Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: We'll Be Right Back

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, nokat said:

So much pumpkin spice things. There was a pumpkin ginger snap I liked (not from Starbucks).

I bought a pumpkin a couple years ago and made the roasted seeds and made pumpkin pie. A lot of work but worth it.

I always used to make toasted pumpkin seeds but these days , they play hell with my teeth.

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, nokat said:

No nuts. Just a lot of butter.

Oh yeah. I'm thinking of making it kind of cake-like in a low, square pan with a crumble of butter, brown sugar and crushed toasted pecans. It's worth a try. My DH can always take it to work, those guys will eat anything. I just love to experiment. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh yeah. I'm thinking of making it kind of cake-like in a low, square pan with a crumble of butter, brown sugar and crushed toasted pecans. It's worth a try. My DH can always take it to work, those guys will eat anything. I just love to experiment. 

I'm sure nothing you bake comes out that awful. I did used to bring things to work or send some with the hubs.  Never lasted that long. :)

• Like 1
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

With those ingredients?  How can it not be delicious?

I have a pumpkin bread recipe that I got from the dorm chef in college back in the Stone Age.  I still make about 9 loaves every holiday season.  It's become a family tradition.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

With those ingredients?  How can it not be delicious?

I have a pumpkin bread recipe that I got from the dorm chef in college back in the Stone Age.  I still make about 9 loaves every holiday season.  It's become a family tradition.

I love family traditions like that. My mom's BFF made everyone cheesecakes at Christmas. Oh, how we looked forward to those delicious cheesecakes! One of the best day after Christmas morninings I ever had was waking up to a foot of snow (Yay! my flower shop was closed for a week) and having both a piece of my hubby's wonderful pumpkin pie with a slice of the famous cheese cake for breakfast and then going right back to bed. Sigh, bliss.

• Like 1
  • Love 5
27 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I love family traditions like that. My mom's BFF made everyone cheesecakes at Christmas. Oh, how we looked forward to those delicious cheesecakes! One of the best day after Christmas morninings I ever had was waking up to a foot of snow (Yay! my flower shop was closed for a week) and having both a piece of my hubby's wonderful pumpkin pie with a slice of the famous cheese cake for breakfast and then going right back to bed. Sigh, bliss.

My wife makes a great cheesecake but the oven is mostly out of commission for long periods during the summer months, 115f today!

• Mind Blown 4
  • Fire 1
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I have a cheesecake swirl brownie recipe that is a hit.

• Applause 1
  • Love 1

Since we were talking pumpkins, I made a pumpkin cheesecake roll once.  It was basically pumpkin cake baked on a cooking sheet and then rolled up with a cheesecake filling.  It did look pretty.

I usually bake several pumpkin pies around Thanksgiving. Home made is the best.

• Applause 1
3 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

My wife makes a great cheesecake but the oven is mostly out of commission for long periods during the summer months, 115f today!

This is why I love my Instant Pot and microwave. No heating up the kitchen. In the winter I like doing low and slow roasts, and the oven is on for hours. Not in this heat.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
8 hours ago, Haleth said:

I hope the heat wave breaks soon for you guys in CA.  My son and DIL have been miserable.

I'm going to be even more miserable when I get my utility bill.  I've run my air conditioner more the past couple of weeks than I normally do in two months.  (And I love the email from the power company:  "Your electric use is trending higher than usual".  No shit, Sherlock; it's 100 fucking degrees.)

• Sad 3
  • Wink 1
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm going to be even more miserable when I get my utility bill.  I've run my air conditioner more the past couple of weeks than I normally do in two months.  (And I love the email from the power company:  "Your electric use is trending higher than usual".  No shit, Sherlock; it's 100 fucking degrees.)

Yeah,and those brainiacs want to add electric cars to the already taxed power grid!! 

• Sad 2
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

I love the emails comparing me to neighbors. Trending higher, it's a heat wave. Don't worry, I don't need to eat.

• Sad 1
16 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah,and those brainiacs want to add electric cars to the already taxed power grid!! 

How about we have a few businesses close from 4 to 9 rather than trying get people to turn their AC up to 78 (not a chance here, I would melt), surely that would save a lot more electricity.

Also asking people to charge their cars overnight, FFS what happens if you forget to plug it in before bed time. Reminds me of the drought situation, we waste so much water on Almonds of all things.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
21 minutes ago, Welshman in Ca said:

How about we have a few businesses close from 4 to 9 rather than trying get people to turn their AC up to 78 (not a chance here, I would melt), surely that would save a lot more electricity.

