Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

I know this ad has been around for a while, but there's one thing I don't understand about the underwear that holds urine and period flow.  OK, that's fine, but how do you launder those things?  There's no way I want to put those things in my washer. It's just too gross to think about.  I'll stick to tampons.

• Like 1
  • Applause 2
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I know this ad has been around for a while, but there's one thing I don't understand about the underwear that holds urine and period flow.  OK, that's fine, but how do you launder those things?  There's no way I want to put those things in my washer. It's just too gross to think about.  I'll stick to tampons.

I am pretty sure one throws them away after used.

3 minutes ago, Gharlane said:

I am pretty sure one throws them away after used.

Nope.  They're supposed to be washable.  You can handwash them or throw them in the laundry with the rest of your underwear.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I don't have periods anymore (not since 1995 hysterectomy) but I do have the occasional urine leaks. I have 3 pairs of these panties and do like them, but rinse them out in the guest bathroom tub with soap after use before washing in the washing machine with my other "unders".  I can't imagine putting bloody ones in the washer with other clothes though!

I got mine on Amazon, they are sturdy and do the job I need them for well. If I was still menstruating, I'd be using tampons too!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I know this ad has been around for a while, but there's one thing I don't understand about the underwear that holds urine and period flow.  OK, that's fine, but how do you launder those things?

However you prefer -- you can wash separately, but they're fine to just be tossed in with a regular load.  (They should be line dried, but are machine washable.)

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

Some brands say to just toss them in with your regular laundry; others say rinse first then wash as usual. I pre-soak then put them in with the other laundry.

(Some people think tampons are gross, LOL!)

• Love 1
37 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

What do people do if you cut yourself and get blood on clothing, someone wets the bed, or other body fluids? I'm not throwing sheets and clothing away. I'm washing it. You use soap for a reason.

A cut finger & menstrual flow are two VERY different things.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 1
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

But they are both removed using proper washing. When I had periods, there would be leaks. I didn't throw my pants out, I washed them. Maybe working in a clinical lab for 3 years where I dealt with all kinds of body fluids jaded me, but come on, body fluids are not nuclear waste.

• Like 1
  • Applause 7
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

26 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Not as far as fabric is concerned.

I think what is squicking people out (or maybe I’m just speaking for myself) is not the source but the volume. As in, drops vs ounces. Just like a sheet and mattress pad from a bed-wetting accident, it seems like these things would need some kind of pre-treatment. I think some of us are just wondering about the logistics of that. 

• Applause 2
4 hours ago, Colleenna said:

How? Both are just blood. 

Partly true. It's blood plus the shed inner lining of the uterus. There could be quite a bit of it, and it can be chunky and shreddy and gooey. Which is why I can't picture throwing these pants into the washer without some serious prep.

Next time I see an ad for one of these products I'll pay more attention to see if they address the issue.

• Applause 2
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, CoderLady said:

Partly true. It's blood plus the shed inner lining of the uterus. There could be quite a bit of it, and it can be chunky and shreddy and gooey. Which is why I can't picture throwing these pants into the washer without some serious prep.

Next time I see an ad for one of these products I'll pay more attention to see if they address the issue.

I don't really play close attention to the ads, but I doubt they do address the topic, because I don't think the companies see it as an issue. Even the websites/instruction for use are just like "rinse before washing." I mean, you treat the underwear the same way you treat your underwear/pajama bottoms/sheets when your period comes in the night and you wake up to a blood bath. Some people might prefer to do a load of just that stuff, and others might simply rinse the items and wash it with other stuff. (I rinse my underwear until the water runs clear, so it's not any dirtier than other dirty laundry. But I also wash my clothes I've leaked onto with other dirty laundry.)

• Like 1
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Bastet said:

However you prefer -- you can wash separately, but they're fine to just be tossed in with a regular load.  (They should be line dried, but are machine washable.)

I am just curious - how does it not leak through?  Is there plastic at the bottom?

17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

But they are both removed using proper washing. When I had periods, there would be leaks. I didn't throw my pants out, I washed them. Maybe working in a clinical lab for 3 years where I dealt with all kinds of body fluids jaded me, but come on, body fluids are not nuclear waste.

Like someone said above, it is the amount of blood, and the possible chunks. 

• Applause 2
6 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I am just curious - how does it not leak through?  Is there plastic at the bottom?

It's not plastic, but I'm not sure what it is -- there are three layers, and the one touching your body wicks moisture, the inner one absorbs it and "locks it in", and the outer is leak resistant.  So if you get the right absorbency for your flow, no leaks.  (Despite the waste, I prefer tampons, so I just use the period panties as back-up protection overnight; I used to use a washable pad, but switched to these because of the lack of bulk and will never go back.)

