Type keyword(s) to search

S30: Ponderosa

• Start Topic

I think it was a bad call for the editors to include so much in the Ponderosa video because I think people prefer seeing the happy, fun, silly stuff (like Joe licking Tyler!). But Tyler and Shirin can't control that, and I imagine the footage is being edited in response to how the season is being received. 

I agree. I am still waiting to her the full version of Hali's song about America.

• Love 1

Totally agree.  I don't care enough for the people left; I'm only tuning in for Joe/Jenn/Hali.  If it's going to be the Shirin show every week where she goes off on everyone and makes a spectacle, then I'm out.  I sometimes wished the Ponderosa vids were longer, but in cases like this I'm glad they aren't.

• Love 1

I do wonder if Shirin will have a running commentary with each new Pomderosa guest?! If she already has a beef with Tyler who didn't even yell at her lord knows what the rest will have to listen to. Granted, this was all done in real time but I still think each Survivor should have their own video without commentary from Shirin or anyone else altogether.

• Love 3

Bitter Tribal Councils are never fun. I never really understood the bitter jury thing. You are one of 18-20 people playing and only 2-3 can end up in the end. You lost and some went further than you or won altogether. Now, if Dan & Will are in the final (God help us) I can't even imagine how bad it could get with Sherin or even Jenn have something to say about it. It could get pretty ugly. It could also get ugly if they don't make the final and are on the jury and arrive at Ponderosa. Yikes!

I usually turn against whoever the bitter betties are on the jury.  It's all grand standing and making a spectacle of yourself.  I'm sure Shirin will outdo herself.  I understand the raw emotion, whether you were blindsided by your allies or have someone like Will or Dan sitting there.  TBH, no one seemed to realize just how Dan was out there until they watched the show (at least that's what I understood from interviews).  So I actually wonder if he will get it as bad as Will.  But the whole point of the game is making it to the end and winning (you know, the 'outlast' part of the slogan).  For anyone on the jury, if they had done the same thing, they wouldn't have any problem with themselves over it.  It's just the case of someone getting them first.

(edited)

I think production helps with the jury questions.  They cannot put emotion where there is none but I do think they urge confrontation from those who are inclined. 

And oh yes, they are going to hear from Shirin.  I think she probably has an issue with everyone left in the game, other than Mike.  Though I am tired of her self absorbed conversations/confrontations, I am kind of looking forward to another one.  Odd, I know.  We will see more of it at Ponderosa as the next 2 arrive.  

I don't see Joe, Tyler, or Hali being bitter. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 1
(edited)

I don't know that Jenn will be bitter.  She might call people out for lack of strategy, but I don't think she'll go the Sue Hawk route of jury speeches.  Sometimes it seems like the jury doesn't even ask questions, they just stand there and make it all about them and how the people sitting in the final 3 hurt them, while totally berating them in the same manner that they are accusing them of.  It's a hilarious cycle.  I always like the follow up at the reunion where Jeff will sometimes ask if said juror regrets the harsh words; you know they want to say yes, but to save face, they say no or dance around the question. 

I agree about Joe, Hali, and Tyler.  If Sierra is voted out, I don't know that she'll be bitter (she wouldn't really have any reason to be).  Mike might not be a bitter juror, either.  I think Shirin, and possibly Carolyn and Rodney will be the worst.  I think it will depend on the circumstances on how they are booted.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
(edited)

I forgot to mention Jenn.  She won't be bitter, she was relieved when booted and Is having a fabulous time at Ponderosa.   Best days of her life, she said!  If Sierra is next, she is going to have a good time, too.  I see no bitterness there.  

Edited by wings707
  • Love 3

In the first couple seasons of survivor I could understand the bitter player.   Now that we are in S30 we have seen just about every way to lie, backstab, bus squish, control and manipulate others - if you are picked to play you have to expect it and you wouldn't take it personally.   But then again, personality clashes or perceived targeting/slights could cloud a jury members ability to separate the play from the player.

