Type keyword(s) to search

Golden Girls News (and Media): Better Late Than.... Pregnant!

• Start Topic

Aw, Estelle as the pioneer of allies of the gay community -- sweet.

That video was a great reminder of the societal context in which the show aired.  And a great summation of why the show resonated in a particular way within the gay community:  It's about a group of close-knit characters who formed a chosen family where everyone takes care of each other, characters with active sex lives that are responsible and recreational, not about starting a family, despite society having counted them out, and then there are more gay guest characters than was typical on television at the time, with dialogue explicitly defending equality, all presented by actors who supported their gay fans and the community at large in real life.

I don't think I'd ever heard before that "Isn't It Romantic?" did not come out of the writers' room, but was a spec script from an outside writer.  And I never realized Danny Thomas's son was one of the executive producers.  Now that joke is even funnier.

• Love 6

I saw the Forever Golden movie last night.  There were only four of us in the theater.  I blame poor marketing as I laughed for two straight hours.

The Competition, It's a Miserable Life, The Sisters, Scared Straight, Sisters of the Bride, The Case of the Libertine Bell were the episodes featured.

I had forgotten so many of the great lines!  "My mother had a stroke and it rendered her a complete burden."

• Love 3

I went, as well. There were probably 20 of us in the theater and we had a great time. It has been forever since I've watching my DVDs of the show and I had forgotten how much television cut from the episodes. It was great seeing the hilarious deleted scenes and lines again.

• Applause 3
  • Love 1
(edited)

Speaking of Sophia...I'm late by a few hours but...

Happy belated birthday Estelle Getty, you withered old Sicilian monkey! 😄

giphy.gif

Edited by Eri
  • Like 1
  • Love 7

As I posted in the Celebrity News thread, a three-day auction of a bunch of Betty White's stuff began today.  You can access the online catalogue here.  (If you're into animal figurines and other animal-themed decor, Betty has you covered!)

The GG stuff starts on page 592 of that online catalogue, and page 643 includes this gem from Rue.  She tore a Science Diet (pet food) ad Betty had done out of a magazine, and sent it to her with a note reading "Dear Betty, I was at the liquor store, leafing through a copy of 'Gang Dolls', when I came across this libelous picture of you.  I am writing the editor a nasty letter, because I will NEVER believe these are your true dimensions.* Your friend, Ruesy".

The * at the bottom of the letter: "Maybe if you lay off the Science Diet, you can lose a little by July.  xxxLove"

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
On 9/23/2022 at 3:17 PM, Bastet said:

As I posted in the Celebrity News thread, a three-day auction of a bunch of Betty White's stuff began today. 

The auction brought in a whopping $4 million, more than expected.  And GG items were extremely popular -- the scripts for the first and last episodes went for $50k each, one of her outfits worn on the show went for over $30k, and the best-selling item of the entire auction was White's director's chair from the set, which sold for over $76k -- 76 times the estimate.

• Mind Blown 2
  • Love 3

I suppose this is as good a place as any to post this. For anyone who wasn't aware, Hallmark is doing their Christmas Movie overload thing again this year, of course, and it will be starting Friday, October 20. So, if you get your Golden Girls fix on Hallmark in the mornings or evenings, Thursday, October 19 will be your last chance until January. 

32 minutes ago, BlancheDevoreaux said:

I suppose this is as good a place as any to post this. For anyone who wasn't aware, Hallmark is doing their Christmas Movie overload thing again this year, of course, and it will be starting Friday, October 20. So, if you get your Golden Girls fix on Hallmark in the mornings or evenings, Thursday, October 19 will be your last chance until January. 

At least GG is shown on other channels. Last year it meant my Monk fix was gone except for a few hours on Sundance in the early hours of Sunday. This year Cozi has started showing Monk weekday afternoons, so I won't go into complete withdrawal. With apologies to those who love the Hallmark sugar sweet squeaky-clean movies, blech!

On 1/26/2023 at 8:01 PM, One Tough Cookie said:

Blanche At the Rusty Anchor}  "It's a dog eat dog and I'm not wearing underwear"

Huh. Cheers almost used the same joke when Norm walked in (of course, after the requisite, "NOOOOOORM!"), and Sam asked Norm how it was going.

Norm's response?

"It's a dog-eat-dog world, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear!"

• LOL 3