Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

I don't think there are many things that we are loyal to. Each of us has our own favorites. Mine: Best Foods Mayo, Skippy Creamy PB, Kerrygold Butter and Quaker Oats instant Oatmeal. The rest I can go with whatever is available...

This is kind of fun, I'm  learning about new things to try!

I have ordered a couple times from Minimus.biz they sell sample sizes of things, it is a great way to try out something without getting a full size jar/box/bag. It is fun to try things out w/out investing a lot of $$ in the process

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
14 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Apparently, it's labelled as Kraft in Canada, Planter's in the US.  If you look for Kraft PB on Amazon, the labels are bi-lingual for the bi-lingual Canadians.

Oh, wow.  Planter's PB was only available here for a short time but it was awesome.  I thought it had been discontinued when it disappeared.  (And there has been a disappointing lack of chunky PB available ever since covid.)

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

I just scolded my hub for coming home with Kraft mayo the other day. 

You mean Kraft Miracle Whip?  It’s a favorite of Kim’s on Better Call Saul

I've honestly never noticed a difference between any type of mayo I've ever bought. Or at least never cared about it. And I do like mayo.  

I had no idea there were so many people so willing to figuratively fight over best mayo brands. 

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
  • LOL 2
49 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I've honestly never noticed a difference between any type of mayo I've ever bought. Or at least never cared about it. And I do like mayo.  

I had no idea there were so many people so willing to figuratively fight over best mayo brands. 

I hate it. My husband buys Best Foods because that's what he likes.

1 hour ago, Gharlane said:

Planters made peanut butter? We're talking about Mister Peanut, right?

Is English one of the languages on those bi-lingual Canadian labels? 😉

Yes, Mr. Peanut is owned by Kraft. Yes, English is more prominent, with French in slightly smaller text.

Kraft makes both Miracle Whip AND Mayo.  I like mayo (Duke's) for certain things, and MWhip for others.

On 8/12/2022 at 1:51 PM, Miss Bones said:

Probably the same people who eat Kraft mayonnaise.  I just scolded my hub for coming home with Kraft mayo the other day.  Bring out the Hellman's and bring out the best, indeed!  It turned out to not be that bad, but he and I have had the discussion before that I don't want to see any mayo besides Hellman's in my fridge, so it was just the principle of the matter!  😄

🤢🤮

• Wink 1
  • LOL 1
23 minutes ago, Colleenna said:

Smucker's organic creamy here. 

Haven't looked at that one. Might be worth a look.   As I said before, I am open to change. However it depends on if it is available here in the boonies so much is not...

Edited by Gramto6
typo
  • Love 1
On 8/13/2022 at 10:50 AM, peacheslatour said:

I hate it. My husband buys Best Foods because that's what he likes.

Love mayo, but can't tell the difference between brands, so I usually buy store brands. HATE Miracle Whip, though!!

• Like 2
20 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Love mayo, but can't tell the difference between brands, so I usually buy store brands. HATE Miracle Whip, though!!

Dislike mayo, but the same thing they all taste the same even Miracle Whip.

Edited by crazycatlady58
  • Like 1
  • Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Is Reese's Peanut butter still around?

Reese's had a peanut butter??? Wow first I have heard of it! Just checked and Creamy is available on Amazon...might have to look into that.

Edited by Gramto6
added on to post
  • Wink 1
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Is Reese's Peanut butter still around?

7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Reese's had a peanut butter??? Wow first I have heard of it! Just checked and Creamy is available on Amazon...might have to look into that.

It is also available at Publix and Walmart.

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

It is also available at Publix and Walmart.

No Publix in MT and I haven't been in a Walmart since the pandemic began . But I will try it from Amazon. It might be my new favorite!

• Love 2
On 8/12/2022 at 4:33 PM, Prevailing Wind said:

That's only because you've never tried Duke's.

Incorrect. I have tried Duke's once when they had it at ALDI.  I will stick to my Hellman's, thank you very much!  😉

On 8/13/2022 at 9:45 AM, ctlady said:

You mean Kraft Miracle Whip?  It’s a favorite of Kim’s on Better Call Saul

Don't get me started on Miracle Whip!  That is NOT mayonnaise, has never been mayonnaise, and will never be mayonnaise.  I don't trust people who think it belongs in the mayonnaise family.  

On 8/13/2022 at 10:00 AM, DrSpaceman73 said:

Enter me!  LOL  All in good fun, but I do love me some mayonnaise, and it's got to be the Hellman's baby!

• Like 2

Yes, but if you make your own pimento cheese, Duke's is a great taste, but makes the dressing look a little gray.      I think it's the amount of vinegar or something.   Duke's is something I really missed when I lived out west.  

I think it's what you grew up eating.   My parents only used Miracle Whip, never Mayo.   So to me MW is normal.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

Duke's mayonnaise is all I ever buy. It was hard to find for a while so whenever it goes on sale, I stock up. Most Southern cooks swear by it.

