Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

There's an ad for Trivago that I just can't stand. Two women are checking out of a hotel. One woman's rate is $129. The other's is $99 because she booked through Trivago. My beef with this is that the desk clerk actually says the rate out loud. I worked at a hotel for 13 years and we knew better than to announce the rate of a room. We were just supposed to circle it and show it to the guest. Also, the lower rate could be for a less fancy room.

I hate that ad too.

3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

There's an ad for Trivago that I just can't stand. Two women are checking out of a hotel. One woman's rate is $129. The other's is $99 because she booked through Trivago. My beef with this is that the desk clerk actually says the rate out loud. I worked at a hotel for 13 years and we knew better than to announce the rate of a room. We were just supposed to circle it and show it to the guest. Also, the lower rate could be for a less fancy room.

Third party booking sites are trash anyway.

• Fire 1
  • Love 5
On 7/10/2022 at 8:11 AM, ctlady said:

Saw the Fabletics For Men commercial. The shorts look so soft and comfortable that his wife sneaks and wears them. Which begs me to ask: why do women’s workout wear have to be skin tight, ultra high waist, butt and crotch crack enhancing leggings while men’s are these butter soft, roomy breathable shorts? How about making and marketing workout shorts like this for women who want to avoid a yeast infection?

Women's athletic clothes are sport-specific when designed.  Designers think we all do yoga/pilates/aerobics so they design leggings and tops that are skin-tight while also move with you.  It's about keeping you covered while you move.  Baggy workout clothes are going to ride up or bunch up and can potentially cause chafing.  For me, drawstring bottoms + movement=pants falling down.  The same thing does not happen with high-waisted leggings.  Sometimes an hourglass figure is a curse.

• Useful 2
(edited)

This post is not about a specific commercial but about subliminal messaging during commercials.  I record shows on my DVR because I like being able to watch them whenever I want and to FF through the commercials.  Twice this week while FFing through commercials on shows I recorded I noticed something odd during the commercials. About half way through what seemed like an endless number of commercials there was a shot of the TV show I was watching - no text just what seemed like a scene from the show.  Once it was of two detectives on Law & Order and the other time it was the town hall building featured on In The Heat of the Night.  Both times I thought the commercials had ended and the show was back on but it wasn't.  I think they did that on purpose so people like me who are FFing through commercials stop FFing and get to see another commercial or two.  I can't think of another reason for doing that.  If any of you are advertising/marketing professionals, please explain it.

ETA:  I'm not sure subliminal messaging is the right term to use here since it wasn't selling anything except "stop FFing."  LOL

Edited by AnnA
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, AnnA said:

This post is not about a specific commercial but about subliminal messaging during commercials.  I record shows on my DVR because I like being able to watch them whenever I want and to FF through the commercials.  Twice this week while FFing through commercials on shows I recorded I noticed something odd during the commercials. About half way through what seemed like an endless number of commercials there was a shot of the TV show I was watching - no text just what seemed like a scene from the show.  Once it was of two detectives on Law & Order and the other time it was the town hall building featured on In The Heat of the Night.  Both times I thought the commercials had ended and the show was back on but it wasn't.  I think they did that on purpose so people like me who are FFing through commercials stop FFing and get to see another commercial or two.  I can't think of another reason for doing that.  If any of you are advertising/marketing professionals, please explain it.

ETA:  I'm not sure subliminal messaging is the right term to use here since it wasn't selling anything except "stop FFing."  LOL

BBC America does this all the time! I kept doing the same thing when I was watching my recordings of Doctor Who. It's really annoying.

• Love 1

I know, I haven't been around here in forever. I'm fine, just been doing other things. But it used to be when I skip the site for a while and click on a thread, I was taken to where I had left off the last time. Now, when I click on a thread, it's taking me back to 2019. Sorry, but I am not rereading 100 pages of text, so I'm just skipping through to the newest page and so I'll probably miss a lot of discussions.

I did enjoy the discussions about children misbehaving in stores. I worked in a fabric store for a couple of years and kids are bored stiff in fabric stores. One day, I spotted a young man doing log rolling on top of drapery and upholstery tubes. Those fabrics come on about 4'-5' tubes and can be some of the most expensive in the store. One of my co-workers and I spotted him at about the same time and headed in that direction, but my co-worker was calling, "little boy, little boy...in her Long Island voice, we live in Oklahoma and you just don't hear that accent here. About the time we got there, his mom heard and saw and came running, she made him get down, but I have doubts if there hadn't been a commotion that she would have paid a bit of attention until the little darling fell off the tubes.

