Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

I thought it was good, but it didn't convince me it was actual beef. Since I have no objections to eating the latter, I'll leave Impossible meat to the vegetarians and just eat vegetables prepared the regular way.

Back in my mid 20s a local restaurant had a veggie burger that was even better than their (also really good) hamburgers, though it clearly did not involve meat. I heard through the grapevine that they used Morningstar Farms patties, but they must have done something fairly significant in their kitchen to improve them over the supermarket variety.

• Useful 2
4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Oh my. You live in one of this country's most beautiful places. Color me envious.  

Yes, it is gorgeous here, but the temps can get brutal in the Winter. It was -1° when I got up at about 8:30AM this morning. It is 20° outside right now, may go up a few degrees in a bit but overnight is predicted at 5°. Not for wussies... LOL

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 1

I prefer to eat real everything and don't even entertain eating "Krab" which is fake crab.  Getting on the plant-based bandwagon isn't for me as many of those concoctions contain large amounts of soy, and I try to limit soy consumption for health reasons.

Kerrygold butter is the best, from grass-fed cows in Ireland.  I stopped buying any of the margarines after a new tub of I Can't Believe It's Not Butter went moldy in my very cold refrigerator.  I went online and read some theory about the manufacturer making the plastic containers too thin to save money.  That turned me straight off margarine although I know you can buy it in stick form too.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Yes, it is gorgeous here, but the temps can get brutal in the Winter. It was -1° when I got up at about 8:30AM this morning. It is 20° outside right now, may go up a few degrees in a bit but overnight is predicted at 5°. Not for wussies... LOL

I actually wouldn't mind the temperature.  To my mind, you can always put on more clothes,  but when it's hot (which to me is anything over 72°) you cannot take off enough to get cool. 

Unfortunately I am married to a desert rat. It took me 8 years to break him of putting on a winter coat when it got down to 55. 

• Love 2

Peter Michael Davidson was born in New York City's Staten Island borough on November 16, 1993, the son of Amy (née Waters) and Scott Matthew Davidson  His father was a New York firefighter for Ladder 118 who died in service during the September 11, 2001 attacks, along with the rest of his unit  He was last seen running up the stairs of the Marriott World Trade Center just before the building was destroyed when the Twin Towers collapsed. His Requiem Mass was held at St. Clare's Catholic Church in Great Kills, Staten Island. Davidson, then aged seven, was profoundly affected by the loss. He told The New York Times that it was "overwhelming" and that he later acted out in school as a result of the trauma, at one point ripping his hair out until he was bald.

Thank you for sharing this, @peacheslatour. Pete kind of looks like he'd be a dirt bag, but by most accounts, he's actually a nice guy.

• Applause 1
  • Love 3
30 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Thank you for sharing this, @peacheslatour. Pete kind of looks like he'd be a dirt bag, but by most accounts, he's actually a nice guy.

People always wonder how he gets all these beautiful women to go out with him and make insinuations about his body parts. I wonder if it ever occurs to them that he's a genuinely nice guy, with a great sense of humor and a self deprecating attitude about life.

• Applause 3
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I’ve never really hated Pete, more ambivalent really. But I have to say my opinion of him went up whenever his mom appeared on SNL. Especially during the covid “from home” shows. Seems like quarantining at home with mom was good for him. 

• Love 5
On 12/5/2022 at 1:00 PM, peacheslatour said:

People always wonder how he gets all these beautiful women to go out with him and make insinuations about his body parts. I wonder if it ever occurs to them that he's a genuinely nice guy, with a great sense of humor and a self deprecating attitude about life.

Pete Davidson reminds me so much of a college classmate of mine.    He was a short skinny guy who looked so unassuming, but was very nice.    I saw him staggering out of the big women's dorm so often in the mornings.     Apparently a lot of women want a nice, polite guy, and liked him. 

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 3
On 12/5/2022 at 3:46 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I’ve never really hate Pete, more ambivalent really. But I have to say my opinion of him went up whenever his mom appeared on SNL. Especially during the covid “from home” shows. Seems like quarantining at home with mom was good for him. 

He purchased a house with his Mom a couple years after joining SNL. He remodeled the basement so it could act as a bachelor pad which meant he could live separately from his Mom who occupied the rest of the home. I think he moved into his own place after his relationship Ariana.

