Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E16: Conquer

HalcyonDays
  • Start Topic

I think the reason why specific horror stories like Terminus, the rape gang, and the Governor haven't been told is because these people wouldn't believe it. They can barely handle the idea that the world's a nasty place with Walkers salivating at the gate. I could see the ASZhats automatically dismissing the stories because they are so outside the realm of decent human behavior. Carol did call them children. You censor what you say in front of children. Don't cross the street without looking because it isn't safe is a lot more appropriate for children than "don't cross the street without looking because you'll get hit by a car and die with all your body parts flying across the road. Oh look, is that your brains over there?"

• Love 23

My longest-running problem with TWD has always been the dialogue. This is not how real people talk. The writers think they're being profound and capturing an older way of speaking that used to be more common in the south, but it just doesn't work. That meeting at the end was so damn frustrating because...no one talks like that. No one communicates in so many half sentences that are as vague as possible. "The things we've seen....terrible things....things you haven't seen..." Jesus. EXPLAIN. Tell them very specifically about the things, about Terminus and the Governor, tell them about how Grady operated, tell them about the biker gang that almost raped Carl. Tell them how Lori had to have her baby cut out of her and Carl had to put her down. Tell them about Noah's community and the Unfair Wolves. Tell them about how everyone is already infected. Use your words.

Thank you for saying what I have been thinking for weeks. Enough of the "they don't know what we have seen." Of course, they don't. They have been living in a gated community. So please tell them what you have seen! The Alexandrites may be naive but they aren't mind readers.

Instead, Abraham talks and uses the word shit twice in one sentence.

• Love 19

I have loved Lennie James since Jericho, so I am a happy camper to see him.

Same! I'm not sure if it was the Jericho influence or what, but the Wolf guy with Morgan during the first of the show looked a lot like Skeet Ulrich. 

That said, I kinda was underwhelmed by a lot of the show tonight. High spots for me:

-Morgan (of course)

-Cudlitz being as Cudlitz as I've seen him on this show (finally)

-Aaron/Daryl (come on now)

• Love 2

[real life (based on WD 'laws') OFF] Umm.  When Rick saw the gate open and figured walkers had got in, there was quite a bit of daylight left.  But when he met and dispatched said walkers, it was clearly dark.  So, we have to believe that between that length of time, the walkers didn't find the meeting place (with noise being made the whole time; talking, etc)?  Ohh-kay, I guess?...... [/real life back ON]

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 8

Snip...

I got, like embarrassingly emotional when I saw that. I cant even explain it, it just hit me HARD.

No joke. Same here. I swear it was almost like two lovers that had been separated for so long. Yes I know it's not exactly the same but that's just what it stirred in me for lack of a better analogy. These two men that essentially saved each other's lives when they were each at arguably their most broken. Rick when he woke up and had literally no one. And Morgan when he riding the crazy train in clear.

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 7

Thank you for saying what I have been thinking for weeks. Enough of the "they don't know what we have seen." Of course, they don't. They have been living in a gated community. So please tell them what you have seen! The Alexandrites may be naive but they aren't mind readers.

Instead, Abraham talks and uses the word shit twice in one sentence.

THEY ATE OUR FRIEND'S LEG IN FRONT OF HIM!!! It drives me crazy they don't tell them this.

Edited by TexasChic
  • Love 13

Weren't we supposed to be screaming at our TVs? I got bored and started reading a Nora Roberts book on kindle. I suppose were supposed to wonder if Pete did something to Carl and Judith? Eh, that wasn't much if a shocking episode at all. Chevy Chase got his throat slit and Pete got shot.

• Love 3

Weren't we supposed to be screaming at our TVs?

I was screaming at my TV fairly often. 

-Joy of seeing Morgan and him actually speaking lines and stuff

-Fear of Glenn dying,

-fear of Daryl and Aaron dying,

-Fear of Father Pee Pants not dying

-Fear of Sasha going further into crazytown

-Fear that Morgan was going off on his own again

-Joy when Morgan showed Daryl Rick's map

-Joy when Morgan and Rick saw each other at long last

• Love 12

I KNOW. There's no social media in the ZA so ENOUGH WITH THE VAGUEBOOKING.

"Well, we were once lured into a systematic human slaughterhouse under the pretense of sanctuary."

"...Led by a fucking cannibal hipster."

"...who ate my boyfriend."

"This was only a couple of days after bandits threatened to gang rape my girlfriend and young son in front of me."

"We had our own place until this crazy eyepatch guy literally drove into it with a tank and then set it on fire."

