), while not one sentence of her reflecting on her behaviour, what she'd improve, where she messed up, etc. The mindframe where you think you have plenty to tell others but have no self-reflection is not a good one to be in IF you expect to be on the next Survivor and improve your standing. I feel for her as a person but don't think she's suited for a game as cutthrost as Survivor. YMMV etc. 

• Love 1

My understanding (from interviews, I think) of Tyler's "sit there and look pretty" is that it was just a catchphrase of his, and he used it a lot, to everyone, even when talking about himself. I'm okay with it, and don't see it as sexist- it's like he's making a joke about the "pretty girls don't have to work" stereotype, not embracing it. Reasonable minds can differ, though.

Dan's Ponderosa was insane. He never will change, because he never will acknowledge that anything he has ever done was wrong. His post-game interviews have demonstrated that clearly, and those are happening now, after he and everyone he knows have seen the episodes. He still maintains everything he said in his Ponderosa video. He has this misplaced confidence and arrogance - he didn't learn anything out there because he already knows everything about himself, his alliance stayed loyal (ignoring, I guess, Will and Tyler's votes), he was too nice and not villainy enough, so on and so forth. I don't know if it's narcissism or regular old personality disorder or a defense mechanism or what; what I do know is that him does not make him like able.

I found it interesting how everyone was discussing the things Carolyn did and told about. I'm sure they talk about the whole game a lot, but I don't know if there are as many "surprises" about other people as there seemed to be about Carolyn having the idol and about her telling everyone about Dan's advantage. Maybe Rodney's role in forming that alliance, but there's not much else I can think of. It got me wondering what, if anything, it might mean for Carolyn at final three, especially if Mike is also there (unlikely!).

• Love 1
(edited)

My understanding (from interviews, I think) of Tyler's "sit there and look pretty" is that it was just a catchphrase of his, and he used it a lot, to everyone, even when talking about himself. I'm okay with it, and don't see it as sexist- it's like he's making a joke about the "pretty girls don't have to work" stereotype, not embracing it. Reasonable minds can differ, though.

If anyone uses a phrase like that with women that don't know him, he can't be surprised if they are offended by it.  How he decided it's a cute "catchphrase" is beyond me.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 6

Dan developed the storyline long before he went on and cannot see anything outside of his dream scenario. He took Penners "I am a storyteller" to heart and tried his hardest to set the story for CBS. There was the juggling, the crying, the fat jokes, the "I control my vote", and all that fun that was suppose to lead us to love Dan as the fat, juggling, emotional, strategic genius who won Survivor. We were not suppose to see the confrontations with Lindsey, Sierra, Rodney, Shirin, and Mike. At least, we were not suppose to see him in a negative light. We were not suppose to see a social outcast in the early days and the development of a goat.

The only part of his edit that he likes is that he was seen as dangerous. We all know that he was dangerous only because of his advantage, he thinks he was dangerous because of his amazing game play.

• Love 5
(edited)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AX6wXtxev4

Sierra's Ponderosa.  She lost 21 lbs. and got a horse crown.  Seemed in very high spirits, and everyone was happy to see her.  She really was not cut out for this game, imo.  Very nice woman, but just not sneaky, mean, or cut throat enough to do it.  Much like Tyler, a pretty boring video.  I thought it was going to get hijacked by Shirin, but it was actually by Dan.  Who is still bitter over Mike, and said it would be poetic justice for anyone to be wearing that immunity necklace at the next tribal council (joke was on you, Dan!)  Sierra thinks voting for Carolyn over Dan cost her Mike's trust.  I have to say, her voice is kind of grating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfqLs_Dpoac

Rodney's Ponderosa.  He lost 33 lbs.  He said he wasn't going to follow any rules at Ponderosa, and was still making fun of Mike being a redneck in TX (where no one wants to live).  He thinks it speaks to his competitiveness that he got bloody knuckles from the fire challenge.  He didn't really want to talk to anyone at first.  Joe wanted to punch someone in the head because Rodney and Carolyn couldn't make fire, and he doesn't understand why no one does their homework on that stuff.  I felt like I needed subtitles for the Rodney parts.  That was rough.  He talked about his sister and how Survivor gave him some sort of peace of mind about her death.  I noticed he didn't keep his crown on for very long.

What happened to Hali's eye?  It's all red.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Rodney is insufferable. He's just what people in Texas think of easterners. He'thinks he is better than people who live in Texas and yet he knows absolutely nothing about the state. Texans like to play stupid just to dupe people like him.

Listening to his accent is like nails on the blackboard.