I AM NOT defending Dan because I think he is a POS...but I think that his play is prey on the insecurities in women - cause them to over think their moves, get into their heads and get them to doubt everything they do, make them weak.  He only seemed to do it to the least confident women Sierra and Shirin - and he has left the other women alone with his crap.  Other than that he has NO game...he is a leech and I hope he is the next Ponderosa video shown.

• Love 2

I can't wait until midnight. I'm dying to see how Ponderosa is when Dan arrives. Will everyone turn away? Will the girls not be nice? Will Tyler or Joe break the ice. It should be interesting.

• Love 2
(edited)

I think Joe and Hali will be nice to him.  Unless they are both wasted, and in that case it may be a different story.  And they may have been tossing back the booze knowing what was clomping their way.  I'd still like to see Dan show up, but find the door locked and the lights all out.

Since Hali's in charge, she'll probably be nice with the crown.  They need to let Jenn make them.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 4

I thought I read that people didn't really have much of a problem with Dan until after the show started airing? If that is the case I doubt there will be many fireworks at Ponderosa even between him and Shirin.

I thought I read that people didn't really have much of a problem with Dan until after the show started airing? If that is the case I doubt there will be many fireworks at Ponderosa even between him and Shirin.

Yeah, it's kind of the reverse with him and Rodney: no one could stand Rodney out there but now he seems somewhat friendly with the cast, with some of the recents castoffs saying they underestimated him.  On the flip side, no one really knew what was going on with Dan out there.  I guess because Dan did all of his crap shooting when no one was around.  Rodney was in your face.  Of course, Tyler says Rodney was playing that up for the cameras.  I think Will, and possibly Carolyn and Sierra will have the biggest issues arriving at Ponderosa.  Will for the obvious Shirin drama and flipping on his NC at the merge.  Carolyn didn't seem popular out there, and Shirin didn't seem fond of Sierra for not sticking up for her during the Will confrontation.

(edited)

My predictions, for whichever future jurors end up there.

Sierra will fade right into the woodwork.

Dan will put on a banana hammock, go out to the pool and float around in a big dirty tire drinking cheeseburger-flavored daiquiris, eating spaghetti, and smoking a cigar. So most people will just stop using the pool.

Will might hang out with Dan, though.

Rodney will be that annoying but kind of funny dumbass that every party ends up with. No one will worry much about it.

Will, if given a choice, would choose to hang out with Rodney instead of Dan. But that just means fewer people would talk to Rodney. There's room to separate into cliques, They aren't all sleeping in one tent any more.

Mike will pretty much act completely normal, I think.

And Carolyn will get roaring drunk and try to seduce Tyler. She might wake up next to Rodney, though.

Edited by CletusMusashi
  • Love 10
I think Will, and possibly Carolyn and Sierra will have the biggest issues arriving at Ponderosa.

Sierra's been part of the super tight NC/Shirin/Mike group in all of the post-show socializing. I don't think she'll have problems. At most, she may get the same thing Tyler got with Shirin asking Sierra why she didn't stand up for Shirin. But there shouldn't be any cold shoulders. I think the only one who might get cold shouldered would be Will. In addition to the Shirin altercation, Will also lied to Joe/Jenn/Hali about votes, which they now all know. But who are we kidding? Will's not ending up in Ponderosa because everyone wants to sit next to him in f3. 

• Love 1
(edited)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmBnaiQQzvw

Dan's Ponderosa vid.

He feels like he was a hero and happy his alliance stood by him.  He lost a little over 40 lbs (seriously, I think that scale is broken).  He was actually in really good spirits.  He got a crown, though no idea what it was.  Some discussion over Carolyn and who knew what in the game.  Dan and Tyler realized that Carolyn spilled the beans to Mike, and said he assumed everyone knew what his advantage was.  Dan is very down on Mike over the auction and said he wouldn't vote for Mike if he was the only one left (I say they vote for that cute kitty napping outside the gates).  I like how there's Jenn saying one thing about Dan, and then Dan more or less verifying what she just said about him.

Is everyone sitting down for this one?  Dan said he was too much of a good guy in the game, and he should have been more of a jerk.  That's what he believes Mike is.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 6
(edited)

Did Hali refuse to give him a hug after she gave him his crown?  