"We rescued this incontinent I mean incompetent priest who is a lot like you in that he can't handle one decrepit ass walker, did I mentioned he abandoned his congregation?"

JUST PUT IT ALL OUT THERE

YEEEEESSSS! This bugged me so much.

• Love 4

While that was seriously stressful tv for me, I was pleased to see none of our gang die.  IMO, we've had enough death of our people and was happy it didn't go down that way.  I didn't find it boring at all. I really enjoyed the idea that our folks had choices to make when it came to taking the lives of others.  Compelling.

Michonne (and obviously, DG) is my homegirl.  I will follow her anywhere.  Her conversations with Ric and her post credit wordless scene were all amazing.  I was both happy to see her pick the katana up (kickass!) and sad because I know she wanted to leave it on the mantle.  You can tell Ric puts a great deal of trust in her and the feeling is clearly mutual. 

Morgan is so cool.  His Jedi-ness was badass.

I mean, the Wolves are clearly bad, bad people, but I already feel like Rick and the crew got this shit.

• Love 8
Michonne + Katana= OTP

Yes, yes and a wholehearted yes!

Sasha pointing gun at FPP:

Me: "SHOOT HIM!"

I really wish FPP was dead. What a terrible terrible person (but great actor)

Glenn beating the shit out of Nicholas.

ME: "Punch him!!

Glenn pointing the gun at Nicholas's forehead.

Me: "Shoot Him!"

Morgan is back - love it. Lennie James is a Brit?? Why on earth are my favourite actors all Brits!

Why didn't Maggie explain FPP's sin's to the group. She remained silent.

Crazy Rick shows up, once again covered in blood carrying a Walker. My first thought is, if I was Deanna, I would have thought Rick deliberately did this to "prove" his worth.

Loved the talk between Michonne and Rick.

So Deanna is perfectly fine with wife-beating Pete, because he was "important" as a doctor, but the moment her hubby is killed, the doctor is no longer needed, apparently, all bets are off, and she immediately asks Rick to kill Pete. How convenient. And typical.

And no matter where Rick Grimes and company go, misery, death and chaos soon follow.

• Love 9

I KNOW. There's no social media in the ZA so ENOUGH WITH THE VAGUEBOOKING.

"Well, we were once lured into a systematic human slaughterhouse under the pretense of sanctuary."

"...Led by a fucking cannibal hipster."

"...who ate my boyfriend."

"This was literally days after bandits threatened to gang rape my girlfriend and young son in front of me."

"We had our own place until this crazy eyepatch guy literally drove into it with a tank and then set it on fire."

"We rescued this incontinent I mean incompetent priest who is a lot like you in that he can't handle one decrepit ass walker, did I mentioned he abandoned his congregation?"

JUST PUT IT ALL OUT THERE

So we killed them all is how those stories end, I wouldn't want to be telling a group of sheltered book club members those stories either.

I took the red poncho guy as a red shirt.   What confuses me about the wolves is.... why?  Why set traps to kill random people?  Do they ever recruit people into the pack or just kill everyone they come in contact with?  Why the unfair wolves tagging?  They leave a place a spray paint that they are not far?  Makes little sense to me.  Are they just trying to develop a reputation?  Reminds me of the robbers in Home Alone that left the kitchen sinks on, to leave a calling card.

I'm afraid waiting until what, October for Glen to come out of those woods with Dickolous is going to give me an ulcer.

Morgan! Morgan! Morgan!

I was screaming at my TV for Sasha to kill FPP, I don't think I've ever hated a character as much as I hate him.

• Love 5

Whew. That finale was INTENSE. I had diligently avoided anything remotely like a spoiler, so I was absolutely CERTAIN that we'd lose someone I cared about tonight. (I was starting to have a little fondness for Reg, but that doesn't count.)

Part of me wonders if Carol didn't deliberately cock and load Pete as a weapon. She knows what abusive men are like, she knows what it takes to send them over the edge into full mania. I find myself thinking she was hoping to send Pete into a blind rage for the very purpose of him going off on the community and proving their point for them (and hopefully making him very much dead in the process). 

• Love 17

I'm so happy that Lennie James is back. I love Lennie James. I love that he just pops up in things in the UK and the US. You just turn on a show and all the sudden Lennie James shows up and he is fabulous. Morgan better stick around for more than one episode this time. If the black man exchange program is still in place, this must mean that Gabriel is going to die. That's how it works, right?

I'm annoyed at Glen's niceness. It does show a level of decency and conscience, but this is the zombie apocalypse and ain't nobody got time for that! Did he learn nothing from the Terminus debacle? (Rick: We gotta go and kill all those bastards that just tried to eat us! Glen et al: NO! We've had enough. Let's run and hope for the best.) How the hell did that work out? They no longer live in a world where you can let a mortal enemy go.

