Type keyword(s) to search

S30.E06: Odd Woman Out

Tara Ariano
  • Start Topic

Who is Nina?? LOL. You can see how much I am paying attention this season.

It's pretty messed up that you forgot Nina.  She's always being excluded, forgotten, ignored... have some empathy. 

Jenn?  Really?  Jenn who seems to be top of her alliance, has the hidden immunity idol, and is totally killing it in every challenge?

Agreed- I can see Jen getting far.  She's smarter than she lets on, and it seems she allows Hali to take the more prominent/outward role in their obvious-NCBFF-alliance which makes Hali the more attractive vote-off of the two.  I've liked Jen since she did her horse race of "Who's more annoying?" re: Shirin and Max.  "But oh no wait, here comes Max with his foot wart" is the confessional of the season for me, so far.

On that note, an interview with Max from Reality TV World:

Reality TV World: (Laughs) I assume it's safe to say you were blindsided. Did it shock you watching the episode back and seeing what your tribemates said about you? They kept repeating the vote came down to "who's more annoying." What was your reaction to that and does it change your opinion of anyone?

Max Dawson: Well, Shirin is clearly much more annoying than I am. I can say that in full confidence, and so in that respect, I think that might've been a little bit of a red herring.

• Love 8

Rodney's claim that he spent all night and all day coming up with The Plan and then watching Mike's wtf face, "And that shitty plan is what you got?" You have to think that anyone who really is there to play the game and not just get themselves on tv is spending night and day coming up with plans. Maybe this is Rodney's first time - for thinking . . . . at night. I mean no hot babes around trying to lower their standards. By sleeping with Rodney.

• Love 4

Totally agree with this marys1000  --I have a bad tendency to tunnel vision when I have to concentrate like on that memorization challenge.  Mike talking to me would be like a fly buzzing around.  It would totally ruin my game but I wouldn't even understand what he said the first time.  I absolutely get why his talking to her totally threw her and it took awile to split some focus from trying win the memorization game.

I would have been telling him to shut up and not listening at all. I would like to think I would have done better but you never know.

Joe sitting back and waiting for people to come to him was probably the best thing he could do at that point. Tyler waiting around seemed like poor play to me.

I don't think we can just count up the BCs and WCs any more and call them a bloc because other than the NCs I don't think there is any solid initial tribe loyalty.

• Love 1

Great episode.  It is so late and I am supposed to wake up so early, so just a couple reactions from me.

To each her own, but Joe has a long way to go before he's in Malcolm's league for me.  Malcolm has personality, and in my opinion a better eye for the game.  I'm not sure Joe would have teamed up with Denise.  I do like Joe and I think people are wrong to say he's too passive--he didn't have the eye to see that he could work on splitting up the blue collars (and ally with someone not young) but he did have the sense to seize the moment when it was presented to him.

Jenn?  Really?  Jenn who seems to be top of her alliance, has the hidden immunity idol, and is totally killing it in every challenge?

I think Jen's social game kinda sucks outside of people her own age. She is very insular and immature and I think it will cost her eventually. But you're right that she is no worse than Carolyn who is equally as - if no  more - abrasive.

• Love 1

It's true, neither left-to-right or right-to-left are intrinsically "forwards" (Westerners are just biased to think that L-to-R is forwards)...but in this challenge, there was a small advantage in going L-to-R, because the players were supposed to step on a mat on the right after finishing.

Westerners are biased this way because we read left to right, unlike some Asian cultures that read right to left.

• Love 1

I still say Sierra's vote was more to save Joe than to break up the bromance. 

I agree, sorta. There's an extra vid with Sierra talking about how Mike/Dan want to get rid of Joaquin and how the others want to get rid of Rodney, so she was initially under the mistaken impression that Joaquin/Tyler/Joe were together and would get rid of Rodney, in which case there's no doubt really that she would have sided with them and booted Rodney. I think once she realized the vote was Joe vs. Joaquin, she decided it'd be better to stick with the devil she knows than go with new people who want to vote out someone she likes. I don't know for sure if it being Joe was the big influence or if it was really just that Rodney wasn't gonna go so might as well stick with her old tribe.

Reality TV World: (Laughs) I assume it's safe to say you were blindsided. Did it shock you watching the episode back and seeing what your tribemates said about you? They kept repeating the vote came down to "who's more annoying." What was your reaction to that and does it change your opinion of anyone?