• Mind Blown 2
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I know, I haven't been around here in forever. I'm fine, just been doing other things. But it used to be when I skip the site for a while and click on a thread, I was taken to where I had left off the last time. Now, when I click on a thread, it's taking me back to 2019. Sorry, but I am not rereading 100 pages of text, so I'm just skipping through to the newest page and so I'll probably miss a lot of discussions.

I did enjoy the discussions about children misbehaving in stores. I worked in a fabric store for a couple of years and kids are bored stiff in fabric stores. One day, I spotted a young man doing log rolling on top of drapery and upholstery tubes. Those fabrics come on about 4'-5' tubes and can be some of the most expensive in the store. One of my co-workers and I spotted him at about the same time and headed in that direction, but my co-worker was calling, "little boy, little boy...in her Long Island voice, we live in Oklahoma and you just don't hear that accent here. About the time we got there, his mom heard and saw and came running, she made him get down, but I have doubts if there hadn't been a commotion that she would have paid a bit of attention until the little darling fell off the tubes.

Hey you, don't you have a birthday coming up?

• Love 1

I give Joe Namath a pass for the Medicare commercials, because he legitimately has a ton of health issues, and he doesn't say "Moneeeeee!".    However, I never liked JJ Walker, and hates that he popularized the entitled, teen who told his parents what to do.   That's why the actor who played his father quit the show, in spite of the great salary.  

• Applause 2
  • Love 3

Me too -- Halloween beats all of the other holidays put together!

Me too! We're going to start decorating the house in a couple weeks. I was watching Friends the other night and they had one I'd never seen before. Phoebe made these paintings and everybody hated them. I loved them. What do you think?

image.png.b0a56cdb552566e803b12fa43f2a3474.png

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Hugs 1

They were horrid, haha! However, I cannot at all promise that I would not take one home if I found it in a thrift store. In fact, if I still had my "ugly art gallery"* in the common "everybody" hallway of my condo, I'd likely put it there.

*Fellow condo people liked it; building management did not.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2
8 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

They were horrid, haha! However, I cannot at all promise that I would not take one home if I found it in a thrift store. In fact, if I still had my "ugly art gallery"* in the common "everybody" hallway of my condo, I'd likely put it there.

*Fellow condo people liked it; building management did not.

Yeah, at first, I was like ugh those are horrible but the longer I looked at them, the more they endeared themselves to me. I think nowadays, with all the hoopla online about Halloween, if you owned those, you could auction them off for a mint.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Me too! We're going to start decorating the house in a couple weeks. I was watching Friends the other night and they had one I'd never seen before. Phoebe made these paintings and everybody hated them. I loved them. What do you think?

image.png.b0a56cdb552566e803b12fa43f2a3474.png

Ohhh I have definitely found my people!  I am planning to start my Fall/Halloween decor and horror movie extravaganza before the end of the month also!  I am also a huge Friends fan, so I immediately saw your pic and said “Gladys!” 😃 yes I’m a dork.  I would totally hang those for Halloween.  My Halloween decor scheme is “pretty meets scary”. Think black lace and blood!  I think Gladys and Glynis would fit the bill!

Edited by Miss Bones
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

STOP THAT!  It's still summer.  No talk about fall or Halloween!  (And take those pumpkin spice Oreos off the shelf!)

Hee!  Sorry, I will never stop that!  And I actually don't do pumpkin spice.  Maybe a candle, but I am not a fan of the pumpkin-spice-flavored everything. GIF by Zack Kantor

Edited by Miss Bones
  • Like 1

I still have my spring/summer painting on the door of my apartment. But come October I'll be swapping in my gigantic werewolf painting from college, and if I have the energy after getting back from a family wedding I may carve a jack-o'-lantern to put on a pedestal beside it.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Hee!  Sorry, I will never stop that!  And I actually don't do pumpkin spice.  Maybe a candle, but I am not a fan of the pumpkin-spice-flavored everything. GIF by Zack Kantor

I had an artist copy one of our wedding pictures so the we look like a vampire and his victim. She did a fantastic job and it hangs in our library area all year round.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
17 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I had an artist copy one of our wedding pictures so the we look like a vampire and his victim. She did a fantastic job and it hangs in our library area all year round.

That's so cool!  What a fantastic idea.  I would be into something like that where we look like skeletons.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

I still have my spring/summer painting on the door of my apartment. But come October I'll be swapping in my gigantic werewolf painting from college, and if I have the energy after getting back from a family wedding I may carve a jack-o'-lantern to put on a pedestal beside it.

I actually don't decorate for any holiday (including Christmas. ) I "decorate " (and I use the term loosely) for the seasons: baseball,  football,  and hockey.  