She did!  I wonder what that was about.  

I like how everyone more or less talks about how Dan really doesn't get how this game is played and shouldn't be down on Mike for it.  I guess Dan will have one more way to be remembered, by giving an epic jury speech to make him look like even more of an ass.  Listening to that video, it makes me realize that Dan really didn't have any idea what was coming his way.  I doubt his SM is lighting up with comments about how disappointed people are that he's gone.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2
(edited)

I guess Hali isn't into fat dirty guys after 35 days. I was surprised that everyone gave Dan a friendly reception at Ponderosa. I guess that's why they are still close today. That said, I did think it was funny when he said he should have been more of a jerk instead of nice guy. Ummmmmm, Dan you were and you aren't.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 4

Hilarious Ponderosa.  Dan is the worst.  It's great of the others to be nice to him though.  It's just good Ponderosa practice to be nice to everyone.

I think it's wrong though to say that everyone liked Dan in the game; remember they all said they'd leave their kids with Rodney before they'd leave them with Dan, or something like that?  And Hali called him misogynistic before she was voted out.

• Love 5
(edited)

Hilarious Ponderosa.  Dan is the worst.  It's great of the others to be nice to him though.  It's just good Ponderosa practice to be nice to everyone.

I think it's wrong though to say that everyone liked Dan in the game; remember they all said they'd leave their kids with Rodney before they'd leave them with Dan, or something like that?  And Hali called him misogynistic before she was voted out.

It's been so hard to keep track of whose done and said what that's been offensive this season, I had forgotten all about those conversations.  It seemed like most of the issues arose with Dan after the show aired, because most of his comments were done in TH.  Yet, Tyler is still defending him, and Tyler, Sierra, and Mike all went to Maine to visit him.  That was before some of the worst came out of Dan, so I'm curious if they're all still friendly or not.  I know the focus is supposed to be on the newbie arriving at Ponderosa, but I love getting any footage of Joe, Jenn, and Hali especially.  I wish Hali was in the running for S31 over Carolyn and Shirin (or even one of the guys-did we really need Max?)  I hope in a future AS edition Hali is asked to return.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 1

Hmm, Tyler spilled a lot of beans to Dan in that video.  But what I'm wondering his, did Tyler let Dan know that Mike was absolutely right about Rodney's alliance of 4?  Although after Mike backstabbed Dan at the auction, it may not matter to him at all.

• Love 1

The best Ponderosa video I've ever seen.  (I haven't seen all of them.)  Gave me more insights into a contestant than any other.  Dan is off-the-charts delusional.  I wonder if watching the season on TV has in any way changed his outlook, or opened his eyes to what was really going on.  In his black-and-white world, he couldn't see even a silly millimeter below the surface while he was out there playing.  

• Love 6

So Dan said that he was happy no one in his alliance turned on him.  I'm curious, who did he consider his alliance?  Was Carolyn not part of his group, and did he consider her on the bottom.  Obviously she had to vote for someone, and couldn't vote Mike.  Unless that was supposed to be his way of gloating that Mike was wrong about everyone targeting him.  Which, of course they were going to tell Mike that.  I just want to know what made Dan such a threat, or if it was strictly his advantage they were worried about.  

I was alarmed to hear him called "the biggest threat after Mike", but I think it was just due to the advantage. Not only could it throw off everyone's game, but a flashy play in front of the jury might sway votes.

• Love 1
(edited)

I like how there's Jenn saying one thing about Dan, and then Dan more or less verifying what she just said about him.

That was my favorite part!  She makes great analogies:  here talking about Dan's attitude about Mike (paraphrase):  "I'm not going to vote for someone because they moved a chess piece a certain way"; earlier talking about Max/Shirin knowing every little detail of the game (paraphrase) "it would be like knowing the score and details of a midseason irrelevant basketball game".  I hope to see her back on the show someday.

Next favorite part, was the camera guy asking Dan what he learned about himself while on Survivor.  Dan:  "Nothing."  For once, Dan. Is. Right.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 12

There was so much solo Dan as opposed to Tyler's video which had Joe randomly licking Tyler. It makes me wonder if Dan hung around by himself a lot. I wouldn't exactly be surprised...