Max Dawson: Well, Shirin is clearly much more annoying than I am. I can say that in full confidence, and so in that respect, I think that might've been a little bit of a red herring.

To the poster who was asking why I found Max insufferable here is Exhibit A.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 4

I could be wrong but I read that from Max as sarcasm.  He also refers to some people in his interviews as "calm, cool and collective", which tells me he's just pretty irreverent.  He had great things to say about Shirin so I don't think he truly was insulting her.  

Jenn seems like a fan to me.  Nina, not so much.  I think she was recruited.  She shares a hairdresser with someone else from the Survivor universe is how she got on their radar, I think.  She didn't seem to understand the first thing about playing Survivor.  

She didn't seem to understand the first thing about playing Survivor.  

Some fans don't. Max didn't either and he's a superfan.

It seems to me that a good amount of them are some degree of fan. Max and Shirin are obviously insane superfans. Jenn seems like a huge fan that just doesn't come to message boards/analyze promos and whatnot like all us nerds here. Dan, Mike, and Joe are viewers at the very least.

Edited by peachmangosteen
  • Love 2

Jenn seems like a fan to me.  Nina, not so much.  I think she was recruited.  She shares a hairdresser with someone else from the Survivor universe is how she got on their radar, I think.  She didn't seem to understand the first thing about playing Survivor.  

Nina WAS recruited but she also a member of POS and followed RHAP for years. She's a fan . . . . who doesn't understand the first thing about playing Survivor.

That was the lamest immunity challenge ever. Mike has to throw the game three times in a row for Kelly to win. Sheesh.

But it had everyone in our living room in stitches. We were hoping Mike would flip out and start yelling at Kelly in his football coach voice to help him throw the challenge. At times Survivor becomes a reality sitcom. 

• Love 5

Sierra has done numerous confessionals about the sexist crap in her camp that the producers have presumably seen. So, what do the producers via Jeff use to describe her situation? That she's the "girlfriend" of the blue collar tribe (eww) being "wooed" by the new guys.

Hey, Jeff -- can Sierra vote you out?

Trust in Jeff Probst to feel he has to Mansplain things to a woman on the show.

• Love 5

Nina WAS recruited but she also a member of POS and followed RHAP for years. She's a fan . . . . who doesn't understand the first thing about playing Survivor.

I don't know what POS is.  Where did Nina claim to follow RHAP for years?  I listened to her exit interview on RHAP and she never mentioned being a fan or having listened, iirc.  She was kind of dismissive to Rob.  

I think Max played fine and understood the game fine.  You just can't control your edit or the other players, not 100% anyway.  He had hoped to keep his Survivor knowledge under wraps, for example, but he was outed before his plane even landed there, so he had a target on his back from the start.  It probably made better tv to act like he was voted out for being annoying than for being a superfan/expert.  

Jeff comments about thrown challenges in this-

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/03/25/survivor-host-jeff-probst-why-players-no-longer-get-drunk

Edited by Guest

I don't know what POS is.  Where did Nina claim to follow RHAP for years?  I listened to her exit interview on RHAP and she never mentioned being a fan or having listened, iirc.  She was kind of dismissive to Rob.  

"That's nice."

It was Rob himself who disclosed that Nina contacted him long ago for transcripts of his podcasts for the hearing impaired.

POS is a facebook group that some former Survivors are regular members of. They consider Nina and Max representatives of their group.

I think Max played fine and understood the game fine.  You just can't control your edit or the other players, not 100% anyway.  He had hoped to keep his Survivor knowledge under wraps, for example, but he was outed before his plane even landed there, so he had a target on his back from the start.  It probably made better tv to act like he was voted out for being annoying than for being a superfan/expert.  

Did we watch the same Max?

I won't say I haven't seen worse, but I do think he's somewhere in the worst 10% in terms of playing the game I've seen over the years.

As for Max being recognized, how did that affect anything?  From the way things were described (unless we got a pack of edited lies), So didn't out who Max really was, and her warning about him on her exit was no more specific than any disgruntled person leaving.  And even if it HAD leaked, Max is the one who clearly arrogantly carried on like he was in charge when that flew in the face of the reality of the situation on the tribe.  He was just freaking CLUELESS about the real dynamics of the tribe seemingly.  So no. He didn't play or understand the game fine.  Practically not at all, IMO.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 5

Come to think of it, it IS surprising we didn't see any votes for "Wakeen"![...]