I've noticed it being used a lot in various  Food Network competition shows --- even by non-southern cooks. 

4 hours ago, Miss Bones said:

Don't get me started on Miracle Whip!  That is NOT mayonnaise, has never been mayonnaise, and will never be mayonnaise.  I don't trust people who think it belongs in the mayonnaise family.  

It is NOT mayo!  I had it once when I was little on turkey at a party and for most of my life I thought I didn’t like turkey.  It was the miracle whip that I didn’t like.  

• Thanks 1
  • LOL 2
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Pimento cheese is gross

I like pimento cheese but made with Best Foods/Hellman's mayo. I put a jar of Dukes on my Amazon shopping list to try it out. I also have a small jar of Sir Kensington's organic mayo I got from the online food service I use for pantry items. Just experimenting but I think my heart will always be with Best Foods.

8 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

It is NOT mayo!  I had it once when I was little on turkey at a party and for most of my life I thought I didn’t like turkey.  It was the miracle whip that I didn’t like.  

Gotcha on that! I loath Miracle Whip!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

What the heck were these people serving? Turkey-Miracle Whip canapes?

• LOL 3

I like Duke's, but I'm a Best Foods gal since that's what I grew up with. 

I cannot stand Miracle Whip.  I'd eat a sandwich bone dry before I'd taint innocent bread with that stuff.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
30 minutes ago, janie jones said:

What the heck were these people serving? Turkey-Miracle Whip canapes?

Haha it wasn’t a fancy party, it was a kid’s pool party.  But still who would use horrible miracle whip and try to pass it off as turkey & mayo sandwiches?  A monster!

• Applause 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Miracle Whip claims to be "salad dressing."

Last October, I had fried pimiento cheese. It was delicious. Came with a bourbon-pepper jelly...

2021.10.04 Fried Pimiento Cheese.jpg

That is what I thought it always used to say on the jar, but now the jar says “Creamy Mayo (wrong) and Tangy Dressing”.  By salad dressing, I think they are talking more like a potato or mac salad, rather than a garden or Caesar, but still.  Yuck!  MW is still a NO in those salads, which need real mayonnaise.  Truly, the only thing miraculous about Miracle Whip is that anyone likes or buys it. 🤮

Edited by Miss Bones
Grammar
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

I like Miracle Whip slightly better than real mayonnaise (which is not at all). Once every few years I get a craving for pickle & pimento loaf sandwiches and have them with very thinly spread Miracle Whip. Then the rest of the 8 oz. jar goes to waste because I don't trust it when it's been in an open container for years.

1 hour ago, Bruinsfan said:

I like Miracle Whip slightly better than real mayonnaise (which is not at all). Once every few years I get a craving for pickle & pimento loaf sandwiches and have them with very thinly spread Miracle Whip. Then the rest of the 8 oz. jar goes to waste because I don't trust it when it's been in an open container for years.

Yeah hear you on that! I only buy Best foods in th 8oz jar as I use so little of it. But manage to use it all up. I now have the Kennisgton's to try and will try a small Dikes for comparison... I think Best Foods will win anyway... 

I despise mayo, it's disgusting stuff but try finding a prepared sandwich in this country without it and even asking for no mayo at a diner or such seems to cause people to stop & stare at me, I grew up with butter on my sarnies & had never even heard of mayo until I was i my 30s.

And don't get me started on how french toast is eaten over here, 🤮.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

We visited Scotland once. I swear they put mayonnaise on everything.

I lived their for a couple of years & not once did I see mayo but that was in the 70s so maybe they do now, wouldn't surprise me with some of the crap they eat, I'll have to ask my sister as she still lives there with her beau.

When we were back in the UK for a few weeks in 2019 most prepacked sandwiches now had mayo on them, I was too busy eating scotch eggs & pork pies to notice much though.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Love 1
13 hours ago, Bruinsfan said:

As a kid I'd eat Miracle Whip sandwiches (I'd also eat sugar sandwiches and put peanut butter on rye bread then put it in the toaster).

• Mind Blown 1
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

We visited Scotland once. I swear they put mayonnaise on everything.

I lived their for a couple of years & not once did I see mayo but that was in the 70s

We were in Edinburgh in June 2001. My husband remembers mayo on french fries. I remember it being on other things and thinking, yuck. In general, I found the food to be not very good. I was at a conference, so we didn't have any choice in what we were served for lunch. The best meal I had when we were there was at a Mexican restaurant.

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

How many toasters did you destroy doing that?

None. Not only that but my parents never knew.  It all had to do with how much peanut butter you used and how to put the bread in the toaster.  It actually tasted pretty darn good. (I was a sneaky little kid.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
16 minutes ago, Tom Holmberg said:

None. Not only that but my parents never knew.  It all had to do with how much peanut butter you used and how to put the bread in the toaster.  It actually tasted pretty darn good. (I was a sneaky little kid.)

Lol, so was I.