I also think that they might have cut some of the Shirin/Dan stuff because they seem to have decided to deal with the misogyny at the final and removed any discussion from his video. Or perhaps Hali, Joe, Jenn, and Tyler were able to convince Shirin to not mention it with Dan because it would be bad and Shirin listened.

The Jenn stuff does seem to indicate that Dan hung out with them but drove them crazy with his game talk. Jenn and Hali both had eye rolls in their initial discussion of Shirin but it seemed more like a loving "Shirin is being Shirin" thing. Jenn was not "Dan is being Dan" but more of a "Dan is stubborn and delusional" vibe.

• Love 5

Delusion thy name is Dan.

Most players seem to be nicer, better people when reverting back to their "normal" selves at Ponderosa, but not Dan. What you saw during gameplay is who he seems to be in real life. I feel for his wife.

• Love 3
(edited)

So many amazing Dan quotes.  I want to transcribe them, but doesn't seem like good practice to do that at work.  Anyway, my favorite was definitely the one mentioned above where the camera man asked him what he learned out there, and he said, "Nothing."  Followed by something along the lines of "I'm a really self-aware person" -- he already knew everything about himself so what more could he learn?

Now that I type that out, that's actually a really sad way to live life.

Hopefully he can learn something from the reaction to him.  At the very least, if he must insist that editing was unfavorable and only showed his worst parts, maybe he can learn that he could be perceived as condescending, misogynistic, occasionally cruel and most definitely not a hero.

I am glad that they weren't overtly bitter towards him.  I missed the part where Hali declined to hug him, though.

Edited by ellie2205
  • Love 1

I too really like Jenn's comments during these videos.  She's certainly more 'aware' of these people than they are of themselves.  I would love to see her back, wish it was her in the next season poll instead of Carolyn.

I think the Survivor casting crew was right about him for 28 seasons.

• Love 7

Jenn wanted to quit; she is not going to be asked and she would decline even if they did, unfortunately.  I would like to see her again, too, without the no collar label  that hurt all of them.  

• Love 1

I couldn't get past the first part when he said something like he wanted to show that a "hero" could win this game. Puh-lease!!! 

Dan is the most delusional ever...but in a show where Rupert is considered the ultimate hero it's not surprising that Dan would see himself similarly.

• Love 3

Dan is the most delusional ever...but in a show where Rupert is considered the ultimate hero it's not surprising that Dan would see himself similarly.

I saw a lot of Rupert in Dan and I'm sure Rupert was his model for becoming the next popular Survivor hero. Rupert was only slightly condescending towards the women so Dan cranked that up a few notches. Rupert acted like Survivor was an epic quest and that's how Dan saw himself on Survivor. Both gave overly dramatic interviews but Rupert knew what to say (usually not much) while Dan jabbered on just to hear his own voice.  

Both had no clue on how to win Survivor.

• Love 3

I loved Joe's deadpan eyeroll-type look directly into the camera while Dan and Tyler were talking about strategy.

Ha, I loved that too. They are totally harshing his mellow at Ponderosa. 

I found it incredible that Dan lost 40-something pounds and it's not even noticeable on him. The CBS site popped the very first episode up after I watched an extra video and looking at them on Day 1, I don't see a difference in Dan. Mike, OTOH, has lost a TON of weight. Rodney is noticeably thinner as well..for obvious reasons, ha! 

• Love 2

It would be hard to portray Dan as any more delusional or pathetic. It's as if the Survivor production crew had the day off and people from The Onion came to fill in!  It's that surreal and preposterous.  Painful.

Surely he knows now, right?  Watching this at home with all those die-hard feminists he hangs out with? 

Dan thought this was going to be like some Arthurian Hero Quest playing out, with him as the one true moral hero.  But instead it's more like a loss of innocence fable, where Rodney realizes his mama isn't going to breastfeed him anymore,and Dan's fondest dream of being on Survivor and having the whole world marvel at his fabulousness has instead made him a reviled laughingstock throughout "Merica.

• Love 13