• Love 4

Sierra: BOOOOOOORING

Rodney: I have to say, as much as Rodney is a terrible jerk, I still feel like he got the game and I will decide to take his word for it when he says the game helped him find peace and appreciation for things that many other people don't have, like food, shelter, and family, and that he feels like the game was a success for him.  I'm glad it worked out for you, Rodney.  Now don't be on TV anymore.

• Love 7

Sierra's Ponderosa.  She lost 21 lbs. and got a horse crown.  Seemed in very high spirits, and everyone was happy to see her.  She really was not cut out for this game, imo.  Very nice woman, but just not sneaky, mean, or cut throat enough to do it.  Much like Tyler, a pretty boring video.  

Yeah, I don't really get why she was even cast.  Is it getting so they are having trouble finding young, semi-attractive women who are just willing to do it?

As I was saying in the finale thread, the weird thing about this season's Ponderosa is that (as I noted upthread) it was filmed with much higher production values than in the past, but it ended up consisting primarily of single interviews with each of the bootees in succession.  What happened to the days they'd go on excursions and do other activities together?  Seems like they used to have multiple videos each week: they could have these ones that are focused on sort of debriefing people as one, and have the other be a group thing.

• Love 1
(edited)

I love Sierra's crown. That is awesome. I also loved how she focused on having a good relationship with Shirin and how happy she was that Shirin wasn't upset with her. All that says to me is that "everyone hates Shirin" crap was pretty bogus. And then there was Dan being Dan and anti-Mike.

Edited by ProfCrash
  • Love 4

Dear Rodney,

I grew up in Connecticut and I liked it well enough at the time, and then 20+ years ago I moved to Texas, Now wouldn't live back east if you paid me. There goes your theory that no one wants to live here. Also last time I looked, my neck wasn't red unless I've got a sunburn from all that nice sunshine we get here.

What an asshole! Rodney (and Dan) have no redeeming qualities for me. I hope never to see either of them again.

Sierra does seem like a very nice person, maybe not cut out for the game, but it's hard to know until you're actually playing. Somehow, I doubt we'll ever see her back on Survivor. 

• Love 4

I didn't think it was possible for me to find Rodney any more repulsive than I did while he as on the show, but that Ponderosa video proved me wrong!  What a repulsive display of chauvinism regarding Mike/Texas.  And his face, without the beard.  Oy.  There's something varmint-like about his face.  I did like Joe's indignation regarding the fire-making.

Also curious: how tall/short is he?  He weighs 147 now and he still looks like Hans and Franz.  He's gotta be under 5'6".

• Love 1

Sierra does seem like a very nice person, maybe not cut out for the game, but it's hard to know until you're actually playing. Somehow, I doubt we'll ever see her back on Survivor.

I usually cannot find any fault with a person who loves horses. Like Sierra, I can surround myself with horses all day long. I can go on a very long trail ride and enjoy the scerenity without hearing any complaints. Horses, like dogs, are capable of unconditional love.

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah, I don't really get why she was even cast.  Is it getting so they are having trouble finding young, semi-attractive women who are just willing to do it?

As I was saying in the finale thread, the weird thing about this season's Ponderosa is that (as I noted upthread) it was filmed with much higher production values than in the past, but it ended up consisting primarily of single interviews with each of the bootees in succession.  What happened to the days they'd go on excursions and do other activities together?  Seems like they used to have multiple videos each week: they could have these ones that are focused on sort of debriefing people as one, and have the other be a group thing.

Okay, so I'm not crazy.  I was thinking back to the first season they did Ponderosa (Micronesia), and I remember the jury boots getting 2 and 3 videos each.  And we saw the final 2 (I remember that because of everyone being hammered and James doing some weird dance).  But Eliza and Ozzy, didn't they go on some snorkeling excursion?  Now it seems like the only thing to do at Ponderosa is get completely drunk and make crowns.  Which the crown concept was adorable.  I wonder what kind of crown Will got.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1
(edited)

What happened to Hali's eye?  It's all red.

She tweeted today that she busted a blood vessel in her eye. Ouch.

Edited by LanceM

Okay, so I'm not crazy. I was thinking back to the first season they did Ponderosa (Micronesia), and I remember the jury boots getting 2 and 3 videos each. And we saw the final 2 (I remember that because of everyone being hammered and James doing some weird dance). But Eliza and Ozzy, didn't they go on some snorkeling excursion? Now it seems like the only thing to do at Ponderosa is get completely drunk and make crowns. Which the crown concept was adorable. I wonder what kind of crown Will got.

I hope Shirin made him one in the shape of a fish.

• Love 2

He talks a million miles an hour, but once he got over his anger at Mike he was able to talk persuasively about his strategy and experience. If he'd gotten to the end, I definitely think he could have beaten Sierra and Will, probably Dan, maybe even Carolyn. It depends on how angrily he would have reacted to their questions, I guess.