The best meal I had when we were there was at a Mexican restaurant

When we were in France, we loved it so much, we actually considered moving there. But they had no Mexican food, so we just couldn't do it.

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

We were in Edinburgh in June 2001. My husband remembers mayo on french fries. I remember it being on other things and thinking, yuck. In general, I found the food to be not very good. I was at a conference, so we didn't have any choice in what we were served for lunch. The best meal I had when we were there was at a Mexican restaurant.

It's British food, what can I say 🤷‍♂️

The first time I saw mayo on french fries was in Belgium where that's how they eat it & I thought then it was the most disgusting thing I had ever seen. Surprised there was a Mexican restaurant there but I guess the world moves on. I must say though that the first time I tried refried beans I thought I had died & gone to heaven but being I'm generally not good with anything spicy I can always find something to eat.

• Like 1

I don't like ketchup, so I dip my fries in ranch dressing, which is, of course, mayonnaise based.  Not remotely uncommon in Los Angeles -- almost anything can be a vessel for ranch here.  Just plain mayo isn't unusual to me, either; I grew up (in the '70s) with my best friend's mom ordering a side of mayo when we went out for burgers and fries.

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I don't like ketchup, so I dip my fries in ranch dressing, which is, of course, mayonnaise based.  Not remotely uncommon in Los Angeles -- almost anything can be a vessel for ranch here.  Just plain mayo isn't unusual to me, either; I grew up (in the '70s) with my best friend's mom ordering a side of mayo when we went out for burgers and fries.

Same!  I am an East Coaster and I also put ranch on pretty much anything.  I will also dip fries in just mayo 🤷‍♀️  Yum, now I want fries!

3 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I dated a British guy once. While making a sandwich for him, I asked, "Do you want mustard and mayonnaise on it?"

When I was about 7, my Mom asked my Dad that. The only problem was she was making the sandwich ostensibly for Santa. We never left him milk & cookies - we'd leave a bologna sandwich. So when Mom asked Dad, I spent a long time wondering why Daddy would care what Santa has on his baloney sandwich.

• LOL 6
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I was just in Edinburgh this past June, along with several other places in Scotland, and I enjoyed everything I ate.  I had the most fabulous cheese toastie in some random pub (in Ft. William, I think), Indian food on Orkney, and Nepalese food in Edinburgh.  But mostly I had seafood, of course -- the plate of mussels on Skye was to die for.  So delicious!  I did have some prepared sandwiches from Sainsbury's, and I noticed that the bread is buttered before the filling is added.  A tuna mayonnaise with buttered bread is unusual to me, but nice.

We used to do buttered (actually margarine) on the outside of the bread, for tuna sandwiches, with sliced cheese or just tuna salad, and pan grilled like a grilled cheese.   

I don't think I ever had ranch at home, we used ketchup for fries, but after college I discovered ranch for almost everything.    I do know people from Pennsylvania, or New York that dip their fries in mayo. 

My understanding is most real salad dressing that's creamy is Mayo based, with either sweet pickle relish, or ketchup in it.    Or the special sauce is often ketchup added to mayo, and maybe something else to spice it up.     

Years ago, when poodle perms were in vogue, a lot of people used mayo hair conditioner, but you couldn't do it too close after getting a perm, because it would straighten it out.    So, when I got my last perm and was unhappy (I wanted body, not to look like a poodle with tight curls), I went home and immediately tried the mayo method, and it straightened it right out.     Mayo is pretty much egg for protein, and mixed with oil, so it's really close to hair conditioner.

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
3 hours ago, Tom Holmberg said:

The Midwest is also notoriously ranch dressing land. So I guess its the whole country.

https://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Survival-Guide-Drink-Everything/dp/0063074958/

LOL, yep. I definitely like ranch dressing. I only put it on salads, but still... 

And that's about the closest I'll get to anything mayonnaise-related at all. I am not a mayo person. I don't often tend to put a lot of extra stuff on my food in general, I'm pretty boring in that regard (I don't pour milk in my cereal, for instance). I did have ketchup with fries when I was a kid, but at some point I stopped doing that and now I just eat the fries as is, without anything else. Except just the right amount of salt, that is :p. 

• LOL 1
7 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I dated a British guy once. While making a sandwich for him, I asked, "Do you want mustard and mayonnaise on it?" He looked at me like I had grown a second head.

What sort of dressing do they put on sandwiches there?

I went through a period of time where I was putting egg whites in my hair, to do whatever good egg whites are supposed to do to your hair. My mom's friend told me that she put mayo in her hair because it's so much easier to spread than egg whites. She recommended that I put it in the microwave for a couple seconds so it's not so cold on my scalp. Well I the first time I tried that, I put the mayo in the microwave for too long. The smell was the most repulsive thing I'd smelled before or since. It was quite a while before I could eat mayonnaise again.

• Like 2
  • Mind Blown 3
  • Applause 1
  • LOL 2