15 hours ago, CoderLady said:

There are no laundry instructions in the commercials (in the instructions that come with them they simply state you can pre-rinse them or wash them separately if you prefer, but neither is necessary, they can be tossed in with a regular load).  The commercials (at least that I've seen) focus on the benefits of "ditching the disposables", the absorbency, being "leak-proof", and them feeling like regular underwear. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 10/3/2022 at 1:54 PM, KLovestoShop said:

Everything I've read about those say they aren't really leakproof.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:00 PM, chessiegal said:

What do people do if you cut yourself and get blood on clothing, someone wets the bed, or other body fluids? I'm not throwing sheets and clothing away. I'm washing it. You use soap for a reason.

Depends on WHAT bodily fluid.  The time I had a terrible menstrual cycle and leaked all over the bed, I threw the sheets out.  It was a horrible mess and I had other sheets.

No way would I put those underwear in with a regular load.

I find those commercials annoying but if people want to use the products, I don't care.  I do sometimes get the name (Thinx) confused with Spanx, though.

On 10/3/2022 at 6:43 PM, chessiegal said:

body fluids are not nuclear waste.

People have different levels of comfort.

On 10/3/2022 at 9:49 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I think what is squicking people out (or maybe I’m just speaking for myself) is not the source but the volume. As in, drops vs ounces. Just like a sheet and mattress pad from a bed-wetting accident, it seems like these things would need some kind of pre-treatment. I think some of us are just wondering about the logistics of that. 

And that with menstrual flow, it's not JUST blood.

• Love 1

I remember Jerry Seinfeld did a bit about laundry detergent. He was perplexed as to why a detergent would brag in a commercial about its efficiency at taking away blood stains from fabric. A woman would know.

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
12 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I remember Jerry Seinfeld did a bit about laundry detergent. He was perplexed as to why a detergent would brag in a commercial about its efficiency at taking away blood stains from fabric. A woman would know.

And a serial killer.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

Regarding the Subaru commercial with the blind dog: there is an organization called Blind Dog Rescue  Alliance that rescues blind dogs (duh!) and finds loving homes for them, sometimes transporting them thousands of miles to their new family.  Just thought you might like to know.  

• Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

Bringing the discussion about the couple going for Goldfish in the small bag at the same time over here.

We like Goldfish for a snack. I buy the packages of small bags so everyone gets their own bag. We refer to it as "train food". Amtrak has a first-class lounge at Union Station in DC. Passengers who have booked a compartment in the sleeping cars can wait in the lounge for the train. They have coffee, tea, soft drinks, and snacks for the taking. They always had individual bags of Goldfish. Now if one of us is going for a bag, we'll ask the other person - do you want some train food?

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 1
On 10/6/2022 at 9:42 PM, mmecorday said:

Happening upon a pile of cat puke in bare feet is quite the wakeup call too. 

Is it worse if it's warm or cold?  I still can't decide...

So the charging port on my laptop came loose (probably from accidental yanking of the cord) and I was without a computer for a couple weeks.  I made an appointment with Best Buy's Geek Squad.  I took the computer in, he looked at it for all of 2 minutes and said, "Yeah, your charging port is bad.  We can fix in in a few minutes, but we can't order the parts."  WHAT?  You can't order parts?  WTF nonsense is that?  They could have marked up the part 300%!  He told me to order it from Amazon and they'll put it in.  He gave me the model # of my laptop and showed me that the part was about $8 on Amazon.  So I got home and ordered it and my son said "I bet I could put it in.  No guarantees on the work and I'm not liable for any damages."  Got the part, it was the wrong one because the Geek gave me the wrong model number.  The actual part was $4.  My son fixed it (after some serious cursing).  It still blows my mind that Best Buy wouldn't order parts.

• Mind Blown 5
  • Useful 1
23 minutes ago, lh25 said:

Do people really give cars as a surprise present often?

A few years ago my husband did - but we went to the dealership so I could pick it out and do a test drive. I was joking with the sales woman about the big red bow, and she told me they get requests for them. IIRC, she said they were something like $250.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

A few years ago my husband did - but we went to the dealership so I could pick it out and do a test drive. I was joking with the sales woman about the big red bow, and she told me they get requests for them. IIRC, she said they were something like $250.

So, it wasn't a surprise.  

• Love 2
23 minutes ago, Crashcourse said:

So, it wasn't a surprise.  

No. It totally was a surprise! I had no idea when I got up that morning that he was going to say - hey, we're going to the dealership today to get you a new car. The car I was driving I bought new ten years previously, took good care of, and there was nothing wrong with it. He knew I was interested in getting a new car, but without me knowing had been squirreling $$ away for it. I was kind of blown away.

