Type keyword(s) to search

Golden Girls News (and Media): Better Late Than.... Pregnant!

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

It's nice they're having this, but I wish it was in Miami. After all, Miami is cuter than an intrauterine. No one ever said that about Chicago.

I know right!? As a native Floridian, I am devastated...just DEVASTATED.

• LOL 6
  • Love 3

I am.. stunned...I was just contemplating attending a Golden Girls bingo night event that was to commemorate her Betty-centennial. I was getting ready for Betty! I just..can't...

I feel as though I've just lost my grandmother all over again..

Edited by Eri
  • Love 2

This news made me cry.

She was so genuine and warm and charming and funny. All our Girls are gone and it this really hurts. I hope they are enjoying some cheesecake together now. I'll be toasting Betty (and all my girls) tonight. She will be missed.

2021 really couldn't keep it's stinking hands to itself, could it. 

• Love 1

If this had happened in just three weeks, I would have been sad to lose Betty, but I would have been at peace with it.

I'm worried that watching her on The Golden Girls or The Mary Tyler Moore Show is going to bring up bad feelings and sad memories related to the timing of her passing.

This is NOT the time that any of us should feel sad watching the Girls.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Blakeston said:

If this had happened in just three weeks, I would have been sad to lose Betty, but I would have been at peace with it.

I feel the same way - I don't want to be sad when I watch the Girls. This was just so unexpected and a "wtf" moment since as far as we've known she had always been active and in good health. I hope it wasn't anything Covid-related or I'll be furious.

She deserved her 100th at the very most.

Edited by Eri
  • Love 10

I was just reading the People article about her upcoming 100th birthday celebration, and I honestly had the thought "if she makes it 3 weeks."  That sounds horrible, but I am now convinced that People Magazine jinxed our beloved Betty White.  Seriously though, RIP Ms. White.  She was one funny lady and a true friend to all animals.

• Love 12

It's so sad that all the girls are gone now.  😥 But at least Betty is now reunited with her beloved Allen. Loved this Twitter post, a tribute from Jenny Lewis using an iconic scene she did with Betty:

• Love 23

I just turned to TVLand and they are airing The Golden Girls today (Saturday) instead of Rosanne which is normally on at this time.

I think Betty would want her fans to remember her for her work and with laughter. Although I'm sure it will feel bittersweet for a while.

• Love 10

There is the one episode where they talk about taking care of each other, and what about when only one of them is left. That one was hard to watch, and now without Betty...

• Love 1

I smile at that! Betty kept her promise and she took care of herself (sorry Sophia) for as long as she could and enjoyed many more years of life to be a silly and lovable Golden so for that I'll be forever grateful.

Edited by Eri
  • Love 9

Enjoying the Golden Girls marathon on TV land. It is bittersweet but reminds me how much I missed the Sunday marathons on TV land (sorry but airing the Girls only until Noon doesn’t cut it) and the non existent airings on Hallmark. RIP Betty , you brought joy to so many. 

• Love 9

I read something on Yahoo about "Betty White's cause of death".

Which, needless to say, reminded me of Sophia's sarcastic answer to one of Rose's classically stupid questions:

Rose: "What did she (Sophia's friend) die from?"

Sophia: "She was fighting an oil rig fire in the Persian Gulf. She was 88!"

• LOL 17
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Hiyo said:

In annoyed Rose voice: "It was the Gulf of Mexico!"

My mistake.

But this also makes me think of the skit from Betty's episode of SNL, where she's a cop investigating "suspicious" nursing home deaths.

"You don't think it's strange that a 101 year old man suddenly dropped dead?"

I keep trying to imagine Betty as Blanche and Rue as Rose as was originally planned and I just can't. Maybe if I'd seen more of them in their previous roles (though I've caught quite a few repeats of "Maude" and still can't picture Rue as Rose, even after seeing her as the ditsy Vivian).

• Love 3
12 hours ago, Dr.OO7 said:

I keep trying to imagine Betty as Blanche and Rue as Rose as was originally planned and I just can't. Maybe if I'd seen more of them in their previous roles (though I've caught quite a few repeats of "Maude" and still can't picture Rue as Rose, even after seeing her as the ditsy Vivian).

Me neither. 

I also watched Betty in The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Mama's Family, but still can't imagine her as Blanche. Her characters on those 2 shows are vampy but not as nice and genuine as Blanche.

I guess that's what makes Rue and Betty such good actresses; each character are so different.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Me neither. 

I also watched Betty in The Mary Tyler Moore Show and Mama's Family, but still can't imagine her as Blanche. Her characters on those 2 shows are vampy but not as nice and genuine as Blanche.

I guess that's what makes Rue and Betty such good actresses; each character are so different.

That must be it.

I've never seen the MTM show, but from what I hear of Sue Ann Nivens, she was a classic Bitch In Sheep's Clothing, a nasty person under that "happy homemaker" facade. Blanche, for all her flaws, wasn't truly cruel or mean.

Interestingly, enough, I felt like the show often alluded to their previous characters--Blanche could occasionally be quite dim, while Rose could be quite the bitch when she wanted/needed to be--and I loved it when she was.

Edited by Dr.OO7
  • Love 4

The best reaction I've seen to Betty's passing is that she would be tickled by the timing. Because dying right before you turn 100 is the equivalent of singing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall and stopping when you get to two!

• LOL 14
  • Love 5
49 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

The best reaction I've seen to Betty's passing is that she would be tickled by the timing. Because dying right before you turn 100 is the equivalent of singing 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall and stopping when you get to two!

It sure drove Dorothy crazy.

• LOL 8
On 1/1/2022 at 11:50 PM, Dr.OO7 said:

I read something on Yahoo about "Betty White's cause of death".

