Type keyword(s) to search

Golden Girls News (and Media): Better Late Than.... Pregnant!

• Start Topic

You guys.   I went to Rue La Rue in NYC.  We were on vacation and we went to Washington Heights specifically to go to the café.  It was amazing!!  I almost cried!  There is a ton of Rue's memorabilia, including some outfits and her Emmy, as well as a tons of pics of all the Girls.  They also had the wallpaper with the leaves from Blanche's room, the yellow phone from the kitchen, and the bathroom was done in green/pink tile.  We bought coffee (each Girl has a type of roast) and I had some of Blanche's orange poppy cake and Rose's Guflaffen cake.  It is very small, but the place has a great atmosphere:  There are episodes playing in the background and everyone softly began singing the theme song like the dorks we are.  I highly recommend it!!

• Love 14

Just for fun, I googled the menu...not sure if the pics are up to date, but it def is a menu that caters to the fans. Definitely not the whole menu, just the better pics I could find...

o.jpg photo5jpg.jpg

o.jpg

• Love 6

Those are some crazy low prices, even for lunch. 

Shouldn't the Stan the Putz sandwich be Stan the Yutz or am I the one remembering it wrong?  (I know either would apply, but I have Sophia and Stan's mom in my head saying yutz.)

I get a ridiculous laugh out of naming the Caesar salad after George Clooney (in honor - or "honor" - of the haircut he went on to have).

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Shouldn't the Stan the Putz sandwich be Stan the Yutz or am I the one remembering it wrong?  (I know either would apply, but I have Sophia and Stan's mom in my head saying yutz.)

Your memory is correct.  Stan was always referred to as a "yutz."  But "putz" works, too!

• Love 1

I don't know where to put this, but I was watching and episode of Mama's family where  Mama ruins Aunt Fanny's dress.  For those who do not know, Rue plays Aunt Frannie and Ellen, who is her niece, is played by Betty.  It was a funny episode, but I think it is crazy that some casting director out there actually thought Rue could pass for Bettys' aunt.

• Love 6

It is kind of silly, but I like to think that they chose Rue because Vicki Lawrence herself was so young.  Vicki was born in 1949, so all of her "children" were at least fifteen years older than she was.

• Love 5

Wasn’t sure where to post this but I got the Golden Girls Edition of the Monopoly board game. Some of the properties include The Grief Counseling Center, Max &  Sophia’s Pizza & Knish Stand and Blanche’s Bedroom. The two most expensive properties (Park Place and Boardwalk in the  regular edition) are Shady Pines and Hollingsworth Manor. The draw cards are entitled Bck in St. Olaf and Picture it Sicily. Anyway, my 7-Year old grandson loves board games and we’ve been playing it all week. He’s staying with me during his Holiday break and we’re just having so much fun with it. 

So if any of you are thinking about getting this version of Monopoly, I say go for it. You’ll love it!

• Love 9
4 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

@LilWharveyGal Every so often I google GG merchandise so I can find out about any new products available. I found out there’s also a GG version of Clue where you unravel the mystery of who ate the Cheesecake in what room with what implement. Going to get that next.

Dorothy would be all over that one. You know how much she loves Clue-type games!

• Love 1

I found out there’s also a GG version of Clue where you unravel the mystery of who ate the Cheesecake in what room with what implement

I posted about that upthread a while back, but for those of you in the US and Canada who are interested in purchasing it, you can buy it online here.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Miss Chevious said:

@LilWharveyGal Every so often I google GG merchandise so I can find out about any new products available. I found out there’s also a GG version of Clue where you unravel the mystery of who ate the Cheesecake in what room with what implement. Going to get that next.

"It was Blanche, in all the bedrooms." My sister bought me this for Christmas! I had to be Dorothy. It was pretty fun. Miles and Stan also are game pieces.

• Love 1
Just now, Miss Chevious said:

Happy Birthday to Betty White! Congratulations on your 96th Birthday today! 

As they say in St. Olaf, “Uff-da!”

Congrats to Betty!

It's funny, I was just reading how Twitter freaked out because she was trending. I literally just saw this article minutes ago. It's heartwarming to know how loved she is.

• Love 7
On 1/5/2018 at 6:07 PM, Miss Chevious said:

Anyway, my 7-Year old grandson loves board games and we’ve been playing it all week. He’s staying with me during his Holiday break and we’re just having so much fun with it. 

I hope you were able to spend quality wharf time with him! ;-) 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
On 2/6/2018 at 12:03 AM, Gothish520 said:

:( I've always liked Donnelly Rhodes - Jake was a great character - I still think Blanche was a dummy for ditching him.