Of course not... Rodney wouldn't vote for his bro!

[...]Rodney says he and Joaquin are like apples and oranges, LOL. Rodney, that idiom does not mean what you think it means.[...]

You know, the root of the word Miller is a Greek word. Miller come from the Greek word "milo," which is mean "apple," so there you go. As many of you know, our name, Portokalos, is come from the Greek word "portokali," which mean "orange." So, okay? Here tonight, we have, ah, apple and orange. We all different, but in the end, we all fruit.

• Love 10

It is no wonder that Joaquin and Rodney got along so well. In Rob Has a Podcast he swears a lot and claims that Mike was upset because Joaquin stole his "hot piece of ass". Three times

Yeah, I am thrilled that he is gone

At least Rob asked if Sierra likes being called a "hot piece of ass"

Casting went all out to find the misogynists for the show

• Love 5

"That's nice."

What's that supposed to mean?  Is that a way of being dismissive?  Why the quotes?  Are you thinking it in a Church Lady voice or something?  

I'll take your word for it, Nina was a fan.  She was one of the worst players I've ever seen, though.  She was in deep disguise, if she'd watched many seasons.  

Kromm- Max said So didn't out him but threatened to, so he just came clean to everyone at the outset rather than lying.  

Kromm- Max said So didn't out him but threatened to, so he just came clean to everyone at the outset rather than lying.  

Okay, but I still don't get how that leads to a conclusion he played fine or was doomed specifically because he was discovered.  Again, unless the edit is misleading us majorly (certain at least possible).  What the edit APPEARS to show us is a total lack of awareness from him that he's on the outs with most of the tribe.  It at least implies he was deluded and had zero ability to "read the room" so to speak. If that's fiction peddled by the show, then his alternate version of reality also better explain why the edit also didn't show any real attempts by him to change his behavior or get other people on his side.  He just seemed to be assuming they already were.

• Love 3

What's that supposed to mean?  Is that a way of being dismissive?  Why the quotes?  Are you thinking it in a Church Lady voice or something?  

I was using quotes bc I was quoting Nina. It's what she said when Hali told her that she had a blister. To me, it symbolizes Nina's disassociation. I hope that makes sense.Wasn't trying to be dismissive.

• Love 1
As for Max being recognized, how did that affect anything?  From the way things were described (unless we got a pack of edited lies), So didn't out who Max really was ...

I don't understand this. Is Max somebody? I thought he was just a former college professor who bombed out at Northwestern, probably because he teaches gut classes about reality TV.

• Love 1

I was using quotes bc I was quoting Nina. It's what she said when Hali told her that she had a blister. To me, it symbolizes Nina's disassociation. I hope that makes sense.Wasn't trying to be dismissive.

Oh good!  Haha, glad I asked.  I recall Nina telling Hali(en), "It's my HEEL, not my ankle!"  Which was stupid.  Hali was trying to be nice.  

Okay, but I still don't get how that leads to a conclusion he played fine or was doomed specifically because he was discovered.  Again, unless the edit is misleading us majorly (certain at least possible).  What the edit APPEARS to show us is a total lack of awareness from him that he's on the outs with most of the tribe.  It at least implies he was deluded and had zero ability to "read the room" so to speak. If that's fiction peddled by the show, then his alternate version of reality also better explain why the edit also didn't show any real attempts by him to change his behavior or get other people on his side.  He just seemed to be assuming they already were.

Eh, I choose to believe the editors usually take a normal person (who has shades of gray) and pick one tiny attribute (usually a 'black' one) and magnify it 1000 times to make them far more interesting and chat-worthy than they are.  We saw Jenn and one other person (forget her name) call him annoying, right?  I think I'd be calling everyone out there annoying after 3 days, even my alliance mates and best pals.  We see such a tiny, tiny fraction of their game.  Not seeing him scramble doesn't tell me he didn't.  We don't see the hours of fruitless idol hunting, either, or what must be hours of talk about past seasons among the fan players.  (I wish we did, on that latter.)

fishcakes- I don't think Max is 'somebody' so much as just a SUPERfan, which is reason enough to vote him out.  He didn't want people to know he studies Survivor.  