Apparently he still went upstairs for dinner when called by his Mom though. I love the fact that one of the reasons he gave in this video for moving into the basement that he called "The Cave" was so he could stay away from people....😸

I'm guessing he meant people not in his friend circle.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 2
On 12/5/2022 at 12:27 PM, mmecorday said:

He has Crohn's Disease which may contribute to that look. His eyes seemed to be a popular subject for Barstool Sports for awhile too. I remember someone making them a big deal back then but didn't realize who it was until looking it up just now.

Why are Pete Davidson’s eyes black?

He mentions the eye thing in this video where it's set to start.

• Love 1

I've heard the name, but only recently actually seen Pete Davidson in anything -- two commercials and a film (Bodies, Bodies, Bodies) -- and found him thoroughly unappealing in each.  Not at Chris Elliot level of a visceral reaction of disgust without knowing anything about the person, but still quite off-putting for reasons not thoroughly defined.  So it's good to get some information on him. 

• Like 1

Regarding perfumes, it's been years since I've worn any because my nose is so sensitive to others wearing it, I figured my scent might be annoying to other people.  I remember years ago when perfumes/colognes were very popular at work.  I remember Ralph Lauren's Safari fragrance as being really popular with women.  There was something about the smell that made me physically ill, but I tried to hide it at work because I didn't want the wearer to feel bad.  I'd just go to the bathroom and puke.  LOL  So yeah, I just stay clean.  😅

• Sad 1
28 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I've never heard of bystanders having major problems with the scent of ivory soap and Old Spice deodorant, so those are my go-tos in the workplace.

Well, I might have a quibble about the Old Spice.  Always reminded me of my first job, where the guys would go play basketball at lunch and afterwards, splash on the aftershave in lieu of showering...

• Like 1
  • Mind Blown 2
8 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Well, I might have a quibble about the Old Spice.  Always reminded me of my first job, where the guys would go play basketball at lunch and afterwards, splash on the aftershave in lieu of showering...

OMG, this reminds me of a roommate I had once. She would just throw all of her clothes in a pile on the floor in her room. When she wanted to wear something, she would pick it off of the pile, douse it in Right Guard and then iron it. Ye gods, the smell of baked Right Guard.

• Mind Blown 8
  • LOL 2

Ugh! I don't know what cologne my high school boyfriend wore but it was awful! He gave me his letterman's jacket to wear and I just couldn't because it was soaked in that gross cologne. And this was in the mid-1980s, long before the advent of Axe Body Spray. 

He was a good kisser, though. I dumped him because he kept calling me while I was trying to watch "Miami Vice" on Friday nights. That and the whole stinky cologne thing. I was also in love with his best friend. Ah, youth. 

• Applause 2
  • LOL 6

After my Nana who we lived with died when I was young I became more sensitive to wearable scents. I always figured it may have been due to not being around cigarette smoke anymore so things may have gone back to normal if that makes sense.

I mention all of that to say that around that time I had to ask my Mom to stop wearing Estee Lauder's Youth Dew. It started making me feel sick and would give me a headache if I was around the smell too long. My Mom took my request really well though which was a relief.

This is what the bottle looked and still looks like.

image.png.c9e4e62019a5f009f746cdd37d161de2.png

• Applause 1
  • Love 3

My SIL wanted Youth Dew drawer liner paper for her bridal shower.  I got it for her, after threatening to get her a box of rags. You know, newlyweds have all nice, new stuff - nothing ratty enough to use as a rag. After I got the stink eye from her, I went out to get the drawer liners.  I always wondered how my brother coped with Youth Dew-scented socks & undies.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
17 hours ago, Crashcourse said:

Regarding perfumes, it's been years since I've worn any because my nose is so sensitive to others wearing it, I figured my scent might be annoying to other people.  I remember years ago when perfumes/colognes were very popular at work.  I remember Ralph Lauren's Safari fragrance as being really popular with women.  There was something about the smell that made me physically ill, but I tried to hide it at work because I didn't want the wearer to feel bad.  I'd just go to the bathroom and puke.  LOL  So yeah, I just stay clean.  😅

Back in the 80s Calvin Klein's "Obsession" was all the rage. It made my asthma flare. 

• Hugs 3
  • Sad 1

I don't know what the scent was (and I don't care) but I recall stepping on an elevator to go to work one day and winding up rather choked up and nauseous from the stench- and it had been an EMPTY elevator so I'm guessing that the wearer swam and/or marinated their wardrobe in it before stepping on that elevator! I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would think wearing that much would have been apt for either working or visiting a patient in a hospital complex.