Also asking people to charge their cars overnight, FFS what happens if you forget to plug it in before bed time. Reminds me of the drought situation, we waste do much water on Almonds of all things.

Well that makes sense. People aren't prone to be logical.

Oh and water rights in CA.  It's a real issue.

Edited by nokat
  • Love 1
6 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

trying get people to turn their AC up to 78 (not a chance here, I would melt),

I never set mine lower than 78, and usually have it at 80.  But oftentimes if it's in the low 80s and I'm just working at my desk (meaning, not physically exerting myself in any way), I won't even bother turning it on, since with the ceiling fan going I'm perfectly comfortable.  So, yes, DWP, my electricity usage is trending upward, because I'm a conscientious energy consumer so my norm is to use less than average.  When it's this freakin' hot, I'm running the air most of the day.

• Applause 2
  • Love 4

I suspect the temperature at my actual home office desk is around 77°-78°, but to get that I have to set my thermostat (located on the inmost wall of my apartment, shared with a neighbor who refrigerates his) on 74°. Most of the exterior wall of my loft is windows, and my desk is close to the biggest.

I make up for it in the winter by keeping my heat set in the low 60s and using a space heater and lap cat.129028233_10221491452907855_163290007154

Edited by Bruinsfan
  • Love 7
9 minutes ago, Bruinsfan said:

I suspect the temperature at my actual home office desk is around 77°-78°, but to get that I have to set my thermostat (located on the inmost wall of my apartment, shared with a neighbor who refrigerates his) on 74°. Most of the exterior wall of my loft is windows, and my desk is close to the biggest.

I make up for it in the winter by keeping my heat set in the low 60s and using a space heater and lap cat.129028233_10221491452907855_163290007154

A seal point Siamese! I've had two, aren't they great?

• Love 3

My wife can cope quite happily at 78 as she was born & raised in the central valley of CA but I'm an alien who was born in the UK towards the end of November & I can sleep with the bedroom window open when it's snowing. I find it much easier to warm up than cool down.

We rarely have the heating on in the winter & it's set to 64 just to take the chill off in the mornings.

My cats like to sleep under beds for some reason, all 3 of them.

Edited by Welshman in Ca
  • Like 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Welshman in Ca said:

My wife can cope quite happily at 78 as she was born & raised in the central valley of CA but I'm an alien who was born in the UK towards the end of November & I can sleep with the bedroom window open when it's snowing. I find it much easier to warm up than cool down.

We rarely have the heating on in the winter & it's set to 64 just to take the chill off in the mornings.

My cats like to sleep under beds for some reason, all 3 of them.

I'll happily do 90 and above (desert) until it's time to sleep. But then I'd hike in hot dry heat where I'd hide under a bush to cool off a bit. Humidity sucks though.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, nokat said:

I'll happily do 90 and above (desert) until it's time to sleep. But then I'd hike in hot dry heat where I'd hide under a bush to cool off a bit. Humidity sucks though.

Gah. It took me 5 years to get my husband to stop putting on a winter coat when it got down to 55 degrees (he's a desert rat too.) No!! Coat goes on when it gets to 35 degrees.  Coat gets zipped when it gets to 30. Depending on how far it goes below that,  I start adding gloves and a tuque. But I start hiding in the a/c when it's above 80. And yes, humidity sucks.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Gah. It took me 5 years to get my husband to stop putting on a winter coat when it got down to 55 degrees (he's a desert rat too.) No!! Coat goes on when it gets to 35 degrees.  Coat gets zipped when it gets to 30. Depending on how far it goes below that,  I start adding gloves and a tuque. But I start hiding in the a/c when it's above 80. And yes, humidity sucks.  

I grew up in Miami - at 68, the sweaters come out.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I grew up in Miami - at 68, the sweaters come out.

Layers. On off, on off. Morning, I need a light sweater, then later it is off with the layers.

10 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I feel I shouldn't tell you when I get a jacket out.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
On 9/9/2022 at 2:59 PM, Colleenna said:

Coat goes on when it gets to 35 degrees.  Coat gets zipped when it gets to 30. 

Lifelong CT resident here - same.

A hat and mittens usually come out when it's below 20.