I feel sorry for all the innocent fish that were killed in a sweaty brown oil slick when Dan's underwear floated out to sea.

Whoever was calling his underpants a banana hammock should have said gherkin hammock. Not that you'd ever see that gherkin in the first place because it lives under an enormous mountain of fat and is further hidden by a dense tangle of gray orangutan pubes.

The only thing grosser would be having to sit on a blanket with him while drinking hot chocolate and eating mac & cheese.

I literally choked on the banana I was eating when I read this, but I forgive you because this was the funniest thing I've read in some time.

Nina WAS recruited but she also a member of POS and followed RHAP for years.

Now I know what POS is, thanks to a subsequent post...but RHAP?

How is it possible that the other players did not observe Mike and Kelly talking during that challenge?  I demand an explanation. 

Also Jeff was notably silent about it too, when he clearly was in a position to hear/see.

I'm getting the feeling that Jeff doesn't really care so much.  I think he over-hyped this season and it hasn't lived up to his expectations.  Every season has its share of clowns, but this one seems to have an overabundance of idiots.  I'm sure when we see the updated season rankings by Probst, this one will be near the bottom.

Edited by Dobian
  • Love 1

The lack of anyone giving her the reactions she's probably looking for?  The lack of smiles or laughter?  The stone cold stares?  Nobody talking to her except Max? Nobody joining in her ideas of 'fun'?  I mean, come on.

Clearly - Shirin lacks self-awareness. That's a given. And maybe her tribe mates shouldn't have to tell her "Hey - knock off the singing. Put on some pants." Fair point. But to just bitch about her behind her back is passive-aggressive. I mean, they obviously realize she lacks self-awareness. Are they just being polite? That doesn't seem to be an inherent quality in some of her tribe mates. If they did ask her to stop with the singing and the walking around pants-less, and she refused, then she deserves every bit of scorn they give her. But if nobody spoke up and told her what she was doing was annoying some of them, they really have only themselves to blame.

Totally agree with this marys1000  --I have a bad tendency to tunnel vision when I have to concentrate like on that memorization challenge.  Mike talking to me would be like a fly buzzing around.  It would totally ruin my game but I wouldn't even understand what he said the first time.  I absolutely get why his talking to her totally threw her and it took awile to split some focus from trying win the memorization game.

I would have been telling him to shut up and not listening at all. I would like to think I would have done better but you never know.

Joe sitting back and waiting for people to come to him was probably the best thing he could do at that point. Tyler waiting around seemed like poor play to me.

I don't think we can just count up the BCs and WCs any more and call them a bloc because other than the NCs I don't think there is any solid initial tribe loyalty.

I've seen some comments about Joe's lack of strategy this episode, but I agree that he tried everything he could.  Considering it was all about the short-lived bromance and blindside, I'm not surprised he just got pushed to the back as an afterthought in the episode.  Tyler, I don't even know.  He gets played up big by those that knew him out there, but we haven't seen any of that yet.  Maybe he's just a boring nice guy that doesn't have a lot of game.

I believe that Mike/Dan/Kelly, Carolyn/Tyler, and Joe/Jenn/Hali will remain tight after the merge.  Rodney, Shirin, Sierra, and even Will can be wild cards.  I think Will will vote with whatever alliance is going to get him farthest.  Stick with the NC for now, but maybe jump ship later on if someone needs his vote.  I don't see C/T breaking up, but I suppose it is possible if neither of them want to go with the other's new alliance.  I wish we had gotten to see more dynamics out there with the other tribes, because it seemed like Carolyn/Tyler were a lot tighter than they showed.  And I'm curious where Mike's greater loyalty lies; I thought it would be Dan, but I think he'd sacrifice him to save Kelly if it came down to it.

Seeing Nina's name brought up makes me so happy that Will voted with the other 3 and not her and Vince.  I'm liking this season just fine, but those two around would have taken my interest way down.  Though curiosity has the better of me how Vince would have interacted with the other tribes out there had he survived to the switch/merge.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 2

Clearly - Shirin lacks self-awareness. That's a given. And maybe her tribe mates shouldn't have to tell her "Hey - knock off the singing. Put on some pants." Fair point. But to just bitch about her behind her back is passive-aggressive. I mean, they obviously realize she lacks self-awareness. Are they just being polite? That doesn't seem to be an inherent quality in some of her tribe mates. If they did ask her to stop with the singing and the walking around pants-less, and she refused, then she deserves every bit of scorn they give her. But if nobody spoke up and told her what she was doing was annoying some of them, they really have only themselves to blame.