The Wolves are a bunch of dicks. How does any of this get fun? Don't they know that they'll eventually run out of people? Then what will they do? Are they personally trying to make sure the human race ends?

I liked Rick and Michonne's heart to heart. It's good that he knows Michonne will always be in his corner. Even if he is wrong, she'll be there to back him up. Carol was a total jerk this episode. She was a terrible friend to Rick. He was very vulnerable and needed her to be legit and not keep pressing her own agenda. She failed. It was interesting to see how different the conversation was between Michonne and Carl.

• Love 5

I don't understand what Pete was talking about when he kept saying "This is him!  This is him!" at the end.

I also didn't know where Deanna was sending her son when she said, "GO!"  Rick had just told them the gate was left open and walkers got in.  Did she think maybe Rick hadn't closed the gate after he noticed it was open?

I wonder if anyone around the firepit will remember that Reg is about to zombify and his semi-detached head is likely to chomp Deanna on the leg.

• Love 5

I don't understand what Pete was talking about when he kept saying "This is him!  This is him!" at the end.

I also didn't know where Deanna was sending her son when she said, "GO!"  Rick had just told them the gate was left open and walkers got in.  Did she think maybe Rick hadn't closed the gate after he noticed it was open?

I wonder if anyone around the firepit will remember that Reg is about to zombify and his semi-detached head is likely to chomp Deanna on the leg.

I guess he was saying it was all Rick's fault. Kudos to you for even hearing what he said. 

I guess she was sending Spencer to be on watch.

Nope.  Pete and Reg both got the "In Memoriam" treatment on Talking Dead.

I saw that - but I don't discount the possibility of Production misdirection either. :) 

Until they show it in TWD, I don't take it as fact.

• Love 3

I wasn't thrilled with those fireside feelings scenes, but I will say I did like seeing the juxtaposition of Carol here, vouching for Rick and his strength, with the end of season 2, the fire at night, when she told the group he sucked as a leader and they needed to start over. Sometimes it's hard to believe they're the same characters.

• Love 8
I wasn't thrilled with those fireside feelings scenes

Reminded me a lot of Woodbury and their little late night zombie wrestling fights.

I saw that - but I don't discount the possibility of Production misdirection either. :)

Until they show it in TWD, I don't take it as fact.

I first thought that Deanna was asking Rick to shoot her husband, because she knew if he died, he would turn to a Walker, then I was like "How the hell does she KNOW that for sure."

But Rick turned away from Deanna (who was cradling her husband) and fired a shot - so I think definitely Pete.

On first viewing, I didn't catch that the poor guy whose throat was slit by the Wolves, was Red Poncho Guy that Daryl and Aaron were tracking. Poor guy. What is their motive? To guard the cannery by creating an army of Walkers? Because like everyone else in Walking Dead land, anyone outside of CBD are bloody "cray-cray" (tm Lennie James)

These Wolves don't have any bullets!!!! How tough can they be????

Deanna has to kill / exile FPP for leaving the gate open.

Zombies = Terminators because dogs know ......

Rick should offer Deanna the option of blowing Reg away herself

Glenn is keeping douchebag as a human shield.

• Love 2

How excited was I to see Lennie James' Morgan tonight??  This might or might not have been a frighteningly accurate depiction of my inner fanboy reaction to the 3 times he appeared on screen in Conquer;

giphy.gif

Edited by iRarelyWatchTV36
  • Love 22

Wasn't a fan of everyone sitting around singing the praises of St.Rick. What a joke, almost entirely the people he lead ends up dead. He's gone nuts right now and when Shane went nuts, Rick insisted on talking him out, but Rick they sit around and praise? 

Maybe Morgan and bring Rick back to some sanity. He looked pretty shocked and he's probably appalled at Rick there all bloodied up and executing a human in front of a bunch of humans. 

Of course Glenn survived. 

I wish Sasha would have taken the shot.

• Love 2

So Deanna is perfectly fine with wife-beating Pete, because he was "important" as a doctor, but the moment her hubby is killed, the doctor is no longer needed, apparently, all bets are off, and she immediately asks Rick to kill Pete. How convenient. And typical.

Yes, and poor Glenn might be looking forward to finding said doctor, now that he's been shot.

• Love 7

Morgan had some smooth moves but the dude on LOST did the killer walking stick first.

Not before my man, Donatello (R.I.P.)!

I badly wanted Spencer to say "Okay, Butchie, instead!" when his mom shooed him back to the gate.

