Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Same!  I am an East Coaster and I also put ranch on pretty much anything.  I will also dip fries in just mayo 🤷‍♀️  Yum, now I want fries!

I despise fried potatoes in any form, but if forced to eat them, I dip them in German mustard (or some reasonable facsimile thereof). 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I dated a British guy once. While making a sandwich for him, I asked, "Do you want mustard and mayonnaise on it?" He looked at me like I had grown a second head.

Don’t Brits eat mayo on french fries?

18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My husband remembers mayo on french fries.

There you go!  (Yes, I realize you were talking about Scotland.)

I don’t like ketchup so I put mayo on my burgers, with lettuce and tomato. But sandwiches?  I’m usually too busy/impatient at lunch to bother with condiments. Too much bother. Funny, I was only introduced to the pleasure of fries dipped in ranch last weekend. Better than ketchup. 

• Love 1
1 minute ago, mmecorday said:

When I made a ham sandwich for him, he asked for only butter on the bread.

My wife doesn't even ask anymore, butter all the way. I just use normal US butter for sandwiches but a baked potato calls for some Kerrygold butter as a special treat, none of your sour cream etc.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Not in any British household I've ever been in or anyone I've ever had food with.

Must be the same kind of stereotype as Americans dousing everything with ranch.

Oh, wait.  🤣

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, Haleth said:

Must be the same kind of stereotype as Americans dousing everything with ranch.

Oh, wait.  🤣

On that note I now have my grandson eating his french toast with ketchup only. He even refused to eat it with anything else on it, I'm sure his mother hates me now.

• Mind Blown 2
  • LOL 2

I noticed a jar of Reese's peanut butter in the pantry. I must have picked it up during the great peanut butter recall, and that was one that was stocked. I hardly ever eat peanut butter, but my husband likes a PB&J on occasion. I should have remembered this, but Reese's is owned by Hershey.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, janie jones said:

What sort of dressing do they put on sandwiches there?

I went through a period of time where I was putting egg whites in my hair, to do whatever good egg whites are supposed to do to your hair. My mom's friend told me that she put mayo in her hair because it's so much easier to spread than egg whites. She recommended that I put it in the microwave for a couple seconds so it's not so cold on my scalp. Well I the first time I tried that, I put the mayo in the microwave for too long. The smell was the most repulsive thing I'd smelled before or since. It was quite a while before I could eat mayonnaise again.

That could be a sequel to the "Seinfeld" episode where Kramer uses butter as suntan lotion.  Elaine uses Mayo in her hair and looks like a chicken salad sandwich to Newman.

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

Don’t Brits eat mayo on french fries?

There you go!  (Yes, I realize you were talking about Scotland.)

I don’t like ketchup so I put mayo on my burgers, with lettuce and tomato. But sandwiches?  I’m usually too busy/impatient at lunch to bother with condiments. Too much bother. Funny, I was only introduced to the pleasure of fries dipped in ranch last weekend. Better than ketchup. 

I hate ketchup (yes, I realize that’s heresy.) Sandwiches get mustard  --- GOOD  mustard,  none of that horrible yellow stuff. Mayo is only used on tomato sammies, between  July and early  September when  tomatoes are fit to eat. 

• Love 2

My mom used only butter on her sandwiches, all of which were open-faced. She disliked too much bread. The rest of us were free to use whatever condiment we wanted. The fluorescent yellow mustard is good only on fried baloney sandwiches. The rest of the time, it's either Gulden's brown, or Dijon-style. I knew a guy who ate his fries with mustard. And the tomatoes fit to eat? Unavailable at the grocery store. Find a roadside stand. And I absolutely HATE mustard in plastic squeeze bottles. Please give me a jar where I can stir it first.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

And the tomatoes fit to eat? Unavailable at the grocery store. Find a roadside stand

I signed up for a CSA box this year from the Chesapeake Bay Foundation's Clagett Farm. For the last 3 weeks, I've been getting heirloom tomatoes that taste nothing like I've ever had before, they are so delicious. I've been eating the heirloom cherry tomatoes like candy. I've been having the large heirloom tomatoes with tuna salad for lunch. So good!