I am trying to remember the times people complained about Shirin - was it while they talked with each other or during talking heads?  If it were during the talking heads, they may have just been responding to questions like "Who do you find most annoying on your tribe"  "What does Shirin do that annoys you?"  "What does Caroline do that annoys you?" They could have been asked what was a annoying about each of their tribemates, then the only showed us what they said about Shirin.  

• Love 3

It will be interesting to see how the alliances break down in the next couple of episodes.  I think that at least initially Carolyn/Tyler might be expected to be more inclined to side with the former NC over the former BC simply because Carolyn lined up with the former NC on her new tribe, while the former BC just voted out their ally.  But Carolyn and Tyler seem like the types to jump whichever way seems more convenient in the moment.

Another interesting question is whether Joe will be able to swing Sierra over to their side as well.  That would given them 7 votes and it wouldn't matter what Rodney or Shirin do.

• Love 1

I'm getting the feeling that Jeff doesn't really care so much.  I think he over-hyped this season and it hasn't lived up to his expectations.  Every season has its share of clowns, but this one seems to have an overabundance of idiots.  I'm sure when we see the updated season rankings by Probst, this one will be near the bottom.

I was looking forward to this season and it has been a big let down in almost every regard. I don't like any of the players, the challenges are so damn lame, and the same location is boring as hell.

It doesn't seem like much effort is being put into production on all levels. I'm hoping that it gets a little more interesting in the next few episodes and someone show a little personality.

It's also possible that Kelly, knowing she's currently comfortable on her tribe, wanted no part in communicating publicly with Mike.  She knew she was safe if her tribe lost, and she may have found it a foolish risk that he would so publicly throw a challenge.  I can't see any other reason that she was so obtuse.  Other than the probable untreated concussion that she has. 

I agree, sorta. There's an extra vid with Sierra talking about how Mike/Dan want to get rid of Joaquin and how the others want to get rid of Rodney, so she was initially under the mistaken impression that Joaquin/Tyler/Joe were together and would get rid of Rodney, in which case there's no doubt really that she would have sided with them and booted Rodney. I think once she realized the vote was Joe vs. Joaquin, she decided it'd be better to stick with the devil she knows than go with new people who want to vote out someone she likes. I don't know for sure if it being Joe was the big influence or if it was really just that Rodney wasn't gonna go so might as well stick with her old tribe.

To the poster who was asking why I found Max insufferable here is Exhibit A.

I wonder if they think she deliberately set them up.  Sierra came to them and started bitching about how much she hates her old tribe.  As she was talking, I was wondering if they would suspect her of spying.  For her to turn around and vote with that old tribe, I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it was all an act.   She better hope that Tyler doesn't fill Mike/Dan in on what Sierra was saying.

• Love 1

It's also possible that Kelly, knowing she's currently comfortable on her tribe, wanted no part in communicating publicly with Mike.  She knew she was safe if her tribe lost, and she may have found it a foolish risk that he would so publicly throw a challenge.  I can't see any other reason that she was so obtuse.  Other than the probable untreated concussion that she has. 

I wonder if they think she deliberately set them up.  Sierra came to them and started bitching about how much she hates her old tribe.  As she was talking, I was wondering if they would suspect her of spying.  For her to turn around and vote with that old tribe, I wouldn't be surprised if they thought it was all an act.   She better hope that Tyler doesn't fill Mike/Dan in on what Sierra was saying.

Given Sierra's confessionals, I'd find it hard to believe she was setting up the other 3 guys on her tribe.  At the very least Joe would know she wasn't, because Mike and Dan did tell him she was on the outs and that they had had a blow up with her.  So maybe Tyler and Joaquin felt she set them up.  I really don't expect her to vote along her old tribe lines, unless she considers it a strategic move.  But I don't think she'll be voting with them forever.  However, Sierra's downfall may be putting herself in the middle too much and making herself a threat because she's undecided every time.  She did vote to save Joe, so she at least likely has him as an ally.  And that's where I think that vote came from, especially since the other 3 guys seemed to ignore him.  She may have liked Joaquin, but he had Rodney baggage.