• Love 1
23 minutes ago, Blergh said:

and it had been an EMPTY elevator so I'm guessing that the wearer swam and/or marinated their wardrobe in it before stepping on that elevator! I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would think wearing that much would have been apt for either working or visiting a patient in a hospital complex.

I don't know why someone would think wearing that much is appropriate for any situation.  I wear perfume for me; for someone else to smell it, they need to be pretty close, and even then they'll lean closer and sniff "Mm, is that you?" to identify the faint whiff they got.  With how sensitive some are to scents, it's just rude to go around emanating perfume/cologne, let alone leaving behind a wake of it after you're gone!  And imagine the cumulative effect if even just 10% of people in a given environment did that.

• Applause 1
  • Love 2
16 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Ugh! I don't know what cologne my high school boyfriend wore but it was awful! He gave me his letterman's jacket to wear and I just couldn't because it was soaked in that gross cologne. And this was in the mid-1980s, long before the advent of Axe Body Spray. 

He was a good kisser, though. I dumped him because he kept calling me while I was trying to watch "Miami Vice" on Friday nights. That and the whole stinky cologne thing. I was also in love with his best friend. Ah, youth. 

It was probably Drakkar Noir, the what I like to think Is the predecessor to Axe.

It smelled awful, my brother used to wear it and if he put enough on you could smell him before he entered the room. 

• LOL 3
16 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't know why someone would think wearing that much is appropriate for any situation.  I wear perfume for me; for someone else to smell it, they need to be pretty close, and even then they'll lean closer and sniff "Mm, is that you?" to identify the faint whiff they got.  With how sensitive some are to scents, it's just rude to go around emanating perfume/cologne, let alone leaving behind a wake of it after you're gone!  And imagine the cumulative effect if even just 10% of people in a given environment did that.

I learned a trick in my 20s that helps keep the scent subtle.  I spray the cologne into the air about 6 inches above my head and a foot in front of me,  then walk through it as it falls. Very little lands on my body. 

Perfume is actually easier to control: a small dab on each wrist and a small dab in the hollow of your throat is all you need. 

And speaking of scents --- my favorite is an OLD scent that's been around forever. It's difficult to get now, so I usually keep a couple of bottles,  enough to last a year ot two. Most of the time my "scent" is "Eau de Swimming Pool."😉😉😄

• Like 1
7 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

It was probably Drakkar Noir, the what I like to think Is the predecessor to Axe.

It smelled awful, my brother used to wear it and if he put enough on you could smell him before he entered the room. 

Anybody else on here besides me and @Gramto6 old enough to remember  men's cologne  "British Sterling?" Talk about hurl-inducing....

• Like 6
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Anybody else on here besides me and @Gramto6 old enough to remember  men's cologne  "British Sterling?" Talk about hurl-inducing....

I remember it, with a babe on a horse, presenting it on a silver platter to a guy standing next to the horse.

11 hours ago, Bastet said:

One day, at a class given by my job, I sat next to my boss at a normal distance. She turned to me and said, "You smell good."  ...and I wasn't wearing any scent. It was just my shampoo and the Dove Men+ Care soap that I use.  Yeah, it says "Men" on it, but like Irish Spring, "Manly, yes, but I like it too!"  I think it's got a great, clean smell (the green bar, not the orange one.)

The class was being held about a block from home, so I was *really* fresh out of the shower. LOL.  My hair was still damp.

• Love 2
On 12/14/2022 at 3:22 PM, Colleenna said:

I learned a trick in my 20s that helps keep the scent subtle.  I spray the cologne into the air about 6 inches above my head and a foot in front of me,  then walk through it as it falls. Very little lands on my body. 

Yup, that's what I do too on the rare occasions I wear perfume.

On 12/14/2022 at 10:41 PM, Colleenna said:

How about Hai Karate?

• Like 4

Carried this over from Commercial talk:

My insurance co will cover the Cologuard test OR a colonoscopy, but if you use the first one and then need the second, they won't pay for the full cost of the colonoscopy.  Yeah, that doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense, but no one said insurance company decisions made sense.

• Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 1
33 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Carried this over from Commercial talk:

My insurance co will cover the Cologuard test OR a colonoscopy, but if you use the first one and then need the second, they won't pay for the full cost of the colonoscopy.  Yeah, that doesn't necessarily make a lot of sense, but no one said insurance company decisions made sense.