• Applause 2
  • Love 2

For french fries, I usually don't use ketchup.   Too many brands are full of high fructose corn syrup.    I use Crosse & Blackwell Zesty Shrimp Sauce, no HFCS and has a little horseradish in it, so it has a little extra flavor.  However, I can't stand their seafood sauce, it's no taste but super sweet.   And I like a little malt vinegar on french fries too.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

My mom used only butter on her sandwiches, all of which were open-faced. She disliked too much bread. The rest of us were free to use whatever condiment we wanted. The fluorescent yellow mustard is good only on fried baloney sandwiches. The rest of the time, it's either Gulden's brown, or Dijon-style. I knew a guy who ate his fries with mustard. And the tomatoes fit to eat? Unavailable at the grocery store. Find a roadside stand. And I absolutely HATE mustard in plastic squeeze bottles. Please give me a jar where I can stir it first.

No roadside stand. CSA.

Sandwiches get mustard  --- GOOD  mustard,

"And if you don't make your own mustard, store bought is fine." ~ Ina Garten, probably

I've been eating the heirloom cherry tomatoes like candy.

My grandfather had a prosperous vine of cherry tomatoes in his backyard and there are times I wish I could travel back in time to help myself to those tiny little bites of heaven on earth. I'd grow my own, but I didn't inherit my grandfather's green thumb. Just his dry sense of humor and his intolerance for bullshit.

• Like 1
  • Love 4

Yeah, the deer here would eat up anything I'd try to grow. Unless I had 10' fences put up and that just doesn't do it for me. Plus the growing season here in MT is so short I don't even know if tomatoes would ripen in time before the first freeze.

• Sad 2

I brought my cherry tomato plants with me when we moved into our temporary apartment earlier this month.  They have not been producing very well this year.  It's disappointing.

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 2
On 8/17/2022 at 10:26 PM, Gramto6 said:

Yeah, the deer here would eat up anything I'd try to grow. Unless I had 10' fences put up and that just doesn't do it for me.

Our original garden had 10' fences around it so the deer couldn't get in, along with a mesh top so that birds couldn't fly in.  But chipmunks can tunnel under those fences.  The little bastards took a bit out of every one of my strawberries.  One bite.  Every strawberry.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Hugs 1
  • Sad 6

I wrapped plastic mesh around my (above mentioned) cherry tomato plants and put some over the top to keep the squirrels out.  (Who knew squirrels eat tomatoes?)  They chewed right through it and laughed at me.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I wrapped plastic mesh around my (above mentioned) cherry tomato plants and put some over the top to keep the squirrels out.  (Who knew squirrels eat tomatoes?)  They chewed right through it and laughed at me.

Squirrels are nature's smart asses, They love to taunt my cats because they know the cats can't get at them.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • LOL 2

This year, I put habaneros and jalapenos in pots, since I've never had anything try to eat those before.  Except this year.  Hello to the the tobacco worm.  Like a tomato worm, but a little differently colored.  It ate every one of my habaneros.  I hope it's poop burned.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • LOL 6
On 8/20/2022 at 9:43 AM, peacheslatour said:

Squirrels are nature's smart asses, They love to taunt my cats because they know the cats can't get at them.

No matter what you do to keep them from your bird feeder they figure it out.

Shark Tank had a pitch from two men who invented a bird feeder defender device that had an electric shock device, triggered by a remote.   I don't think it got a deal, but you could dial the shock higher, and watching the Sharks zap each other was hysterical. 

21 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Shark Tank had a pitch from two men who invented a bird feeder defender device that had an electric shock device, triggered by a remote.   I don't think it got a deal, but you could dial the shock higher, and watching the Sharks zap each other was hysterical. 

Oh my! That is cruel! I would rather let the squirrels eat the bird seed ... I wouldn't want to hurt them!

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

Oh my! That is cruel! I would rather let the squirrels eat the bird seed ... I wouldn't want to hurt them!

I wouldn't use it on squirrels either, but it was funny watching Kevin and the other Sharks zap each other. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
18 hours ago, chessiegal said:

We have a squirrel-proof bird feeder that actually works. Doesn't keep the squirrels from trying, but they can't get in.

Do you know what it's called or where you got it?  I have tried several kinds that close the openings with the weight of the squirrels on a cage, but they learned how to hang off the feeders without pulling down the cage.  They are just too smart.  (I also have a feeder with peanuts just for the squirrels, but then the raccoons get into that, so I have a pan of kibble for the raccoons...)

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

Do you know what it's called or where you got it?  I have tried several kinds that close the openings with the weight of the squirrels on a cage, but they learned how to hang off the feeders without pulling down the cage.  They are just too smart.  (I also have a feeder with peanuts just for the squirrels, but then the raccoons get into that, so I have a pan of kibble for the raccoons...)