• Love 1

Rodney is insufferable. He's just what people in Texas think of easterners. He'thinks he is better than people who live in Texas and yet he knows absolutely nothing about the state. Texans like to play stupid just to dupe people like him.

Listening to his accent is like nails on the blackboard.

It's weird. I'm an easterner living in Texas for 15+ years now, & Rodney is the worst caricature of a Guido type. He made me cringe. 

Dear Rodney,

I grew up in Connecticut and I liked it well enough at the time, and then 20+ years ago I moved to Texas, Now wouldn't live back east if you paid me. There goes your theory that no one wants to live here. Also last time I looked, my neck wasn't red unless I've got a sunburn from all that nice sunshine we get here.

What an asshole! Rodney (and Dan) have no redeeming qualities for me. I hope never to see either of them again.

Yes! I endorse this. :D

• Love 1

Rodney, plenty of people live in Texas, want to live in Texas, love living in Texas.  I'm one.

I would NOT want to live anywhere near anywhere Rodney lived.  In fact, I would really like to have an Early Rodney Warning System, so that if Rodney ever did come anywhere near my space, I had time to relocate.  Anywhere else.

Insufferable douchebag.  

But I'm happy for him if he really is at peace about his sister. 

• Love 6
(edited)

I would almost surely rather live in Massachusetts than in Texas (I've never been to TX and don't have any urgent desire to change that, though I get the impression that Austin is kinda cool), but Rodney's still a total d-bag.

Edited by SlackerInc
  • Love 2

While Texas (or anywhere that hot) would not be my first choice of a place to live, I have to say, it must be pretty damn great there, because the residents always seems so proud. I don't think I've ever met anyone from Texas that didn't swear up and down that it was the best place ever.

Rodney is still a douche.

• Love 5

I would almost surely rather live in Massachusetts than in Texas (I've never been to TX and don't have any urgent desire to change that, though I get the impression that Austin is kinda cool), but Rodney's still a total d-bag.

I lived my entire adult life in MA and miss it.   The culture there is hard to duplicate anywhere else.  I, too, have heard Austin is the only place in Texas that someone from the northeast could tolerate and maybe like. 

• Love 1

I lived my entire adult life in MA and miss it. The culture there is hard to duplicate anywhere else. I, too, have heard Austin is the only place in Texas that someone from the northeast could tolerate and maybe like.

One of my best friends was born and raised in the Boston area. She's lived in Houston Texas for 30+ years and does not miss MA except for the Cape and she visits there sometimes to reunite w her HS best friend. She misses Texas while there. I wasn't born or raised in Texas, but lived there for 20 years. I moved further west because I needed more access to the outdoors and more sunshine.

I was reluctant to move to Texas because of ignorant stereotypes I had in my head, but a job opportunity took me there. I have no regrets. I enjoy it when I go back for visits, but I prefer the wide-open spaces in the mountain west. I'm a western person. There are great things about MA (not Rodney or his dreadful accent) and I think it's terrific that people love the places they live. What I dislike is people denigrating somewhere else that they've never been and know very little about. Texas in particular is a very big state with a lot of diversity in geography as well as population. It's sort of like people making judgments about New York based on New York City.

Btw, although Austin is worshiped in Texas, I could never live there. :D

• Love 2

I think it's terrific that people love the places they live.

This.  We should all (Rodney!) accept that we have different preferences and needs and be glad that our country is vast and varied enough to accommodate all of us.

I am sensitive about this because I live in a place that is generally considered fair game for open insults and rudeness (NYC).  I get sick of people insulting the place that I've chosen to live to my face, when I would never be so rude about their home.  It's even more insulting if people don't have the resources or wherewithal to move someplace else.

• Love 3

I am sensitive about this because I live in a place that is generally considered fair game for open insults and rudeness (NYC)

Agreed, as another New Yorker by choice.  With the addition that anti-NYC feelings sometimes have an undercurrent of racism or anti-Semitism.  But we've all encountered the cringeworthy Ugly New Yorker who literally thinks that human culture stops at the Hudson - and Rodney is the Boston version of that.  Blecch, as they say at that venerable NY institution, MAD.

• Love 3
(edited)

I hope they get a new cameraperson or something because these past two seasons of Ponderosas have had like 75% of the shots terribly out-of-focus. I get what they're trying to do by making it look more artsy, but it's not fun when you constantly see the camera focusing in and out because of the super shallow lenses they are using.

Edited by niklj
  • Love 1

I disagree--I really like the cinematography this season.  My only complaint is as I said upthread: keep the videos that are focused on the most recent boot, but go back to adding some that show the whole group hanging out, going on excursions, etc.

• Love 3