Yep, I agree.   Jake was the one who got away, for sure.  I would have snapped him up right after I was done with Ken Howard.  Hard to choose, hard to choose......

• Love 3
On 7/4/2017 at 1:25 AM, TrininisaScorp said:

You guys.   I went to Rue La Rue in NYC.  We were on vacation and we went to Washington Heights specifically to go to the café.  It was amazing!!  I almost cried!  There is a ton of Rue's memorabilia, including some outfits and her Emmy, as well as a tons of pics of all the Girls.  They also had the wallpaper with the leaves from Blanche's room, the yellow phone from the kitchen, and the bathroom was done in green/pink tile.  We bought coffee (each Girl has a type of roast) and I had some of Blanche's orange poppy cake and Rose's Guflaffen cake.  It is very small, but the place has a great atmosphere:  There are episodes playing in the background and everyone softly began singing the theme song like the dorks we are.  I highly recommend it!!

I need to go there!!  It sounds wonderful.

• Love 3

It is a bit of hike if you are in midtown, but GAWD it was worth it; we just jumped on the train.  I told my husband we'd never go to NYC without a visit to Rue LaRue.  (We JUST finished the last of our Picture It Italian Roast Sofia coffee, so it made me think of it)

I've been insane at work and wanted to treat myself....I bought Golden Girls Forever by Jim Colucci on Amazon.  I'm pleased with my purchase...it is a behind the scenes looks at the network development on the sitcom, casting the ladies, and, most impressive, an extensive walkthrough of lots of episodes from the series.  It is pieced together by the author's commentary, and filled out with lots of interviews and surveys he did.  I got it on Friday and knocked it out by Sat midday.  I couldn't put it down.  Maybe you guys were already familiar, but I wasn't.  

• Love 1

I just have to throw this in there for those who haven't seen it. Betty was on This Is Your Life back in 1987. It's a very candid look at her, and one of the few times she publicly lets her guard down. I love her, but tired of her interviews years ago, they are always a little too sweet and she tends to repeat the same things over and over again.. I get why she does it, it's her image. I think personally she is much more like Rose when she is competitive, you have to be a shrewd ball buster to make it as long as she has during the time she did. She also participated in a round table discussion with other comedic actresses. She gets pretty blunt in that one. She makes a comment about how actresses should be grateful for what they have and not whine, which Myaim Bialik took personally because she had just told a story about how the business was hard. Myaim handled it great, but the look on her face was like.. Holy shit, did I just get read the business by Betty White?! Anyways, here they are. Also including her Roast. 

• Love 2
6 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

I ...whaa?! Why?

Just read a article that it’s selling out fast and turning up on eBay. No doubt because of the toys being collectibles. Don’t underestimate the power and popularity of “the girls”. :) 

Edited by Ria
  • Love 4

I'm in a GG group on fb and one poster asked for guidance, help, consolation, and suggestions on what he should do because he bought the last box of the new cereal and part of it was crushed.  He sounded thisclose to being hysterical.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

• Love 4
21 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

I'm in a GG group on fb and one poster asked for guidance, help, consolation, and suggestions on what he should do because he bought the last box of the new cereal and part of it was crushed.  He sounded thisclose to being hysterical.  Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Thanks for the chuckle. Too much.

• Love 1

I went to two Targets today and neither one had the Golden Girls cereal. And that’s where my quest ends. I would’ve liked to try it even though it’s blue (not the most appetizing color for food) but I’m not going to go off the deep end if I can’t get it. 

Asking exorbitant prices on eBay is just plain crazy.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, schnauzergirl said:

Maybe you should join a group that's a little less fanatical in its devotion.  Like the PLO.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Maybe you should join a group that's a little less fanatical in its devotion.  Like the PLO.

Between the cereal and the panic/despair over two months without the girls on Hallmark, thanks to the never-ending Christmas movies, you may be right.  

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, schnauzergirl said:

Between the cereal and the panic/despair over two months without the girls on Hallmark, thanks to the never-ending Christmas movies, you may be right.  

Lol. I’m very upset over the two month Hallmark Christmas movies. Thank goodness for DVRs. 

• Love 4
On 10/23/2018 at 7:36 AM, Ria said:

Lol. I’m very upset over the two month Hallmark Christmas movies. Thank goodness for DVRs. 

I agree.  I think I might be less bothered if they didn't still have 4 hours of that horrible Home and Family show. Why not cut two hours of that crap show and still show the girls?

• Love 7
3 hours ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I agree.  I think I might be less bothered if they didn't still have 4 hours of that horrible Home and Family show. Why not cut two hours of that crap show and still show the girls?

Why do the movies have to go past 11:00? Just have many cookie cutter love stories can people watch? 

• Love 1