• Fire 1
  • Applause 3
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

No. It totally was a surprise! I had no idea when I got up that morning that he was going to say - hey, we're going to the dealership today to get you a new car. The car I was driving I bought new ten years previously, took good care of, and there was nothing wrong with it. He knew I was interested in getting a new car, but without me knowing had been squirreling $$ away for it. I was kind of blown away.

But he didn't just show up with a car with a bow on top and say "Voila!".  Which is what happens in most of these commercials.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

But he didn't just show up with a car with a bow on top and say "Voila!".  Which is what happens in most of these commercials.

When I was joking with our sales agent about the big red bow (she thought my husband's surprise was sweet), she said they do get requests for the big red bow.

• Love 1

OK, over in another thread I mentioned that there is a plant-based alternative to salmon (cakes) from a company called  Good Catch. I wanted to  follow up on this..

At the time,  I had *not* tried them. Now I have. I DO NOT  recommend them. As far as I'm concerned,  they're absolutely  NASTY.  

I cooked them according to the package directions.  The smell was awful, not even vaguely  salmon-like. The texture and flavor were off-putting.  Blargh. 

Honestly,  the very best plant-based fish replacement I've had is Gardein's Fish Filets.  And my homemade  tofu "scallops."

• Sad 1
  • Useful 2
16 hours ago, Colleenna said:

OK, over in another thread I mentioned that there is a plant-based alternative to salmon (cakes) from a company called  Good Catch. I wanted to  follow up on this..

At the time,  I had *not* tried them. Now I have. I DO NOT  recommend them. As far as I'm concerned,  they're absolutely  NASTY.  

I cooked them according to the package directions.  The smell was awful, not even vaguely  salmon-like. The texture and flavor were off-putting.  Blargh. 

Honestly,  the very best plant-based fish replacement I've had is Gardein's Fish Filets.  And my homemade  tofu "scallops."

Everything I have ever tasted that was plant based has always tasted that way.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Love 1
On 12/1/2022 at 8:17 AM, Welshman in Ca said:

It's perfectly possible depending on where you live.

All I have to do is step outside, here in MT there are several inches on the ground and more to come. As long as I have power and heat I can deal with the cold. I guess being born in WI kind of acclimated me to the cold...

• Applause 1
3 hours ago, jennifer6973 said:

Everything I have ever tasted that was plant based has always tasted that way.

Thanks for the heads up.

Most of the plant-based foods I have had are good. Impossible "beef" is excellent (Boca burgers are just ok) as are the Impossible  nuggets and Impossible "sausage." Gardein F'sh Filets and the Mandarin  Orange chickn are also very good.   

• Useful 1
On 11/21/2022 at 12:37 PM, chessiegal said:

I don't think that is a surprise car gift, I think that is just a day of car shopping/buying.  

• Like 1
  • Love 2
38 minutes ago, heatherchandler said:

I don't think that is a surprise car gift, I think that is just a day of car shopping/buying.  

It was a surprise to me! I had no idea when I got up that morning that I'd have new wheels at the end of the day. He was squirreling money away without me knowing it. He also did all the haggling ahead of time on-line, again without me knowing it, so when we got to the dealership it was test drive and buy.

You don't need a car in the driveway with a bow on top for a surprise gift of a car.

Edited by chessiegal
  • Applause 1
  • Love 3
20 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

All I have to do is step outside, here in MT there are several inches on the ground and more to come. As long as I have power and heat I can deal with the cold. I guess being born in WI kind of acclimated me to the cold...

Oh my. You live in one of this country's most beautiful places. Color me envious.  

• Like 1
17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

You don't need a car in the driveway with a bow on top for a surprise gift of a car.

Maybe not, but what your partner did for you wasn't the ridiculous thing seen in commercials. You got to test drive and have input in the car you received. He did not go out and make the (major) purchase without telling you and while completely leaving you out of the decision making. I think "being left out of the decision making" is what people consider the surprise.

• Like 1
  • Love 2
19 minutes ago, janie jones said:

Maybe not, but what your partner did for you wasn't the ridiculous thing seen in commercials. You got to test drive and have input in the car you received. He did not go out and make the (major) purchase without telling you and while completely leaving you out of the decision making. I think "being left out of the decision making" is what people consider the surprise.

I believe the word for that is "mistake".

• Like 1
  • Applause 3
22 minutes ago, janie jones said:

When someone has already picked out a car for you, made all the arrangements that means all you have to do is go pick it up, and out of the blue says, let's go and get it, that's a surprise. You could have knocked me over with a feather.

• Love 1