I don't typically agree with Jeff anyway when he thinks a season is the best.  I do think this season is good and am really looking forward to next week.  However, there's a bunch of different potential outcomes that will make it go downhill very fast for me.  Since he's seen how the season plays out, I can see why he'd overhype it.  But he obviously doesn't know what the fan reaction is going to be until it plays out.  I can actually see why he likes this season.

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Love 3

I was looking forward to this season and it has been a big let down in almost every regard. I don't like any of the players, the challenges are so damn lame, and the same location is boring as hell.

It doesn't seem like much effort is being put into production on all levels. I'm hoping that it gets a little more interesting in the next few episodes and someone show a little personality.

I am really enjoying this season so far.  There have been moments of hilarity in almost every episode, some great blindsides and plenty of fodder for wild speculation and armchair psychology.  The social dynamics this season have been so interesting that I don't even care about the challenges.  To each their own, I guess.

• Love 6

And I'm curious where Mike's greater loyalty lies; I thought it would be Dan, but I think he'd sacrifice him to save Kelly if it came down to it.

There's an extra vid from this ep with Mike talking about throwing the challenge and how a big part of it was to save Kelly, that's 'his alliance,' how they're tighter than anyone knows, etc. so I think Mike puts Kelly above Dan in his order for sure. He's very lucky to have two people who do whatever he wants, are dumb, and that he could very easily beat.

As I had predicted about Carolyn, with Joaquin leaving she finds herself in a poor 3 people alliance, from which one person (Shirin) is very likely to flip cause of Carolyn voting out her only ally and friend Max, betraying herself AND talking to her "badly" about it. Very bad gameplay by Carolyn who should now work like crazy to fit in another alliance soon, but even if she does she will still be number 5 or 6. If she had done as I had thought, voting out Kelly and then possibly Jenn, now she would be in a strong 5 people alliance, having weakened both red and blue collar tribe.

• Love 2
But if nobody spoke up and told her what she [shirin] was doing was annoying some of them, they really have only themselves to blame.

As I see it, if there might be even just one Tribal Council you go to before the merge, it's great to have an outcast that the consensus is having to vote for - it makes you less likely to be a target. So no way would I tell someone they're annoying everyone, unless I was closely allied with that person and had an other realistic target in mind. 

• Love 6

I'm no Superfan--my memory cells can't bear the load--but it seems to me many (many) seasons of Survivor were boring until half a dozen episodes had cleared.  Each team automatically cut their "old folk" first.  Women were next, based on some equation where x is physical strength and y is hotness.  At merge time, everyone scrambled to eliminate the strong male challenge monsters.

The ouster rationales are now SO much more entertaining.  I'm all kinds of pleased that players like Carolyn and Will survive because they didn't register high enough on The Annoying Scale.

• Love 4

It's pretty messed up that you forgot Nina.  She's always being excluded, forgotten, ignored... have some empathy. 

Agreed- I can see Jen getting far.  She's smarter than she lets on, and it seems she allows Hali to take the more prominent/outward role in their obvious-NCBFF-alliance which makes Hali the more attractive vote-off of the two.  I've liked Jen since she did her horse race of "Who's more annoying?" re: Shirin and Max.  "But oh no wait, here comes Max with his foot wart" is the confessional of the season for me, so far.

On that note, an interview with Max from Reality TV World:

I'd like to give each paragraph a separate upthumb. 

The quote from Max is pure nitrous oxide.  I see no reason to think he's being facetious--he clearly believes the editors played up the "annoying" angle as "a misleading clue or fallacy."

Bless your heart; you stick with that, Professor.

Well that was a great episode, the only way it could have been improved was if the other douchetasic bro had gone instead.  I’m not a conspiracy person, so I enjoyed the “coincidence” of the immunity challenge being one that required (virtually) no physical ability.  (And nuNagarote still needed nuEscameca to throw it, bwah ha ha!)

nuNagarote (Red)

I was surprised to find myself as happy as I was to see them win the reward challenge.  I suppose there probably was a bit of, “which tribe is really going to appreciate this more,” going on.  They all seemed to enjoy their turtle time, and Shirin seemed to dial it down considerably; but if they had gone to tribal I have no doubt Shirin would have gone home.