Yeah,  I'm about to experience this. Did the Cologard, got a positive result.  Now I have to see a gi doctor,  who will probably schedule me for a colonoscopy.  Just FYI: Cologard has a 13% false positive rate. Wish I'd known that. I would have just bitten the bullet and got the damned colonoscopy,  which I now have to do ANYWAY.  

• Like 2
  • Useful 2
5 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Yeah,  I'm about to experience this. Did the Cologard, got a positive result.  Now I have to see a gi doctor,  who will probably schedule me for a colonoscopy.  Just FYI: Cologard has a 13% false positive rate. Wish I'd known that. I would have just bitten the bullet and got the damned colonoscopy,  which I now have to do ANYWAY.  

My doctor wouldn't even consider Cologard for me because my family history puts me at moderate risk, but I might've considered it otherwise.  Glad I didn't.  The prep was really not fun but I was under for the actual procedure, it was clear and I don't have to do it again for 10 years.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

My doctor wouldn't even consider Cologard for me because my family history puts me at moderate risk, but I might've considered it otherwise.  Glad I didn't.  The prep was really not fun but I was under for the actual procedure, it was clear and I don't have to do it again for 10 years.

No family history here, and no problems with previous colonoscopies, which is why I'm not totally freaking out. 

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

I looooove Drakkar.  Smells like high school, heh.

What I really came here for was to wish you all a very merry holidays from Mookie Wilson, who was DELIGHTED.  320761065_1365574624187034_5597940408598

"I swear to god mom, you do this to me every year! Just wait until you're asleep! I'm gonna poop in your favorite shoes!"

• Applause 1
  • LOL 6
On 12/7/2022 at 5:20 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Pete Davidson reminds me so much of a college classmate of mine.    He was a short skinny guy who looked so unassuming, but was very nice.    I saw him staggering out of the big women's dorm so often in the mornings. 

When I read this my first reaction was wow, this college is either very progressive or very discriminatory.

• LOL 11
4 minutes ago, Leeds said:

When I read this my first reaction was wow, this college is either very progressive or very discriminatory.

It wasn't just for big women.   

The dorm was the only highrise on campus, at least 10 stories, so we called it the 'big womens dorm', since it had small rooms, and a lot of occupants, and it was only for women residents.   

At that time the college only had one dorm with men that were living on campus too.   

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Like 1
On 12/17/2022 at 2:09 PM, mojoween said:

What I really came here for was to wish you all a very merry holidays from Mookie Wilson, who was DELIGHTED.  

It's not really the holiday season until we see your pissed off cat on Santa's lap! Happy Holidays, Mookie!

• Like 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

How can they possibly make any money doing that though? Is the $19.99 fr one specific chore like washing tha dishes or doing a load of laundry? I can't see how it would work if they came in and cleaned your whole house.

As per Homeaglow's website, the nineteen dollars is for three hours of cleaning, but it doesn't specify particular tasks. You can pay as little as nine dollars for two hours and as much as seventy nine dollars for six hours, so I guess that's for the whole house or really deep cleaning if that's what you need.

https://www.homeaglow.com/

• Useful 1
1 hour ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

I don't think something like Cologuard with the high false positive rate is  an adequate screening test.  I'm wondering about the false negative rate? 

Feel free to skip this post if you don't give a flip about the stats.

The sensitivity/specificity rates can be found here:  Cologard stats

I think this is compelling, as long as it's understood that a screening test is not a confirmatory diagnostic tool:  (Tlhis is why I don't get the insurance company's reasoning)

image.thumb.png.1a9efa81cd723513caa21c98fdb07e3a.png

• Useful 1

I've read about the same issue with some insurance companies.  A positive test leading to a colonoscopy made the Cologuard a diagnostic procedure, not a screening test, and the cost to the patient with that insurance company was staggering.  I don't think something like Cologuard with the high false positive rate is  an adequate screening test.  I'm wondering about the false negative rate? 

• Useful 1

"When I was but a child, eating Heinz on spaghetti..." Seriously? Did anybody eat spaghetti with ketchup on it outside of Honey Boo Boo?

In an episode of the British sitcom "Are You Being Served?", I recall the characters putting ketchup on spaghetti noodles. They called it sauce.

• LOL 3

My mother makes spaghetti sauce from ketchup and little bits of bacon and onion. It's not completely horrible, but going over to a friend's house when his mom made spaghetti with marinara sauce for dinner was a revelation!

• Like 2