Which, needless to say, reminded me of Sophia's sarcastic answer to one of Rose's classically stupid questions:

Rose: "What did she (Sophia's friend) die from?"

Sophia: "She was fighting an oil rig fire in the Persian Gulf. She was 88!"

On Mama's Family, another great show with our Betty and Rue, there is an episode where Aunt Fran, played by Rue, has died. They keep asking Mama (Vicky Lawrence) how she died and all she'll tell them is "natural causes." At one point, a person asks her what "natural causes" means and Mama responds, "It means she wasn't murdered or hit by a bus!"  We later find out, Fran died when she choked on a toothpick in the ladies' room of the Bigger Jigger. Anyway, all that to say, when my mom and I were talking about those articles that said Betty died from "natural causes", we both laughed and said, "well we know she wasn't murdered or hit by a bus; must have been a toothpick."

• LOL 6

Well, I've survived the first week but it's still too hard to watch GG right now since I don't want to associate it with being sad because it's my go-to for when I need to laugh.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts and well wishes since it's "just another death" to some people because of Betty's advanced age; but to anyone who knows me, knows how hard it was to receive the news as a superfan. I can't think or see anything that can't make me like Betty. 

Thanks for being understanding everyone! 🥺

Edited by Eri
  • Love 8

You all are probably the only people who would appreciate this. I love Golden Girls, and have since I was a kid (when it aired on Saturdays!). Anyway, apparently the subject has come up often enough at work. My mom died last March and a coworker recently told me that she wanted to find a way to cheer me up, so she wrote to agencies associated with Betty White and tried to get a signed photo or card or something for me, but was unsuccessful (it has worked for her with other celebrities in the past). She hesitated whether to tell me or not, but obviously did after Betty's death (which of course I brought up at work, even non-super fans were bummed). It's a little disappointing it didn't work out, but it also warms the cockles of my cold, dead heart that she tried!

• Love 4

I'm so sorry for your loss!

I wrote Betty White (as well as Bea and Rue) a fan letter once upon a time back in the early-mid 2000s but had no response. My coworkers also reached out to me when they heard of BW's passing and that meant something since they knew diddly squat about the show but I never shut up about GG at work. Eventually one of them started watching random episodes on their own. You spread the love wherever you can 💗

• Love 3
On 1/1/2022 at 9:21 PM, mmecorday said:

Betty lived for 40 years without the love of her life, Allen Ludden. I cannot imagine her happiness now seeing him again after all these years.

Yeah. Her death is a loss for us, but not for her. I really can't think of a more ideal way to go: in your sleep at at advanced age, with all your mental faculties and physical health, knowing how beloved you were by the world. And with Allen and a bevy of dogs waiting for you.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, rubaco said:

Hulu has just added The Golden Palace, if anyone's looking to see that rarity.

It's like having new episodes of the Golden Girls. Not nearly as funny, of course, but more Girls is comforting! And a young Don Cheadle!

• Love 3
On 1/1/2022 at 9:32 AM, nokat said:

There is the one episode where they talk about taking care of each other, and what about when only one of them is left. That one was hard to watch, and now without Betty...

If I remember correctly, they are sitting from left to right in the exact order they died.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Thank you for being a friend Betty - we miss you but won't ever forget you. I'll always remember how progressive a woman you were for your time; and how much joy and laughter you brought to both humans and animals alike via our television screens.

Golden Girls Dancing GIF by TV Land

I think I'm finally ready to watch Golden Girls again. 

Rose Nylund, you are St. Olaf's Woman of the Year - OOFDAH!

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47xaoh9j9iisdsx0y9tt

Edited by Eri
  • Like 1
  • Love 9

Happy Heavenly 100th birthday, Ms. Betty White! May it be a joyous occasion now that you are reunited with Allen and numerous long lost friends (both two and four legged)!

Google has a pretty neat little Easter egg if you Google her name today.

• Love 6

I donated to 3 local animal shelters in Betty's name today. I'm not bringing it up to pat myself on the back, but to offer a gentle reminder to anyone who might have forgotten about the #BettyWhiteChallenge (or didn't even hear about it to begin with).

What a sad/happy day, if you know what I mean. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, rubaco said:

I donated to 3 local animal shelters in Betty's name today. I'm not bringing it up to pat myself on the back, but to offer a gentle reminder to anyone who might have forgotten about the #BettyWhiteChallenge (or didn't even hear about it to begin with).

What a sad/happy day, if you know what I mean. 

Thanks for reminding me! I made a donation 🐶

• Love 5
On 1/18/2022 at 7:28 AM, Hiyo said:

272157577_2047493178749729_3038515153111

But I don't think this is accurate. Golden Girls debuted in 1985. Betty White and Bea Arthur were both born in 1922 so they  63ish when the show started. Estelle Getty was just a year younger. Rue was born in 1934 so she was only around 51, but the others were in their sixties. 

To Compare, SJP and Kristin Davis are 56 and Cynthia Nixon is 55. 

But, the point still remains that we see age vs youth differently now.

• Love 4

I agree - also I almost feel certain that Rose and Dorothy were at least 55 in Season 1 (and 42 for Blanche of course), while Sophia was 80. The only difference were the fashion trends, although doesn't everyone want to dress like a solid gold dancer going to a gay funeral in New Orleans with a Little House on the Prairie nightgown? ;) 

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
On 1/21/2022 at 7:30 PM, Eri said:

I agree - also I almost feel certain that Rose and Dorothy were at least 55 in Season 1 (and 42 for Blanche of course), while Sophia was 80. The only difference were the fashion trends, although doesn't everyone want to dress like a solid gold dancer going to a gay funeral in New Orleans with a Little House on the Prairie nightgown? ;) 

And a pilgrim dress for cruises.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1