Edited by Tandaemonium
  • Love 2

Maybe Morgan and bring Rick back to some sanity. He looked pretty shocked and he's probably appalled at Rick there all bloodied up and executing a human in front of a bunch of humans. 

I don't even really like Chris Hardwick or Talking Dead, but I always get some insights about the show.  Lenny said that Morgan had honked the horn to make sure there were no walkers around who might come and finish off the wolves.  OH.  I thought he made noise to attract walkers for that very purpose.

If Morgan's all pro-life to that extent, he and Rick are definitely going to have an idealogical conflict.

Not to mention the bajillionth example of sparing villains now = good people die later.  (Starting with Poncho.)

• Love 10

Wasn't a fan of everyone sitting around singing the praises of St.Rick. What a joke, almost entirely the people he lead ends up dead. He's gone nuts right now and when Shane went nuts, Rick insisted on talking him out, but Rick they sit around and praise?

I get the group's loyalty to Rick even though I'm not his biggest fan. I was at least glad that Michonne, Glenn and Carl weren't crazy about his takeover plan.
  • Love 2

While the "one new black man joins, one has to die/leave" rule is just wrong...I am praying that Gabriel's days are numbered now that Morgan is here.

As for Morgan...yeah, still not getting a boner over him.

Now that the show is done for a few months, what will I hate-watch now?

• Love 1

I don't mind the whole group praising Rick. He has kept them alive, after all. Plus, the fire side chat council were about to evict him. Group solidarity and such.

And Rick might be crazy, but he gets results. Even if he has been screwing up a lot with this whole Lifetime movie thing.  

Edited by tennisgurl
  • Love 7

Well, to be fair to Rick, I think he only killed Shane because he was pretty sure by that point that Shane was about to kill him.

I think there was a great deal of genuine loyalty to Rick, but I also think in some cases it was self-preservation. They must have known if Rick was banished, their own cards were marked. 

• Love 3

I think a really big part of the "sticking up for Rick" thing by CDB is if he is given the boot, what's to stop them from kicking me or us out next?!

Its solidarity, sure, but despite all the 'team talks', its still an "every human for themself" world.

• Love 4

Best Walking Dead season finale ever!! I was on edge so many times! 

- So worried for Morgan then so thrilled with how he dispatched those two Wolves - awesome stick skills! He should've killed them, though!

- So worried for Glenn then so relieved to see him okay (I don't know how he got out of that situation!), whew! I knew he would spare that coward Nicholas; hopefully Nicholas got some sense knocked into him. Love Glenn and his undying humanity!

- So worried for Daryl and Aaron - for a second I was really worried since Norman Reedus was going to be a guest on TD (but I didn't really think they'd get rid of Daryl, they just couldn't do that!)! But Morgan saves the day - awesome x 2!

- So happy to see Morgan and Rick back together again! Wonder what was going through Morgan's mind in that last scene, heh!

- So pissed off at that useless sack of sh*t, Father Gabriel, ugh! Did he intentionally let the gate slide back open or is he just that stupid? But on the other hand, it was sort of good, in a way, that those walkers came in and gave Rick the opportunity to show the Alexandrianites first hand the real threat out there. Now maybe they'll wake up and listen to Rick and his group.

I really liked Rick's speech to the group at the end. I was worried he had gone too far after the last episode, but it feels like good Rick is back now and ready to be a leader again. I don't know what's in store with those Wolves next season, but I'm sure it'll be intense. (I don't read the comics so I'm not spoiled in any way).

Argh, can't wait till next season!  Ahhhhhhh!

• Love 2
Will somebody please eat one of Carol's casseroles? For crying out loud!

The previous couple weeks and this episode, all I could think was "YOU'RE WASTING FOOD!!" There aren't any decently stocked grocery stores to go get supplies for another tuna casserole. Idiots.

So pissed off at that useless sack of sh*t, Father Gabriel, ugh! Did he intentionally let the gate slide back open or is he just that stupid?

He's that stupid. He's so selfish and self-absorbed and messed up that he really didn't pay attention to the gate, because it's all about him and his drama and feelings and Woe-Iz-Me bullshit, that he doesn't think. And now I can't remember the exact words, but when he had his righteous freakout with Sasha, and said something to her like "you guys will get us all killed." I'm yelling at the TV going, "WTF You're the one who is going to get everyone killed!"

• Love 19

That was it? What was the extra half hour for? Nothing happened tonight that couldn't have been done in the regular hour. There was nothing shocking about this episode at all, & now we know we're going to have to deal with crazies again next season since they've got the wolves all lined up & ready to go. Been there, done that.

• Love 12