This week it suddenly went down to mid/low 70s, which is still fine for shorts and t-shirts. Below 70, though, I will pair long pants with the t-shirt. (Sandals are still fair game til about October 1. I feel that if your feet aren't actually cramping you have no need for socks or closed shoes. 😃)

Edited by SnarkySheep

All of my cold weather clothing is in storage.  We sold our house in July and thought we'd be in our new one by the end of Sept/early Oct.  Now it looks like it will be the end of Oct at the earliest.  I did keep a couple pairs of jeans and a couple sweaters out just in case, but it won't take me far if we have a cold fall.  

• Hugs 2
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

This week it suddenly went down to mid/low 70s, which is still fine for shorts and t-shirts. Below 70, though, I will pair long pants with the t-shirt. (Sandals are still fair game til about October 1. I feel that if your feet aren't actually cramping you have no need for socks or closed shoes. 😃)

It's been a long time since I've felt temperatures like that. Wind chill -20f and walking to work. I usually don't miss it. It's been so hot and dry here I'm like bring on the cold and snow. Then I remember digging out the car from a snowbank.

I have a couple light jackets, shoes instead of sandals.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, SnarkySheep said:

I'm usually  OK with shorts, tees, down to about  50 degrees (although I've been known to stand out on my porch like that in 40 degree weather. )

2 hours ago, Colleenna said:

I'm usually  OK with shorts, tees, down to about  50 degrees (although I've been known to stand out on my porch like that in 40 degree weather. )

Do some of you have fur? Hee.

• LOL 5
3 hours ago, Colleenna said:

Well..... I usually wear a lot of cat fur that my girlie sheds. 😉 Cat hair is a way of life.

I have found that it's much less a way of life now that Bosco's gone. That cat was a shedding machine!  I can even put off changing the A/C filter for another month. Stella doesn't shed nearly as much as Bosco did.  However, I'd change the A/C filter every day if I could have him back, cancer-free.

• Hugs 5
  • Love 2
5 hours ago, Welshman in Ca said:

Same here but it's a bit warm when it's 115 outside.

See, that's why I prefer a cold climate. I can always put on enough layers to get warm,  but (1) I can't take off enough clothes to cool down and still go out in public and (2) there's no way to unzip and remove my *skin* if I'm nude but still sweating...

• Love 7
On 8/17/2022 at 10:51 AM, Tom Holmberg said:

That could be a sequel to the "Seinfeld" episode where Kramer uses butter as suntan lotion.  Elaine uses Mayo in her hair and looks like a chicken salad sandwich to Newman.

PSA here: I can't imagine putting mayo in my own hair voluntarily.  However, after trying various other solutions, from commercial to homeopathic, we finally got rid of my kid's head lice by smothering her hair in mayo and wrapping it in Saranwrap for a couple of hours.  My kid was not happy, but it worked!

• Useful 2
3 hours ago, Leeds said:

PSA here: I can't imagine putting mayo in my own hair voluntarily.  However, after trying various other solutions, from commercial to homeopathic, we finally got rid of my kid's head lice by smothering her hair in mayo and wrapping it in Saranwrap for a couple of hours.  My kid was not happy, but it worked!

Did he look like a chicken salad sandwich?

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Leeds said:

They had to do it on The Office when Pam got lice from her kids and took them to work and almost everyone got them. I almost gagged watching it.

• LOL 2
11 hours ago, Leeds said:

Mayo will work IN AN EMERGENCY as a conditioner.  At least that's what I always heard growing up 60+ years ago. I have no idea if it's true.  

• Love 2
On 9/19/2022 at 9:44 PM, Colleenna said:

Mayo will work IN AN EMERGENCY as a conditioner.  At least that's what I always heard growing up 60+ years ago. I have no idea if it's true.  

It's also an easy way to remove a perm, if you slather it on right after it's done.     I don't know if it's because of the protein in the eggs, or the oil, or a combination of both.   A long time ago I wanted a body perm, loose curls, and the woman turned me into a poodle.   So, when I got home I took a close look, drove right next door to my grocery store, bought a big jug of real mayo, slathered it on, and left it for a while, and when I washed it out, the hair straightened out, at least the part by my roots that had just been done.   Of course, the older perm was still there.  

On the women pooping commercial, isn't that the same company that's doing the Kathy Lee Gifford vitamin commercial?    They should have a join commercial with plastic surgery, botox and fillers for the KLG one. 

• Like 1
  • Useful 1