• Like 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1
On 8/3/2022 at 10:03 PM, Miss Bones said:

Ohhh I have definitely found my people!  I am planning to start my Fall/Halloween decor and horror movie extravaganza before the end of the month also!  I am also a huge Friends fan, so I immediately saw your pic and said “Gladys!” 😃 yes I’m a dork.  I would totally hang those for Halloween.  My Halloween decor scheme is “pretty meets scary”. Think black lace and blood!  I think Gladys and Glynis would fit the bill!

Much of my all-year decor (and even some clothing; every so often, there is some gothy-looking thing that is not made like novelty crap!) was purchased from Halloween stores on November 1 or 2.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1
13 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Much of my all-year decor (and even some clothing; every so often, there is some gothy-looking thing that is not made like novelty crap!) was purchased from Halloween stores on November 1 or 2.

That sure is the best time for deals!  I was so happy when--a few years ago--I scored these beautiful black ceramic pumpkins, that have a gold stem and a gold snake wrapped around them, for 75% off right after Halloween.  It was especially rewarding because I had kept going back to Christmas Tree Shop during the season, and really wanted them but could not justify paying what they wanted for them.  I was so glad that I waited!

• Like 2
27 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Thoughts on purple or green being Halloween colors. I say nay, what say you?

Purple works for me. And I guess green in some instances, though I am partial to a muted olive/avocado kind of green. That said, the stuff I keep as "normal" decor is mostly black and gray and not generally very colorful (though maybe some purple here and there).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Like 3
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Thoughts on purple or green being Halloween colors. I say nay, what say you?

I have a lot of purple Halloween decor.  I have orange and purple fairy lights that I decorate my plants with for the season.  I have some things that have some bright green accents on them, but I'm not big on the green for Halloween.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe green makes sense in a more marginal, "sci-fi" kind of way, making it merely Halloween-adjacent but not Halloween-headliner?

Yeah, I'm pretty much a purist and more of a fantasy fan than liking sci fi in any way.

On 8/4/2022 at 6:56 AM, Haleth said:

STOP THAT!  It's still summer.  No talk about fall or Halloween!  (And take those pumpkin spice Oreos off the shelf!)

I saw Pumpkin Spice Cheerios at my supermarket last week…

Edited by smittykins
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Sad 1
On 8/6/2022 at 5:45 PM, smittykins said:

I saw Pumpkin Spice Cheerios at my supermarket last week…

Nope nope nope nope.  The only thing  (other than pumpkin pie) I want pumpkin pie spice in is my (homemade) pumpkin pie protein smoothie--- made with pumpkin.  Starting in mid-October. 

• Like 2
  • Applause 3
On 8/4/2022 at 6:56 AM, Haleth said:

IMO it's simply the fact that this summer has been SO ridiculously hot in places where it typically isn't, for unending weeks. I usually enjoy summer but this year even I am looking forward to wearing a hoodie.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3

We've been relatively fortunate in my area this summer - we've had some warm/hot days, yes, where it's gotten up into the low to mid 90s for highs, but we've been lucky to avoid hitting 100 or over (at least with the actual temperature. There have been a couple times where the heat index went over that mark, though).

Even so, I've talked before about how I'm a total fall/winter girl, always have been, so yeah, bring on the cooler seasons, I say :). 

• Like 2
  • Applause 1
  • Love 1

The only thing I'm looking forward to with fall coming is that we'll be able to get out of the tiny apartment where we are currently living and move into our new house.  Woo hoo!  Oh, and my son is getting married.  Oh, and football.  Guess that's 3 things. 😄

• Like 3
  • Applause 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

That's ridiculous, I mean who in the hell eats Kraft PB ?

Probably the same people who eat Kraft mayonnaise.  I just scolded my hub for coming home with Kraft mayo the other day.  Bring out the Hellman's and bring out the best, indeed!  It turned out to not be that bad, but he and I have had the discussion before that I don't want to see any mayo besides Hellman's in my fridge, so it was just the principle of the matter!  😄

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Probably the same people who eat Kraft mayonnaise.  I just scolded my hub for coming home with Kraft mayo the other day.  Bring out the Hellman's and bring out the best, indeed!  It turned out to not be that bad, but he and I have had the discussion before that I don't want to see any mayo besides Hellman's in my fridge, so it was just the principle of the matter!  😄

That's only because you've never tried Duke's.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

That's only because you've never tried Duke's.

They don't sell Dukes here in Montana. I'm willing to try it if I can find it for comparison's sake. Will look on Amazon and see if they have a small size to try.

I think we all have our favorite tastes in things, Best Foods has always been my favorite but I am open to giving Dukes a try...I found it on Amazon.

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 1