Gah. I had to stop feeding the hummingbirds because the #@$%ing squirrels would hang on the feeder and drink all the sugar water. I tried EVERYTHING. 

• Mind Blown 1
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

Do you know what it's called or where you got it? 

My husband bought it, but he doesn't remember where (it was on-line) or what it was called. I can see the feeder from where I sit during the day. The only seeds the squirrels eat are what the birds knock out of the feeder onto the deck.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'd try looking at Duncraft. They sell mostly bird related things. Tons of different kinds of feeders.

2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Gah. I had to stop feeding the hummingbirds because the #@$%ing squirrels would hang on the feeder and drink all the sugar water. I tried EVERYTHING. 

A B&B I've stayed at has hummingbird feeders in several places, and also one of those spinning corn cob squirrel feeders that apparently keeps them sufficiently occupied to leave the hummingbird feeders alone.

• Useful 1

Someone brought up 'Nashville chicken' at Outback Steakhouses not being authentic Aussie food.

Well, guess what, until about 15 years ago, no one in Nashville considered it authentic Nashville food. Just a novelty  and a cold cure (and only found in a couple of  rather obscure spots ). If any tourist had asked what 'Nashville chicken' was back then, virtually all Nashvillians would have replied that this was regular US Southern fried chicken at most only lightly spiced found in meat and three and soul food establishments all over town!  If someone had wanted spicy chicken, they'd have asked for spicy chicken and used the name of the main spot where it was served to distinguished it from conventional fried chicken!

It's only been in the last decade that this spicy chicken has been called 'Nashville chicken' and mainly by NON-Nashvillians!

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, Blergh said:

Someone brought up 'Nashville chicken' at Outback Steakhouses not being authentic Aussie food.

Well, guess what, until about 15 years ago, no one in Nashville considered it authentic Nashville food. Just a novelty  and a cold cure (and only found in a couple of  rather obscure spots ). If any tourist had asked what 'Nashville chicken' was back then, virtually all Nashvillians would have replied that this was regular US Southern fried chicken at most only lightly spiced found in meat and three and soul food establishments all over town!  If someone had wanted spicy chicken, they'd have asked for spicy chicken and used the name of the main spot where it was served to distinguished it from conventional fried chicken!

It's only been in the last decade that this spicy chicken has been called 'Nashville chicken' and mainly by NON-Nashvillians!

Whatever it's called, when done right, it's good! (Unfortunately everyone's jumping on the bandwagon and a lot of it is pretty terrible.)

Hopefully this won't happen with Italian beef, after that "The Bear" show's popularity.

Edited by Tom Holmberg
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

I'm sick of summer. I opened my closet this morning and looked with longing at my comfy Halloween pajama pants.

We've already put our Addams Family house up. We had to put Lurch away though because we caught the cat trying to kill him.

• LOL 13
  • Love 1
21 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

We've already put our Addams Family house up. We had to put Lurch away though because we caught the cat trying to kill him.

And I can hear Lurch groaning/growling.

I noticed at the grocery store this morning they had pumpkins out.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Haleth said:

And I can hear Lurch groaning/growling.

I noticed at the grocery store this morning they had pumpkins out.

I'm kind of surprised the Christmas candy is not out yet....

• Fire 2

"  16 HOURS AGO, PREVAILING WIND SAID:

And the dad in his 70s that wondered about his childhood address for years!  You don't remember your childhood address???  I use mine sometimes as my password. LOL.  About a week ago, I looked at the house on Google Streets. Still looking good!

I had about 10 of them.  No, I do not remember any of them, except the last one"

Same, except I had about 12 --- all in the same city --- and remember about 4 of them. I actually remember the  first one from when I was a toddler.  Turns out it was a really small house (800 Sq ft) that we crammed 4 people into. 

• Love 2
On 8/17/2022 at 8:43 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

My wife doesn't even ask anymore, butter all the way. I just use normal US butter for sandwiches but a baked potato calls for some Kerrygold butter as a special treat, none of your sour cream etc.

Yes to the Kerrygold. I had thought butter was butter. Nope, that Kerrygold is so good on a baked potato.

• Useful 1
On 8/29/2022 at 11:14 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

In Re: discussion of pumpkin spice.  Starbucks puts it back on the menu as of Aug. 30th.

So much pumpkin spice things. There was a pumpkin ginger snap I liked (not from Starbucks).

I bought a pumpkin a couple years ago and made the roasted seeds and made pumpkin pie. A lot of work but worth it.

• Like 1
  • Love 2