Carolyn horribly misplayed her post-tribal conversation with Shirin, and Hali did very well with hers.  If she was getting significant airtime, I’d think that Hali was trying to cultivate her own group of outsiders.  (Much like whatever Tyler’s quote was last week alluded.)  But with so little political time shown of this group, there are no changes to the rankings.

1. Jenn (1), 2. Hali (2), 3. Carolyn (3), 4. Will (4), 5. Kelly (5), and

6. Shirin (6)  One comment on Shirin, she really seemed to be more integrated with the tribe after her conversation with Hali, (and Carolyn as well.)  If she can make it to the merge, perhaps she can keep herself in check, and bond with the four Escamerans she hasn’t had a chance to “annoy” yet.

nuEscamera (Blue)

Okay, I’ve got to say this early, so I can “get the taste out of my mouth.” : Rodney’s rationale for wanting to throw the challenge (to get rid of Joe,) was reasonable.  Mike’s rationale, to protect Kelly, was even better.  (Also, remember that Joaquin clearly was happy to see Max as the missing piece to the “new Nagarote tribe,” when they arrived at the reward challenge.  If Carolyn was the player who joined the “old” Nagarote’s, then perhaps Kelly was in trouble. (Though we know better here at home.))

And while I enjoyed, for my own viewing pleasure, Mike and Dan turning the vote around, I’ve got to think that Mike made a mistake.  Not for the “wrath of Rodney,” nor for the danger of the brodouchemance strong couple, but because if Joe can rejoin his old tribemates, that group of four is the largest “alliance” left.

[The NoCollar 4, Mike/Kelly/Dan, Carolyn&Tyler, and three free agents: Rodney, Sierra, and Shirin.  If there isn’t a merge at twelve, note that each of the currently existing tribes has an obvious boot from amongst the “free agents,” Rodney and Shirin.]

1. Mike (7)  I thought Sierra would switch, and didn’t realize that the douche-duo would ignore/ ostracize Joe.  Instead, you played a great game of “splitting up the power couples,” while continuing to hide (and protect,) your own.  You do need to not let Dan talk to Sierra, though.

2. Dan (5)
3. Sierra (3)  It isn’t often a swing vote chooses a side, and isn’t perceived as #n/n in the new alliance structure.  Well played - even if you were “voting with your heart, not your head.”
4. Joe (4)  Keep your head low, keep up the soft-sell towards Sierra, and hope for a merge soon.

5. Tyler (1)  You were oddly invisible this episode, but the editors had to tell the tragic love story of Rodney and Joaquin, so that is mildly understandable.  Play hard against Rodney, and try to make inroads with Joe.

6. Rodney (6)  The greatest schadenfreude for me was watching you proclaim how you had Joaquin wrapped around your finger, when it seemed pretty obvious who was more attached to whom.  Note that, if you survive to the merge, you are either an early “quality of life,” boot, or a really strong chance to make it to the end as a goat.  (Ox?  Maybe?)

OUT  Joaquin (2)  Mike outplayed you, pure and simple.  (Also Joe, who was shown hanging out with Sierra, whose vote he needed; while you were hanging out with Rodney, whose vote you had.)  You also overestimated Rodney’s position amongst his old Escamera tribemates - though I’m sure he told you he was in charge.

Edited by Way Wes Jr
  • Love 1

THIS.

It's almost as if producers are "phoning it in"?

I've been a Survivor fan since Season 2 and I can't remember not even giving a shit by the merge.

1st episode yes...but merge time and I have NO faves and am all "meh"?

Guess I need to be calm, cool and collective. (which Rodney said AGAIN in the episode)

• Love 2

Lots of comments upthread call Rodney an idiot for throwing the challenge but either praise or forgive Mike for doing the same thing. Throwing a challenge put both of them in jeopardy. It just so happened that Sierra went with Mike instead of Rodney, which had nothing to do with the intelligence of either Rodney or Mike. Rodney was the one with the bad luck.

Oh, and I still think Rodney lacks intelligence, but you can't praise Mike's challenge throwing while condemning Rodney for the same thing. They were both at the mercy of a third party.

• Love 4

Mike is less dumb.  Throwing a challenge to get rid of someone you don't like or even someone who could win a lot of individual immunities is always a bad idea.  Throwing a challenge to protect your main ally who looks to be in the minority on the other team?  Sometimes justifiable.

Still not a good play if you don't have your ducks lined up though, you're right.

• Love 1

Carolyn's coming across as an insecure bitch. "I can't trust you because you were always talking to other people!"Well then, walk the hell over there and try joining the conversation, Nina Junior.

I didn't get that as insecure so much as cowardly. She wasn't being honest about why she voted against Shirin. She should have said "because you annoy me" and go on from there. Instead she lies and the lie she chooses puts her in the position of plausible anger. So now she just gets to be openly shitting to someone who didn't actually deserve it. 

Edited by EC Amber
  • Love 3

I didn't think Carolyn made a mistake last week voting off Max, but I do think she has made a mistake this week with her handling of the conversation with Shirin.  That was poorly played.  I now foresee a Carolyn boot coming soon..  

• Love 4

THIS.

I've been a Survivor fan since Season 2 and I can't remember not even giving a shit by the merge.

1st episode yes...but merge time and I have NO faves and am all "meh"?

Guess I need to be calm, cool and collective. (which Rodney said AGAIN in the episode)

I am enjoying this season, and while I think it's an improvement over S29, it does seem like the episodes are a whole lot of nothing.  Sometimes I wish every episode could be 90 minutes just to get more interaction with the players.  This past episode was a snooze fest.  It was so obvious with all the footage on Esemeca that they were losing and going to tribal.  Last week was also a snooze fest, minus of course the Max boot.  Week before with Nina?  Zzzz.  I know there's going to be rough spots in even the best seasons, but it does seem like they're just giving up this time.  I'm more interested in the cast this year compared to last, so as long as my favorites hang in there it'll make it worth it.  Once they start getting booted, then I'll be half paying attention.  I love getting to the end of the season to finally hear what Jeff really thinks of it, and what the overall impression is online everywhere.  So far I don't think this season has lived up to its hype, though again, I am enjoying more than I did most of the last few years of Survivor.

And I'm bored by the challenges and cushy rewards.  I liked the RC this past week, and I loved the very first challenge this season (I love those when there's more elements to them).  But I'd like a season with all new challenges that have never been done before.  It seems like they run out of creativity.

I bailed on last season before it started because of Rocker so I don't have a comparison but this cast is just not very interesting to me.  I need somebody that I at least sort of like to enjoy a season.

That said, the pre-merge portion is always the least interesting.

• Love 1

I feel sorry for all the innocent fish that were killed in a sweaty brown oil slick when Dan's underwear floated out to sea.

Whoever was calling his underpants a banana hammock should have said gherkin hammock. Not that you'd ever see that gherkin in the first place because it lives under an enormous mountain of fat and is further hidden by a dense tangle of gray orangutan pubes.

The only thing grosser would be having to sit on a blanket with him while drinking hot chocolate and eating mac & cheese.

Legit spit take while reading that. Hot soy latte everywhere.

I agree the challenges have been a snooze, but I remember past seasons where Jeff didn't even bother to show up during the RCs.

Edited by Lakewood27

I bailed on last season before it started because of Rocker so I don't have a comparison but this cast is just not very interesting to me.  I need somebody that I at least sort of like to enjoy a season.

That said, the pre-merge portion is always the least interesting.

I almost bailed on it, but I thought once we got to the merge it would get good.  That is usually the make or break point of a season for me.  The TC were interesting, and I loved some of the blindsides post-merge.  Keith was one of the more interesting and bumbling characters we've seen.  But in terms of the cast, as a whole, I felt it was one of the weakest ones we've had.  I enjoyed the BvsW concept with former contestants and families, but some of the contestants last season would have been better off playing as individuals rather than having someone else in the game to worry about.  Considering Jeff's take once the season was over, he must have felt the same way.  Which is why I'm anxious to get to the end of this season, to hear what he really thought of it.

BTW, does anyone have the finale date?  

But if nobody spoke up and told her what she was doing was annoying some of them, they really have only themselves to blame.

Except it's in nobody's interest to speak up against someone who's annoying enough to be moved to the front of the boot list.  The whole idea is to not get voted out.  If someone other-than-you presents themselves in such a way as to encourage others to want to vote them off, why try to correct them?

• Love 4